#1 Posted by TheMasterDS (2076 posts) -

DK, Diddy, Dixie and a mysterious unannounced 4th character. Let's run through the possibilities!

• Kiddy. Obvious choice. He was the original 4th playable Kong.
  • Funky. The other obvious choice. He was the 4th DK rep in Mario Kart Wii and he's a great character.
  • A DK64 Kong. Maybe, not sure any would be ideal for a 2D platformer.
  • K. Rool in a Monkey Costume. I came up with this one. I hope it happens.
  • K. Rool without the Monkey Costume. This would be less hilarious but still gerat.
  • A Generic Kremling
  • Mario
  • A Mii

Of the first two I would prefer Funky. However I would much rather see K Rool in a Monkey Suit because I would be highly amused by that.

#2 Edited by punkxblaze (2987 posts) -

Mario would actually be kind of a neat little touch.

#3 Posted by Angouri (232 posts) -

Cranky kong. He's not too busy, is he?

#4 Edited by BeachThunder (11994 posts) -

Wii Fit lady.

#5 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

Lanky

#6 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Scorpion

#7 Posted by MormonWarrior (2599 posts) -

Gosh I hate the DK64 characters. I hope it's not that. Kiddy kong would be alright especially if he was like an adolescent now or something.

#8 Edited by believer258 (11949 posts) -

Kiddy, if they're still going for the nostalgia factor. And since it's Nintendo, well, they're going for the nostalgia factor.

I guess I wouldn't rule out Funky. To be honest, none of those would surprise me, but I just think it's more likely to be Kiddy.

#9 Posted by GunstarRed (5213 posts) -

Bayonetta.

#10 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Fiddy Centipede

#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

King Kong.

#12 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

Actually it's just a donkey. Voiced by Eddie Murphy

#13 Posted by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

I hope it's Kiddy!

#14 Posted by ShaggE (6478 posts) -

Putnam Whipple (as Yonkey Dong).

#15 Edited by evanbower (1213 posts) -

Probably Kiddy, hopefully Funky.

#16 Edited by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

I hope it's Funky. I hope even more it's K. Rool.

#17 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Donkey Kong again.

#18 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

Mega Man.

My guess would be Kiddy Kong because that would make it the whole DKC cast.

#19 Posted by AcidcoreA1varez (10 posts) -
Hmmm... Something tells me its a bear from the DKC3 :D like Banjo!
#20 Posted by The_Ruiner (1065 posts) -

Scorpion?

#21 Edited by CooVee (148 posts) -

Eddie the Mean Old Yeti

#22 Edited by big_jon (5734 posts) -

Kiddy!

#23 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Freddy Krueger

#24 Posted by villainy (561 posts) -

Russian Martian Donkey Kong

#25 Edited by Legion_ (1302 posts) -

#26 Posted by digbykong (14 posts) -
#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13219 posts) -

Yellow toad

#28 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2417 posts) -

Reggie Kong

#30 Posted by BisonHero (6569 posts) -

Funky is the obvious choice, especially since he showed up in Mario Kart Wii. No one likes Kiddy anyways.

#31 Posted by Hunter5024 (5708 posts) -

Hopefully Funky or Cranky. If they do go the DK64 route, Lanky would probably be the best choice (although I'd prefer Tiny, because who likes playing Donkey Kong without hair gliding? The answer is no one.) Fuck Kiddy.

#32 Posted by geirr (2584 posts) -

Sonic.

#33 Edited by HatKing (5979 posts) -

Mega Man.

Edit: Reviewed previous posts. Good to know everybody is being a dick.

#34 Posted by digbykong (14 posts) -

My guesses...

1. Samus

2. Conker

3. A new Kong with ice powers

#35 Edited by beast_in_the_shadows (8 posts) -

From what I understand, this game is about combinations of unique abilities. Diddy and Dixie will work in different ways, but we know both can work with Donkey. So to me, that means the forth would be someone to replace Donkey with, creating 4 combinations rather than three if it was another character to Pair with Donkey.

Now, that means the character needs to be roughly the same size as DK, (so that levels are still playable with all combos of Kongs) But also needs to have abilities unique enough for it to be able to do something DK can't.

I would say this rules out Funky or Kiddy as they wouldn't have anything that Donkey can't do, unless they made something up out of the blue.

Also, they specifically said it was a Kong, so I would rule out K Rool, Mario and any other suggestion that isn't and established Kong.

Frankly, and this may be unpopular, I think the best choice would be Lanky. He's big enough to carry either of the smaller Kongs and close enough to DK to have comparable running and jumping abilities. However where DK aces in strength (his ground pound probably being his special skill, Lanky could have something completely different from the other three. His stretchy arms. Activating far off switches, grabbing collectibles in narrow crevices. Something no other Kong can do. Or they could give him his hand stand move making him the only way to get up steep surfaces. Heck, he could have both, the stretch instead of DK's pound and the handstand instead of the roll attack to further differentiate the two.

Now, I'm not saying he is the likely choice, just that he would lend to the idea of having unique skill sets among the four players better than the other more obvious suggestions.

#36 Edited by Maajin (1069 posts) -

Why not DK Jr.?

#37 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (550 posts) -

@maajin said:

Why not DK Jr.?

This and the K. Rool with a Kong costume are my favorite choices. Maybe he met up with DK back at the Tennis courts and decided to fly over to his island for a visit?

#38 Posted by TooWalrus (13219 posts) -

@maajin said:

Why not DK Jr.?

Continuity issues. The Donkey Kong we now think of as Donkey Kong is actually Donkey Kong Jr. Kranky Kong is actually the original Donkey Kong.

...son, didn't you listen to Solid Snake's codec conversations in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

#39 Posted by Soap (3596 posts) -

Candy Kong ;)

#40 Edited by MentalDisruption (1639 posts) -

I'd be alright with Kiddy or Funky.

#41 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -
#42 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -
#43 Posted by geirr (2584 posts) -

Keith David

#44 Posted by Hunter5024 (5708 posts) -

I'm glad they went with Cranky. As much as I like Funky The Main Monkey, Cranky's just a funnier choice.

#45 Edited by crithon (3307 posts) -

retro's designs because most of those guys are Massive Black. So I'd love to see them redesign Sexy Kong, or whatever that dreadful mess was by Rare, since they can't design anything if their life depended on it.

#46 Posted by ch3burashka (5088 posts) -

Actually it's just a donkey. Voiced by Eddie Murphy

#47 Posted by Roboculus92 (520 posts) -

funky kong