Buying Diablo III? How many times will that make it?

• 59 results
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Buying Diablo III? How many times will that make it? (208 votes)

Only once. This is my first time. It'll be the PS4 / Xbox One version. 25%
Only once. This is my first time. It'll be the PS3 / 360 version. 2%
Two times. This and the PC version. 38%
Two times. This and the PS3 / Xbox 360 version. 13%
Three times. PC, PS3 / Xbox 360, and now UEE for PS4 / Xbox One. 23%

Just curious how many people will be buying this for the second time or more.

• 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I'll likely one day buy the PS4 version (after already buying and enjoying D3 on PS3) when it goes down a little in price. I'll should also likely have a PS4 myself by then as well.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tempted to get it for last-gen consoles, but I think I'll wait until I get a PS4 and I probably won't get it until it's on sale.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm curious about the ps4 version, but considering I already own and have played a ton of the game on PC already I'd really want to try it before I buy it. Would suck to buy the game again only to realize that it's just an inferior version.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

I'm curious about the ps4 version, but considering I already own and have played a ton of the game on PC already I'd really want to try it before I buy it. Would suck to buy the game again only to realize that it's just an inferior version.

If you already have the reaper of souls expansion, probably don't bother. If you only have the main game, I think it might be worth it. Lots of people seem to really enjoy playing it with a controller, and I believe a demo is available for PS3 and 360 if you want to get a rough idea of how using a controller with the game would feel.

There are also some console only exclusive features, but the next PC update will bring its own set of exclusive features--mostly tied to leader boards--so do your research before you decide which to pickup.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I've bought it twice (well, received it on PC for "free") and am considering a third purchase. I enjoyed what I played of it on the older consoles--it actually feels pretty damn good, if not better, on a controller. I like mindless games that I can listen to music with or watch shows or something, but ARPGs require a bit too much focus to split my attention sometimes. The only thing stopping me is spending another $60 on something I already own on PC, especially considering the pretty bleh endgame with D3. I dunno.

I'll probably end up buying it on impulse on Tuesday, when everyone's talking about. Ugh, I hate my inability to not spend money on a weekly basis.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I got Diablo 3 for PS3 and was going to get the expansion for PS3 but then I learned that the PS3/360 versions would not be supported past launch and that they lacked a few things compared to PC and newer consoles so I ended up buying D3 and the expansion for PC. So Twice for me.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the PC version, and I've ordered the PS4 one. However, I've technically only bought it once, I got the PC for free.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

There is no reason to get it on console if you already have D3 and the expansion.

I've played the PS3 version of D3 and now the expansion on PC and apart from playing with a controller there is no difference to speak of. It used to be that the console version was superior but since they patched loot 2.0 into PC earlier this year there is no longer any difference. The only other thing would be if you play couch co-op, that is only on console, but most people play co-op over the internet.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@dagas said:

@ares42 said:

There is no reason to get it on console if you already have D3 and the expansion.

I've played the PS3 version of D3 and now the expansion on PC and apart from playing with a controller there is no difference to speak of. It used to be that the console version was superior but since they patched loot 2.0 into PC earlier this year there is no longer any difference. The only other thing would be if you play couch co-op, that is only on console, but most people play co-op over the internet.

Sure there is: if you want to sit on a couch and play it with a controller. It isn't that different, sure, but I feel there is a more laid-back feeling to playing console games over PC games.

Avatar image for invader_doomest
Invader_DooMest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I'm not a fan of what they did to Diablo and how the story just feels so "Meh". However, the gameplay is still there and I surprised how much more I enjoyed it having it on a console. I wasn't going to buy the PS4 version until I read you can bring characters over. They didn't have to do that but they did and that was a major win for me.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If I cant move my characters from PC to ps4, then I'll stick with the PC version and just buy Reaper of Souls at some point.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

@ares42 said:

Sure there is: if you want to sit on a couch and play it with a controller. It isn't that different, sure, but I feel there is a more laid-back feeling to playing console games over PC games.

