New pages only auto-approve for 5000 point members

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide

This may just be a temporary adjustment but for now only 5000 point users will have their brand new pages (meaning pages that are brand new from scratch) approved automatically. We had to add this in because too many people were adding pages that were already in the system.

Bummer I know, and something we can likely tune back down over time but deleting/merging pages takes up the most man hours, so we're trying to slow down the instances of that happening.

Please read my search / alias post on how to properly check for items that may not show up in our automatic search.
Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Oy

seems fair

Conner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Conner

Somewhat good idea. I never thought it was being that much of a problem however. Hopefully it will be able to go down eventually.

rckbikes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By rckbikes

i agree with that decision

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By chililili

Its ok I'm jsut mroe worried as to how they will be able to sort through all submissions in the site.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MasterSplinter

That makes sense.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By snide
chililili said:
"Its ok I'm jsut mroe worried as to how they will be able to sort through all submissions in the site.
"
Me too, but our team has some nifty ideas that don't involve Jeff & the crew slaving away all day (the current solution).

Thanks for your patience.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

I think it's a really good idea...and I actually wish there was a change in the point system for uploading pics. You get 1 point for adding a pic to a game and 1 point for each gallery it's in. I could upload 500 screenshots for Forza 2 and post them in the Screenshots/X360 Screenshots galleries and get 1500 points from that...I don't know, but I just feel like that could be abused if someone wanted to mess around with pages and needed to get the points first.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By pyromaniac

okay thats fine..infact I think they should make it permanant

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hazelnutman

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Gives us all something extra to aim for rather than just 1000. I like personal challenges :P

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MasterSplinter
snide said:
"chililili said:
"Its ok I'm jsut mroe worried as to how they will be able to sort through all submissions in the site.
"
Me too, but our team has some nifty ideas that don't involve Jeff & the crew slaving away all day (the current solution).

Thanks for your patience.
"
The nanomachines are going to control wiki submissions!
Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys wouldn't have to delete/convert duplicate pages if there was a way to see what is pending (without going to an individual's profile, which could be time consuming) in particular areas. Say I typed in "Iron Man"; if there was no "Iron Man" page, but there was one pending, an indicator would pop up telling me so. Or something like that.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By banksrob

yeh that's good ill get 5000 soon enough hopefully when all my subs are got too :P Keep the good work up

Hilit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hilit
Guiltyspark said:
"thats fucking bullshit

I have submitted about 35 things , most of them the first day this site was launched
only 3 of them were answered with an acceptance or a decline 3 DAYS AFTER THEY WERE SUBMITTED

Here is an idea , LOCK submissions , put all your staff on moderating them , and after you get a major chunk knocked out
give users a limit of 5 submissions per day for about a week then increase it to 10 permanantly

and leave shit how it is , we cant even make points with reviews for god sakes

"
Relax man. It's a temp move and only relates to the creation of new pages not wiki edits in general.
Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Guiltyspark
Hilit said:
"Guiltyspark said:
"thats fucking bullshit

I have submitted about 35 things , most of them the first day this site was launched
only 3 of them were answered with an acceptance or a decline 3 DAYS AFTER THEY WERE SUBMITTED

Here is an idea , LOCK submissions , put all your staff on moderating them , and after you get a major chunk knocked out
give users a limit of 5 submissions per day for about a week then increase it to 10 permanantly

"
Relax man. It's a temp move and only relates to the creation of new pages not wiki edits in general.
"

the only thing i signed up for on this lag ridden site is so i could add new content that hasnt appeared yet

Im not going to sit around and play "find the non watermarked image" game for 2 weeks

Lairdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Lairdo

Makes sense I suppose.

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By JJGIANT

snide said:

"This may just be a temporary adjustment but for now only 5000 point users will have their brand new pages (meaning pages that are brand new from scratch) approved automatically. We had to add this in because too many people were adding pages that were already in the system.

Bummer I know, and something we can likely tune back down over time but deleting/merging pages takes up the most man hours, so we're trying to slow down the instances of that happening.

Please read my search / alias post on how to properly check for items that may not show up in our automatic search.
"

Thats fair we dont want this site to get clogged up with 4 Halo 3 three pages for instance.  Good move!

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hazelnutman
Guiltyspark said:
"thats fucking bullshit

"
The fact that there isn't a limit on submissions is what makes this place great for me.

How dare you suggest a limit :|
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By thebeast

Sounds fair enough - I've seen a fair few images from the wrong games slip through somehow too, not sure if this is from 1,000+ users or from accidentally approving submissions.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Hamz
Guiltyspark said:
"thats fucking bullshit

"
I suggest you take five and chill out amigo. Things are being down as best as possible with the man power available. You're not the only one with pending submissions, even the Moderators have submissions in the queue and before you say it, nope we aren't fast tracking our stuff ahead of other users.

