And I thought Patrick hate died down

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By zombie2011

@Irvandus said:

I remember back when everyone hated Brad for no reason. Oh well, guess Patrick will finally catch a break when someone else joins the GB crew.

When was this? I've been on GB since the start and Brad never used to get hated on, people would get mad at his continuous dying in games, but then that just turned into a joke.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@medacris said:

I don't have anything resembling hate for any of the Bombcrew. I think they all seem like pretty cool, chill guys, and I don't think there's ever been a game really worth starting shitstorms about, although there were a couple of games this year whose developers I disagreed vehemently with over dumb things they said (Phil Fish's whole "Japan can't make good games" diatribe and the Dishonored devs calling silent protagonists a stupid idea). However, this doesn't reflect on the games themselves, and it would be stupid to hate them/the people who like them or judge them on the basis of their devs' comments. I thought Patrick's Mass Effect = LoTR comparison was pretty apt.

I generally take internet comments with a grain of salt. Some are deadly serious morons, and some are just trolls trying to start shit with total strangers. Best to ignore them unless they say something specific that's worth challenging.

I'm not sure if your all too serious or not since Corvo was silent from what I've played of the game and it was Brad that made the comparison.

@TrafalgarLaw said:

Brad was actually hated? How can anyone hate Brad?

Is there a golden rule you should like every giantbomb member ever...? I like Patrick's articles...sometimes...and I also liked him playing as a scientist.

It's more that when ever people shit talk the crew it gets personal or offensive.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By JazGalaxy

I'm one of the people who doesn't much care for patrick's views on games, although I've never said anything mean about him.

But, I do hope all the negative reactions affect the way he expresses his opinions on games. I used to love the podcast Buzz Out Loud because Tom Merritt and Molly Wood were always incredibly sensitive to the fact that, if they didn't know something for SURE, they were going to get a bajillion negative feedback messages correcting them or voicing contrasting opinions.

Sure opinions are useless and uncountable, but Patrick frequently seems to say things that are completely untrue, unfounded, or 100% his opinion stated as fact. When you're a public personality and your voice carries weight in the industry, people are going to get incredibly vocal about their response to those comments.

For instance, I want to jump out of my skin almost any time he talks about the walking dead. I disagree with almost everything he says 100% and can pull out sources as to why he's wrong.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By Hunter5024

I think it's totally okay to hate anyone, but they should be nicer about their hatred. Just because you hate Patrick doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By JBG4

I really enjoy his point of view and I find myself trying more obscure games based on his recommendations. He's been with the site for a while now so you would think people would just accept it. I personally really like his insights.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By GreggD

@JazGalaxy said:

I'm one of the people who doesn't much care for patrick's views on games, although I've never said anything mean about him.

But, I do hope all the negative reactions affect the way he expresses his opinions on games. I used to love the podcast Buzz Out Loud because Tom Merritt and Molly Wood were always incredibly sensitive to the fact that, if they didn't know something for SURE, they were going to get a bajillion negative feedback messages correcting them or voicing contrasting opinions.

Sure opinions are useless and uncountable, but Patrick frequently seems to say things that are completely untrue, unfounded, or 100% his opinion stated as fact. When you're a public personality and your voice carries weight in the industry, people are going to get incredibly vocal about their response to those comments.

For instance, I want to jump out of my skin almost any time he talks about the walking dead. I disagree with almost everything he says 100% and can pull out sources as to why he's wrong.

Man, you summed it up really well.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Getz

@thabigred: While funny, I find just using an extension that completely removes them to be more effective.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Bocam

Patrick gave 999 a chance, that makes him okay in my book.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well clearly this means that no criticism can ever be listened to and obviously calls for the entire community to be treated with contempt.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BlastProcessing

@familyphotoshoot said:

Patrick is an adult and doesn't need you to defend him on the Internet.

Stop posting about this shit.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By J12088

When are people going to accept hes just not liked? Can't force people to like him and theres so many people that dislike him they can't ALL be wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@J12088 said:

When are people going to accept hes just not liked? Can't force people to like him and theres so many people that dislike him they can't ALL be wrong.

