The Value of Proofreading (Mods and Staff, please read)

Dietlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dietlama

Content is important, I want to stress that.  Without the people who generate long articles, the site is a much lesser place.  But, I am a lowly proofreader amongst the throng of content producers.  I think that I have a skill that is valuable to Giant Bomb, and a desire (at this point anyway) to exercise it.  My main bulk of edits are made in the form of proofreading changes.  I alter sentences for clarity.  I correct grammar and punctuation mistakes.  I even scan for typos and adjust unnecessary contractions (they're being the main culprit).  I'm happy to cruise around the site, sifting through the content, making sure that it conforms to standard written English as much as possible.

Here's my problem.  For any edit I make or have made, I receive only one point.  Naturally, I feel a little undervalued.  Why is it that proofreading is given so little acknowledgement?  Would you rather have someone who corrects spelling and grammar with the power to edit pages on the fly, or someone who copy/pastes from Wikipedia, making only the minimum adjustments so as to avoid being accused of plagiarism?

An example: today I edited the Raziel page.  It is a massive wall of text.  In my opinion, it's too long, but that is not my department.  I'm a proofreader.  I spent a good amount of time (perhaps, an hour and a half) proofreading that page.  I don't only do it for points, I also care that Raziel is given his due (see my icon).  But, I would do the same for Kain or Thrall or Knuckles or Atrus, etc...

This is what I posted in the moderator text field.
Edited all story segments. Clarity edits: 49 Typos: 6 Grammar: 6 Punctuation: 14 Capitalization: 1 Paragraphing: 1 This is worth more than one point. Please acknowledge the importance of proofreading. -Thanks

Anyone hazard a guess to my awarded points?  One.  Maybe I'm being selfish, hoping to break that 1000+ some day.  What I really feel is that proofreaders deserve more credit than this.  If I had made the clarity edits in groups of 5, does that mean I would get 9 points?  Or, if I made the grammar, capitalization, and punctuation separate, would that be another 3?

I would appreciate a moderator response on this issue.  Proofreaders wont serve forever when anyone that uploads enough images can come in and live edit our careful work in an instant when we have no way of gaining the power to go back and correct such adjustments (aside from what amounts to making 1001 edits).

Giant Bomb, please value proofreading.
themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By themoon13

I agree with you.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Axersia

I refer you to this topic.

Scroll down to my post for some clarification on this.

Moderators don't give out points manually, it's all done automatically.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Dietlama said:
"Content is important, I want to stress that.  Without the people who generate long articles, the site is a much lesser place.  But, I am a lowly proofreader amongst the throng of content producers.  I think that I have a skill that is valuable to Giant Bomb, and a desire (at this point anyway) to exercise it.  My main bulk of edits are made in the form of proofreading changes.  I alter sentences for clarity.  I correct grammar and punctuation mistakes.  I even scan for typos and adjust unnecessary contractions (they're being the main culprit).  I'm happy to cruise around the site, sifting through the content, making sure that it conforms to standard written English as much as possible.

Here's my problem.  For any edit I make or have made, I receive only one point.  Naturally, I feel a little undervalued.  Why is it that proofreading is given so little acknowledgement?  Would you rather have someone who corrects spelling and grammar with the power to edit pages on the fly, or someone who copy/pastes from Wikipedia, making only the minimum adjustments so as to avoid being accused of plagiarism?

An example: today I edited the Raziel page.  It is a massive wall of text.  In my opinion, it's too long, but that is not my department.  I'm a proofreader.  I spent a good amount of time (perhaps, an hour and a half) proofreading that page.  I don't only do it for points, I also care that Raziel is given his due (see my icon).  But, I would do the same for Kain or Thrall or Knuckles or Atrus, etc...

