• 130 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

I remember back when everyone hated Brad for no reason. Oh well, guess Patrick will finally catch a break when someone else joins the GB crew.

When was this? I've been on GB since the start and Brad never used to get hated on, people would get mad at his continuous dying in games, but then that just turned into a joke.

#52 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4850 posts) -

@medacris said:

I don't have anything resembling hate for any of the Bombcrew. I think they all seem like pretty cool, chill guys, and I don't think there's ever been a game really worth starting shitstorms about, although there were a couple of games this year whose developers I disagreed vehemently with over dumb things they said (Phil Fish's whole "Japan can't make good games" diatribe and the Dishonored devs calling silent protagonists a stupid idea). However, this doesn't reflect on the games themselves, and it would be stupid to hate them/the people who like them or judge them on the basis of their devs' comments. I thought Patrick's Mass Effect = LoTR comparison was pretty apt.

I generally take internet comments with a grain of salt. Some are deadly serious morons, and some are just trolls trying to start shit with total strangers. Best to ignore them unless they say something specific that's worth challenging.

I'm not sure if your all too serious or not since Corvo was silent from what I've played of the game and it was Brad that made the comparison.

@TrafalgarLaw said:

Brad was actually hated? How can anyone hate Brad?

Is there a golden rule you should like every giantbomb member ever...? I like Patrick's articles...sometimes...and I also liked him playing as a scientist.

It's more that when ever people shit talk the crew it gets personal or offensive.

#53 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

I'm one of the people who doesn't much care for patrick's views on games, although I've never said anything mean about him.

But, I do hope all the negative reactions affect the way he expresses his opinions on games. I used to love the podcast Buzz Out Loud because Tom Merritt and Molly Wood were always incredibly sensitive to the fact that, if they didn't know something for SURE, they were going to get a bajillion negative feedback messages correcting them or voicing contrasting opinions.

Sure opinions are useless and uncountable, but Patrick frequently seems to say things that are completely untrue, unfounded, or 100% his opinion stated as fact. When you're a public personality and your voice carries weight in the industry, people are going to get incredibly vocal about their response to those comments.

For instance, I want to jump out of my skin almost any time he talks about the walking dead. I disagree with almost everything he says 100% and can pull out sources as to why he's wrong.

#54 Posted by Hunter5024 (5168 posts) -

I think it's totally okay to hate anyone, but they should be nicer about their hatred. Just because you hate Patrick doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.

#55 Posted by JBG4 (379 posts) -

I really enjoy his point of view and I find myself trying more obscure games based on his recommendations. He's been with the site for a while now so you would think people would just accept it. I personally really like his insights.

#56 Posted by GreggD (4442 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

I'm one of the people who doesn't much care for patrick's views on games, although I've never said anything mean about him.

But, I do hope all the negative reactions affect the way he expresses his opinions on games. I used to love the podcast Buzz Out Loud because Tom Merritt and Molly Wood were always incredibly sensitive to the fact that, if they didn't know something for SURE, they were going to get a bajillion negative feedback messages correcting them or voicing contrasting opinions.

Sure opinions are useless and uncountable, but Patrick frequently seems to say things that are completely untrue, unfounded, or 100% his opinion stated as fact. When you're a public personality and your voice carries weight in the industry, people are going to get incredibly vocal about their response to those comments.

For instance, I want to jump out of my skin almost any time he talks about the walking dead. I disagree with almost everything he says 100% and can pull out sources as to why he's wrong.

Man, you summed it up really well.

#57 Posted by Getz (2954 posts) -

@thabigred: While funny, I find just using an extension that completely removes them to be more effective.

#58 Posted by Bocam (3551 posts) -

Patrick gave 999 a chance, that makes him okay in my book.

#59 Posted by Marokai (2633 posts) -

Well clearly this means that no criticism can ever be listened to and obviously calls for the entire community to be treated with contempt.

#60 Posted by BlastProcessing (901 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

Patrick is an adult and doesn't need you to defend him on the Internet.

Stop posting about this shit.

#61 Posted by J12088 (430 posts) -

When are people going to accept hes just not liked? Can't force people to like him and theres so many people that dislike him they can't ALL be wrong.

#62 Posted by Marokai (2633 posts) -
@J12088 said:

When are people going to accept hes just not liked? Can't force people to like him and theres so many people that dislike him they can't ALL be wrong.