The only frustrating thing at this point is the fact that a loud minority of people get used as the reason why any criticism of anything directed at Giant Bomb is immediately invalid. People make a bigger deal about "Patrick-hate" than the amount of what "hate" actually exists, and then infuriatingly use it to reflexively dismiss anything critical of him.
devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By devitiffany

I don't mind Patrick, we have completely opposite tastes, but he seems like a nice guy. He does a lot of good journalist work for the site, more than I can say for most other video game websites. Right now, the only thing that's been annoying me lately is this weird tirade he's been going on about how much he hates stealth games. It's cool he liked a couple of games that had stealth elements in it, but constantly saying how an entire genre is shit gets old after awhile. I'm sure a part of that just hits a nerve because I think Metal Gear Solid is one of the best video game series of all time, so it's a double whammy, but even removed from that it feels a bit excessive.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By VoshiNova

I've never actually posted a comment on youtube....until now.

I hate this so much its alsk dfjasio;agni; r 523

qfg 03

a24y 03

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By J12088

Like seriously dudes got so much hate on his youtube video. More dislikes than likes and as much as people on here brush it off as LOL YOUTUBE COMMENTS I don't think you can do that. Seen as you can't speak out about anyone on here without the defence force jumping to there aid i suspect this is people venting elsewhere instead. Giantbombs not popular enough on youtube to get a ton of randoms come in hating most of the comments I'd bet are from site users.

Deal with it.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By napalm

The whole idea of this topic comes up like, way more than it actually should.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By deathstriker666

@Andorski said:

I'm sure Patrick gets by knowing that his job is about playing video games while everyone on Youtube has a life so empty of any importance that they spend time posting comments on Youtube.

Yes, a great, fulfilling career to aspire to. Playing video games, not like those hacks who report on the sufferings of the poor, corrupt politicians, exploitative labor practices, and military conflicts. Nope, only REAL journalism happens in the tabloid-like games media. Thankfully, Patrick actually isn't some condescending prick who thinks he's so much better than the lowly Internet pleb because he plays video games for a living.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that no one is going to read this but here goes,

I'm an 11 year old aspiring video game making guy from Kenya

My influences are Dennis Dyack, Phillip J. Fish and Pink Floyd

I really would appreciate anybody even if it's only one person checking out my website (NO ILLUMINATI)

just go to www.cocainemountain.com

zodstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By zodstein

I've never been a fan of his, I find his whole politicizing of the industry distasteful. But, whatever floats your boat. Some people like the dramatizing of shit that doesn't really matter in the end. That being said, I wouldn't go on Youtube and call him a nasty name, that isn't productive at all.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Marokai said:

Well clearly this means that no criticism can ever be listened to and obviously calls for the entire community to be treated with contempt.

This is more frustrating. When people talk about the crew like shit then people go "Oh no, no, no, it's just criticism. What? I'm not allowed to criticize." Don't act like an asshole about it if criticism was what you really gave a shit about.

There are people who are hating on him because they don't like the games he picked on his personal list. They go into personal insults using anti-semitic and homophobic language. And then if there actually is criticism it's usually peppered in "fuck yous" or something. "He's a shitty fucking writer and he's so goddamn annoying." How about giving advice "Patrick, you need to work on your excitement, you seem to talk over the rest of the gang a bit too much." Because clearly he isn't going to leave since the crew get along well with him and enough people in the community like him. Either deal with it or voice your concerns in a more mature manner because if you're gonna go the insults route then you will either be ignored or shat upon. And you now what? You would have deserved it.

zodstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By zodstein

@deathstriker666: The nail was hit on the head with that comment.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kerse

@BlastProcessing said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011: Around 2009 / early 2010 (When I really started paying attention to the community) a lot of people seemed to not respect Brad's opinions compared to the rest of the crew. Also just a lot whining about him being the least entertaining on the bombcast. I could be misremembering but my initial understanding of the GB community at the time was that Brad was the least favorite child.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By DystopiaX

@BlastProcessing said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

and

@Marokai said:

@J12088 said:

The only frustrating thing at this point is the fact that a loud minority of people get used as the reason why any criticism of anything directed at Giant Bomb is immediately invalid. People make a bigger deal about "Patrick-hate" than the amount of what "hate" actually exists, and then infuriatingly use it to reflexively dismiss anything critical of him.
EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By EXTomar

Patrick gets way much more flak than is deserved.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76  Edited By spankingaddict

Patrick is a living legend .