This is what I posted in the moderator text field.
Edited all story segments. Clarity edits: 49 Typos: 6 Grammar: 6 Punctuation: 14 Capitalization: 1 Paragraphing: 1 This is worth more than one point. Please acknowledge the importance of proofreading. -Thanks

Anyone hazard a guess to my awarded points?  One.  Maybe I'm being selfish, hoping to break that 1000+ some day.  What I really feel is that proofreaders deserve more credit than this.  If I had made the clarity edits in groups of 5, does that mean I would get 9 points?  Or, if I made the grammar, capitalization, and punctuation separate, would that be another 3?

I would appreciate a moderator response on this issue.  Proofreaders wont serve forever when anyone that uploads enough images can come in and live edit our careful work in an instant when we have no way of gaining the power to go back and correct such adjustments (aside from what amounts to making 1001 edits).

Giant Bomb, please value proofreading.
"
Don't hold your breath, dude. None of the mods seem to give a shit about proper grammar, sentence structure, spelling, etc (and if they do, well, they're doing a piss-poor job of showing it).
suitteeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By suitteeth

you don't need an english degree to moderate a video game forum bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

suitteeth said:
"you don't need an english degree to moderate a video game forum bro
"
We're not talking about the forum, smart-ass. Oh, and FYI: I do have an English degree.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By lordofultima

No need to get hostile. As Axersia says above, points are completely automatic, I nor any other mod has control over them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lordofultima said:
"No need to get hostile. As Axersia says above, points are completely automatic, I nor any other mod has control over them."
That's not what I'm debating, nor is the thread creator. We believe lengthy article edits that greatly improve readability should garner more points than simple additions or smaller edits. I don't know why I must repeat this again and again--it isn't a difficult concept to grasp. You guys brag about chatting with the staff so bloody much; here's your chance to turn that chatter into something useful for the community.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoG

The internet is serious business. You need at least a BA in English to gain "worm" status on most internet forums.
Way to go, moderators. Your letting this scum contribute to your site.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lordofultima
BoG said:
"The internet is serious business. You need at least a BA in English to gain "worm" status on most internet forums.
Way to go, moderators. Your letting this scum contribute to your site.
"

Yeah, you're right. Gee golly. I'll just go back to having my head in my ass. Thanks a bunch.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By spacetrucking

Errr...while I do believe that the user who started the name calling was wrong, you guys really should respond with more respect and integrity than making a mockery of him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoG said:
"The internet is serious business. You need at least a BA in English to gain "worm" status on most internet forums.
Way to go, moderators. Your letting this scum contribute to your site."
See what I mean, folks? People try to make a point, and a guy like this comes along and shits all over it. There's absolutely no need to call me a "worm" or "scum." You're a moderator for crying out loud! You're supposed to be setting an example for other users. Acting like an asshole in the forums isn't helping your cause at all. Plus, it makes me want to report your ass--and don't think you're above disciplinary action just because you're a mod. 
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spacetrucking
MagusMaleficus said:
"BoG said:
Way to go, moderators. Your letting this scum contribute to your site."
See what I mean, folks? People try to make a point, and a guy like this comes along and shits all over it. There's absolutely no need to call me a "worm" or "scum." You're a moderator for crying out loud! You're supposed to be setting an example for other users. Acting like an asshole in the forums isn't helping your cause at all. Plus, it makes me want to report your ass--and don't think you're above disciplinary action just because you're a mod. "
Okay, before this gets out of hand...he wasn't calling you a worm. He was referring to the people who make grammatical errors as "scum" or whatever. I guess his attempt at defusing the situation with satire failed. You are not helping by calling the mods a bunch of smart asses either!

^ IMO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killjoy said:
"Okay, before this gets out of hand...he wasn't calling you a worm. He was referring to the people who make grammatical errors as "scum" or whatever. I guess his attempt at defusing the situation with satire failed. You are not helping by calling the mods a bunch of smart asses either!"
I didn't call all of them smart-asses--just the one. And to be fair, it was a very smart-ass (and completely unhelpful) statement he made. 

