What does Destiny do that Mass Effect didn't do better?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I mean we have your bullshit sci fi, your magical space powers, your over emphasis on shooting, your thinly disguised usage of the same environments, and even an RNG loot system in ME3 multiplayer. As someone who thinks Mass Effect was a pretty good but not amazing series I'm not really seeing anything about Destiny that makes it particularly exciting by comparison (Borderlands at least has some random crazy shit). You might have the option to punch dudes in Destiny but can you punch reporters?

I mean it probably has better shooting but if that's the only thing you've got going for you... there's a lot of pew pew games out there.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

I, uh...

Hmm..

After thinking for a minute, I just wanna ditch Destiny for more ME3.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Far more open areas? A hoverbike you can summon out of nowhere? A more interesting skill tree than Borderlands's "Half percent shaved off of shield recharge time"? A multiplayer where you can see other dudes doing stuff at random a la Journey? And... well... muchbetter shooting?

Don't get me wrong, Destiny probably isn't going to be a better game than Mass Effect 2 overall, but it does have some qualities that differentiate it. It kinda just sounds like you're bagging on Destiny. If you're trolling... well, this is some crappy trolling.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

They aren't even similar games. I don't know what you're talking about here.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Run on my ps4

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nasp

well you dont get the RNG loot in the single player which is what people play it for.so if we are comparing mass effect single player to destiny,ill take destiny.if we compare the mp me3 had which had loot and so on,ide still take destiny.the thing destiny does is combine the sp and mp together,which i like better then what mass effect did.destiny is also way bigger since its open world.its alot deeper in the customization department from what ive seen as well.so what does destiny do better ?well from what ive seen pretty much everything except for the story and characters,which considering destiny is more mmo like and mass effect is more story and character driven that makes sense.since i care about gameplay and customization and so on more then a story or characters i dont think its much of a contest for which ill like more.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Normally I got a keen eye for it when it comes to your stuff but I have no idea on this one.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Run on my ps4

This is definitely the correct answer.

I'm not trolling, just curious. Obviously we haven't seen the full game yet but you can basically see what the loop entails which is essentially a prettier version of Defiance with less players. Fundamentally they're (ME and Destiny) similar games even if the genre split is more in favor of shooting on Destiny's side (though the appeal of Destiny isn't supposed to just be the shooting), except instead of having interesting characters to talk to you have laughably bad soliloquies.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I'm pretty opposed to the idea that things need to be spectacular or especially unique just to be superb. Destiny looks like a hyper-polished Bungie product. For a lot of people, that's enough. And for a lot of people, pew pew games are the games they want.

Personally, I think Mass Effect is a bizarre comparison. Sure, they are both space related sort of, but not really in the same way at all. I think they are totally different and equally interesting and inviting, at least to me. Both hit on very specific and appealing influences, and I'm really looking forward to Destiny.

It doesn't need to do things "better" than Mass Effect. It's a completely different game.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By KaneRobot

On a related note, what did Kid Icarus do that God of War 2 didn't do better?

Come on. Completely different games that share mildly similar thematic elements. I don't understand how someone could even come up with a question like this.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By freakin9

Destiny doesn't seem particularly unique or interesting, it does however seem like the kind of mass produced crap people will gobble up.

I don't think that's a bad thing, I'm not opposed to companies doing what they need to do to make the most money.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Well, it seems more grander in scope... That's all I got.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

On a related note, what did Kid Icarus do that God of War 2 didn't do better?

If we're judging by Uprising, then...

• Story
  • Characterization
  • Weapon variety
  • Gameplay variety
  • Multiplayer
  • Fun homage moments

...Sorry. You weren't being serious, were you?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: The original ME did have big environments and a vehicle that appeared out of nowhere (so did the ME2 Firewalker DLC), you can even make the tank spawn in interior environments for PC via console/mods.

Loading Video...

Ruined_Fokkusu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll add Co-Op to the list of things Destiny does better.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts exactly.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I don't understand this comparison at all. Destiny is a MMOish shooter thing and Mass Effect is a single-player RPG shooter thing. While both are set in space and involve pressing the right trigger to shoot, they are going for completely different things.

It's like comparing any RPG with vaguely tactical combat to Vagrant Story or something.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: ME3 has the same kind of co-op, waves of various types of enemies; just the powers you use work in tandem with your allies and don't have absurdly long cooldowns. The "open world" aspect of the game seems to mainly just be a go-between for instances; you could grind there if you wanted but it isn't the main focus of the gameplay/missions.