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Andorski

@deathstriker666 said:

@Andorski said:

I'm sure Patrick gets by knowing that his job is about playing video games while everyone on Youtube has a life so empty of any importance that they spend time posting comments on Youtube.

Yes, a great, fulfilling career to aspire to. Playing video games, not like those hacks who report on the sufferings of the poor, corrupt politicians, exploitative labor practices, and military conflicts. Nope, only REAL journalism happens in the tabloid-like games media. Thankfully, Patrick actually isn't some condescending prick who thinks he's so much better than the lowly Internet pleb because he plays video games for a living.

The insecurity is strong in this one!

Patrick has a job that he likes to do. It's as simple as that. Surely you understand the satisfaction of doing something you enjoy. Judging by your bad-ass username (666?! The devil's number!! How was that name not taken?!), you probably enjoy your life of striking down those who deserve the cold dish of death. Patrick is just doing his own personal "death striking," ya know?

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78  Edited By BigBoss1911

Why are people complaining about someone's opinion? Fucking stupid.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By OneManX

Oh the jimmies are being rustled so hard

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@BigBoss1911

Why are people complaining about someone's opinion? Fucking stupid.

Because they REALLY need you to know how much they hate Patrick, for whatever reason. And some of them went to the length of saying they were glad his dad died because he wasn't on the podcast.
triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#81  Edited By triple07

@thabigred said:

I recommend people use this. It makes being on youtube a much better experience.

Holy crap that is so much better. Youtube comments are the worst things in the world.

The Patrick hate has always baffled me but then again so does most hate on the internet.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By JazGalaxy

@DeviTiffany said:

I don't mind Patrick, we have completely opposite tastes, but he seems like a nice guy. He does a lot of good journalist work for the site, more than I can say for most other video game websites. Right now, the only thing that's been annoying me lately is this weird tirade he's been going on about how much he hates stealth games. It's cool he liked a couple of games that had stealth elements in it, but constantly saying how an entire genre is shit gets old after awhile. I'm sure a part of that just hits a nerve because I think Metal Gear Solid is one of the best video game series of all time, so it's a double whammy, but even removed from that it feels a bit excessive.

Yeah, all of his hated of the entire stealth genre comes from his not liking Metal Gear Solid and apparently Splinter Cell, a game whose gameplay was garbage when it came out for the original xbox.

I don't even think he really hates stealth games so much as he is just a huge bandwagoner and as soon as someone gives him a little bit of traction on one of his opinions he's all "yeah, F stealth games, amirite? F them and the horse they came in on! Right guys!?"

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By mazik765

@thabigred said:

I recommend people use this. It makes being on youtube a much better experience.

Thank you for showing me this. You, sir, are hero of the day.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#84  Edited By me3639

Vent their frustration over what? People, please take some time to get a life. The ultimate sadness is if he dropped in some "Persona" love he would have been hailed a hero. F)$kin losers.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Yummylee said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@ripelivejam said:

comments here are only the slightest shade of better. i'm surprised at the immaturity here sometimes, especially with subscribers.

inb4lock

Dude cmon, this community at its worst barely approaches youtube. Once people around here start throwing around racist, sexist, homophobic slurs with impunity, then maybe you'll have a point. That place is a cesspool.

Frankly the most annoying thing I find about the forums are the users who throw hyperbole around about how apparently awful our forums are. I'm not singling out ripelivejam or anything, though, as the worst are people with like 5000+ posts who seemingly just look for reasons to completely piss all over the very forums they keep posting in.

Obviously GB's forums aren't perfect, but when compared to the majority out there, I would say we've got ourselves a Haven by comparison.

