Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Endogene

re upped the article with the title corrected and several small updates

Note to mods and all

this article is a work in progress, feel free to edit it to make it more comprehensive and appealing to the eye, I'll edit it myself with suggestions made in the comments on this article, when done this should help everyone building this site

When you decide to add an characters or location there are several things to be sure of before hand
First of all use the search option located in the upper right hand corner of the site and search for what you are missing, i might be that it just hasn't been linked to the specific page you deem it missing from.

checking

yep its onett not onette like you pronounce it
yep its onett not onette like you pronounce it

Then check for alternative spelling of your idea, it happens that misnamed characters and locations are added (mods are not omniscient) if you find it and its misspelled post a topic in the "editing and tools" forum and send a PM to a mod (list of mods) with the link of that topic.

even if you are 100 percent sure that it is misspelled look for an in game screen shot that shows you're right and post it in your article as proof for the mod.
Now that you're sure that what you are about to add doesn't exist already

naming

be sure of the spelling, even if you're sure always check with an in game screen shot
Characters are often called by their nicknames in games, an example would be edge in final fantasy IV whose real name is actually Edward Geraldine.
In this case the character should be called Edward Geraldine not Edward "Edge" Geraldine (which it is now) the name "edge" should be added to the aliases of the character.

(note when you put a name between (") the search engine seems not to be able to find it, adding a nickname to the aliases does)

Please note that it happens that names of locations and characters differ between versions of games (US EU release) or are open to free interpretation (regarding translated names from foreign games to English) add these alternative names to the aliases.

description

In the description be sure to add what universe it's from this facilitates users finding what they are looking for.

example:
you're looking for a character that you know his name from and that he is from some sort of game that had fire in the title

Kyle( character )

Guardian of the Nanza barrier, and leader of a group of local bandits. Kyle is in love with Jessica, though he would never admit it.

Kyle( character )

Kyle is a valorous knight from Renais. He is an extremely intelligent soldier and is a playable character in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.

The first Kyle when you look at his description except if you actually now what the Nanza barrier is you have no idea where he's from, the second one on the other hand shows everything you need to know, would the person who made the description for the second Kyle page not have included the name fire emblem would would have had to guess which kyle was the one we were looking for.

Adding a "Mugshot"

When adding a picture for you're addition be sure to add one that is the most representative of it (also check out image submission further on)

Also if you want to be sure that you're submission is accepted add in the commentary what precise games it is from so that the mods can easily decide if your submission is valid. If ever your submission is denied and you do not agree with it being denied please feel free to post about it on the "editing and tools"  board.

Who's that ...?
Who's that ...?

Sephiroth is BadASS !!!
Sephiroth is BadASS !!!

example:
Look at these two images, which one of theme do you recognize as Sephiroth from final Fantasy VII? yet they these to images both represent the same character.

Add a mugshot while keeping in mind that you are adding it for others as well and not only for yourself.

You're submission has been accepted what to do now?

3 things, add images, text and linking it.

Adding images

Un linked and hard to find image
Un linked and hard to find image
Linked correctly and easy to find
Linked correctly and easy to find
When you have some screen shots that go with your newly created character/ location page do not post it in that page it's image section.
Instead of doing so post the image you want to add the game where your submission is from  its image page then link it to your submission it's image section (of course check if the image you're about to add is not already in the game it's image section, if so link that image to your page).
This prevent the same image from being uploaded multiple times by other people on different parts of the site.

also try adding some specific galleries like concept art, in game ect... so that other users can complete you article with more ease.
Important: Other users wont be able to link images to your new article unless there are galleries in them.

here is an example of a character page that is easy to link images to:

Character page with galleries
Character page with galleries
You might notice how both the galleries have the same image as "avatar". This is because i couldn't find any other image of the character "Rick". I created both the galleries (screen shots and artwork) and then removed the image from the screen shot gallery.

Adding text

Linking it

Finally don't forget to link your article to the concerning game page otherwise your article will be pretty useless for no one will know it exist.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Endogene

if you have any suggestions please post them and i'll work them into the article

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Endogene

not sure about this but in my experience it seemed impossible to link an image to a page with no gallery, is this so?

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Axersia
Endogene said:
"not sure about this but in my experience it seemed impossible to link an image to a page with no gallery, is this so?"
Yeah, that does seem to be the case.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene
Axersia said:
"Endogene said:
"not sure about this but in my experience it seemed impossible to link an image to a page with no gallery, is this so?"
Yeah, that does seem to be the case."
thanks for pointing that out, i just edited it into my first post
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By astrotriforce

Nice post. But please re-read and edit the "Adding Images" section so it reads better, there's a few mistakes in it where you repeat words. But otherwise, good job, thanks. :)

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Endogene
astrotriforce said:
"Nice post. But please re-read and edit the "Adding Images" section so it reads better, there's a few mistakes in it where you repeat words. But otherwise, good job, thanks. :)
"
I will, thanks for bumbling this by the way, perhaps more new users will stumble upon it now.
Perhaps a MOD would consider making this a sticky, or re use it for a better faq.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Dude, DOS is like 20 years old. Who still uses that?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Endogene
Arkthemaniac said:
"Dude, DOS is like 20 years old. Who still uses that?"
New users, this site is far from standard and requires quite an effort to adopt to it.
Also since not everybody here is making wiki most of the time entries like i do, im sure that this guide is useful.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew

Oh, I get it. He's referring to "Dos" as in "Dos and donts" and comparing it to DOS, the "disk operating system".
Ugh.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Endogene
LordAndrew said:
"Oh, I get it. He's referring to "Dos" as in "Dos and donts" and comparing it to DOS, the "disk operating system".
Ugh."
now that you say it....
DOS was the shit though, i still like using cmd.exe
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I am teh genius, don't deny it.