Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Choi

Hi GB community, 

Once more I need your help. 

I'm very interested and passionate about Maya and 3d design in general. I did some tutorials on basic modeling and animation. ( you can check some of my work here, (and my pet husky- ignore that video) ) 
I was thinking about a big, own, personal Maya project that would include you, the community, in helping me with the creative process, especially the character design.  

The idea is that you send me in your character design, preferably in T- pose from the front and side, you get full credit and mention for it, and I turn it into a 3D model. Later I would probably texture it, rig it, and animate and render a short video. 
This is not for commercial use, just to improve my Maya skills. 

For the character itself, I think a cartoonish, bipedal robotic creature would be the easiest and fastest to do, organics require more modeling and animation skill.  
 This robot from a Simply Maya animation tutorial is a pretty good example. 

Front view
      Front view

Of course, I would update my project on my blog as it progresses through the stages and describing the steps.

What do you guys think? ; ) Any ideas, tips, good tutorials, lessons and links are much appreciated. 

I know I could just google for a robot T pose reference picture, but I wanted to invite you all in for the ride, so we can do something unique and original and have more motivation, collaboration and willpower to go through with it. 

Thank you all!   =) 

EDIT: Your entry for the character design can be hand-drawn, scanned and posted here, orr drawn in Photoshop or any other program. 
This DOES NOT require you to know Maya. (seem like some people misunderstood  me.)  So.. 

Character Design Idea

For the character itself, I think a cartoonish, bipedal robotic creature would be the easiest and fastest to do, organics require more modeling and animation skill.
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Choi

Hi GB community, 

Once more I need your help. 

I'm very interested and passionate about Maya and 3d design in general. I did some tutorials on basic modeling and animation. ( you can check some of my work here, (and my pet husky- ignore that video) ) 
I was thinking about a big, own, personal Maya project that would include you, the community, in helping me with the creative process, especially the character design.  

The idea is that you send me in your character design, preferably in T- pose from the front and side, you get full credit and mention for it, and I turn it into a 3D model. Later I would probably texture it, rig it, and animate and render a short video. 
This is not for commercial use, just to improve my Maya skills. 

This robot from a Simply Maya animation tutorial is a pretty good example. 

Front view
      Front view

Of course, I would update my project on my blog as it progresses through the stages and describing the steps.

What do you guys think? ; ) Any ideas, tips, good tutorials, lessons and links are much appreciated. 

I know I could just google for a robot T pose reference picture, but I wanted to invite you all in for the ride, so we can do something unique and original and have more motivation, collaboration and willpower to go through with it. 

Thank you all!   =) 

EDIT: Your entry for the character design can be hand-drawn, scanned and posted here, orr drawn in Photoshop or any other program. 
This DOES NOT require you to know Maya. (seem like some people misunderstood  me.)  So.. 

Character Design Idea

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Slurpelve

Thats pretty cool, keep up the great work!

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@Choi:
I'd totally want to help. But maya is expensive as shit.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Choi
@BadSniper52: Thank you very much. 

@No0b0rAmA: You don't need Maya. You just need to draw a character in a T-pose from the front and side and post it here and I might use it in a project. That's all. 

You all can also comment, suggest and help with your critic eye or some tips and tricks you have.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By RichardLOlson

That's cool...keep up the awesome stuff.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By valrog

Sweet. I'm interested in helping you out.

Also, this definitely deserves a follow.

Edit: I almost forgot. Digital-Tutors have some amazing tutorials that you could check out. Also, Gnomon always has some useful stuff as well.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

it's pretty good. keep the good work!

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By ptys
@Choi:  Hows Maya? I've got 'Blender' for my Mac but haven't started the modeling yet as I'm still learning to draw.
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Choi
@valrog: Well, thank you good sir. And yes, most things I've learned are from Digital Tutors and Gnomon Workshop tutorials. I'll be getting some more when i stumble upon things I don't know. i haven't got a clue about texturing or rendering yet. 

@Jeust: Hey Jeust my man! Thanks! I will =)
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to model in Blender but gave up on it since it's so time consuming. This thread definetly gave me an urge to pick it up again, do you know if Maya is any better than Blender?

This seems like a great idea though. Sadly I don't have the time to contribute anything right now.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Choi
@ptys: Surprisingly user friendly. I use Acad and Catia for work because I'm an mechanical engineer an those programs are messy as hell compared  to Maya: I haven't used Blender, so I don't know the difference.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By valrog
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" do you know if Maya is any better than Blender? "
It most certainly is.
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Choi
@TheSeductiveMoose: Well. I've seen your AMAZING skills in the hamburger thread, it would be great to have your contribution to my project. You and Buzzclik and other BIG pleyaz ofc.
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Choi
@valrog said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose said:
" do you know if Maya is any better than Blender? "
It most certainly is. "
ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ptys
@valrog:  Blenders free, and some of the stuff I've seen made with it looks good enough for Pixar.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog
@ptys:  I never said that it's bad, only that Maya is superior in every possible way.

