3DS Game Recommendations

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bravely Default is an obvious one, and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I recommend MGS3D, it's using Peace Walker's control schemes, graphics on par with the PS2, second screen works better at managing the multiple inventories, but then it kinda sucks they removed the nightmare minigame "guy savage" since the HD collections.

I also recommend Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, screen text is pretty blurry, there's no online but it plays really well and its fun to run around with that combat.

OF COURSE, PUSHMO!!!!! Seriously this game is delightful.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Odyssey IV, and Etrian Odyssey Untold. Persona Q comes out later this year and there's a sequel to Bravely Default somewhere in the pipeline as well. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is a good game, too, if you've got a taste/tolerance for a bit of old school clunkiness.

If you never had a DS, then there's a good back catalog for you to start looking into. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, the Mega Man Zero Collection, and Chrono Trigger are all wonderful, and I've heard nothing but good things about Radiant Historia.

Theatrythm Final Fantasy was supposed to be a good rhythm game for Final Fantasy fans, if you've got nostalgia for those games.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By generic_username

Crimson Shroud on the e-shop is pretty awesome. I just posted about it in the "defend a game nobody cares about" thread.

Also, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies is pretty damn good. It's only available on the E-shop, and it's about 30$, but it's a great game, and totally stands on it's own even if you haven't played the others.

Other then that, all I can say is don't get Paper Mario: Sticker Star, is the most disappointed I have been in a video game in years.

I have a bunch of DS back-catalog games I could recommend if you'd like, considering how the system is backwards-compatible.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

btw, I don't recommend Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. I don't deny it's got beautiful graphics and oozing out charm. But the Egadd constant interrupting over every single item I find. It's worse then Zelda game, in fact it's so bad I could never finish the game because it's just too annoying. No quick saves instead it's sectioned off. The game looks beautiful, the ghost busting is better then every. So play at your own Risk

Oh yeah, and Resident Evil Revelation is totally worth it. Fits better on the 3DS, story is resident evil cheese, battles are bite sized, and then later there's a whole upgrade system difficult bosses, and your street pass friends become higher level enemies to fight in the game. It's probably the best Resident Evil game we had in a long time, campy, dumb, and a lot of fun.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Corevi

As other people have said Dual Destinies, Pushmo/Crashmo, MGS3D and SMT4 are all great games. The Shin Megami Tensei name is a seal of quality to me and you can't go wrong with any game in that series. The Etrian Odyssey games are pretty good aswell but i don't own them. I will give a nega-recommendation on Bravely Default, it is literally garbage. Don't buy SMT4 on the Eshop though, its $10 more than it is at any physical shop and you don't get any of the goodies (soundtrack and mini game guide). also Persona Q is looking fantastic, but it may not really work if you don't know much about the series.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I definitely recommend Shadow Wars. It's a genuinely good tactics game.

Also, Virtue's Last Reward - but make sure you play 999 first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There aren't any words that can properly describe how much I recommend Kid Icarus: Uprising. Great dialogue, great gameplay, great graphics, great soundtrack, an absoultely fantastic, if slightly barebones, online mode, tons of replay value...it simply does more justice to the Kid Icarus series than it could have ever possibly deserved. Also Pushmo/Pullblox, Ridge Racer 3D, Weapon Shop de Omasse and Mighty Switch Force are really good as well.

And Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D is great as well, but the framerate is a fucking shambles compared to the original and the HD remaster, so unless you don't have a PS2, PS3 or Xbox 360, don't bother buying that version

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mario Bros 3 came out recently and rumor has it that game is pretty good.

Also Metal Gear Solid 3 runs like ass on the 3DS. There's a demo if you want to test it yourself, but that is definitely not the version to play.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thatdutchguy

You already got the best 3DS got to offer.

WAIT ...... Get ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF.c'mon son.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As other people have said Dual Destinies, Pushmo/Crashmo, MGS3D and SMT4 are all great games. The Shin Megami Tensei name is a seal of quality to me and you can't go wrong with any game in that series. The Etrian Odyssey games are pretty good aswell but i don't own them. I will give a nega-recommendation on Bravely Default, it is literally garbage. Don't buy SMT4 on the Eshop though, its $10 more than it is at any physical shop and you don't get any of the goodies (soundtrack and mini game guide). also Persona Q is looking fantastic, but it may not really work if you don't know much about the series.

What makes you think that Bravely Default is garbage?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

No. Don't listen to this man.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Kid Icarus Uprising, It's still the best game on the system and one of the best examples of Nintendo going out of their comfort zone. It bums me out that they're more interested in putting out 2D platformers like Kirby, NSMB2, and Yoshi.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder said:

No. Don't listen to this man.

Are you saying that he shouldn't play the original before he plays the sequel? What kind of moon logic is that?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If you never had a DS, then there's a good back catalog for you to start looking into. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, the Mega Man Zero Collection, and Chrono Trigger are all wonderful, and I've heard nothing but good things about Radiant Historia.