The only frustrating thing at this point is the fact that a loud minority of people get used as the reason why any criticism of anything directed at Giant Bomb is immediately invalid. People make a bigger deal about "Patrick-hate" than the amount of what "hate" actually exists, and then infuriatingly use it to reflexively dismiss anything critical of him.
#63 Posted by DeviTiffany (400 posts) -

I don't mind Patrick, we have completely opposite tastes, but he seems like a nice guy. He does a lot of good journalist work for the site, more than I can say for most other video game websites. Right now, the only thing that's been annoying me lately is this weird tirade he's been going on about how much he hates stealth games. It's cool he liked a couple of games that had stealth elements in it, but constantly saying how an entire genre is shit gets old after awhile. I'm sure a part of that just hits a nerve because I think Metal Gear Solid is one of the best video game series of all time, so it's a double whammy, but even removed from that it feels a bit excessive.

#64 Posted by VoshiNova (1594 posts) -

I've never actually posted a comment on youtube....until now.

I hate this so much its alsk dfjasio;agni; r 523

qfg 03

a24y 03

#65 Posted by J12088 (430 posts) -

Like seriously dudes got so much hate on his youtube video. More dislikes than likes and as much as people on here brush it off as LOL YOUTUBE COMMENTS I don't think you can do that. Seen as you can't speak out about anyone on here without the defence force jumping to there aid i suspect this is people venting elsewhere instead. Giantbombs not popular enough on youtube to get a ton of randoms come in hating most of the comments I'd bet are from site users.

Deal with it.

#66 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

The whole idea of this topic comes up like, way more than it actually should.

#67 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@Andorski said:

I'm sure Patrick gets by knowing that his job is about playing video games while everyone on Youtube has a life so empty of any importance that they spend time posting comments on Youtube.

Yes, a great, fulfilling career to aspire to. Playing video games, not like those hacks who report on the sufferings of the poor, corrupt politicians, exploitative labor practices, and military conflicts. Nope, only REAL journalism happens in the tabloid-like games media. Thankfully, Patrick actually isn't some condescending prick who thinks he's so much better than the lowly Internet pleb because he plays video games for a living.

#68 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

I know that no one is going to read this but here goes,

I'm an 11 year old aspiring video game making guy from Kenya

My influences are Dennis Dyack, Phillip J. Fish and Pink Floyd

I really would appreciate anybody even if it's only one person checking out my website (NO ILLUMINATI)

just go to www.cocainemountain.com

#69 Posted by zodstein (90 posts) -

I've never been a fan of his, I find his whole politicizing of the industry distasteful. But, whatever floats your boat. Some people like the dramatizing of shit that doesn't really matter in the end. That being said, I wouldn't go on Youtube and call him a nasty name, that isn't productive at all.

#70 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4850 posts) -

@Marokai said:

Well clearly this means that no criticism can ever be listened to and obviously calls for the entire community to be treated with contempt.

This is more frustrating. When people talk about the crew like shit then people go "Oh no, no, no, it's just criticism. What? I'm not allowed to criticize." Don't act like an asshole about it if criticism was what you really gave a shit about.

There are people who are hating on him because they don't like the games he picked on his personal list. They go into personal insults using anti-semitic and homophobic language. And then if there actually is criticism it's usually peppered in "fuck yous" or something. "He's a shitty fucking writer and he's so goddamn annoying." How about giving advice "Patrick, you need to work on your excitement, you seem to talk over the rest of the gang a bit too much." Because clearly he isn't going to leave since the crew get along well with him and enough people in the community like him. Either deal with it or voice your concerns in a more mature manner because if you're gonna go the insults route then you will either be ignored or shat upon. And you now what? You would have deserved it.

#71 Posted by zodstein (90 posts) -

@deathstriker666: The nail was hit on the head with that comment.

#72 Posted by kerse (2037 posts) -

@BlastProcessing said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

Patrick is an adult and doesn't need you to defend him on the Internet.

Stop posting about this shit.

#73 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

@zombie2011: Around 2009 / early 2010 (When I really started paying attention to the community) a lot of people seemed to not respect Brad's opinions compared to the rest of the crew. Also just a lot whining about him being the least entertaining on the bombcast. I could be misremembering but my initial understanding of the GB community at the time was that Brad was the least favorite child.

#74 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -

@BlastProcessing said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

Patrick is an adult and doesn't need you to defend him on the Internet.

Stop posting about this shit.

and

@Marokai said:

@J12088 said:

When are people going to accept hes just not liked? Can't force people to like him and theres so many people that dislike him they can't ALL be wrong.

The only frustrating thing at this point is the fact that a loud minority of people get used as the reason why any criticism of anything directed at Giant Bomb is immediately invalid. People make a bigger deal about "Patrick-hate" than the amount of what "hate" actually exists, and then infuriatingly use it to reflexively dismiss anything critical of him.
#75 Posted by EXTomar (4121 posts) -

Patrick gets way much more flak than is deserved.

