So DOOM, does anyone care anymore?

• 112 results
Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Of course I'm exited! It's a new DOOM game, and if anything I'm just plain curious to see how it will turn out.

Not to mention that I think that the direction that the game seems to be taking looks dope as hell!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't presume no one cares! I am looking forward to it.

I have never played the older games so I am excited for this to show me what all the fuss is about.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't until I watched the trailer just now. Now I'm having flashbacks to high school LAN parties. Not sure if it's my thing beyond the nostalgia factor though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By Humanity

Looks like a fun action romp so sure. Doom was like one of the first PC games I owned (or tried to own not knowing what Shareware was back then...) so it always has this soft spot in my heart. I don't lovvveee it like Brad does, but I'm happy to try a newer version since Doom 3 was such a profound disappointment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I am hoping it is surprisingly good like the last Wolfenstein but I am keeping my expectations low.

JimmySmiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly though it seemed terrible, that is, until I watched the latest trailer. It kind of looks like a cross between the new Wolfenstein and Serious Sam 3. Not quite as fast as I would like, but definitely much more optimistic about it. As for your question, there is probably nothing that will convince me to spend $60 on it, though I rarely buy game at full price these days considering the large amount of pre-purchase discounts through GMG, Bestbuy, and now Amazon.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell Yeah I care.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The release date tells you everything you need to know.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's how much people care
Here's how much people care

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Fuck, you guys pay $59.99 for your games? Goddamn it, I'm jelly.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By Christoffer

@jesus_phish: Tactical Assault Commander 4. I don't trust that study.

Edit: Am I pointing out the joke? Sorry.

Avatar image for berzerkercharon
BerzerkerCharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually never played any of the Doom games but when I saw a clip from this game late last year, I definitely wanted to play it. The skeleton demon with the jetpack looks so brutal!

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I want to run very fast and shoot demons in the face with a shotgun so yeah, I'm looking forward to a new Doom.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it will be cool to revisit one of my old favorite franchises. I skipped 3 entirely so this will be a nice shot of nostalgia gussied up in horrifying realism.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

New Doom looks kinda drab and dull. Doesn't even move that quick. I'd much rather play a remaster or throwback release of the old games. If I could get the Shovel Knight treatment to Doom, that would actually be exciting.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

@tobbrobb said:

New Doom looks kinda drab and dull. Doesn't even move that quick. I'd much rather play a remaster or throwback release of the old games. If I could get the Shovel Knight treatment to Doom, that would actually be exciting.

With all the source ports, that's hardly necessary.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By pyrodactyl

@bananasfoster said:

To be honest, I don't understand (and get really annoyed by) "I'm over it" gamers.

I feel like there is no other medium in the entire world where people do this.

If you like something, you like it. People who only like something while it's trendy and then move on when the crowd moves on aren't actually fans of something and aren't actually it's audience.

I remember having a conversation with a person on a music site who, when I said I enjoyed Ska music, replied "Pssh. So did I... in like 1994!" as though to imply that I wasn't cool because I liked music that was "out of date". The reality is that I was actually fan of the genre while this other person was just a tourist. They moved on to pop punk and then probably emo and then hipster folk rock. Meanwhile... I still like Ska.

So, yes, I am excited for new Doom content. My only requirement is that they make it suitable to the things that made the game great to begin with and don't fall into the trap of trying to make it trendy and keep up with what they think is "in style" right now.

I think you misinterpret the ''I'm over it'' sentiment. It's not about liking a thing only while it's trendy and cool. It's about liking a thing before it got run into the ground with like 5 sequels and years of overused mechanics and ideas.

I'm not over CoD because it's not cool anymore. I'm over CoD because it's the same shit over and over again. I'm not over Halo because it's not cool anymore. I'm over Halo because 4 was bad and 5 is basically more of 4.

Finally, I'm not over Doom because it's not cool anymore. I'm over Doom because I'm done with boiler plate first person shooters with nothing going on aside from ''the shooting is good I guess''.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@jinoru: Yeaaaah you're right. Remakes would be remarkably pointless at this point.