Theatrythm Final Fantasy was supposed to be a good rhythm game for Final Fantasy fans, if you've got nostalgia for those games.

All of this is accurate.

And I just bought Super Mario Bros. 3 again after watching them play NES Remix 2. I regret nothing.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tom_omb

You just recently picked it up and you have all of those games already? I echo the New Leaf recomendations, but it looks like your hands are full as it is.

But if you want more check out the eShop. Pushmo and the Picross e series are addicting if you like puzzle games. I'm trying out Rusty's Real Deal Baseball right now, thanks to Alex's fascination on Bombin the AM. I'm having a fun time with the one game I've purchased so far.

Don't forget to register your games with Club Nintendo to earn some free virtual console games as well.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InsidiousTuna

Pushmo and Attack of the Friday Monsters.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is pretty fun if you've any interest in either of those series.

@video_game_king: @beachthunder: I never played 999 and I loved VLR.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

@eskimo said:

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is pretty fun if you've any interest in either of those series.

I HATE YOU SO MUCH I WISH IT WAS OUT IN THE STATES DAMMIT

That game is my dream crossover. I'm still waiting.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I thought Shadow Wars was good, but it was also a launch title so maybe I'm making it out to be better than it is.

If you do play one of the early Ubisoft titles, turn off the wireless switch. Keeping it on can cause the game to crash.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By afabs515

@eskimo said:

I HATE YOU SO MUCH I WISH IT WAS OUT IN THE STATES DAMMIT

That game is my dream crossover. I'm still waiting.

Yeah, what the fuck? Wasn't that supposed to come out like a month ago?

jadewiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm also looking for more games to play once New Leaf gets old.

I just bought my 3DS at the beginning of April, so these are what I have:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pokemon X
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Reserving:
Tomodachi Life

I've played the demos for MHU3 and liked it, but not enough that I'd ever really want to buy it. I was looking into Bravely Default but I don't like Final Fantasy style games too much.
I'm also not that much of a "NINTENDO CHARACTER MEANS GREAT GAME" kinda person.
I'm picky man, I just wanna have fun.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadewiz said:

I'm picky man, I just wanna have fun.

Are you a girl? 'Cause I've heard that about girls.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By VoshiNova

@hammondoftexas: I just returned the copy of Splinter Cell 3D I bought. It 's a replica of Chaos Theory as you probably already know, however I don't own a circle pad pro thing so using the face buttons for 3D camera really sucked. Also, I played the HELL out of Chaos Theory on Xbox, so playing this alone was a bit underwhelming as my memory for the levels is a bit too fresh.

Metal Gear Solid 3DS looks absolutely stunning, and I've been on the fence about getting it, as circle pad thing is highly recommended for it as well.

Really wanted to try Shadow Wars too, but the animated cut scenes and character art really turns me off it.

Let me know if you get them/enjoy them if you can! I'd love to here a duders opinion.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Corevi

@believer258 All the characters are the most generic anime stereotypes i've ever seen, the gameplay is archaic at best, ridiculous amounts of grinding are required for the vampire job and you need to beat the game 5 times to get an actual ending.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you need to beat the game 5 times to get an actual ending.

Wait, are you exaggerating, or is this serious?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 All the characters are the most generic anime stereotypes i've ever seen, the gameplay is archaic at best, ridiculous amounts of grinding are required for the vampire job and you need to beat the game 5 times to get an actual ending.

Those are all pretty legitimate claims (except archaic gameplay. It's old, sure, but that doesn't mean that it's bad. Old games are great!). But all of them can be applied to SMT IV as well, which you did recommend. It's very much a grind-y old school JRPG, just with a post-apocalyptic paintjob applied.

Either way, the OP should be aware that Bravely Default is essentially a mid-'90's Square RPG before buying it. The ending is also ridiculously padded out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: You don't have to beat Bravely Default five times, not literally, but apparently you do have to go beat a few bosses and "awaken" the crystals several times in a row. There's a thread about it in Bravely Default's subforum if you want more info. People were not pleased.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: SMT4 did some interesting things with what does good really mean and the multiverse aspect of the series, and i felt like the grinding was a lot better in it because you knew when you were ready, because you could make the demon, instead of ok i think i'm ready... nope, time to reload and walk all the way back to my grinding spot. I also just prefer the Press Turn system to the Brave/Default system.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Justin258

@believer258: SMT4 did some interesting things with what does good really mean and the multiverse aspect of the series, and i felt like the grinding was a lot better in it because you knew when you were ready, because you could make the demon, instead of ok i think i'm ready... nope, time to reload and walk all the way back to my grinding spot. I also just prefer the Press Turn system to the Brave/Default system.

I think SMT 4 is a pretty good game, mechanically, but I'll have to disagree on the story and multiverse, I don't think the game did anything interesting with those concepts at all. Actually, they felt like filler to me.

But I'm not here to argue, I think that both are pretty good games but if you're in the mood for a JRPG on the 3DS, Shin Megami Tensei IV is probably the better bet.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conception is so good old japanese weirdness game, donno how it is on the 3ds though