Anyone else pick this up?

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By norm9

Played through a few hours on Switch. Pretty fun city management/TBS game.

Crashed twice on Switch, graphics occaionally janky, but overall it's fun taking over rackets and watching numbers go up.

eta- The game takes place over a world map not unlike the Paris map in Ass Creed Unity. Different buildings owned by different factions are differenly colored to easily differentiate between them. Using a cursor (or manually controlling your character) you can just pick a building and take it over. If it's vacant, you can buy it and turn it into a speakeasy, brothel, etc. If it's occupied, the game turns into a TBS at that point.

It zooms in and you and your hired crew go through a Xcom-lite/Planetfall turned based battle. Your guys can have special powers like in xcom. What's really neat about this is that every character has their own defined personality that changes with time and battles. FOr instance, you character might end up witnessing anohter character get killed and a new trait will pop up in their window saying that they're not going to be wigging out if they see more of their friends dead and theyll act accordingly when that happens.

Once you beat the people who own the building, you can take it over for free or you can renovate and turn it into a different type of operation. So you've got choices. This carries over into the numerous incremental upgrades you can give to your buildings.

Your big mission in the game is to take over Chicago. The music is great. The artwork is fine as long as you don't zoom in too much.

I've been waiting a long time for a crime type city finance management game so I'm pretty stoked overall. Only thing I wish was there was a auto-battle system in place as some of these battles on the street takes gforever if you've got numerous factions and the police all on the same small map. However, doing so will negate the trait system, so I see why auto battling is not there.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It looks right up my alley. I really liked Omerta, which is sorta similar.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3 fisk0  Moderator

It's kinda been the only game I've looked forward to all year aside from the C&C Remaster, but so far the reception for the PC version is very poor, so I've been holding off on picking it up. Hopefully it gets some coverage on the site before the end of the year.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Read Gita Jackson's writeup over on Vice and picked it up immediately.

It's a little Crusader King's, and a little XCOM, and I cannot wait to take a bigger bite.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@sparky_buzzsaw: Seeing Empire of Sin on upcoming release lists has just spurred me to consider installing Omerta, which I bought on a sale but never played. How did it shake out, after patches? I remember hearing at launch it was rather buggy.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By redwing42

Very interested in this as well, but was waiting for a few reviews to pop up. Glad to hear it generally runs fine on Switch. That is one of the toughest things to find out on multi-platform releases, and why I do hesitate on these purchases.

How is the difficulty? Is there any challenge, or are some of the X-Com aspects turned up too far?

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@fisk0: I’d take that reception with a grain of salt. So far I’ve played 3-ish hours and the only technical issue I ran into was the first time I closed the game on launch day, it refused to actually close. It wasn’t in my Task Manager but it showed as running in Steam and couldn’t be killed. I restarted my PC and all he been fine since.

Gameplay wise I think it’s good so far, although there are some things that aren’t explained well or fully. Examples: how to use taxis confused the hell out of me until I looked up that they’re more like fast travel points than mounts. You click where you want to end up, not a close one that then takes you elsewhere. I also got a quest from one of my first hires to check on her man. I did, helped him out and he wanted to work for me but hated the other guy on my crew. So I fired the guy he hated, but then couldn’t afford the upfront cost of the guy I had just helped and who volunteered to work for me. I don’t know if that would have played out differently if I’d fired the other guy first?

I still feel more like I’m poking and prodding at the systems. So far I worry that instead of a game that’s a mile wide and inch deep, it may be more like 10 miles wide and several feet deep. There are a LOT of systems at play, but I need to see how they come together.

For what it’s worth, I have enjoyed my time with it so far.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Read Gita Jackson's writeup over on Vice and picked it up immediately.

It's a little Crusader King's, and a little XCOM, and I cannot wait to take a bigger bite.

This sounds like my jam.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ToughShed

Every review I have seen has savaged this game for its bugs so far so it sounds like it needs work.

Also sounds like its a particular mess on Switch, which is too bad as I'd love to play it there.

This is a Paradox joint though and their games are usually well supported so I'm keeping a close on eye on this.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@bisonhero: It was mostly fine for me. I had a lot of trouble with one mid-game mission not loading enemies but that was early after its release.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ToughShed

I was trying to think of the mafia themed game I had played like this because it wasn't Omerta that you guys are talking about, it was Gangland. Its an RTS/tactical/ARPG kind of version of very similar ideas from 2004, where its all taking place in real time with you moving a character around. Pretty fun game at the time.

Loading Video...

Jakelshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve been hearing mixed things. Hope to see a video on it