A game you hate just sold 1 billion copies.

• 86 results
Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Edited By Mayu_Zane

There's this game, and you watched previews of it. You've seen the trailers. You don't like what you've seen so far, but reviewers you trust seem to have had fun with it, praising the game in vague terms because they didn't want to risk spoiling what's in store. The game gets perfect scores everywhere. You decide to give it a shot.

So you buy the game. You play it. Your own personal verdict: "This is shit!" You can't enjoy anything about the game. Angry and confused, you decide to stop playing it. However, when you check out the internet, you discover the game has become extremely popular. In less than a month, it has made 1 billion sales.

Yes, that's right: This game is so popular that the game's publisher, due to customer demand, made more retail copies than there are actual systems that can even play this thing. Everyone who has ever owned one feels they should buy extras 'just in case something happens to it'.

You don't understand it. Nothing makes sense. You've played the game, you've spent as much time with it as you were willing to bear with before deciding to stop, and yet almost everybody else  adores every single part of it, from beginning to end. Worse, everyone else thinks you're crazy because you're not calling it 'the greatest game ever made'. No one in any forum agrees with you, no one you know understands your confusion. Not even your closest friends are immune to the game's charms. Everyone in the world either owns it or wants to own a copy. It is apparently so good even all the software pirates would pay for it because the game is so impressive, so amazing that people are compelled to pay money for the developer's efforts.

What would you do? Go on a rant on the net about how everyone else is nuts? Ignore it and hope the popularity dies down soon? Meet a psychologist to figure out if you're the crazy one? Give up games forever, believing it to be a sign of coming trends? Investigate the game's developers to see if they're running some kind of brainwashing scheme? As for me, I'll just stay quiet and hope there will be games that won't try to follow the 'leader'.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Mayu_Zane

There's this game, and you watched previews of it. You've seen the trailers. You don't like what you've seen so far, but reviewers you trust seem to have had fun with it, praising the game in vague terms because they didn't want to risk spoiling what's in store. The game gets perfect scores everywhere. You decide to give it a shot.

So you buy the game. You play it. Your own personal verdict: "This is shit!" You can't enjoy anything about the game. Angry and confused, you decide to stop playing it. However, when you check out the internet, you discover the game has become extremely popular. In less than a month, it has made 1 billion sales.

Yes, that's right: This game is so popular that the game's publisher, due to customer demand, made more retail copies than there are actual systems that can even play this thing. Everyone who has ever owned one feels they should buy extras 'just in case something happens to it'.

You don't understand it. Nothing makes sense. You've played the game, you've spent as much time with it as you were willing to bear with before deciding to stop, and yet almost everybody else  adores every single part of it, from beginning to end. Worse, everyone else thinks you're crazy because you're not calling it 'the greatest game ever made'. No one in any forum agrees with you, no one you know understands your confusion. Not even your closest friends are immune to the game's charms. Everyone in the world either owns it or wants to own a copy. It is apparently so good even all the software pirates would pay for it because the game is so impressive, so amazing that people are compelled to pay money for the developer's efforts.

What would you do? Go on a rant on the net about how everyone else is nuts? Ignore it and hope the popularity dies down soon? Meet a psychologist to figure out if you're the crazy one? Give up games forever, believing it to be a sign of coming trends? Investigate the game's developers to see if they're running some kind of brainwashing scheme? As for me, I'll just stay quiet and hope there will be games that won't try to follow the 'leader'.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Brians

I think I'd say ok that is a game i don't like. Luckily I have several other games I do like playing and play one of them.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

I'd say "I think the latest Call of Duty game is sort of shitty" when my opinion is called for, and leave it at that.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By animateria

Eh. Whatever. 

That's my opinion.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

If you don't like a popular game, don't waste your time ranting and criticizing the people who enjoy it. There are plenty games that you could be playing.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

You just described pretty much how I feel about every single big selling game for as far back as I can remember. You just learn that the majority have a terrible taste in games, and you don't voice your opinion about why you dislike the game because everyone will jump on you and attack you for having the audacity to not like the same kind of games they do. 

