Announcing multiple sequels is a bit overboard.

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pissedoffthewitch

Announcing that games like fable will have more than one sequel is a bit much. Whats the point of buying Fable 3, if fable 4 is already being worked on.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By fr0br0

It's the same for movies. And usually by the second movie, the series is complete trash.

pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pissedoffthewitch

Yeah, like the new Terminator movies.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

If it's something story, or at least progression based, ie Fable or Mass Effect, then you'll want to go through the whole journey, not just see the final chapter. It's not like the actual improvements of visuals and mechanics will be so vast when they're planned so close together and within the same generation, and especially when the first titles are so well regarded already, which means they'll stick to their winning formula. All the next sequels offer is further progress and storyline, not a game that is vastly superior to the prequels. Now if they announced Counter-Strike 3 prior to Counter-Strike 2's release or something, yeah, I could see your point for such a situation, but not with games like these.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By sfighter21

Heh, I am SO looking forward to terminator...looks like it will be good.  Then again, looks are usually deceiving...

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yes, the new Terminator seems to be getting away from the old action formula and getting into being a war movie. The jury is out until the end of the month.

As for sequels they will be continued to be pumped out because they are cash cows. Names like Call of Duty, God of War, Halo and Mario will make money regardless of the quality of the actual game. People will pick it off the shelf long before something which they have never heard of. Especially in a down economy established franchises are the bread and butter of any video game developer.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By penguindust

I remember when Dreamworks announced that there was going to be a Shrek 4 and 5 at the same time.  Shrek 3 had just come out and "bam!" 4 and 5 are going to be in theaters whether you like this one or not.

Half the time, I think announcing that there will be more sequels too soon is a bad omen for the franchise overall.  Check out how successful Advent Rising and Too Human have been.  Anyone who says that they planned their game as a trilogy even before the first one is to market is a gigantic fool.

Fable 1 and 2 were successful games, so saying there will be a Fable 3 is unneccessary.  We all expect another.  I'd be more amazed to hear a developer say (and mean it) there won't be a sequel.  "We've had fun creating that world, but we're done with that idea and want to try something else"  Yeah, like that will ever happen.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By nexas
pissedoffthewitch said:
 Whats the point of buying Fable 3, if fable 4 is already being worked on. "
Because I want to play Fable 3.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus
pissedoffthewitch said:
"Yeah, like the new Terminator movies."
Actually, I've wanted a T4 ever since I saw T3. The whole series has been leading up to this movie... it should be good!
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has there ever been a developer, in the history of games, which said, and meant, they will not be making a sequal to a successful game?

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By StarFoxA
pissedoffthewitch said:
"Has there ever been a developer, in the history of games, which said, and meant, they will not be making a sequal to a successful game?"
Shigesato Itoi said he's never doing another Mother game.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
StarFoxA said:
"pissedoffthewitch said:
"Has there ever been a developer, in the history of games, which said, and meant, they will not be making a sequal to a successful game?"
Shigesato Itoi said he's never doing another Mother game."
But that's probably because the series wasn't that good :P. (And on a less controversial note, probably because the ending to Mother 3 sucked and the series has never been financially successful.)
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Treasure had a no sequels policy. They sure changed mind for at least some of the games as they made some quick GBA cash in sequels, and are now doing a (not merely cash-in) Sin & Punishment 2. But their original stuff are still the best, and they didn't do it to all.