So DOOM, does anyone care anymore?

• 112 results
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I had fun with the beta for a night. I'm mostly in it for the campaign, which I'm super excited to see, but the multiplayer might have a surprisingly long life span for me.

Can't wait.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@rebel_scum said:
@bananasfoster said:

To be honest, I don't understand (and get really annoyed by) "I'm over it" gamers.

I feel like there is no other medium in the entire world where people do this.

If you like something, you like it. People who only like something while it's trendy and then move on when the crowd moves on aren't actually fans of something and aren't actually it's audience.

If I gave you a ham and cheese sandwich everyday and that is what you ate for lunch would you not get bored of it? That's where people are coming from when they say they're over it. It does happen in film, music, tv, sport...and pretty much anything outside of mediums. Variety is the spice of life. Its nothing to do with following a trend.

@pyrodactyl explained other great points about this also.

Well, I'll tell you this exact example: I used to work with a children's group on Wednesday nights. Every wednesday night, for over a year, I had 2 slices of Papa Johns pizza. The exact same pizza, cooked the exact same, on the exact same day for over a year. And, yes, you are right. At a certain point, I got sick of it. But that meant I didn't eat pizza for a few months. I didn't STOP LIKING PIZZA. I didn't say "I'm over all pizza now, forever, because I ate too much". Especially since... there's a million different kinds of pizza out there. Pizza is a concept more than it is a SPECIFIC recipe.

Similarly, it's been like15 years since the last Doom game. People saying they are sick of Doom after not having one for 15 years seems similarly crazy to me. I could think of dozens and dozens of way to bring the Doom franchise back in a way that entertains me in 2016.

Its not Doom that people are sick of. Its first person shooters set in a space mining environment that is boring.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By hatking

If it approaches bringing old ass shooters into the modern era anything like Wolfenstein: The New Order did, then I am abso-fucking-lutely down.

Edit: Kill me, I already commented on this threat at some point in the past.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If it scores higher then a 7, and doesnt take 8 hours to beat, I will prob get it. Hope its good!

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I never got into the old games save for some gamemaker first person example games that blatantly stole assets, if you can even count that. However, I was looking at screenshots of this new Doom on the ps4 store and I gotta say I really think it's badass how they're basing the look of the enemies off the old 2D sprites. Hopefully those same whimsical sensibilities are carried over to the gameplay. I could really go for a different kind of first person shooter.

Zembosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm really looking forward to it. Although I don't think it can top Brutal Doom.

Quizas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Quizas

Still thinking about getting Doom. Have high hopes for single, and bad feeling about miltiplayer. Anyway, I consider it like too expensive game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait till it comes out and everyone is disappointed.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this'll be anything like The New Order, then I definitely care. But it's not being developed by MachineGames, so...it's also being released the same week as Uncharted 4, so at least I can keep my head cool and play something else while waiting for the reviews.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm interested in playing the single player for sure, but not the multiplayer after playing the alpha and beta now. It just feels like any other modern shooter.

Weapon loadouts, damage numbers popping up, gaining experience and leveling up, unlocking cosmetic items, double jumps, handgrenades, melee kill animations and fucking dances and emotes. That just hurts as someone who grew up playing Doom and Quake. It feels like a punch in the gut saying "hey, you are old, these games are not made for you anymore, grandpa".

I know the title of this game is Doom, but it should've been "Doom".

mcfar45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am mildly hyped for DOOM. It will be good to get back to this style of gaming and I expect to have fun.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@dussck said:

How about Call of Doomguy?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I was gonna say in a world where it turns out to be excellent, yeah I'd totally buy a new Doom.

But that multiplayer beta did nothing but turn me off and made the above possibility highly doubtful.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt the world cares. But I have been wrong before!

Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Ravey
@dussck said:

I'm interested in playing the single player for sure, but not the multiplayer after playing the alpha and beta now. It just feels like any other modern shooter.

Weapon loadouts, damage numbers popping up, gaining experience and leveling up, unlocking cosmetic items, double jumps, handgrenades, melee kill animations and fucking dances and emotes. That just hurts as someone who grew up playing Doom and Quake. It feels like a punch in the gut saying "hey, you are old, these games are not made for you anymore, grandpa".

I sympathize with the developers. I mean... it's infeasible to make both versions of the game excellent, and the PC already has excellent versions of Doom and Quake. And it's either this or no new Doom at all. Personally, I'm happy that they're trying new ideas and honoring Id's legacy as best as they can.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll never touch MP but I'll buy it on a steam sale for main campaign for sure.