Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls (Pt 1, Brad is Good at Games)

• 184 results
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

wariomona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@groin said:

@wariomona said:

This game should turn into an endurance run instead, I think. At least in my experience, Demon's Souls is much more an RPG compared to Dark Souls. And unless restricted to melee only, is probably the easiest of the Breaking Brad games he's done. But then, I never got as screwed over by invasions like Brad did... ^_^;;

How are you defining RPG? Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have very similar mechanics. Their stat and weapon upgrade systems are similar as well.

Well, as I said this was me, but Dark Souls I feel like I had to overcome obstacles by getting better at rolling and other actions, while Demon's Souls I progressed by solving puzzles and farming for equipment. Being good at the action part didn't help as much.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Brad needs to learn to just go for it more, these are quickly becoming grueling to watch with his constant hesitation and lack of showmanship that Vinny had. He should stop bugging out every single time he gets a scrape from an enemy and focus on playing instead of cursing, also.

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Step One: Use the shield. Brad pls

Step Two: Trust Vinny.

Perform Step Three after completing Steps One and Two.

Step Three: Watch Credits.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Vinny is our Dark Lord, he is dropping like the most blatant of hints. Please trust him Mr. Shoemaker :(

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Brad also needs to realize the more he dies the harder the enemies become because his world tendency will continually shift to black making the enemies even harder. Demon's Souls is WAY meaner than Dark Souls. Its not insurmountable but its a test of patience. The more you want to rush the more the game punishes you.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By soldierg654342

@demoskinos said:

Brad also needs to realize the more he dies the harder the enemies become because his world tendency will continually shift to black making the enemies even harder. Demon's Souls is WAY meaner than Dark Souls. Its not insurmountable but its a test of patience. The more you want to rush the more the game punishes you.

That's only in Body Form. You can die as much s you want in Souls Form, it would effect the World Tendency. Also, playing online resets your World Tendency to White at some point, so it doesn't matter anyway.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

That's only in Body Form. You can die as much s you want in Souls Form. Also, playing online resets your world tendency to White at some point, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Ah, true. I forgot that it was only in body form.

zoggy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anyone have a link to the archive of ep 3?

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoggy1: it's coming Vinny said it will be up slower than usual.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoggy1: it's coming Vinny said it will be up slower than usual.

Was hoping it would be up when I got home. Hope it'll be up soon.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#162  Edited By Humanity

I'm increasingly growing to enjoy how Brad will run off to check what items he picked up, even in the middle of a boss fight. Haha it's hilarious to watch how different someone else plays a game.

I'm glad they realized that this needs to be done more often than once a week too.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The invasion wasn't a big deal, but it doesn't really make for good streaming. I know it's Demon's Souls and everything, but I want Brad to move forward instead of having setbacks caused by sociopaths.

@savage said:

@mb: Here's my synopsis for episode 2:

In an exertion of daring, Floogan managed to lure away one of the red dragons, then made off with all of its treasure. He then proceeded to finish 1-1, making short work of Phalanx with Soul Arrow. After returning to the Nexus to meet the Monumental and The Maiden in Black, he set off for Stonefang Tunnel (2-1). No sooner had he met the Filthy Man than he was invaded and slain by a particularly cruel Black Phantom wielding the Scraping Spear. With his gear all broken and his spirit nearly so, Floogan wandered into The Tower of Latria (3-1) where he lucked upon a brand new set of Wizard Clothes, helping him to get back up on his feet.

Just finished part two. This is great, but you have to include the boulder mishap!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I beat the boss Brad was stuck on today. Took me two tries. He wasn't tough once I figure out what his weakness for melee players is. It's a really weird one, too. The game acts like it's not even doing anything but you have to keep at it.

I wonder if he'll figure it out.

I do think he should go back at this point and do 2-1 and 3-1 first. 4-1 isn't too terribly hard or anything but he can get a lot of good sorcerer stuff in 3-1 and 2-1 has a lot of crafting materials so he can do upgrades. I think he'd maybe have a easier time, but I don't actually know that.

One thing I can say about Demon's Souls that I've found: The bosses all seem to require much more thought than Dark Souls. So far, anyway, they've all seemed like puzzles with big life bars (I've taken out 5 demons if you count the grey demon in the 4-1 court yard). It's interesting to see how far their (the team at From that develops the Souls games) design has come since, too.

The only thing I have no grasp of at all is the World/Character Tendency stuff. It always looks the same to me. I'm hoping I can just ignore it. We'll see.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I have no grasp of at all is the World/Character Tendency stuff. It always looks the same to me. I'm hoping I can just ignore it. We'll see.

I actually looked into Tendencies when I originally played Demon's Souls a few years ago. I succeeded in doing everything in each world, but I don't think it was worth it other than having the satisfaction of doing it.

The loot wasn't worthless for me (from what I remembered), but I ended up going back to equipment/items I originally had (that Purple Shield Brad got was something I used for the majority of the game).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By ripelivejam

loving those descriptions, can't wait for the complete Aria of Floogan :')

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#167  Edited By Sterling

I can't believe vinny didn't tell him about the merchant in the hole.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invading is fine and a part of the game.

That spear is a product of bad game design and only serves to make PvP less fun. I'm glad that From realized this and removed it from Dark Souls.

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmfjohnson: There's no penalty to unplugging the internet, or even turning off your PS3 (Although you run the risk of corrupting your save). I did it a lot when I played the final parts of DeS and nothing bad happened.