Then you just keep an eye out and pray that someone somewhere is still making the kind of games you like to play. For me it's usually one or two games a year that I end up really liking, and the rest I ether dislike or feel indifferent about.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By imsh_pl

Well, if you played the game and thought it's absolute shit, and other people praise it saying it's a masterpiece,  then there's gotta be some specific thing you didn't like about the game which everyone else loved.
 I'd pick the thing I hate the most and ask people what they think about it, so at least we can have a decent debate (since both sides have, presumabely, compeling arguments).

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Simplexity

My opinion is not absolute so I would just go "well it's not for me".

Only a jackass who thinks the world revolves around them would be mad about it.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By LeetBalla

Oh, so you're talking about Farmville right? I don't like it but, I won't make some crusade against it.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Fake your own death? 

I dunno, people can like what they want, that doesn't mean you have to do anything about it. There is no need to feel outcasted just because your own opinion is in the minority. Take pride in disassociating yourself from products which you consider to be terrible :D

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I would do nothing. I love games that other people hate, and dislike games other people like. I don't talk about it much, though, because no one is likely to change their minds, and I don't really see the point. 

People also shouldn't try to make others feel bad for liking something. If you don't like something and someone else does, then you're the one missing out, not them. Just move on to something you do like and let others be.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#12  Edited By Dimsey

If a bazillion people like this game I hate well good for them, I'm glad they're enjoying it. Not my cup of tea though, so I'll be over here playing something I DO like instead of getting mad at people for having differing tastes.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By rjayb89

EAT A PUPPY

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cramsy

Remember. It's cool to hate popular things. 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@rjayb89 said:
" EAT A PUPPY "

"No, please...     :( 
tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#16  Edited By tearhead

I've never actively hated a game, really. Sure, it could be possible that the overall acclaim of a game I dislike could fuel my hatred, but it would never get to a point where I need to prove everyone wrong or anything. Usually when games reach that level of fame, I can understand why people like it, but choose to disagree about what makes it "good."

obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By obiwan

I hated FF13. But nothing could stop fanboys of getting his reach on that game.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vodun
@crusader8463: So it's not you who has the terrible taste then? Because you're obviously always right?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If anyone had beef with me I would sing the first two lines of the Diff'rent strokes theme tune. 

I don't really care that people like things that I don't. If I did I would have probably killed myself a long time ago.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By xMP44x

I'd just think to myself that it's a decent game in the eyes of some, assume that those who enjoy it have different tastes to myself, and then play something I do enjoy. Or if someone on my friends list enjoys it, ask them if it gets better. It could be a brilliant game after the first few hours of play, and if it's good enough to sell one billion copies, then I'd be prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt, at the very least.

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bellmont42
@Mayu_Zane:  Yeah Dead Space 2 is pretty boring :(
Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

It depends if it's a game that just doesn't cater to my interests or is a poorly made game in my opinion. 
If it is a poor game, I would get mad I guess.

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By robot4me

You just described my opinion of shooters. They are o.k. but are never on my top ten must by list.

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By TrashMustache

Black Ops huh? yeah i think the whole game's bad, some parts yes, shit. the only good feature was one in the chamber.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sil3n7

Few series all told have sold over 100 million. So no, no it didn't and if one had I gonna guess those games are alright. 

I know it's cool to hate whats popular, but there is a reason it is.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GunnBjorn

Many people consider gaming in general as an inane and downright insane form of entertainment, no matter how popular it is. Sure, when you tell them it's a multi-billion dollar industry, even they're surprised by saying: 'Really...?' 

Industry analysts (with a degree in Business Psychology) are paid handsomely to do research about what's going on in the minds and lives of people/their clients' potential target group in order to fully exploit/stimulate the 'demand' and make a hefty buck. 

If I was an artist that made sculptures and paintings with the use of my own feces(!), many would've been disgusted and rightfully so. Yet, if my work sold extremely well, it would be considered Art of the Most High!