I would like if the game seemed to keep a little bit more of the old Doom school of design though, more crowd managment, more speed, more bullethell. We can't judge too harshly from just trailers, but to me the new game looks so slow. :(

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty cold on it, despite my intense love for DOOM and DOOM II. But, I just saw some gameplay on Clueless Gamer, it was the first time I'd seen it in motion since E3 last year (the year before?), and it looks damn good. I'm not sure if I'm totally in, but I'm definitely interested. I don't buy a lot of games these days. Time is too much of a commodity for me. So the games I do pick up have to be really intriguing for me, and Doom is on the shortlist.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bananasfoster: Good post. I think that niche fandom to the level you are talking about with Ska is just developing with games to really become solid and I think that's just contrary to how some think about games. Like you hear everyone at Giant Bomb talk about Beat em Ups as if they are completely rotten but I still enjoy playing them. Or Top Down Shooters like Deadly Tower of Monsters gets boring super quick because it's another dual joystick shooter when hey I want more of those kind of games, especially with different mechanics on top of the core gameplay. Or, yeah, I would like a fast paced shooter in 2016.

It's just a really different philosophy I suppose. I still like lots of older music but you play it now for some people and they will call it "Dad Rock". It is what it is.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

To be honest, I don't understand (and get really annoyed by) "I'm over it" gamers.

If you like something, you like it. People who only like something while it's trendy and then move on when the crowd moves on aren't actually fans of something and aren't actually it's audience.

If I gave you a ham and cheese sandwich everyday and that is what you ate for lunch would you not get bored of it? That's where people are coming from when they say they're over it. It does happen in film, music, tv, sport...and pretty much anything outside of mediums. Variety is the spice of life. Its nothing to do with following a trend.

@pyrodactyl explained other great points about this also.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bananasfoster: Good post. I think that niche fandom to the level you are talking about with Ska is just developing with games to really become solid and I think that's just contrary to how some think about games. Like you hear everyone at Giant Bomb talk about Beat em Ups as if they are completely rotten but I still enjoy playing them. Or Top Down Shooters like Deadly Tower of Monsters gets boring super quick because it's another dual joystick shooter when hey I want more of those kind of games, especially with different mechanics on top of the core gameplay. Or, yeah, I would like a fast paced shooter in 2016.

It's just a really different philosophy I suppose. I still like lots of older music but you play it now for some people and they will call it "Dad Rock". It is what it is.

EXACTLY.

No, I obviously don't want new levels for the same old Doom engine from 1992, but a new game with the same concept and graphics from 2016? Yes please. Why? Because that game was fun.

I think people buy into the myth that games "evolve". Maybe younger gamers do out of hand. But just because Half Life came out, sold a bajillion copies, and every FPS game after it copied Half Life doesn't mean that the other FPS games at the time were un-fun, or weren't doing things that were just as awesome.

The same thing goes for right now and the ultra-mobility FPS games. Or heck, ANY game. Just because 1 popular game included parkour and wall-running in it doesn't mean that EVERY game now, and EVERY protagonist needs to have wall running until the end of time.

Personally, what I MOST want to return from Doom (And Quake and Duke 3D) is nonlinear overlapping level design. Bring keycards back! I'm sick of FPS games where you just walk in a straight line as exciting things happen in front of you. Remember when a Doom level would load and you were immediately faced with a fork in the road? Make decisions! Figure things out! All those things involve the player in a way modern FPS games do not.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

The one thing I'm concerned about is Bethesda's level creation tools being given to the public. I like the idea in theory. But with regards to Fallout 4, handing over the settlement creation tools to the user led to their own unique communities within the game feeling drab and largely aesthetically boring. With regards to Doom 4, I'm concerned that the single player will simply be a series of tacked-together levels designed with the same tools given to the players to build their own levels. I want the world and story told within the single player to be unique to that experience.

I've seen no evidence that this will be the case, but then again, I would have thought unique, fascinating exploration experiences within Fallout 4 would have been a given. So for now, I'm going to withhold any sort of excitement about the game until I've seen proof that Bethesda's decided to create a game world I want to explore and shoot my way through, not something cobbled together and slapped with the Doom name.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bananasfoster said:

If I gave you a ham and cheese sandwich everyday and that is what you ate for lunch would you not get bored of it? That's where people are coming from when they say they're over it. It does happen in film, music, tv, sport...and pretty much anything outside of mediums. Variety is the spice of life. Its nothing to do with following a trend.

@pyrodactyl explained other great points about this also.

Well, I'll tell you this exact example: I used to work with a children's group on Wednesday nights. Every wednesday night, for over a year, I had 2 slices of Papa Johns pizza. The exact same pizza, cooked the exact same, on the exact same day for over a year. And, yes, you are right. At a certain point, I got sick of it. But that meant I didn't eat pizza for a few months. I didn't STOP LIKING PIZZA. I didn't say "I'm over all pizza now, forever, because I ate too much". Especially since... there's a million different kinds of pizza out there. Pizza is a concept more than it is a SPECIFIC recipe.