HockeyJohnston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an action game, and ME never was?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Complex co-op boss fights? I'm assuming the game will have those.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin9 said:

Destiny doesn't seem particularly unique or interesting, it does however seem like the kind of mass produced crap people will gobble up.

I don't think that's a bad thing, I'm not opposed to companies doing what they need to do to make the most money.

Obviously you do.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

It's a bad comparison. Destiny is set in the ruins of a once great Space Empire that spanning the solar system. Mass Effect is a space empire in its prime. Different things.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer: That would be cool, but I think you'd need more than 3 players for it to be super special awesome. I think technically everything has to be doable solo without "creative usage of game mechanics."

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

@artisanbreads said:

My thoughts exactly.

I cant believe anyone would play Destiny when you can play Poy Poy 2 on the PS1. It is clearly the superior game.

Loading Video...

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are completely different games. I don't understand

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't touched the beta and doubt I'll ever play Destiny, but I can already tell you what it does better than Mass Effect:

-no boring, whiny characters (Tali, mostly) that the game forces you to engage with and foster "relationships" with

-more rewarding gameplay in every area

-not stealing the only worthwhile mechanic from Gears of War and making it less interesting

-seriously, fuck Tali. Also, Garrus is a douche

-I was gonna say a better ending, but I finished 3 before Bioware shit the bed and caved to fan pressure to make it different, and I liked the "everything everywhere gets fucked" ending originally, because I wanted the game to end that badly

I didn't like the Mass Effect series after the first game, and I mostly liked that one for its potential to get better (surprise, they got worse). This was mostly a vehicle for me to rant about Mass Effect, if you couldn't tell.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: ME3 has the same kind of co-op, waves of various types of enemies; just the powers you use work in tandem with your allies and don't have absurdly long cooldowns. The "open world" aspect of the game seems to mainly just be a go-between for instances; you could grind there if you wanted but it isn't the main focus of the gameplay/missions.

I don't see how that's true. ME3 only had wave-based survival on small arena maps. Destiny has more mission types than that, including ones where you progress through a "dungeon" as part of a story. That really isn't the same kind of co-op.

Also, you can't just dismiss the open world because it's largely used as a traveling area between dungeons, story missions, etc. That's true of nearly every open world game/game with an overworld, since it's harder to script stuff out in the open that can't easily be broken by players walking around it, or jumping a car over it and trivializing it. Having that open world is a legitimate feature that makes the pacing of the game feel different, one that the ME3 co-op didn't have.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@artisanbreads said:

This is the only answer to this poorly thought out question.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@bisonhero: That's true of most games with open worlds, but it certainly isn't true of MMOs/MMO wannabes; it's not really something that makes it substantially different if it is simply a place you walk around for a while. A dungeon in Destiny appears to just be a glorified arena mode (which is how almost every interior lengthy encounter in Halo played out) spread over several maps/corridors.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

With this response, I can pretty easily write this off as you stretching things to make a rather silly point.

@believer258: The original ME did have big environments and a vehicle that appeared out of nowhere (so did the ME2 Firewalker DLC), you can even make the tank spawn in interior environments for PC via console/mods.

Loading Video...

Not as big, and spawning vehicles in with mods or console commands doesn't count.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By maddman60620
No Caption Provided

Dr Bill Cosby is confused and/or perplexed by your quarry of how Mass Effect has 'gotten wrong' and/or made a mistake in its presentation of a science fictional story and/or gameplay in comparison to the yet to be released Destiny's science fictional setting and/or game works.......

please tell Dr Cosby WHAT?!?!?! do you mean in your thesis........

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Corevi

They are completely different games in every way.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@fredchuckdave said:

With this response, I can pretty easily write this off as you stretching things to make a rather silly point.

I mean, yeah, I think we all realized that pretty quickly once we read through the thread.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fredchuckdave

These lack of argument arguments are pretty impressive. "You can't compare an RPG/Shooter in a space future setting to another RPG/Shooter in a space future setting, how dare you!" Perhaps I've failed to realize the cataclysmic difference between a Shooter RPG and an RPG Shooter that makes them so far apart in the grand scheme of things as to completely negate any need for comparison.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Destiny doesn't have any Volus though so point to Mass Effect.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It doesn't play like complete dog-shit. It's got that going for it.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny handles romances better but that's my opinion of what Bioware writing turned into, it also has better writing than what ME turned into. ME2 was a great great great third person cover-shooter and I like it even today, Destiny is a great great first person shooter and I really want to play the heck outta it once it gets here, but they are so different. Destiny's got the flow of WoW, if Borderlands got the flow of Elder Scrolls Online when it comes to combat. Destiny has the online player versus player that I've long wanted out of Mass Effect, it's kinda got the psi-powers too, so that is the largest step above it for me. You'll hear me mope if ME4 won't have any player on player action, it's a waste of IP.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk: Thanks for actually delivering a response that actually poses an argument. You must not like Borderlands very much with that comparison, poor Borderlands. I could see PvP doing it if the powers were capable of dictating more than 50% of the gameplay, which maybe they will in time?