I haven't seen the latest episode (Just finished part two) but it's laughable to see people defending the asshole invader with the scraping spear. It takes a lot of time and effort to craft the +7 spear in the first place, not to mention the guy also had Yurt's armour equipped (Which to be fair is the most appropriate armour to wear considering what he was doing). I'm not sure what ring or spell he was using to regenerate health that fast but there's no way you could deny he was a low-level griefer.

Who knows, maybe the invader was just really into role playing and thought "HEY, wouldn't it be a great idea if I foreshadowed how much of a prick Yurt was? That'll really help Brad!".

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what ring or spell he was using to regenerate health that fast but there's no way you could deny he was a low-level griefer.

The guy was obviously griefing, or at least using the cheapest, easiest possible way to beat new players (by destroying their armour and weapons).

The Scraping Spear is legitimate in the sense that it's in the game and you can use it, but it's also clearly pretty unbalanced, and there's a reason From don't have any weapons like that in Dark Souls, and you bet your ass there won't be any in DS2 either.

His health regen came from the Adjudicator's shield and almost certainly had the Regenerator's Ring on.

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By jchenderson

I think the only thing wrong with Brad invasions is people are watching the stream and can invade knowing what they are going to get. Invasions where no one knows what the fuck they are up against is A OK and in the full spirit of what I believe the developers wanted.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: the real problem with that asshole invader was the stupid health regen gear he had on. Brad would've won if that guy didn't recover 3 times his health bar in a minute. Totally broken mechanics like that are the reason dark souls is a better game

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By musubi

@pyrodactyl: Can't say I agree. I vastly prefer Demon's Souls. In fact Ive never beaten Dark Souls because I always get bored before I get to the end. Demons Souls however I finished an put a ton of time into.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By kishinfoulux

@demoskinos said:

@kishinfoulux: That isn't something that you get to pick. Even as an invader you're taking a bit of a risk. You invade and it throws you in whatever world you get thrown in to. People are acting like this guy had some vendetta or something which I almost guarantee you isn't the case. Demon's Souls simply does not fuck around. Brad will have to learn to sink or swim real quick with this game. He's going to have to learn how to PvP well if he continues to play online. That WILL be a weapon you see a lot in PvP. It has nothing to do with someone wanting to ruin the stream that is just how the Demons Souls PvP scene is. Just as people in Dark Souls PvP used to abuse the hell out of the fog ring before it was nerfed.

As I said there's a difference between just beating Brad and destroying all his equipment. That's a shitty thing to do.

That dude just seemed like a dick who preys on newbie players. Do I know that for sure? No. Sure came off that way though. Hell if I started a new game in Demon Souls I'd probably run into that dude too.

@zacagawea said:

Brad needs to learn to just go for it more, these are quickly becoming grueling to watch with his constant hesitation and lack of showmanship that Vinny had. He should stop bugging out every single time he gets a scrape from an enemy and focus on playing instead of cursing, also.

Agreed. I was tolerant at first, but it's getting absurd now. He'll deliberate "left" or "right" for what seems like an eternity. Just pick one and go man. Not like you can't check out the other option later. It's great that he's cautious about things and isn't reckless, but sitting there and doing nothing isn't good for anyone. Also he really does seem to have an excuse for everything that doesn't go his way.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Why do you think Brad is so cautious? It's because assholes in the chat can't wait to abuse him for making a mistake because they have this preconceived notion that he's bad at games.

Can you not just let him play how he wants to play without picking over everything he does?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

Why do you think Brad is so cautious? It's because assholes in the chat can't wait to abuse him for making a mistake because they have this preconceived notion that he's bad at games.

Can you not just let him play how he wants to play without picking over everything he does?

No because it's his nature. Nowhere did I say he's bad at games. I'm not one of those people.

He can play however he wants, but expect to be criticized when he's doing absolutely nothing. He quibbles over every little thing. "Oh this tactic is cheap I shouldn't be doing this". Dude fucking who cares? Man it's so cheap that this ranged spell caster is attacking from range effectively. Derp. That sort of thing drives me nuts. In a game like this you take any advantage you can get.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By TowerSixteen

@kishinfoulux: Aye, he tends to freeze up as well in high-stress situations because he overthinks things, which I think is a related issue. He doesn't seem to be that great at just going for it and trusting to his reactions and instincts, and the game punishes him for it. Given that he's always been like that, in QL's as well, I don't think it fair to blame it on a chat he doesn't even see most of the time.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@ramone said:

No because it's his nature. Nowhere did I say he's bad at games. I'm not one of those people.

He can play however he wants, but expect to be criticized when he's doing absolutely nothing. He quibbles over every little thing. "Oh this tactic is cheap I shouldn't be doing this". Dude fucking who cares? Man it's so cheap that this ranged spell caster is attacking from range effectively. Derp. That sort of thing drives me nuts. In a game like this you take any advantage you can get.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. Stop wasting your time complaining about the way someone else plays a game, I'm sure there are more productive things you could be doing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

New synopsis for the new episode?

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

He isn't bad at games, he just cracks under any sort of pressure. Just look at that Dantes Inferno quick look.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tonight could be the night that finally breaks Brad if he continues down 4.2. I went through Demon's Souls with a magic build and definitely found 4.2 to be the most frustrating part of the game. So many easy ways to die makes it a pain to retrieve your souls and you'll always have a massive amount. There also aren't any shortcuts unless I missed them. I guess it's kind of balanced out by the fact that 4.3 is such a joke.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Brad's lizard mania is amazing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: 4-2 is like not hard at all assuming you have the Thief's ring and a bow. The cliffside in 4-1 is annoying but also not particularly hazardous. Shrine of Storms as a whole is a relaxing soul farming bonanza.