Another rewarding GameStop experience!

Sillybigwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I went to gamestop yesterday to try and trade some games for GTA V on xbox, because I was sick in the hospital for a few weeks and i got laid off and am broke. I went with 8 games including halo 4, hitman absolution, bio shock infinite, black ops 2, forza horizon, need for speed most wanted (the new one) battlefield 3, assassin's creed 3, and a couple more. They wanted to give me $31! And that's with an extra 30% supposedly. I know this is like a common situation but is there anything else I can do short of selling bodily fluids.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than waiting for a price drop I don't know. Hope you get a new job soon =)

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By abendlaender

Sell them on eBay instead

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That many games, for just one. I never understand how people can I do that.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

because I was sick in the hospital for a few weeks and i got laid off

I'm not sure that's legal.

Also, trading games for just bucks suck a dick, so why not instead take advantage of their give 2 games + 10 bucks and get a new game?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Here's another great Game Stop experience.

Loading Video...

As an added bonus, you'll receive an example of the actual definition of "White Knighting" at no extra charge.

Yeah, go play a game and steal stuff, bro. Go steal stuff in a game... Um, just like everyone else there was planing to do?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you lowball on ebay I bet you could make enough to buy GTA with those games in a timely enough fashion.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

That's weird. I rarely get less than $10 per game on newer games. Traded in WWE13, Black Ops1, Skyrim, Xcom, and Saints Row 3 over the summer and got $8-20 per game. Thought they were getting better at it.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@spaceinsomniac: To be fair, both parties were behaving in an extremely cringe-inducing way. The store clerk may have been a bit too disrespectful and condecending, but the customer was being an entitled asshole. He tried to fulfill his pre-order with a personal business card, when the guidelines explicitly say that you can only claim your pre-order with a valid ID (national ID, passport, driving license, etc.). If you forgot your ID or simply don't want to follow the rules, well, duder, I'm so very sorry. Everything could have gone much better if he accepted that he was at fault in the first place, explained the situation and acted like the better man.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

That doesn't make sense. A friend of mine at work traded in three games and almost got GTA V for free. Two of them were Blops 2 and Forza Horizon. I can't remember the third. Both he and I trade a lot of games into Gamespot and have no complaints. With my power up card and some other incentives, I got almost $45 for Skyrim and Blops 2 a little over a month ago.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@joeyravn said:

@spaceinsomniac: To be fair, both parties were behaving in an extremely cringe-inducing way. The store clerk may have been a bit too disrespectful and condecending, but the customer was being an entitled asshole. He tried to fulfill his pre-order with a personal business card, when the guidelines explicitly say that you can only claim your pre-order with a valid ID (national ID, passport, driving license, etc.). If you forgot your ID or simply don't want to follow the rules, well, duder, I'm so very sorry. Everything could have gone much better if he accepted that he was at fault in the first place, explained the situation and acted like the better man.

I completely agree. But working in retail myself, I would have MUCH sooner refused to back down on my store's policy, rather than bend the rules and treat a customer like shit the entire time I was "helping" them.

And to the OP, these numbers don't sound right to me either. You might consider calling some other GameStop stores in the area, or maybe some in a neighboring state, and see if they offer you the same amount. Perhaps your store has different prices. If so, maybe try Best Buy or Amazon for a better deal.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I know this is like a common situation but is there anything else I can do short of selling bodily fluids.

sell the games on ebay/amazon/craigslist?

as though you even had to ask...

or you could just save up and wait til you have enough money.

Glad to help!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@claude said:

That doesn't make sense...

Hi Claude!

Anyway, I was thinking the same thing, so I pulled up the somewhat current Gamestop trade-in values thing I had bookmarked. Bioshock Infinite...$14! Halo 4 $5, Hitman: Absolution $4.50, AssCree 3 $6...I didn't go any further than that.

I know that Sillybigwillie is in a difficult position and every dollar counts, but man...I couldn't bring myself to get rid of games, even those I don't play that often, for less than ten percent of what I paid for them. Ouch!

@sillybigwillie, have you considered selling your games individually on Craigslist or its equivalent in your area? A couple of my friends do this with video games and all kinds of other stuff with great success. Hell I've been using Craigslist for the past couple of weeks to sell off some of my tie collection, it's free and works great if you're in the right area. I'm in San Francisco and everyone here uses it for everything.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@mb: Hey MB!

Even the games you mentioned come to $29.50 and that's not counting the others. With a 10% increase from being a power up member, it would be a little more. I usually only trade games in now for a preorder. You get additional % along with your 10%. That 29.50 could end up being almost 40 bucks just for the games you mentioned. Some of those games are notorious for losing value. Assassin's Creed can't hold value for nothing. And for some reason Absolution lost balance fast too. Now Blops 2 goes for few dimes more that's for sure. I bet Skyrim can still bring in some value if traded in properly.

Basically, you need to know how to work the system in your favor.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dark

@spaceinsomniac: Also if you back the company's policy up they generally will back you up in a complaint for adhering to the policies, doing the reverse can end up in termination.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: That's just kind of embarrassing for everyone, including the lady....

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By crusader8463

Go to a local trading site or ebay and you can probably sell these games for $10-$15 a pop. Cut out the middleman and sell directly to another person. It takes a bit more effort but you get way more money for it.

serverfull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Threating to give out your personal information to unknown group of people would be a violation and illegal in many states. Most stores will fire an employee that violates the trust of customer (dickish or not) by disminiating their information. Imagine what would have happened if the guy filming was given access to his business card and place it in the video notes and go to Reddit. The internet isn't shy about harrassing people from behind the computer and phone. How long would his company allow it to be a distract before he would be laid off?

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Istealdreams

That's funny, I traded in black ops 2 and injustice and got $40 in credit toward Grand Theft Auto.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give Amazon's trade in system a look. I've found that they generally offer a little more for games than you'd get in gamestop or the like.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Use Ebay or Craigslist and sell the games individually.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Amazon has always given me more money.