2014 Sarumarine VG Music Awards!

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

One thing I like to say a lot when I make these end-of-year things is that I don't have infinite time or money. I miss a lot of stuff in favor of other stuff. I am easily the least qualified person to compile a summary of any year. However, I do listen to a lot of video game music. So I decided to talk about that- one of the most subjective things on the planet next to art and favorite color.

The one truth I like to hold onto, is that no matter what happens to this industry, the music gets better and better every year. There's something for everyone and it has not stopped for a second. So this would be my line up for the 10 songs that stuck with me the most way after I stopped playing the games they came from. It's hard as I limited myself to 10 so I didn't stuff the whole list with Tropical Freeze songs. They are in no particular order, so hopefully you enjoy.

Also YouTube Links. Get ready!

La Dance Macabre (Lich Yard) by Jake Kaufmann [Shovel Knight]

This was a really close tie with High Above the Land (Propellor Knight's Stage) but La Dance Macabre has a real Castlevania vibe to it which I really, really enjoy. The tempo in this song is perfect and keeps me moving. I think I was sold on Shovel Knight as soon as I played this stage. So La Dance Macabre has a special place in my heart.

Evil Eye by Simon Viklund [Payday 2]

You may or may not remember Payday 2 from Overkill Software about a bunch of dudes in clown masks robbing banks. You may or may not remember there was a crossover with Dennyton Games and Hotline Miami. And you may or may not have heard this fantastic pounding 2014 release known as Evil Eye by the awesome Simon Viklund. Perfect tune to weather a police assault or two.

Tomorrow is Mine by Keeley Bumford [Bayonetta 2]

I might be prepared to say that Tomorrow is Mine is a little cheesy in someways. But I am damn glad it served as the main theme for Bayonetta 2, because I was always ready to fight angels or demons with this track going. The music for the first Bayonetta struck me in a lot of the right ways, so I am glad to see the sequel keep the soundtrack streak moving.

Bowser's Castle by Shiho Fujii, Atsuko Asahi, Ryo Nagamatsu, Yasuaki Iwata [Mario Kart 8]

I don't really know who is mainly responsible for the Bowser's Castle song in Mario Kart 8, but they did a fantastic job. It's my favorite Bowser's Castle yet, and this song always leaves me psyched to revisit it. I think Alex Navarro said it the best describing it as Nintendo's version of metal. Well put.

Menschmachine by Petri Alanko [Trials Fusion]

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE. MAN. MACHINE. THE FUSION!

I think I have fallen too far down the hole of this song to tell whether it's the best or worst thing in the year 2014. But man do I enjoy it all the same. I love the build up and simplistic lyrics. Good on you RedLynx. Keep that title screen music tradition rolling.

Remnant of Twilight by Masato Koike, Yuki Matsumura [Hyrule Warriors]

I don't remember the music in Twilight Princess very much (well, not at all really) but I love the beat they laid down for this one in Hyrule Warriors. Love this beat so much. As much as the Warriors team is known for shredding guitars and turning everything into a very special kind of rock music. I like this one for the sense of marching. Extra points if you're playing as Zant or Midna.

Zone 1 Level 2 by Danny Baranowsky [Crypt of the Necrodancer]

Get your necrodance on. I'm actually super terrible at this game, but damn if the soundtrack by DannyB doesn't grab me anyway. I dig that disco beat. And it's extra swell when the merchant stretches his pipes and sings a bar or two.

Urabon by Grillo [Lethal League]

Lethal League has some sick beats. And nothing is quite as sick as Urabon by Grillo. Love this track. Not much else to say about that. Just let it wash over you.

Paper Boats feat. Ashley Barrett by Darren Korb [Transistor]

I suppose my dark 2014 confession is that I don't appreciate the Transistor soundtrack as much as the next person. I tend to gravitate toward songs that really pump things up. But I do really enjoy the Paper Boats song enough to make it a mention. As far as a soundtrack with lyrics goes, Transistor has the rest of the year beat. Really nice stuff.

Punch Bowl by David Wise [Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze]

If I did a more traditional list, Punch Bowl by David Wise would have been the best boss theme of 2014 easily. But for this one, it just makes it as one of my favorite songs in 2014 in general. I love fighting the Bashmaster to this song. The guitar is so, so good. Not something you'd expect in a Donkey Kong Country game, but I am glad to have it.

Sarumarine's 2014 VG Soundtrack of the Year - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

If you're curious, if I had to pick a winner, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze would be my favorite soundtrack of the year. That whole list is so amazing with so much variety and catchy tunes that I've had it going in the background for most of the year. Grassland Groove, Fruity Factory, Horn Top Hop, Busted Bayou, Big Top Bop, and more. Just really outstanding work from all involved to make that soundtrack possible. It really helped me adjust to the Retro controls of the DK game while grooving out to all the music. I think Tropical Freeze would be a lesser game without it for sure.

Sarumarine's Most Anticipated: Hotline Miami 2

For looking forward to 2015, I think I'm looking forward to what the soundtrack for Hotline Miami 2 might be more than the actual game. The first Hotline introduced me to a lot of cool artists I wish I had known of before. And here's hoping that Hotline 2 shows me even more cool music and people responsible for it. I'm sure there is going to be a lot of masked murder, but at least it'll sound good.

Here's to soundtracks in the year 2015. I'm really psyched to see what pops up next.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I can't say I cared much for Payday 2 the game, but its soundtrack is pretty bitchin'! I also legitimately love that Trials Fusion theme song! Kinda brings to mind the musical perfection that is MGRising's soundtrack.

One thing that surprised is how good Far Cry 4's is. There's unfortunately not enough of it so it tends to loop a little too often when you're messing around in the open world, but a couple of tracks in particular have managed to stick with me:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I'm also a fan of the The Evil Within's main theme sung by Gary Numan. Takes some pretty obvious inspiration from NiN's Hurt, but it's a pretty good track nonetheless. Sounds akin to an intro to a modern day reimagining of Twin Peaks or something.

Loading Video...

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Those Far Cry 4 songs are great. I especially like Unfamiliar Paths. Are there any specific moments they show up? Or is it more for general ambiance when you're out exploring? I've played a bit of the game so far. It's pretty amazing, although it is my first Far Cry game.

Oh man. I had no idea that song was so long in The Evil Within. They use a criminally short part of it during the intro. Did they reuse it in the credits? I might have missed that if so.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@sarumarine: I believe those two particular songs at least only play while you're just out and about in the open world. And yes, the full version of Long Way Down plays over the credits.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

@yummylee: I had a hard time appreciating Far Cry 4's soundtrack because the entire time I was wishing it had Blood Dragon's.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fantastic list. That PayDay 2 song is awesome.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarumarine: I couldn't agree more with La Dance Macabre from Shovel Knight. Also, my favourite track from a game this year and perfectly captured the castlevania-style! I thought I was the only one!

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@el_tajij: Yeah! You're never the only one, it's just a matter of finding other people who feel the same way. Haha. But the intro is what really gets me as far as Castlevania goes. Really catchy song.

@brandondryrock: Yeah, I really like Evil Eye, but the whole Payday 2 soundtrack is really great. Of course, that game came out in 2013, so I can only really mention the DLC stuff in 2014.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

At least David Wise is getting recognition from someone around here. (Yes I know, Dan tried.)