If you have got money to burn then sure. I would have gotten that on PS4 if I had one, but I got that on PC since the PS3 version won't be supported with patches. But is playing with a controller in the sofa or bed or wherever you play worth the $/€60 when you already own the game? I would say for 99 % of people it is not. It is not an enchanced remake like Persona 4 Golden or something, it is a port of the same game.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought vanilla D3 for PS3 and haven't gotten around to it yet. Yet, I'm still tempted to buy this one, though I might wait until after I buy a next gen console, which I don't plan on doing for another year or so. I know I'm going to enjoy it, I just need the time to get around to it.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By newmoneytrash

I liked Diablo III a lot, but I just don't like sitting at my computer to play games any more so I never really finished it. I'm super excited to get the PS4 version, tbh.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i bought D3 on ps3,and im buying the ultimate evil edition for ps3 as well.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ripelivejam

Wondering how ultimate the evil is with this one if we're going to see a 2nd expansion down the line. Guess it'll probably be another year at last.

Tempted to pick this up regardless, though it'd mostly be for a little couch coop. I'll miss the silky framerate i get on peecee.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mike

You should have included a "Have it on PC, not buying it again" option.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LikeaSsur

Good thing I already bought it on the PC. Heck, I got the base game for free.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By splodge

only once, on PC

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanna do couch co-op with my friends, and I want to play it with a controller so it's worth buying it a second time.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be my first time. Getting it on ps4.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What does buying it once on the PC and then getting the expansion count as? 1.5?

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This house already got two free copies on the PC (thanks to the WoW annual pass thing), and we also bought the PS3 version. At this point, to catch up we'd either have to buy two separate copies of the expansion for PC, or just buy one copy of the PS4 version. So, it's actually the cheaper option.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ajamafalous

There is no "I have it on PC and am not buying a console version because the PC version is objectively superior" option.

Don't come at me with a "Not if you want couch co-op/controller!" response. That may be a feature that you want that sells you on the console version, but it doesn't mean the PC version isn't still the better game up and down.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@dagas said:

@ares42 said:

If you have got money to burn then sure. I would have gotten that on PS4 if I had one, but I got that on PC since the PS3 version won't be supported with patches. But is playing with a controller in the sofa or bed or wherever you play worth the $/€60 when you already own the game? I would say for 99 % of people it is not. It is not an enchanced remake like Persona 4 Golden or something, it is a port of the same game.

I think it really comes to how you feel about mouse and keyboards versus controllers. If you don't mind mouse and keyboard controls then the console versions probably won't offer much. However, if you feel like playing with M&K is clunky and uncomfortable to the point that it negatively impacts the experience then it probably doesn't matter if you can play it on PC if you won't enjoy it.

I played the game on PC when it first came out, but between my crappy PC and general dislike of M&K I never had any urge to go back to it. But if I had $60 to spare right now I'd totally buy it. To be fair, I never bought RoS though, so it would kinda be like P4 Golden for me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no "I have it on PC and am not buying a console version because the PC version is objectively superior" option.

Don't come at me with a "Not if you want couch co-op/controller!" response. That may be a feature that you want that sells you on the console version, but it doesn't mean the PC version isn't still the better game up and down.

But is it really that much better if I don't like playing it? I can totally put on my objectivity hat and recognize stuff like the UI is way better, but at the end of the day all of that is superfluous for a game like this compared to the control scheme. "The PC version is objectively better....unless you want to play with a controller" is pretty much the most accurate description possible.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Third Time.

First on PC, but then all my friends went and got the 360 version, so I bought that one too. Now I'll get it for PS4, but not Day 1.

For the record: I don't generally like buying the same game multiple times.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it when it first released on PC, and haven't felt the need to pay any more money for the console versions. I'd probably try it out if it were free or even heavily discounted for owners of other versions.

I just don't understand why PC fanboys feel the need to open their big mouths and make all of us look socially inept and self-important. That's not an option in the poll because it was specifically about people who ARE buying the most recent iteration of the game.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The third time... Not bad for a game which I didn't really liked after it's initial release.

