Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Systech
Earthbound franchise page

It should probably be changed to Mother, because the majority of the games are entitled 'Mother' and Earthbound was a title change for the US version.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Axersia

But Earthbound is the official US title of the franchise. Mother 1 was supposed to come to the US as Earthbound, and Mother 3 was supposed to come to the US as Earthbound 64 when it was still an N64 game.

I say keep the Earthbound title. More people know it under that name.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Pepsiman

I'm with Axersia on this one. The Mother games outside of Japan are known under some Earthbound name or other and that name is more well-known in mainstream circles despite the unlocalized status of most installments in that series. Should the option to add aliases to series become unlocked, I recommend simply adding Mother to that section instead.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By AuthenticM

Even though I prefer original names/titles to localized ones, it would be better to keep Earthbound as the franchise's name since that's the name it's known for in America. I would certainly like for Resident Evil to be renamed Biohazzard, but I have to keep other people in mind. What you can do though, is to send emails to Nintendo asking them to retitle Earthbound to its proper name: Mother. If Square Enix didn't mind changing Dragon Warrior back to Dragon Quest, I'm sure Nintendo or Capcom wouldn't mind if fans let them know what they want.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#5  Edited By JackiJinx

I don't think I can agree with the moderators on this one fully. Were and would be called Earthbound isn't quite as legitimate as, "Hey, we only released one from the series over in America."

The majority of games are named Mother, the first one was named Mother, the first one and the third were never ported here and thus are only known by the names Mother 1 and Mother 3, so it only makes sense that the franchise should at least be called the Mother/Earthbound franchise.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Axersia

Still, more people know the franchise under the Earthbound name. Even people that have played Mother 1 may not know the series is called Mother in Japan, since the ROM dump of the US beta cartridge of Mother 1 was dubbed "Earthbound Zero."

If you think the Earthbound franchise should be renamed to Mother, then I think Dark Cloud 2 should be renamed to Dark Chronicle, and Tales of Destiny II should be renamed to Tales of Eternia. Since their current titles were only used in the US, but not in Europe and Japan. And majority rules, right?

This is a US-centric site. The staff has said so themselves. And I have no problem with those games having their US titles, but then Earthbound should be called Earthbound too.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

So should Super Robot Wars be renamed to Super Robot Taisen then? Because the two that were released in North America use the Super Robot Taisen name instead of Super Robot Wars.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Axersia
LordAndrew said:
"So should Super Robot Wars be renamed to Super Robot Taisen then? Because the two that were released in North America use the Super Robot Taisen name instead of Super Robot Wars."
Well, I'm not familiar with the series, but if all games in the series are called Super Robot Taisen, and someone just decided to add them to the database as Super Robot Wars because that's the literal translation, then yes, they should be renamed, since that's not the official title.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the current topic, though.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

It's a literal translation that Banpresto themselves use. But the two games released in North America use the Super Robot Taisen name. I just brought them up because it's a case of using a different name in Japan and North America.
You know what though? This one seems kind of iffy. I'll go ahead and create a new topic for it.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Systech
Axersia said:
"Still, more people know the franchise under the Earthbound name. Even people that have played Mother 1 may not know the series is called Mother in Japan, since the ROM dump of the US beta cartridge of Mother 1 was dubbed "Earthbound Zero."

If you think the Earthbound franchise should be renamed to Mother, then I think Dark Cloud 2 should be renamed to Dark Chronicle, and Tales of Destiny II should be renamed to Tales of Eternia. Since their current titles were only used in the US, but not in Europe and Japan. And majority rules, right?