Besides, I'm totally calm now, because I can tell the wiki-only mods apart from the forum mods. The wiki-only mods, according to the very helpful MB (no, really, he's cool), have absolutely no say in forum affairs. Hell, even the forum mods aren't exempt from retribution from the staff if they act like some of these wiki mods (and don't think for a second I wouldn't report abuse).
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spacetrucking
MagusMaleficus said:
Besides, I'm totally calm now
Yeah, Smash Mouth has that effect! I kid, I kid! :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killjoy said:
"MagusMaleficus said:
Yeah, Smash Mouth has that effect! I kid, I kid! :P"
Actually, I only watched long enough to know it was Smash Mouth, then quickly hit the pause button. *shudders*
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spacetrucking
MagusMaleficus said:
"Killjoy said:
"MagusMaleficus said:
Yeah, Smash Mouth has that effect! I kid, I kid! :P"
Actually, I only watched long enough to know it was Smash Mouth, then quickly hit the pause button. *shudders*"
Hehe...yeah, terrible remix but I love that song if you intend to break some tension :)
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Lies

While I do agree some of the comments made by the mods in here are kinda dickish (no offense, most of em are cool guys and I don't suspect they meant to come off that way), if you have a problem with the points system, you gotta take it up with the GB engineers. They're really the only guys with power to change the points system, as it's completely automated.

Shoot one of them a PM, and you'll probably get a more helpful response (although I do hear they're pretty busy :P Might take a while).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lies said:
"While I do agree some of the comments made by the mods in here are kinda dickish (no offense, most of em are cool guys and I don't suspect they meant to come off that way), if you have a problem with the points system, you gotta take it up with the GB engineers. They're really the only guys with power to change the points system, as it's completely automated.

Shoot one of them a PM, and you'll probably get a more helpful response (although I do hear they're pretty busy :P Might take a while)."
Believe me, I already did. I'm sure it will be quite some time before anything is done about it, but I'm confident that the changes I--and many others--would like to see made to article editing will happen in the near future (whether the mods like it or not).
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Pepsiman

Okay, guys, I don't want a fight to break out over proofreading of all things as much as I would hope any of you do. I'm not asking any of you to give me respect as one of your wiki mods because I haven't earned that respect and I'm not going to demand it. Maybe you guys have had issues with psychotically egotistic mods at other sites or something, but I'm going to try and avoid that archetype. Having said that, Dietlama, however, asked for a civil answer and I'm going to give one. Whether anybody chooses to read it or not is not an issue about which I care. Ironically enough, it's late enough at night where I myself won't proofread this, so somebody else is free to do so with a great sense of irony if they really, really wish to do so. With that, let's get a move on.

First and foremost, let's reiterate a point which is already established: We mods aren't remotely given any sort of power whatsoever to dole out points. It's an entirely automatic thing that takes place on the back-end of the side and I would therefore recommend that if you want it changed that you go directly talk to one of the staff members since they're even more busy than we are at times.

That, however, is something which has already been established and I'm almost certain nobody wanted a reiteration of that, so let's put some new thoughts on the table. This is in no way any official stuff from the editorial team or anybody who engineers the site. We may have more direct contact with some of them, but that doesn't mean we have enough time to discuss the fundamentals of Giant Bomb's points engine. It is must therefore be mentioned that what I'm about to say is purely hypothetical and comes from my own speculation. If you're fine with that, you're free to read on.

I imagine that the points system on Giant Bomb is designed in such a way that the amount you get is supposed to be proportional. As Dietlama points out in his post, this system isn't perfect and the site is still in beta, after all. There will naturally be quirks in the system which need addressing. It's how it is with anything that's a work in progress, whether it's a site's server-side software or a novel or anything else. It's naturally going to be inherently flawed and I'm pretty sure we can't get beyond that. As something which is man-made, there will always be things which can use corrections.

I'm pretty sure we know this, too, though, so let's go even further.

Let's pretend that I'm a part of Giant Bomb's servers and my particular task is to dole out points for all the submissions which Pepsiman and crew approve. Because I'm part of a machine, I therefore rely on formulas which are designed to help designate a certain amount of points which is dependent on how much is given to me as input. I'm a machine, so I can't think too terribly deeply about the more subtle things about a person's submissions. There's nothing in particular I can do about that, beings as I'm not exactly self-aware or anything. As such, let's run though two different approved submissions scenarios and see how I'm going to treat them.