Now after the patches and RoS I consider it my "perfect" podcast game.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it when it first released on PC, and haven't felt the need to pay any more money for the console versions. I'd probably try it out if it were free or even heavily discounted for owners of other versions.

@ajamafalous said:

I just don't understand why PC fanboys feel the need to open their big mouths and make all of us look socially inept and self-important. That's not an option in the poll because it was specifically about people who ARE buying the most recent iteration of the game.

I'm not a PC fanboy by any means, I can just recognize that the PC version of Diablo is a far better experience.

Again, if someone prefers to play it on the couch or with a controller, that's totally fine, but that doesn't make it a better game from an objective standpoint; it just means that, to them, it's worth losing some other features to gain couch co-op or controller support.

Also, the poll doesn't say "this is only for people who are buying the most recent iteration" because the OP specifically says "Just curious how many people will be buying this for the second time or more," not "I am only looking for answers from people who are." My response is "I am a person who is not buying this for the second time or more."

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Spoonman671

@spoonman671 said:

@ajamafalous said:

I'm not a PC fanboy by any means, I can just recognize that the PC version of Diablo is a far better experience.

Again, if someone prefers to play it on the couch or with a controller, that's totally fine, but that doesn't make it a better game from an objective standpoint; it just means that, to them, it's worth losing some other features to gain couch co-op or controller support.

Also, the poll doesn't say "this is only for people who are buying the most recent iteration" because the OP specifically says "Just curious how many people will be buying this for the second time or more," not "I am only looking for answers from people who are." My response is "I am a person who is not buying this for the second time or more."

Whatever you need to tell yourself, man. I'm just trying to explain to you that when you say things like that you come off like a dick.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By altairre

No Caption Provided

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Once on PC, 2 years ago.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altairre: @spoonman671: Here's an analogous example: the PS3 version of Borderlands 2 is objectively better than the Vita version, but if you want to play it on the go, then the Vita version is going to be the version for you. That doesn't suddenly make the PS3 version worse; it's still a far better version of the game. It just means that, for your needs, the Vita version is better.

If you disagree with that, then we don't have anything more to say to each other. Again, I have no issue at all with someone preferring the console version of Diablo III because they want to relax on the couch, play couch co-op, feel more comfortable playing it with a controller, have a big TV, or whatever else. If that's the case, then that's absolutely the version they should buy. Saying that that means the PC version isn't objectively better is lying to yourself, though. Nobody ever said that the DS version of Call of Duty 4 was better than the 360 version because 'you can play it on the go' or 'I only have a DS and this is the version that works on that.' They'd be laughed out of town.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By Humanity

@ajamafalous said:
@spoonman671 said:

@ajamafalous said:

Whatever you need to tell yourself, man. I'm just trying to explain to you that when you say things like that you come off like a dick.

He's just letting you know that if you want to be sitting on a couch like a child then you're welcome to do so but objectively speaking, the only real way for serious gamers (PC gamers) to play the game is on PC so this entire thread has been a waste of time because if you were serious about gaming you would have bought it on PC two years ago.

Objectively speaking.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ajamafalous

@humanity said:

@spoonman671 said:

@ajamafalous said:
@spoonman671 said:

@ajamafalous said:

He's just letting you know that if you want to be sitting on a couch like a child then you're welcome to do so but objectively speaking, the only real way for serious gamers (PC gamers) to play the game is on PC so this entire thread has been a waste of time because if you were serious about gaming you would have bought it on PC two years ago.

Objectively speaking.

You guys are all so mad at me for absolutely no reason lol

EDIT: Like, really, point out where in any of my posts I implied that playing on a couch or choosing the console version is 'childish,' or about how PC gamers are better in any way.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I still haven't bought it. Kind of wish there was an option in the poll for me to vote so I could see the results.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm seriously considering buying it for a 3rd time. Which seems crazy to me because while I loved Diablo 3 on PC, I really failed to get into it on PS3, so I have absolutely no idea why I'm feeling the desire to buy it again on PS4. Maybe it's because of the new class.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

My PC is too crappy to run it, so I was waiting for a console release. Then they announced it was going to come to PS4, so I put off getting the PS3 version.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@ajamafalous said:
@spoonman671 said:

@ajamafalous said:

Hi, I'm the person who made the thread. This poll has been placed in the Ultimate Evil Edition forum, and is specifically titled "Buying Diablo III? How many times will that make it?" You're not just wrong, you're objectively wrong.