PS: You don't need to know how to draw to model.
skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By skadbob

Sorry but... your dog is cute.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By oatz

Cool beans. I love playing around in Mudbox once in a while.

TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Choi said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose: Well. I've seen your AMAZING skills in the hamburger thread, it would be great to have your contribution to my project. You and Buzzclik and other BIG pleyaz ofc. "
Thanks :), I will try and get the time to make something, but I'm currently swamped with schoolwork.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@TheSeductiveMoose: Maya or Houdini are considered industry standard, Blender ain't so hot but if you can use it to produce amazing work then there is no reason not to use it. I have never actually used Blender but we were told that Maya is far superior, though nobody actually explained why. 

@Choi: The models look good, it would be better if we could see some wireframe stuff to view the topography. Robots are a good place to start because they don't have to stretch of anything, and if they don't move completely naturally then that's ok. Also everybody makes the mistake of thinking stuff looks better when it's smoothed but you should try to focus on just getting the basic model right before you start messing about with smoothing stuff. The ridge of your car looks pretty sharp so I'm guessing you stuck a couple of edge loops round there - you have to be careful about those, they can really fuck with the topography and poly count. For a low poly model you should be aiming for about 1000.
boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By boylie
@Sweep said:
" For a low poly model you should be aiming for about 1000. "
Newer game models go WAAAAYYYYYYY higher then 1000 polys these days.  The company I work for does web based 3d stuff, and to work on the lowest pc specs while streaming over web, they still use about 1200 per character, and these are really simplistic characters we're talking about here.  If you're looking to make a character for your portfolio that you wanna show off as being like a current gen game model, you should realistically be looking at 8000-15,000 polys.  That is the budget that i'm aiming for on the character I am working on right now.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@boylie: I still think as a starting point 1000 is pretty accurate. Once you have the basic model then it's easy to add stuff but if you create a model that's got half a million polys then cleaning it up is neigh impossible. Also, the guy is just starting out, it's going to be a while before he can create models like yours ;)
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By meteora

Nice work, I'm doing some work in Maya right now to see if I can prep up as a 3D modeller/animator. Unfortunately I don't really have anything to give you to work with.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Choi
@Sweep: The helmet is a step by step text built-in Maya tutorial if I remember correctly, and the other 2-3 are just my own little modeling and animation endeavors (and FYI, non of them are finished), so the topography isn't clean or flashed out. Thanks for the heads up and tips, thou! 

@boylie:
 Just like Sweep said, it's gonna be awhile till I'll be able to do the quality of models you do. The model is great, and I'm sure I'll follow your creative process on your blog. The model is excellent, and the facial design kinda reminds me of the character design in BRINK

This is about getting the sense of the workflow, all the problems I'll run into and to train my skills.  

I didn't mention it, but I don't have any 3d design or modeler education.(and I'm 23)  
This is my self-taught experiment, in hope to chase my dreams of becoming a 3d designer. 
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Choi

If you can, spread this around. I only have around 20 followers at the moment and I know there are a lot of talented artists and designers on this site. 

Thanks everyone!

TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Choi said:
" If you can, spread this around. I only have around 20 followers at the moment and I know there are a lot of talented artists and designers on this site.  Thanks everyone! "
Done.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That's cool, I hope the deadline isn't today or anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @Choi said:
" If you can, spread this around. I only have around 20 followers at the moment and I know there are a lot of talented artists and designers on this site.  Thanks everyone! "
Done. "
Thank Moose.  I don't want to get on his bad side.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I have a design, sorry I haven't picked up a pencil in months, it's the joker. I'm adding color to it, however I need more time if you want me to perfectly clean up the lines because I don't have my inking program on my new rig right now. 

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Choi
@HitmanAgent47: No no, there's no deadline per say. I'm gonna announce the closing day when I'm satisfied with the entries. 

@TheSeductiveMoose:
Thanks a ton!!! 
I also PMed  bonbolapti who does the 100 challenge: bon VS Ossi. Hope some of those awsome people pitch in.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Choi: any suggestions for what you are looking for? Or is there anything you want me to try or change?  