#76 Posted by spankingaddict (2646 posts) -

Patrick is a living legend .

#77 Posted by Andorski (5107 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

@Andorski said:

I'm sure Patrick gets by knowing that his job is about playing video games while everyone on Youtube has a life so empty of any importance that they spend time posting comments on Youtube.

Yes, a great, fulfilling career to aspire to. Playing video games, not like those hacks who report on the sufferings of the poor, corrupt politicians, exploitative labor practices, and military conflicts. Nope, only REAL journalism happens in the tabloid-like games media. Thankfully, Patrick actually isn't some condescending prick who thinks he's so much better than the lowly Internet pleb because he plays video games for a living.

The insecurity is strong in this one!

Patrick has a job that he likes to do. It's as simple as that. Surely you understand the satisfaction of doing something you enjoy. Judging by your bad-ass username (666?! The devil's number!! How was that name not taken?!), you probably enjoy your life of striking down those who deserve the cold dish of death. Patrick is just doing his own personal "death striking," ya know?

#78 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2353 posts) -

Why are people complaining about someone's opinion? Fucking stupid.

#79 Posted by OneManX (1662 posts) -

Oh the jimmies are being rustled so hard

#80 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -
@BigBoss1911

Why are people complaining about someone's opinion? Fucking stupid.

Because they REALLY need you to know how much they hate Patrick, for whatever reason. And some of them went to the length of saying they were glad his dad died because he wasn't on the podcast.
#81 Posted by triple07 (1193 posts) -

@thabigred said:

I recommend people use this. It makes being on youtube a much better experience.

Holy crap that is so much better. Youtube comments are the worst things in the world.

The Patrick hate has always baffled me but then again so does most hate on the internet.

#82 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

@DeviTiffany said:

I don't mind Patrick, we have completely opposite tastes, but he seems like a nice guy. He does a lot of good journalist work for the site, more than I can say for most other video game websites. Right now, the only thing that's been annoying me lately is this weird tirade he's been going on about how much he hates stealth games. It's cool he liked a couple of games that had stealth elements in it, but constantly saying how an entire genre is shit gets old after awhile. I'm sure a part of that just hits a nerve because I think Metal Gear Solid is one of the best video game series of all time, so it's a double whammy, but even removed from that it feels a bit excessive.

Yeah, all of his hated of the entire stealth genre comes from his not liking Metal Gear Solid and apparently Splinter Cell, a game whose gameplay was garbage when it came out for the original xbox.

I don't even think he really hates stealth games so much as he is just a huge bandwagoner and as soon as someone gives him a little bit of traction on one of his opinions he's all "yeah, F stealth games, amirite? F them and the horse they came in on! Right guys!?"

#83 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

@thabigred said:

I recommend people use this. It makes being on youtube a much better experience.

Thank you for showing me this. You, sir, are hero of the day.

#84 Edited by me3639 (1607 posts) -

Vent their frustration over what? People, please take some time to get a life. The ultimate sadness is if he dropped in some "Persona" love he would have been hailed a hero. F)$kin losers.

#85 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@ripelivejam said:

comments here are only the slightest shade of better. i'm surprised at the immaturity here sometimes, especially with subscribers.

inb4lock

Dude cmon, this community at its worst barely approaches youtube. Once people around here start throwing around racist, sexist, homophobic slurs with impunity, then maybe you'll have a point. That place is a cesspool.

Frankly the most annoying thing I find about the forums are the users who throw hyperbole around about how apparently awful our forums are. I'm not singling out ripelivejam or anything, though, as the worst are people with like 5000+ posts who seemingly just look for reasons to completely piss all over the very forums they keep posting in.

Obviously GB's forums aren't perfect, but when compared to the majority out there, I would say we've got ourselves a Haven by comparison.

Word. Even during the cluster#%$ those two hashtag threads turned into, it was still relatively polite compared to the rest of the internet.

#86 Posted by Sanity (1852 posts) -

I really am getting tired of this, hes been on this site for awhile now and add lots of meaningful content. Its as simple as not coming here if you have some weird thing against him.

#87 Posted by MistaSparkle (2146 posts) -

I'm not trying to defend Patrick here, but I am 100% against ganging up on someone to hurt their feelings. If you do that, grow up, seriously. You don't have to watch their videos, you choose to. And especially, if you know you don't like a certain member why would you watch their personal top 10 list? To shit on them for what they like? Fuck you.