Also, if one version of a game includes features that another version lacks--which is certainly the case here--neither version can be considered objectively better.

Interestingly enough, the whole issue will be even more divisive soon, when the console version has several features that the PC does not, and the PC version gains a really cool seasons mode that won't be supported on console, due to an increased potential of cheating.

For those interested, here are the new console exclusive features, as taken from the official thread on NeoGAF:

Apprentice Mode

Apprentice Mode allows two characters at different levels to level up easily with each other. Using a side-kick type of system, the lower level character is temporarily boosted up to the higher level for that play session. Both characters get experience and gear according to their base level, as they level together. The lower level character gets a bit of an extra experience boost, to help them level up even faster.

Player Mail

Player Mail will be available, to let players send items to an ingame mailbox of other players on their friends list. It isn't explicitly stated, but it appears that Legendary items won't be bind-on-account to the same degree that they are now in the PC version of Diablo III.

Player Gift

When a Legendary drops for a player, there is a chance for an extra Player Gift to drop, specifically for someone on the friends list. It can be opened by any character on the friend's account, and the item will roll a Rare or Legendary appropriate to that character.

Nemesis System

A fun feature is the Nemesis system, which was previously called Avenger Kills in the previous developer discussion at BlizzCon 2013. If a monster kills your character, there is a chance that it can level up, turn into a different creature, gain new abilities and jump into a portal (and out of your game). Later on that same monster can show up with ominous music in your friend's game, with a name making it clear that it was the monster that killed your character. If the monster kills your friend's character, it gets even more powerful, and can go on to someone else on their friends list! If the monster is killed, there are Player Gifts that can be sent back to the character who it originally killed.

Improved Massacre Bonuses

Some parts of Diablo III haven't had a big impact so far, and are being boosted for this edition to give the game a more "arcadey" feel. Massacre bonuses are being boosted to give more experience and prominence in the display, and each new level reached of the Massacre bonus (10, 20, 30 monsters killed, etc.) provides a chance of dropping a Nephalem Glory globe. The Destruction bonus from destroying 5 or more pieces of furniture or barrels, now provides a little speed boost. Killing enemies with traps like chandeliers is being experimented with, to possibly provide a resource boost.

Improved Class-Specific Loot Assignation

One of the areas that was a little tedious on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions of Diablo III was dealing with loot in a local multiplayer game, where only one person could have their inventory open at once. To help with this further in the PS4 edition, loot in a local multiplayer game will automatically be assigned to a character who can use it. When it shows up on the ground, it's marked for Player 1, Player 2, Player 3, or Player 4. For example, if a Demon Hunter picks up an item with Strength, it will automatically go to the Barbarian in the group, since that's who it was really dropped for.

@hailinel said:

I still haven't bought it. Kind of wish there was an option in the poll for me to vote so I could see the results.

One easy way around this is to either log out for a moment, or open an incognito window.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:
@spoonman671 said:

@ajamafalous said:

Hi, I'm the person who made the thread. This poll has been placed in the Ultimate Evil Edition forum, and is specifically titled "Buying Diablo III? How many times will that make it?" You're not just wrong, you're objectively wrong.

Also, if one version of a game includes features that another version lacks--which is certainly the case here--neither version can be considered objectively better.

Interestingly enough, the whole issue will be even more divisive soon, when the console version has several features that the PC does not, and the PC version gains a really cool seasons mode that won't be supported on console, due to an increased potential of cheating.

For those interested, here are the new console exclusive features, as taken from the official thread on NeoGAF:

snip

1) Wrong in the underlined part, then, but not wrong in the rest of the paragraph. I also think a "Just one: I already own the original on consoles and don't want to buy it again" and a "See Results" option would've been useful. There should really be a See Results option automatically included in every poll, if we're talking about it.