It's all about the money, and we utilize any kinds of subterfuges/artifices to gain the precious pecuniae.    

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By GunslingerPanda

So what you're basically asking is "how do you respond to Call Of Duty?

I don't care.

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoMate

I had the same experience felt like I got screwed over 60 bucks, but got over it thanks to vanquish! 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By crusader8463
@Vodun said:
" @crusader8463: So it's not you who has the terrible taste then? Because you're obviously always right? "
When it comes to the games I like to play ya I am.
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lautaro
@obiwan said:

" I hated FF13. But nothing could stop fanboys of getting his reach on that game. "

Calling people who like the game fanboys automatically shows that you are pretty annoyed.  
In regards to the topic I wouldn't be annoyed if a game that isn't for me sold well. For example I acknowledge that COD is extremely popular for a reason and that those games just aren't for me.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Azteck
@Sweep said:
" Fake your own death?  "
This seems like the most reasonable thing to do.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
@Sweep said:
"Fake your own death?   I dunno, people can like what they want, that doesn't mean you have to do anything about it. There is no need to feel outcasted just because your own opinion is in the minority. Take pride in disassociating yourself from products which you consider to be terrible :D "

Why fake it? Suicide is obviously the only solution to this problem.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vodun
@crusader8463 said: 
When it comes to the games I like to play ya I am. "
Well, then you worded yourself poorly in your original post, because it read as if you were right and everyone else was wrong as to if a game was good or not.
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ramone

Or you could just stop whining? Call of Duty is a well produced game and is very popular for obvious reasons. Stop acting so suprised.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By MEATBALL

It's the internet, so I'd hate on it like crazy, soon more people will join my cause and before you know it it'll be cool to hate on it. Problem solved.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sgjackson

Doesn't bother me. I'm more than happy to say that some games are ridiculously well constructed but don't do it for me.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@Azteck said:
" @Sweep said:
This seems like the most reasonable thing to do. "
But you would still be in this world.  You have literally solved nothing, except maybe a change of public identity.  At least with suicide you could be done with all of it.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HaltIamReptar said:
" @Azteck said:
" @Sweep said:
But you would still be in this world.  You have literally solved nothing, except maybe a change of public identity.  At least with suicide you could be done with all of it. "
You have solved everything.
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sameeeeam

I'd be happy for the developers and all the people who enjoyed the game, and move on to play things I like as well. At least that's what I hope I'd do.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:
" @Azteck said:
" @Sweep said:
But you would still be in this world.  You have literally solved nothing, except maybe a change of public identity.  At least with suicide you could be done with all of it. "
You have solved everything. "
I know.  I wouldn't have posted if I didn't.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

I wouldn't care, and just go on playing other games I do like.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zeforgotten

I would move on with my life instead of sitting around whining about people liking a game I don't like. 
Every single person has different opinions on different subjects and somehow I can live with that, I know it's weird coming from a Giantbomb users. But it's true

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#44  Edited By borgmaster

I would probably make something like this: 

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By VierasTalo

I'd be rather joyous that a game sells a billion copies. It'd be quite smashing for the industry overall. I'd dislike it, but so what? If something gave a huge boost to retail sales like that, I wouldn't mind in any way.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By yinstarrunner

Man, the giantbomb community is boring.  Do you guys have any opinions at all?

"I wouldn't mind, if other people are enjoying it then it's just not for me."

BORING.  This is the fucking INTERNET, there's no need to restrain your opinion.  Let it out, that's how interesting discussions start.  Dammit.

oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By oysteinBrenne

fallout 3  
i its like oblivion but not as good and fun 

dead space 1 and 2  
i didnt like dead space 1 and dead space 2 looks very boring to me only quick look and tnt i have not been abel to finish is dead space 2 

wow too casual and looks and feels outdated  

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By Video_Game_King

That pretty much happened with Devil Survivor.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I would probably not care. 

It would probably get annoying after a while though I suppose.