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By RobotHamster

It's looking pretty good so far.  I'm learning all of this stuff I've been using maya for a while now and also zbrush, hopefully I'll get into the industry next year.  The edgeflow looks pretty good, also it would be good if you post for uv's so we could see how you did on those.  Definitely use a lot of reference, that'll be your best friend.  For the human model your working on research human anatomy, you can find a lot on the internet.  There is so much to learn about this stuff from topology, to edgeflow, whether it's organic or hardsurface, texturing, and tons more and thats just for modeling, animating a whole other game which I'm pretty ok in.  But for now just keep on practicing looking up tutorials, look for the wireframe on others models and try to imitate them.  Try posting on sites like polycount, cgtalk, game artist, and other sites where everyone there could give you really good critiques to improve your skill.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Okay, these are my submissions, if you don't use it, well whatever.  

TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

freshakiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By freshakiff

here's something i sketched up in like 10 mins, shouldnt take you that long to model.

No Caption Provided
I kid, have you gone to polycount.com? it's a great community for modelers, i go there a lot. I bet someone will help you there,
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Question for the OP, do you happen to know a good place for tutorials for beginners?

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By captain_clayman
@No0b0rAmA said:
"

@Choi:
I'd totally want to help. But maya is expensive as shit.

"
*cough*pirate it*cough* 

also, nice robot alien thing bro
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CowMuffins

I'll give you a design. If you release the model UV mapped for everyone else.

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By duderbattalion

Hey everyone, 

Since time eternal, a rift has split us programmers and artists to different corners of the interwebs. But it is high time we stitch this rift that dost tear us apart !  

Well .. not really .. but I just started a thread for duders to discuss game development and programming and I see some people there who are working on real cool stuff but need some help from their friendly neighbourhood artist-men .. err .. or women. So do drop a line there to say Hi if you want .. and connect with all the code monkeys hanging out there. The link is below: 
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/game-programming-discussion-thread/456281/#11 

Also, I hope you don't mind if I cross post this link on that thread for developers looking for artists. Maybe some of them could drop a line in here too ..  

Peace ! :)

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Choi
@HitmanAgent47: Thank you  very much for your first submissions, your a very talented man, my man =) 
But, it seems it's not apparent in the blog, I need a humanoid robot. =/ 

@TheSeductiveMoose:

About the community spotlight. Ha, yeah, I've been checking the community spotlight thread, but this seemed like a small thread compared to the stuff there. 
But I'll PM him, sure, why not? Thanks

@freshakiff: 

Now, thats more like it! Great drawing, is it yours? Or is that "I kid" part? =) 
And I'm gonna be needing a bigger picture than that ; ) 

@CowMuffins:

Hey, I probably will make everything publicly available once I'm satisfied  with the results. The model, then the rigged model, textured model etc. 
Just as long everyone mentions my name when doing something with it, just like I will the character designer. 

@Venom2112: Hi there, I'll check that thread when I find the time, thanks. 

@Ossi:  Hi Ossi, hope I would get the attention of you guys. Thanks for pitching in, like your work, keep it up! If you don't have the time for a submission just yet, spreading the word is enough. ; )
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Awesome stuff guys! .....This means I'm off the list, right^^

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Choi
@RobotHamster: Thank you very much for your input. I'll check all those sites and forums out for sure. I'm gonna have to branch out anyway. Much appreciated. 
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He isn't a robot and I haven't drawn him but Manny Calavera.

Tried making him myself once but only finished his head and his torso.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Choi
@TheSeductiveMoose: Yeah, he's a pretty simple model to work with. I might do him as a practice run or something, but I was really looking forward for some kind of original peace of character design. 
Do your magic Moose! =)
mnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mnB

Hi Choi. Cool thing you got going. I'm currently under education in 3d art (2nd year), so if you need any help (or have questions) I'm ready to lend a hand. I work in 3ds, Maya and zbrush - mainly as a modeller and animator (got knowledge in rigging, light and texturing aswell). 

Ill follow you, and see how it all evolves :)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

So I have a few orthographic views at my site, but I made them before actually having a decent understanding of what a modeler needed so they're not in a T-pose. But yeah, if you're interested in some practice, I've done a few. 

And this isn't a full ortho but maybe you can do something with it. 

Let me know if you end up using any of these. My email is on the site.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Choi
@ryanwho: Wow, thank you for sharing your talent and art. I really like your work, some of it's disturbing, but kinda in a good way =) 
Actually, I really like your "Forrest Native" character.  
 I'll leave it to you to post it here if you want. 
I also dig the Peony character (first picture)- looks like a futuristic mannequin. 
Thanks for the submission, I'll definitely keep you in mind for the project. But I need a lot of practice first. 

I think I'll try and take the sackboy model as far as it goes first.