2) If you're getting that granular (and I'm no longer talking about D3 here because of point #3) then you're eliminating comparisons between versions of games altogether, which is dumb, because those comparisons are still useful. I'll refer you to my post from earlier for my reasoning there. Another example: Bayonetta (or Skyrim, etc.) was an objectively better game on 360 than it was on PS3, but saying "No it's not because I don't own a 360 therefore it can't be objectively better because the 360 disc doesn't work on my PS3 therefore the PS3 version is better for me" is asinine.

3) Those added console features seem pretty cool (especially Apprentice and Nemesis).

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overnow said:

I'm seriously considering buying it for a 3rd time. Which seems crazy to me because while I loved Diablo 3 on PC, I really failed to get into it on PS3, so I have absolutely no idea why I'm feeling the desire to buy it again on PS4. Maybe it's because of the new class.

If you havent played the expansion yet then I suggest getting it for pc or ps4. New class is really fun, adventure mode is fantastic, and the new act is solid.

I am thinking of getting the ps4 version just for the couch coop.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question for the experts out there. If I want my first playthrough to last as long as it can, should I start on easy, normal, or hard? I ask, because while I'll go through enemies faster on lower difficulties, I'll also get less experience, which might also make leveling up a little too quick of a process. I'm not really looking for a challenge, I just want the best choice for taking my time without testing my patience. Any advice?

This will be my first time playing, and I'm going to be using the Demon Hunter, who I hear isn't the easiest class to solo with. Played the demo with the barbarian and wizard, so I want to try someone new. Crusader I'm going to save for friends who want to use the new class, and I hate the look of the witch doctor. I like ranged combat, and the turrets look like a lot of fun, so that pretty much explains my choice.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Tennmuerti

@spaceinsomniac: It all depends on how well geared you are for your level and how well you know/play your class. The difficulty can be changed at any time and as a rule of thumb should be. Start on normal, when it starts feeling too easy turn it up a notch, then do it again when hard gets too easy, when you feel like progress starts being too slow just drop the difficulty down. XP gain has no effect on how fast you go through the SP content, only how fast you level up to 70 and after how fast you gain nephalem ranks, but all monsters and bosses are always at your level anyway.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two for me

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:

@ajamafalous said:
@spoonman671 said:

@ajamafalous said:

snip

1) Wrong in the underlined part, then, but not wrong in the rest of the paragraph. I also think a "Just one: I already own the original on consoles and don't want to buy it again" and a "See Results" option would've been useful. There should really be a See Results option automatically included in every poll, if we're talking about it.

2) If you're getting that granular (and I'm no longer talking about D3 here because of point #3) then you're eliminating comparisons between versions of games altogether, which is dumb, because those comparisons are still useful. I'll refer you to my post from earlier for my reasoning there. Another example: Bayonetta (or Skyrim, etc.) was an objectively better game on 360 than it was on PS3, but saying "No it's not because I don't own a 360 therefore it can't be objectively better because the 360 disc doesn't work on my PS3 therefore the PS3 version is better for me" is asinine.

3) Those added console features seem pretty cool (especially Apprentice and Nemesis).

Your absolutely right that the 360 version of Bayonetta is objectively better than the PS3 version. They are completely on par with each other except for better colors and framerate on the 360. Diablo 3 is a different case alltogether. The controls are different and there are new modes that are not included in the PC version. They're different enough that it comes down to preference and whenever that is the case there is no more "objectively". If you own a 360 and a PS3 there is no reason to choose the PS3 version. If you own a PS4/Xbone and a PC that is good enough there are a number of reasons to choose one over the other.

_k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#47  Edited By _k1_

I never played it on PC, but I'm getting the PS4 version.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feels like its one of the most re-released games of all time but I guess its not really that bad at all, not sure where I get that feeling...

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No 'Twice - PC and original 360/ PS3' option? I'm offended.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Corvak

Once, I only own the PC version :)

Though generally thats a combination of not having friends picking it up and why level the same classes twice.