Be patient and be calm is all we ask while things get sorted out.
Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Guiltyspark
hazelnutman said:
"Guiltyspark said:
"thats fucking bullshit

"
The fact that there isn't a limit on submissions is what makes this place great for me.

How dare you suggest a limit :|
"

if there was no moderation i would agree with you

but people are just spamming shit now , im pretty sure we already made it to 100 thousand submissions already
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mattbodega

So, do you guys plan on keeping this a temporary change? Or are you gonna see how this new points limit plays out for now?
I'm just interested, as someone who's about to cross the first threshold.
You guys definitely picked a good number for the total number of Wiki points needed for Full Live Edit. 5000. 5G
FIVE GRAND!!!!!

Ilias13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ilias13

Good idea, at least for now.

Darth_Tater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Darth_Tater

I'd like to request adding Chaos Wars,  all you have to do is add the game, I'll take care of the rest.

Derios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Derios

Sounds good.

Kallin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kallin

Using points to determine your moderation status is a good first filter, but I don't think it should be the only one. Once you pass a certain threshold, you should be able to apply for moderation/auto-approval status. I've been thinking about the problem of accepting/denying user generated content for a while, and have developed a few models that range from draconian to 100% democratic. Unfortunately it's java and this site is Python so I don't think it'll gel so well :)

Nonetheless, I think for this site that you need a human element in determining who has what privileges. The gaming community has too many people who, while being very active, often act irresponsibly and without foresight. Giant Bomb needs to ensure these people don't get undue access.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Why_So_Serious

Agreed. If it makes your work easier and subs accepted faster than I'm all for it.

Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Caddy

I think if there were problems with multiple submissions, this move only makes sense. New pages are important, at least all  edits still go straight through after 1000.

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PaperPlain

I'm all for it. Especially since it increases sub times.

Killuminati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Killuminati

There needs to be an option to cancel your submissions before they are approved or rejected. I have seen things I have submitted and now I go to look at the game today and noticed someone already edited it.

Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Anonymous

I have no problem with it.

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Foil_Charizard

Do any non staff members even have over 5000???

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33  Edited By spiceninja

That's a good idea.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Psynapse

I agree with Snide, we need to focus on quality and not quanity with alot of this stuff.. I've seen some fairly stupid stuff go through which really had nothing to do with the game. I guess thats why other people can edit stuff also, but that just causes more work for mods/staff.

5000 points sounds good to me.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By donfonzie

SWhy_So_Serious said:

"Agreed. If it makes your work easier and subs accepted faster than I'm all for it."
Same here.
MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MasterSplinter
Foil_Charizard said:
"Do any non staff members even have over 5000???
"
There are only 2 people over 5000 points right now. Jeff Gerstmann and Joseppie (non-staff).
Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aaron_G

I guess that is fair. 

kirk02000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kirk02000

More people should actually do this including me would've saved me some time possibly.

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By MacGyver

seems like the only way to go. If someone put in the man hours to get to 5000 points then I think they take the time to see if pages already exist.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By tec3297

I think that this is a good rule.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By Terrell

I knew this was going to happen. I dont know. something about this website is starting to worry me...  I'm sure in like a year things will be different, but in the meantime it seems like they bit off more than they could chew dealing with the general public (i.e.: general public is usually stupid, both literally and figuratively)

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Player1

sounds fair

Philip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Philip

I agree, I thought that the 1000 limit for live edit was high, until I saw that you can get points fast (if submission is accepted), putting it up to 5000 for new pages, I like the idea. That means more pages will get completed before we start adding a bunch more.

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Xelloss
Foil_Charizard said:
"Do any non staff members even have over 5000???
"
I do :D

But anyway good to hear, hopefully even some of way older submission will go through, because I got a lot lol.
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#46  Edited By falconer

I think that EVERYTHING should be at 5000 for bypassing moderation. But that's just me.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By zeus_gb

Sounds like a good idea to me.

synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By synt4x
MagusMaleficus said:
"You guys wouldn't have to delete/convert duplicate pages if there was a way to see what is pending (without going to an individual's profile, which could be time consuming) in particular areas. Say I typed in "Iron Man"; if there was no "Iron Man" page, but there was one pending, an indicator would pop up telling me so. Or something like that."
This man speaks with great wisdom.
Or at least I agree with him. Something like that would be really good.
AtomicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By AtomicEdge

I understand this. A couple of times I have submitting something, and by the time it is looked at, someone else has already had it created. Bit annoying because it looks like I haven't done my research!

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By serbsta

Wouldnt call it a bummer, its what needs to be done to make this work.