Scenario 1: Some user has submitted an extremely lengthy article on Pepsi Invaders, of all things. It discusses every bit of minutiae possible and, to me, its size looks like a college-level thesis paper. This user even spent five pages discussing how this game was only given to a handful of Coke employees! Amazing! I don't have to worry about plagiarism issues since the human moderator who sent this to me is supposed to have checked for all that for me (and, beings as I'm a machine, I'd do a mediocre job at it anyway). Therefore, my only worry is how many points I'm going to give this user. It's clear that this person has done an extensive amount of research on the Pepsi vs. Coke rivalry, as well as how Space Invader's major pop culture influence came into play. It must have taken this person a lot of work and I was designed to therefore be fair, but generous with the reward. I opt to give the lad or lass a pretty nice return on their time and energy, since, as far as I can tell, it took them a very long time to write an article of that length for Giant Bomb when they could have easily gotten it published as a book or something.

For me, this scenario is pretty common with users who submit large, original articles and I therefore don't know any better. Remember, I'm a machine after all.

Now let's go after the second scenario.

Scenario 2:  It turns out that somebody notices that the Pepsi Invaders article had a lot of grammatical errors. They might be minor or pretty significant, but it's not my problem to figure out how such an error-ridden article came through. Again, I don't have the capacity to really notice that sort of stuff. So in place of the old article, somebody has gone through and made some corrections. A good portion of the original article is intact and the only real changes have been some wording alterations here and punctuation additions there. Since this submission is using the old version as a template, though, it must be noted, according to my programming, that credit must still be acknowledged for the original author. After all, they did go through a lot of trouble to write a dissertation about a game almost nobody knows about. This new submission which has made a lot of English corrections may have taken the submitter a lot of time and work, but there's no way I can actually gauge that.

What do I actually see instead?

Because I'm a machine, the only thing I can notice is what superficial changes took place during the change. I thusly only see things in terms of altered characters, deleted words, and retrofitted punctuation marks. Since whole paragraphs haven't been replaced, it seems to me that  only a little work was done in the big scope of things. Again, the core of the article has been preserved; it's just that a lot of smaller things have been improved to spice things up. Because I make this presumption, I only give out a modest amount of points this time because, as far as I can tell, the amount of time and work which went into that isn't nearly as much as what it took to compose the original article. I can only see things in terms of alterations and because none of them were of a large scale (and on top of that, were spread throughout the article), I don't have a reason to give out more points because my very limited amount of processing power prevents me from thinking beyond that.

Am I wrong? Probably. But what am I supposed to do? I'm not designed to have a human component which can better assess things such as time and effort. As far as I'm concerned, I'm just doing my duty and moving on to the next submission.

So what's my point? Chances are that Dietlama isn't necessarily getting the points he deserves simply because the system hasn't been designed for people like him in mind. Is that right? Probably not.  I proofread some articles I stumble upon in the moderation queue from time to time when they have rather blatant errors, so I can understand the sort of dedication which is necessary to make that be a big part of your experience on Giant Bomb. It is really admirable to go out and do that and I'm not being sarcastic when I say that. The less emphasized aspects of writing are just important as the major ones such as drafts and as such deserve their due recognition. Unfortunately, there's not much else in the way of direct comfort I can offer. Like I pointed out, the system is flawed because it was designed by humans. I may not like that and Dietlama may not like that, either, but the only thing I can say about that is that everything has room for improvement, Giant Bomb's point system included. I say anybody who really wants to see this changed should be talking to the staff members in a more direct manner. Believe or not, they do actually listen to the people.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Milkman

Well, first off, points are automatic. There is no way to get around that. But even if the points weren't, I don't know what you expect. You choose to make small edits then you get a small amount of points. Do you expect to get 20 points every time you add a period to the end of a sentence? And if you did that, you would have to do it both ways. If you give people who proofread articles a large amount of points for fixing something small then people who write big articles are going to want more points.