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Mass Effect is one of my favorite game series ever, and I doubt that I'm going to have the same lasting love for Destiny, but my time spent with the Destiny beta has been really enjoyable. I sincerely doubt Destiny is going to have nearly as compelling a universe, characters, or story as ME. That being said, I'm enjoying the gunplay a hell of a lot more in Destiny than I ever did in ME. The main enjoyment I got out of ME was the story, and I feel like the main enjoyment I'm going to get out of Destiny is the action and rolling with a couple friends.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Destiny has better co-op.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BisonHero

@fredchuckdave said:

These lack of argument arguments are pretty impressive. "You can't compare an RPG/Shooter in a space future setting to another RPG/Shooter in a space future setting, how dare you!" Perhaps I've failed to realize the cataclysmic difference between a Shooter RPG and an RPG Shooter that makes them so far apart in the grand scheme of things as to completely negate any need for comparison.

People gave countersarguments to the tenuous link you supposed existed between the two games, to which you said "Poorly conceived, not good enough", so in turn, our response to your thread overall is quickly shifting to "Poorly conceived, not good enough". You're obviously not going to concede this point, since apparently all sci-fi shooters with RPG mechanics are indistinguishable to you.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By benderunit22

Ultimately, what I came for in Mass Effect and what I come for in Destiny (judging by the alpha) is entirely different. Mass Effect is a space opera in the style of Star Trek, it's about characters and their relationships. I can overlook the mediocre combat mechanics and typical cover-based shooter level design with hip-high boxes all over the place. What the Destiny alpha sold me on was the fact that it played incredibly well, a thing Jeff pointed out multiple times both in their alpha quick look and the recent "unfinished." It also hints at the underlying loot system, which is something I enjoy a lot. Finally, the dungeon/raid structure of co-op missions was interesting.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much better, tighter gameplay, more seamless flow between menus. the strike missions are more fun than the co op stuff in me3. there's a loot grind aspect to it thats diablo-esque, not to mention theres a lot of spontaneous moments that can happen in the areas due to having players spawn in and out and the random events that happen throughout the course of the world.

yes there is borderlands, but i could care less for that world and its characters, that world seems very annoying. this world seems very promising. its an interesting take on a sci fi post apocalypse.

yes there is call of duty and battlefield for "pew pew" but again, this has the wrappings of a sci-fi world instead of real life military, it has some freshness to it. its no revolution, but its execution of the tried and true standards of the genre is very promising.

and also, your judging a 6 mission beta with 3 multiplayer maps thats roughly supposedly 10-15% of the game, to the experience you had over the course of a trilogy of games, thats not really a fair fight, and thats very prejudgemental and shows your very jaded if all you see is "pew pew"

at least let the final game come out before arguments like this start. but you seem far up your own ass with your opinion between the 2 series to listen to anyone else as you have dismissed any form of conversation that people have tried to have with you.

peace.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I don't think any of us can start making comparisons we know nothing of, like the world size of destiny just because it's "open world." Let's hold off a bit on everything until the full game comes out.

I blame "Early Access" & "Unfinished" content for making this seem acceptable!

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is that Destiny has good gameplay

I never liked Mass Effect's

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Half the time when I see Destiny trailers in my store I think it's some weird Mass Effect clip. There's exploding blue magic gravity balls and Warlocks look like Tali and they're all in shiny plastocrete whatever combat suits with shiny track lights. It looks a lot like Mass Effect.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I'm just imagining Borderlandsy gameplay in a Mass Effectesque universe written by Bungie and I doubt any game will ever live up to these expectations...

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's actually fun to play?

Ok, I'm being harsh, but the combat is vastly better. I like (love) Mass Effect for it's universe, for the dialogue part of things and simply as a concept. It's a more "fun" Star Trek with a touch of Star Wars. But that part of Destiny can't be judged yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

The gameplay part is pretty different.