Am I a member of a dying breed? (blog post)

• 61 results
Avatar image for generalmojo_786
GeneralMojo_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By GeneralMojo_786

PC gaming is dying out my freind, and no you are not the only one, their are still many loyal fans to PC's.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Diamond
@thecleric said:
And I can't wait for that to happen so I can say "OH what hapepened to 'enjoy your uncomfortable sitting playing PC while I relax on the couch to play my console' argument?"
Which is why I don't want it to happen, and why it probably won't happen.  UT3 on PS3 had mouse+KB support, and yea...
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By penguindust
@Diamond said:
" ...The general rule though is everything changes and nothing lasts forever.  The state of the Japanese games industry is also a joke compared to what it used to be.  Things will keep changing and changing.  I'm just worried that in 20 years there may not be a sector of the gaming market for enthusiasts at all. "
That's a bleak thought.  Spot on analysis, but bleak just the same. 
coolfurby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By coolfurby

No.
Next question.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#55  Edited By sjschmidt93

Never played Quake so I don't feel like I should comment on here. 

Look at that shit. Look at the amount of skill and coordination it requires! When you pulled this off you felt godlike!. This is gone.     

I can relate to this though, as Mega Man is probably my favorite gaming franchise ever. I play all of the good MM games at least once a year (1-6, X-X6). I'm hoping MM10 will come out soon. MM9 did great sales-wise so I don't see why it won't happen.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By 71Ranchero
@GeneralMojo_786 said:
" PC gaming is dying out my freind, and no you are not the only one, their are still many loyal fans to PC's. "
Im so tired of people talking out there ass. The number one game in the world is a pc game and has been for 5 years. Pc gaming GROWING, just not the same as it was 10 years ago.  

Go back to your Yugio games.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Hamst3r
@Diamond said:

" @Tahnit said:

they should just make a console with a keypad and a mouse. It would be the greatest console of all time lol.
My friend was saying that the other day I disagreed.  I want things to have their places.  You want a fast paced game?  Good.  You want a deep simulation?  Here you go.  You want classic console style interface?  Here.  You want lots of options and moddability?  Take this.  

Part of the problem is the merging of all these factors into a lowest common denominatorEvery game seems to have to appeal to as many people as possible, and gamers seem to focus on a few big name titles more than I remember in the past.  People buy their Blizzard titles, their Call of Duty, their Bioware, their Madden, Halo, GTA and they never look at the other stuff.  It's that sort of stuff that's keeping old school gamers from getting more of what they used to like. "

Italicized text = Things having their places would be great if things weren't merging. You want a fast paced game? Too bad, doesn't work well with a gamepad. You want a deep simulation? Sorry, not financially viable. You want lots of options and moddability? Well, you're in the minority. Nobody wants that shit. (unless of course, we can get it to work reasonably well with a gamepad, then it'll be a shining beacon of innovation and everyone will want it; e.g., Little Big Planet)  :P

I'd love nothing more than PC and consoles to "have their places" but what the industry is trying to do is cram everything onto the console and simply abandon anything "too PC" in them. Which is of course, what you covered in the second half of your post.

Bolded text = Yes. That's exactly what's happening and what PC gamers are upset about. That's the problem, yet when the problem is brought up anyone on the PC side is called an elitist. It's not elitist to notice the performance and control differences between a sports car and an economy car, yet apparently it is when it comes to gaming systems.

Anyways, I'm not really remarking on the topic but just rambling at your rambling. :)

OH, actually, I do have a remark on the "mouse and keyboard on consoles" thing - No, don't do it, instead just get cross-compatibility working so that the PC crowd and console crowd occupy the same games. The more I think about it, the greater the idea sounds. Yeah, it'll be unbalanced as fuck, which just makes it all the more appealing to me. if only Serious Sam HD were to be the game to do it. Just imagine the glory of SSHD MP: gamepads vs. mouse and keyboard. It sounds like a fight the systems NEED to have. :P
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By vidiot

There are technical aspects, the inclusion and flow of user created content that should not be tossed aside. With this I will agree with you, the closed networks being silently implemented are something I fear for in regards to the future of PC gaming, not just for creative content but for future software support. 

As for the actual games themselves becoming not as complicated, this is not a concept that is specifically relegated to your platform. 
Case in point for PC gaming would be the comparisons between System Shock and BioShock, but even main entries in console franchises have shown a more tolerant, and accessible tone in regards to inviting players into their game worlds. For better or worse, this is simply a natural progression of gameplay mechanic evolution, and has been in flux since the beginning of gaming.  

The rest of your argument seems very narrow minded. Why on earth are you comparing Modern Warfare to Quake? This seems more like fanboy speak. Your letting your personal niche interests, override arguments against PC gaming in general. Example: I enjoy turn-based RPG's, but I don't compare the battle mechanics between something like early Final Fantasy and Tales of Vesperia, and claim that JRPG's are dead, solely because specific battle mechanics are not quite popular anymore. 

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

It's interesting that you bring up Quake 3, as it turned ten years old yesterday. I absolutely agree that these games have a place. As consoles become more popular, I really wish they would simply add full-blown keyboard and mouse support to every game. It can't really be that hard, can it?

The PC is absolutely not dying, though. Dragon Age, arguably the biggest RPG release this year, is primarily a PC game. I tried playing it on the 360 (hurray for GameFly, saved me money) and was appalled. Then I bought it on Steam and I'm in love with it.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By thatfrood

The pc's in a transition phase right now. I expect some really great things in its future.
Games on the pc can hit niches whereas console games generally need wider appeal. Right now the pc is still figuring that out. But you can already see games that go for a more artistic look, to games with more retro feel, to hyper realistic shooters...
It's gonna be a beautiful thing soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Heh, PC games have been just on the brink of death for the past decade if you pay attention to the internet. What people don't understand is that the demand for PC games isn't going away. It's just growing more slowly than console games. It's not like there are fewer PC gamers than there were when Quake 3 was released. Unfortunately, as the cost of development increases (and it does), it becomes less viable for the really big companies to concentrate on the PC market. I agree with ThatFrood, though, and I don't think that's necessary a bad thing. I think the PC is a great platform for fresh companies with fresh ideas.

To the OP: Have you tried out Warsow? It's built on the Quake engine. If you haven't tried it it may be up your alley.