And another thing, there is no reason you can't fix the Raziel page. Proofreading is not your "department". You are free to edit what you want and how you want. Just because you usually just proofread pages doesn't mean you can't write a page or two. Try it out. It's not that hard.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spacetrucking
Pepsiman said:
" Lots of good stuff
"
Maybe the system needs more human input to make it near perfect then ? Imagine if a mod actually reads the edits and then compares it to the original article and finds that the edits actually made the whole thing a lot more readable ? Maybe he can assign some extra bonus points as a result ? Having a completely automated system would only lead to problems now and in the future. I mean you guys are scanning through the articles anyway, maybe you should start paying more attention to what goes up on the site as the queue times have gone down considerably and the content inflow has slowed down as well.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lordofultima

Great post, Pepsi. I'm glad you took the time to write all that out.

Avatar image for americanpegasus
AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AmericanPegasus
Killjoy said:
"Pepsiman said:
" Lots of good stuff
"
Maybe the system needs more human input to make it near perfect then ? Imagine if a mod actually reads the edits and then compares it to the original article and finds that the edits actually made the whole thing a lot more readable ? Maybe he can assign some extra bonus points as a result ? Having a completely automated system would only lead to problems now and in the future. I mean you guys are scanning through the articles anyway, maybe you should start paying more attention to what goes up on the site as the queue times have gone down considerably and the content inflow has slowed down as well.
"
Still would take to long..20 more things would probably come in before I was halfway done with one article. And if mods decided how much points you got, how would people with 1000 points + get anything? MagusMaleficus said:
"Lies said:
"While I do agree some of the comments made by the mods in here are kinda dickish (no offense, most of em are cool guys and I don't suspect they meant to come off that way), if you have a problem with the points system, you gotta take it up with the GB engineers. They're really the only guys with power to change the points system, as it's completely automated.

Shoot one of them a PM, and you'll probably get a more helpful response (although I do hear they're pretty busy :P Might take a while)."
Believe me, I already did. I'm sure it will be quite some time before anything is done about it, but I'm confident that the changes I--and many others--would like to see made to article editing will happen in the near future (whether the mods like it or not)."

Hit me up with a PM about your ideas, and I'll forward them to the staff. I like answering users PM's, but some of the things you've don't aren't the best to get someone to help you. Anyways, still send me that PM, I respond the second I get them if I'm on.

MagusMaleficus said:
"Killjoy said:
"Okay, before this gets out of hand...he wasn't calling you a worm. He was referring to the people who make grammatical errors as "scum" or whatever. I guess his attempt at defusing the situation with satire failed. You are not helping by calling the mods a bunch of smart asses either!"
I didn't call all of them smart-asses--just the one. And to be fair, it was a very smart-ass (and completely unhelpful) statement he made. 

Besides, I'm totally calm now, because I can tell the wiki-only mods apart from the forum mods. The wiki-only mods, according to the very helpful MB (no, really, he's cool), have absolutely no say in forum affairs. Hell, even the forum mods aren't exempt from retribution from the staff if they act like some of these wiki mods (and don't think for a second I wouldn't report abuse).
"
You ask as if we really wanted your post deleted we couldn't ask a forum mod..No one wants to delete your post, I wouldn't do it if I had the power too. If  enough of didn't like it, we'd hit the little "-" sign on it. Notice how most of your post are lacking it?
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By spacetrucking
AmericanPegasus said:
"Killjoy said:
"Pepsiman said:
" Lots of good stuff
"
"
Still would take to long..20 more things would probably come in before I was halfway done with one article. And if mods decided how much points you got, how would people with 1000 points + get anything? 
My idea was that the mods can help the system in deciding the number of points awarded. If you think someone wrote something really nice, give them extra points in ADDITION to the ones given by the system. If anything, this will promote better quality of articles by people. The crux of the matter is that people need a thousand points to do live edits, no one cares about points after that landmark. A lot of good "editors" aren't getting to that point while a lot of people who just submit images (and don't contribute to any articles and no offense but generally have poor judgments) are getting a billion points. I'm just trying to propose ways to get around this problem.