Similarly, it's been like15 years since the last Doom game. People saying they are sick of Doom after not having one for 15 years seems similarly crazy to me. I could think of dozens and dozens of way to bring the Doom franchise back in a way that entertains me in 2016.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bananasfoster: more open level design would be great. I could give for an example The Darkness, which had open purely story based moments and hubs, more linear segments, open hubs. It mixed it up and that was interesting. I think open level design like you suggest could be interesting and I would like to see them try it with some modern twists in 2016. I think a lot of it ties into another post I made where I just see people playing it safe in many ways as far as big games. Something sells and mostly they chase that. I think, as Giant Bomb puts it often, those would usually be B-Tier games that experimented before in that space. Those are gone and we are left with a lot of safe bets these days as far as big budget games. Sometimes I like the bets but overall I just want more variety.

When Max Payne 3 came out part of my love of its gameplay was that it did have a cover system but it was not a cover heavy shooter like so many TPS out there and felt fresh as a result. I love that genre but they all had become slow and Gears like for the most part. More games need to be willing to be a little different to stand out I think. Maybe when the next waves of MOBAs/MOBA-likes comes out they will realize that some?

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By vaiz
Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

@jinoru: Yeaaaah you're right. Remakes would be remarkably pointless at this point.

I would like if the game seemed to keep a little bit more of the old Doom school of design though, more crowd managment, more speed, more bullethell. We can't judge too harshly from just trailers, but to me the new game looks so slow. :(

I'm looking forward to pushing it to its limits. If it really is slow, then fine. Its a bad DOOM game. If its way faster than the trailers and gameplay want to show, GOOD.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda-sorta. Depending on reviews. If there were signs of Wolfenstein TNO style "actually giving a damn about story" I'd be a little more enthusiastic off the bat.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravey said:

@ripelivejam: Brad was filthy alright. Doom 3 is the 4th best Id game (Doom 2, Quake 3, Rage, Doom 3, Keen 1).

I would've liked Rage even more if it was released 13 years earlierinstead of Redline

@bananasfoster: As a PC gamer, I'm just miffed that I won't enjoy Doom 4 as much as its target audience. The best possible outcome is that the game will be a bit of fun, have a few interesting mechanics, and maybe get people interested in Doom and Quake (and maybe it will get people to use their brain a little). However, the game won't cater to my needs and desires as a player, offer me a fresh experience, or push the genre forward in any way. And I think making the game incredibly violent is a sad artistic victory that the industry outgrew around 1999-2004. That's where the indifference is coming from.

I think it's also worse for Doom 4 specificially because it's trying to evoke the spirit of Doom 1/2 and Quake 3 (both of which are still great games). It's not like The New Order where the only direction the franchise could go was up.

I don't know. I reject the notion of "pushing the genre forward" there is no "direction"in games. That implies that there is some kind of purity or holiness to games and that we are working toward that. There is not. There is only whether something is fun or is not fun. SOME people people highly regard the concept of doing something they have never done before. But that's just a personal preference. Some people will only go to a theme park once and, after that, say they have been and have no desire to go again. Other people go once a year. The idea being, they make new rides. They never did EVERYthing the park and to offer the first time. And, even, doing the same thing you already did is still fun.

I don't have a ton of faith in this new game either, but for the opposite reason other people seem to not like it. I don't think it looks ENOUGH like the old game. All I would want out of a new doom is better graphics and effects. Maybe some new enemies and enemy movemtens. But I would be perfectly fine with the same guns, the same movement (With free look, of course) and maybe a little non-cutscene set-piece stuff. Maybe introduce some new concepts like powerful badguys who hunt you throughout a level and cannot easily be killed in one confrontation. Maybe exploding barrel-type objects that actually deform the level. Etc.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I feel like if they lean into the hardcore death metal just shred everything angle then I'll definitely be in. It's not a day one for me at this point but I'm still fairly interested in what they do. Wolfenstein proved that those old franchises don't have to be bad rehashes or reboots, and I'm hoping that Machine was brought in to give some insight. The MP doesn't really resonate with me even though I do have fond memories of Quake and UT - who knows that might change. Still looking forward to it right now as it does look pretty brutal - that being said if it's rotating four animations for those dismemberment moves and it's just hard for being hard's sake I probably will get over it quickly.

