Alot of giant bomb videos now in HD?

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By smallville123

As a subscriber I feel like this year there was less of a reason to renew my subscription. No more regular happy hours and the new exclusive content hasn't been as good. Now YouTube vidoes are being uploaded in HD. I notice when I log out how bad the ads have gotten for non subscribers as well. I like supporting the sites but i feel like the value isn't quite there anymore. How do you guys feel about it?

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

Completely fine about it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Didn't they explain in one of the radio shows that YouTube's HD doesn't mean shit? Hell, this was HD at one point, apparently.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeeGee

Totally cool with it.

Especially with Happy Hours. I mean, if you think that a four hour long Brad-a-thon of him trying to get that achivement is worse then a ten to fifteen minute segment on the Happy Hour that is sometimes only vaguely related to video games ... well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dany

I am OK with it. I like no ads, video RSS and the mobible app. Also video downloading.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By smallville123

@Dany said:

I am OK with it. I like no ads, video RSS and the mobible app. Also video downloading.

Ya I love the mobile sites for sure. Im sure im making muchadoo about nothing.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By wefwefasdf

I think Giant Bomb is in a much better place than it was earlier this year. All the premium content is so much better than what it used to be and withholding HD videos when they are being uploaded to YouTube would have been silly.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By benpicko

I like it, and actually watch the YouTube version, because YouTube's player isn't as terrible as Giant Bomb's.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dany

@benpicko said:

I like it, and actually watch the YouTube version, because YouTube's player isn't as terrible as Giant Bomb's.

Huh? How? I like giantbomb's player.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

I'd rather loose you as a subscriber than have all of our non-subscribed members have to watch everything in youtube's shitty 360p

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By smallville123

@TooWalrus said:

I'd rather loose you as a subscriber than have all of our non-subscribed members have to watch everything in youtube's shitty 360p

Uh wow dude I say something negative and you tell me to basically fuck off?? Nice. We pay 50 bucks a year for exclusive features. If things start not being exclusive the value goes down is all i'm saying. I have been a subscriber since the beginning and probably always will be because I love these sites and the mobile sites and premium content is good enough for now.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus

@Smallville123: I told you to fuck off? Non-subscribers can use the forums too, man (or should that also be subscriber exclusive?). Anyway, those horrible 360p videos made our lovely site look TERRIBLE to new users. All I meant was that if the only price we pay to allow everyone 720p videos is that we lose your $50, I'm totally cool with that (and apparently the staff are too).

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iamjohn

@Dany said:

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Smallville123 said:

As a subscriber I feel like this year there was less of a reason to renew my subscription. No more regular happy hours and the new exclusive content hasn't been as good. Now YouTube vidoes are being uploaded in HD. I notice when I log out how bad the ads have gotten for non subscribers as well. I like supporting the sites but i feel like the value isn't quite there anymore. How do you guys feel about it?

I think it as done to Counter all the thumbs down they where getting on youtube. 
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Barrock

@Video_Game_King said:

Didn't they explain in one of the radio shows that YouTube's HD doesn't mean shit? Hell, this was HD at one point, apparently.

What did you just link me to?

Anyway, I don't pay $50 a year for HD videos. I pay $50 a year because this site is fucking awesome.

paulm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By paulm

what @Barrock said exactly, even about the link.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bigsmoke77
@Smallville123:  Youtube might have "720" but it has horrible compassion and thus lesser quality than the flow player that giant bomb uses. Watch the previous WM radio show.
benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By benpicko

@Dany said:

@benpicko said:

Huh? How? I like giantbomb's player.

It freezes all the time and doesn't look very nice, imo.

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RafaelMei

@benpicko: I used to have a lot of trouble with the WM player, and solved it by changing my DNS (I was using OpenDNS and changed for my ISP's). Perhaps that can help you as well.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By smallville123

@bigsmoke77 said:

@Smallville123: Youtube might have "720" but it has horrible compassion and thus lesser quality than the flow player that giant bomb uses. Watch the previous WM radio show.

After posting this I listened and your right YouTube does have BAD compression so its still a good value for us.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did I read your first post right? Did you think the weekly Happy Hour was better than all the new content we've been seeing? I'm eagerly awaiting a new Random PC Game, Jeff's Jar-Time is insightful and funny, Breaking Brad can go a little long - but it's interesting watching him chase achievements, the random live-stream parties have been great, the Load Our Last Saves have been really fun (though we're about due for another,) and the radio show is downright awesome.

In my opinion, that's much better than the 30 minutes a week of Giant Bomb and Tested segments that were sometimes alright.

I also follow Tested, and them live streaming the podcast is really cool and Will started a Jar-Time esque livestream last night which shows real potential.

With that content alone, I feel like my subscription is justified. Plus now I can take advantage of YouTube playlists and not get it in overly-compressed 360p. Plus new people seeing the site's content aren't treated to poor quality videos. So I think everyone wins.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I'm happy that free users have access to HD videos now, even if it is YouTube.

I wish free users got everything. Yeah, I said it. What bitch?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Smallville123 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Uh wow dude I say something negative and you tell me to basically fuck off?? Nice.

Welcome to the internet.

Now for the topic at hand. I don't care. HD is such a standard these days that it being an exclusive feature is just stupid. They provide plenty of awesome exclusive content.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

The staff and premium members alike decided that having YouTube videos in HD was better overall for Whiskey Media and its users. Premium members still have plenty and will be getting more.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Marz

nanananana i'm watching your HD videos free :P

but seriously... youtube videos reconverts the bitrate which is lower quality than what you'll get downloading from Giantbomb, so chillax.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vexxan

It great to have all videos available on YouTube in HD, I vastly prefer YouTube's player to Giant Bombs.

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Amilmitt

I'm actually happy now that they have found a good ad partner. everything has been region specific and non-intrusive.

and its only a banner on the right and a small one on the top.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By smallville123

Actually with my tv getting a firmware update with youtube integration its pretty cool to get most stuff (besides subscriber stuff) to my big tv directly.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dany

Also, subscriber videos are totally rad and being able to wake up and have all the videos downloaded via rss to itunes is marvelous.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By smallville123

@Dany said:

Also, subscriber videos are totally rad and being able to wake up and have all the videos downloaded via rss to itunes is marvelous.

I have to try that for videos. I did that for radio dave shows because its not on iTunes and requires the whiskey login.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dany

@Smallville123: yeah, just use your login and it downloads.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By smallville123

@Dany said:

@Smallville123: yeah, just use your login and it downloads.

Then from there i can use ps3 media server....hmmm actually a cool way to get it on the big tv. Thanks duder!