This is a US-centric site. The staff has said so themselves. And I have no problem with those games having their US titles, but then Earthbound should be called Earthbound too.
"
I guess you have a point, because to most, EarthBound is more recognizable than Mother. I just thought at the time that since only one of games was called EarthBound and the original and majority were called Mother, then this should happen. I understand now.
KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By KuribosShoe

this is an American based website

as such I feel like any game released in the U.S. should be placed under its U.S. name, and if there is a franchise, that should be under the U.S. name as well.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By KingBroly

I think it should be named Mother because most people that know about the series because of Mother 3, and the controversy around that.  Also, Mother 3 in the US was rated as Mother 3, not Earthbound 2.  You should be able to find it on the ESRB's site still under the Game Boy Advance as well.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Axersia
KingBroly said:
"I think it should be named Mother because most people that know about the series because of Mother 3, and the controversy around that.  Also, Mother 3 in the US was rated as Mother 3, not Earthbound 2.  You should be able to find it on the ESRB's site still under the Game Boy Advance as well."
No.

KuribosShoe said:
"this is an American based website

as such I feel like any game released in the U.S. should be placed under its U.S. name, and if there is a franchise, that should be under the U.S. name as well."
^ Listen to this man.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Demilich

Don't be silly. Resident Evil isn't called Biohazard here.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KingBroly

The difference there is Resident Evil is a living franchise, while Earthbound/Mother is dead.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KingBroly

But that's different as well.  Square changed the name of Dragon Warrior to Dragon Quest in the US, and it's continuing here as such.  Also, Square's probably going to release the old DW games here again under the Dragon Quest name, thus confusing us even further.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Axersia
KingBroly said:
"But that's different as well.  Square changed the name of Dragon Warrior to Dragon Quest in the US, and it's continuing here as such.  Also, Square's probably going to release the old DW games here again under the Dragon Quest name, thus confusing us even further."
Ha, made you talk to yourself (sorry about that).

But it's good that we agree on something, at least.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By StarFoxA
Axersia said:
"Still, more people know the franchise under the Earthbound name. Even people that have played Mother 1 may not know the series is called Mother in Japan, since the ROM dump of the US beta cartridge of Mother 1 was dubbed "Earthbound Zero."

This is a US-centric site. The staff has said so themselves. And I have no problem with those games having their US titles, but then Earthbound should be called Earthbound too."
It's the official US title of the game. Since there is only one game in the US, it isn't a franchise here. Therefore, the official name of the franchise is Mother. It is probable that more people know the series under the name Mother, as seen by the fame of Starmen.net.

The ROM dump of Mother on the NES was dubbed Earthbound Zero by an unofficial hacker, to avoid confusion. The menu graphic that says "Earthbound Zero" was also created by one of the hackers of Starmen.net.

The difference being those are the official names, while Mother is the official name of the series. EarthBound is only one game in the series, and sometimes games have different titles than previous iterations, while still being in a certain series. This is the case with the Mother series.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By StarFoxA
Axersia said:

This is a US-centric site. The staff has said so themselves. And I have no problem with those games having their US titles, but then Earthbound should be called Earthbound too."
It's the official US title of the game. Since there is only one game in the US, it isn't a franchise here. Therefore, the official name of the franchise is Mother. It is probable that more people know the series under the name Mother, as seen by the fame of Starmen.net.

The ROM dump of Mother on the NES was dubbed Earthbound Zero by an unofficial hacker, to avoid confusion. The menu graphic that says "Earthbound Zero" was also created by one of the hackers of Starmen.net.

The difference being those are the official names, while Mother is the official name of the series. EarthBound is only one game in the series, and sometimes games have different titles than previous iterations, while still being in a certain series. This is the case with the Mother series.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Axersia

Since Nintendo had the intention of bringing both the original Mother and Mother 3 to the US under the Earthbound name (I don't care what the ESRB website supposedly once said about Mother 3 GBA, it was offically announced as Earthbound 64), I think the Earthbound name will always stand as the franchise's title in the US. That is, until Nintendo themselves states it isn't.

Anyway, this thread isn't really going nowhere, so if anyone wants to see Earthbound listed under the Mother name, I would suggest to post a request in the Deletion/Combine forum and link to this thread, so daniel can read through it and make his decision.