Avatar image for bernard_bernoulli
Bernard_Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is, this doesn't look like a rehash of Doom, it looks like a rehash of Rage but instead of car combat you've got kill animations. Whoop-de-doo.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It looks pretty fun but it still looks more like a Serious Sam or a Painkiller game than a Doom game. In my eyes, Doom was always more than the mindless shooter that everyone says it was. It was the creepy atmosphere, gruesome scenery and monster design. It was the risk/reward level design (every time you found a secret or a nice stash of items you can guarantee there was a trap or a horde of demons about to be dropped on you). It was the FACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN WHICH WAS A SUPER QUICK INDICATOR OF HOW HEALTHY YOU WERE. Where the hell is the face?! Are there going to be levels like Tricks'n'Traps, Dead Simple, Nirvana, Gotcha!, Hanger, Phobos anomaly, Mt Erebus, Unholy Cathedral and Wormhole?

So far, despite it having a lot of cool features, it just doesn't look and feel like a Doom game...

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say I'm super hyped about it or anything, but I'll try it when it comes out. I hope it's fun and if it isn't I can always go and play more Brutal Doom.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a lightweight now when it comes to gore in games, I think my tastes are just changing. I felt the same way about the new mortal kombat. I used to love these type of games, they just aren't for me anymore though. That's not a knock against the game, I would expect nothing less from a design perspective for Doom and MK. I just don't think either one is for me.

Gigabomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Gigabomber

A year back I bought Doom 2 and installed Brutal Doom, the end all and be all of Doom. I kept marveling and how tight the shooting was.

The new Doom should fall by the wayside if it doesn't lift the gore models wholesale (the executions are the weakest part). I hope it fails.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@el_tajij said:

It looks pretty fun but it still looks more like a Serious Sam or a Painkiller game than a Doom game.

This right here is my one apprehension. So many throwback shooters do this. It's like everyone fell under a mass delusion that 90s FPS games were entirely about big open arenas and hundreds of enemies charging at you. It's such a weird thing.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaudacious: Your cynical levels are off the charts. Hordes upon hordes of people are excited for this. And why pick on Id about rebooting something? Plenty of companies across all mediums constantly reboot stuff. This is nothing new.

Doom is a beloved franchise getting rebooted after many years of nothing from the brand. What's wrong with that? Why is it so weird that this exists and people are looking forward to it? Bring it on, I want a fast paced bloody shooter that feels super good.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@shagge said:
@el_tajij said:

It looks pretty fun but it still looks more like a Serious Sam or a Painkiller game than a Doom game.

This right here is my one apprehension. So many throwback shooters do this. It's like everyone fell under a mass delusion that 90s FPS games were entirely about big open arenas and hundreds of enemies charging at you. It's such a weird thing.

To be honest, some of the Doom 2 levels are like that. They're the weakest of the bunch though. I like the well designed maze levels more and it's a shame the new one will not be like that, although not entirely open areas either (the Hell parts seem to be like that).

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks pretty good. I'm interested.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I played the Alpha and really enjoyed it, but I'm not going to jump to pick it up. I'm pretty broke and Doom isn't quite enough to get me to pull the trigger (BOOM) on it Day 1. But I'll get it one day.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

As someone who loves Doom with the passion of a thousand burning suns across the vastness of this universe, I could give a shit less about this game at this point. Nothing about it seems like the Doom game that I want.

That doesn't mean I won't play it. I will. I have to. It's called Doom. I just hope that it blows me away and makes me happy as hell. I'm not expecting it, though. I feel like it's going to be a huge disappointment.

However, I should point that the OP brought up something about how they "made it fast." THAT is the one thing that I LIKE about what they've done. They brought back one of the core things that made Doom what it was: the speed. If they can match that with swarms of enemies rather than just one or two here or there, as well as really well-designed levels, then they will have accomplished the goal of making a damn fine Doom game.

We'll see what happens.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By zombievac

I am rather excited, yes! As much as I was for Doom 2? Or even 3? Hell no. But I'm always up for a great FPS, and at least the single player in this one looks fun! I'm not expecting a story written by a rocket scientist (unfortunately Carmack completely left id I believe, so it literally COULD have been [somewhat] written by a rocket scientist, but alas... he's just building actual space shuttles now... pfffft.)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The recent Beta has me interested but I'm mostly curious about the single player. I'm no Doom purist but even I found Doom 3 to be a hard pill to swallow.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jinoru said:

I'm not excited for it, but my brain is for some reason.

Sounds like something Karl Pilkington would say.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've greatly enjoyed every previous Doom game, and I am looking forward to this one quite a bit. So, yeah, some people care.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c
deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably my most hyped game of the year.