I'm quite sure that the Giantbomb staff itself is aware of this problem so I trust them enough to come up with a solution, especially for all the image submission crap where you don't have to write a single word for thousands of points.
Avatar image for americanpegasus
AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AmericanPegasus

Yes, I agree that I've seen certain articles that I would like to give a recommendation for more points.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, what a difference a little sleep can make. I wake up, and you guys are talking sense here. Cool. 

Anyhoo, let me just say that if I managed to royally piss any off last night--and I'm sure I did--I'm sorry. Posting in a forum past midnight about an issue that really concerns the staff, and not mods, is a dumb idea to begin with. Posting past midnight when one really needs to get some sleep is an extremely bad idea. 

I'm not going to change my mind about good, lengthy article edits being allocated extra points, but I fully understand now that there's nothing you mods can do about that. I also understand that if extra points could be allocated by actually reading slowly through each submission, well, that would slow things down a great deal. I'm trying to think of a way around that; and as soon as I have something concrete I feel could work and benefit everyone who contributes to the site, I'll PM just about everyone who would have a say.

So now, I leave you all with this:

I love those things.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By brukaoru

Excellent post Pepsiman. The mods do quite a fine job here and I hate to see them be blamed for something they have no control over.

Dietlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Dietlama
Just to clear something up, I was never talking about proofreading forum posts (yours, my own, or anyone's).

I'm really happy to see that this topic is getting some serious discussion.   Some of the early posts were not so courteous, but it seems as though things have settled a bit.  First off, I did not understand the way that the mods approve content.  I thought a moderator was giving points (or not giving points) based on perceived contribution.  This is obviously not the case, so we'll leave that alone.

Pepsiman:
Thank you for the excellent explanation, whether speculation on not.  I now think I see how the system treats my edits.  My original point still stands though.  If I had divided my Raziel edit into three separate edits, I would have received three points instead of one, as the computer still sees it as a minimal change, and a moderator would have likely ok'd it.  So, for my Raziel example, I should have edited only the first titled section.  Then submitted another edit for the second, etc...

Secondly, I would say that moderators (this could be directed at anyone really) should slow down just a bit.  Speed is on everyone's mind, but I don't think you'd find the majority clamoring for quantity over quality.  I would suggest rejecting more submissions with a note that says something like, "needs a little more polish, please resubmit."

The problem people will have with this is that GB is a mad dash to get as many subs approved as possible.  But, I think that it is the responsibility of the moderators to expect a certain level of writing before an article goes up.  If this is not something the mods want or are able to do, then the community members willing to correct such errors should be recognized accordingly.

Killjoy:
I never meant this thread to be a criticism of the work you have done on the Raziel page, or any of your other work.  My comment about the article's length was off-topic for this thread, and we should take that discussion to the Legacy of Kain forum (I'll start a thread there).  The same goes for your criticism of my edits, including the Timestreamer point, as well as the discussion of my alterations to the ending.

Your comments about not focusing on proofreading your own content are another matter.  I have the right as a member of the site to proofread all day long, if that is what entertains me.  It is your problem that you chose not to really focus on editing when you made your original post. 

Milkman:
Maybe you misunderstood me.  I call proofreading my "department," because it is what I want to do to help the site be the best that it can.  I am fully aware that I can write descriptions, and am very capable of doing so.  But, that isn't what I want to do here for multiple reasons (one of which being that the few descriptions I have submitted were aced not by higher quality articles, rather longer ones, and most likely the case was that the other article made it into the queue first).  It just seems a more efficient use of my time to proofread the work of others.  

The fact that the site values content production should in no way change the value of increasing the quality of the content.  In other words, just because I can write articles, doesn't mean that I shouldn't get (a fair amount of) points for proofreading.