#88 Posted by Milkman (16225 posts) -

@J12088 said:

When are people going to accept hes just not liked? Can't force people to like him and theres so many people that dislike him they can't ALL be wrong.

Yeah, they can. And they are.

#89 Posted by Feanor (1377 posts) -

@dudy80: Why is it such a weird thing to dislike somebody in the media? We all have our favorite talking heads, and we all have people that we can't stand to watch.

#90 Posted by Milkman (16225 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

@Andorski said:

I'm sure Patrick gets by knowing that his job is about playing video games while everyone on Youtube has a life so empty of any importance that they spend time posting comments on Youtube.

Yes, a great, fulfilling career to aspire to. Playing video games, not like those hacks who report on the sufferings of the poor, corrupt politicians, exploitative labor practices, and military conflicts. Nope, only REAL journalism happens in the tabloid-like games media. Thankfully, Patrick actually isn't some condescending prick who thinks he's so much better than the lowly Internet pleb because he plays video games for a living.

You seem mad. May I offer you this:

#91 Edited by Sanity (1852 posts) -

@Feanor said:

@dudy80: Why is it such a weird thing to dislike somebody in the media? We all have our favorite talking heads, and we all have people that we can't stand to watch.

I put that the wrong way, its fine to disagree with a point of view or a way he presents something, but then theres the crazy people who call him out every quicklook hes in, watch for spelling mistakes in everything he dose and in general put him down for the sake of it. I dont always agree with his taste or the way he presents things but i respect him and thats the big difference.

#92 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -

I love Patrick...

#93 Posted by Feanor (1377 posts) -

@dudy80: I agree, people tend to take it to far, and sometimes to a personal level. I don't like Patrick watching Patrick Quick Looks, and I don't like reading his news articles. So I don't and leave it at that. But I must say, he has been excellent in the recent GOTY videos.

#94 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11001 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

Patrick is an adult and doesn't need you to defend him on the Internet.

Stop posting about this shit.

I've gotten to this point whenever we decide that we should talk about Patrick or talk about people not liking Patrick. Dude can fight his own fights, just as he can take valid criticism. We don't need to make a thread every time someone on an internet forum says something mean about someone else.

#95 Posted by Sanity (1852 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

Patrick is an adult and doesn't need you to defend him on the Internet.

Stop posting about this shit.

I've gotten to this point whenever we decide that we should talk about Patrick or talk about people not liking Patrick. Dude can fight his own fights, just as he can take valid criticism. We don't need to make a thread every time someone on an internet forum says something mean about someone else.

I agree to a point but the amount of animosity towards him has gotten a bit ridiculous at times so its no surprise it keeps coming up.

#96 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I think Patrick has and always will be a great addition to the site and I also love his articles.

With that said, putting Slender in your top 10 list is a bad decision.

#97 Posted by C0V3RT (1188 posts) -

You're telling me the internet acts as a mean for people to anonymously say things that they'd never say in person with the hope of getting a reaction?

I'm guessing Patrick, and other internet "personalities," pay little mind to the shit they receive and just chalk it up to some kid trying to be an keyboard tough guy. I'm sure there's some stuff that gets under their skin, but most of it seems to just come with the job of being part of the enthusiast press.

As for the people making the awful comments... it seems that once you hit a certain age, you realize how dumb it is and move on.

#98 Posted by MikeJFlick (424 posts) -

I don't see the problem, call me heartless if you want, but people have their own opinions, just like patrick has a opinion on goty, people have opinions on who they like, I personally hate Christian Bale and down vote any video on youtube hes in.

#99 Posted by Scotto (1113 posts) -

There are things about Patrick that can be legitimately annoying, but the hard on some people have for shitting on everything the guy does, are on another planet altogether. And frankly, with the exception of Vinny (who is perfect), they ALL have occasional things that annoy me.

The big thing about Patrick, and my only major problem with him, is how he talks over and interrupts people constantly during the podcast, and some of the videos. He also has a penchant for confidently talking complete nonsense sometimes, but guess what? THEY ALL DO.

Christ, their ongoing tirade about how Halo 4 and AC3 have the "same story", is essentially a product of them apparently not understanding what happened in the plot Halo 4. And that has not only been going on for weeks - now it's leaking into their awards discussions.

#100 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

I really am getting tired of this, hes been on this site for awhile now and add lots of meaningful content. Its as simple as not coming here if you have some weird thing against him.

I don't understand why people think the dislike of patrick's personality has something to do with his being "new",

I think it's hardly a "people don't like change" thing. People articulate what it is that they dislike about his personality and, more specifically, the way he expresses his opinions. It has nothing to do with his being new...