Word. Even during the cluster#%$ those two hashtag threads turned into, it was still relatively polite compared to the rest of the internet.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Sanity

I really am getting tired of this, hes been on this site for awhile now and add lots of meaningful content. Its as simple as not coming here if you have some weird thing against him.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#87  Edited By MistaSparkle

I'm not trying to defend Patrick here, but I am 100% against ganging up on someone to hurt their feelings. If you do that, grow up, seriously. You don't have to watch their videos, you choose to. And especially, if you know you don't like a certain member why would you watch their personal top 10 list? To shit on them for what they like? Fuck you.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Milkman

@J12088 said:

Yeah, they can. And they are.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Feanor

@dudy80: Why is it such a weird thing to dislike somebody in the media? We all have our favorite talking heads, and we all have people that we can't stand to watch.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Milkman

@deathstriker666 said:

@Andorski said:

You seem mad. May I offer you this:

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Sanity

@Feanor said:

@dudy80: Why is it such a weird thing to dislike somebody in the media? We all have our favorite talking heads, and we all have people that we can't stand to watch.

I put that the wrong way, its fine to disagree with a point of view or a way he presents something, but then theres the crazy people who call him out every quicklook hes in, watch for spelling mistakes in everything he dose and in general put him down for the sake of it. I dont always agree with his taste or the way he presents things but i respect him and thats the big difference.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MrCandleguy

I love Patrick...

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Feanor

@dudy80: I agree, people tend to take it to far, and sometimes to a personal level. I don't like Patrick watching Patrick Quick Looks, and I don't like reading his news articles. So I don't and leave it at that. But I must say, he has been excellent in the recent GOTY videos.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#94  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@familyphotoshoot said:

I've gotten to this point whenever we decide that we should talk about Patrick or talk about people not liking Patrick. Dude can fight his own fights, just as he can take valid criticism. We don't need to make a thread every time someone on an internet forum says something mean about someone else.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Sanity

@ArbitraryWater said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

I've gotten to this point whenever we decide that we should talk about Patrick or talk about people not liking Patrick. Dude can fight his own fights, just as he can take valid criticism. We don't need to make a thread every time someone on an internet forum says something mean about someone else.

I agree to a point but the amount of animosity towards him has gotten a bit ridiculous at times so its no surprise it keeps coming up.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I think Patrick has and always will be a great addition to the site and I also love his articles.

With that said, putting Slender in your top 10 list is a bad decision.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#97  Edited By C0V3RT

You're telling me the internet acts as a mean for people to anonymously say things that they'd never say in person with the hope of getting a reaction?

I'm guessing Patrick, and other internet "personalities," pay little mind to the shit they receive and just chalk it up to some kid trying to be an keyboard tough guy. I'm sure there's some stuff that gets under their skin, but most of it seems to just come with the job of being part of the enthusiast press.

As for the people making the awful comments... it seems that once you hit a certain age, you realize how dumb it is and move on.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MikeJFlick

I don't see the problem, call me heartless if you want, but people have their own opinions, just like patrick has a opinion on goty, people have opinions on who they like, I personally hate Christian Bale and down vote any video on youtube hes in.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Scotto

There are things about Patrick that can be legitimately annoying, but the hard on some people have for shitting on everything the guy does, are on another planet altogether. And frankly, with the exception of Vinny (who is perfect), they ALL have occasional things that annoy me.

The big thing about Patrick, and my only major problem with him, is how he talks over and interrupts people constantly during the podcast, and some of the videos. He also has a penchant for confidently talking complete nonsense sometimes, but guess what? THEY ALL DO.

Christ, their ongoing tirade about how Halo 4 and AC3 have the "same story", is essentially a product of them apparently not understanding what happened in the plot Halo 4. And that has not only been going on for weeks - now it's leaking into their awards discussions.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By JazGalaxy

@dudy80 said:

I really am getting tired of this, hes been on this site for awhile now and add lots of meaningful content. Its as simple as not coming here if you have some weird thing against him.

I don't understand why people think the dislike of patrick's personality has something to do with his being "new",

I think it's hardly a "people don't like change" thing. People articulate what it is that they dislike about his personality and, more specifically, the way he expresses his opinions. It has nothing to do with his being new...