Any one else finding themselves selling their PS4/Xbox One?

• 92 results
Venekor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought them on day one and found myself not playing them at all, third party games I all play on PC, I was expecting great exclusives and so far I've not been interested in anything. We're coming up to two years now and most of the high profile games have just been flops. Bloodborne is the only one that has really been universally acclaimed and tbh I just don't think it is that good, I'm with Jeff I was expecting this complex unforgiving game, I found it rather easy and the combat was just mashing on attack and dodging..

I've literally only played them for about 10 hours since I got them in 2013 and I'm just selling them. The PS3 was a dog shit of a console but even the 360 had Gears of War a year after launch, that game was amazing and changed everything. Dreamcast, PS2, PS, N64, GC, Xbox all had amazing games within the first couple years of their life and even the Wii U had a handful of amazing titles by year 2 was out.

For me this has been THE worst generation so far and since my £400 750ti PC already out performs them, I don't see any reason for them to exist if they're not going to have any first party stuff. I cannot see anything coming out of Sony at this point, I don't think Naughty Dog make great controlling games, tbh I'm sick of cover based TPS any ways. Microsoft have Halo, Forza and Gears... like great I got bored of those the last gen, have you got anything new?

:\ I ended up just putting them on eBay, I'd rather have my money back.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you own a gaming PC, there is no reason to get a PS4 or Xbox One right now. Bloodborne is an excellent game, and I'm pretty jealous that I can't play it, but no game is worth buying an entire system for. Eventually I'd say that the PS4 will have a good library (I don't know, I've just always preferred the Sony exclusives), but right now there's nothing much (IF you have a gaming PC). It's very much worth getting a PS3 now in my opinion. Very solid library, and we'll be getting Persona 5 maybe this year (and perhaps some future SMT games, but I don't know how possible that is. Considering that the PS3 still has very much a large player base, especially in Japan, I can see Atlus continuing to put out games for the PS3).

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

...It's very much worth getting a PS3 now in my opinion. ...

But apparently the PS3 was " a dog shit of a console". You monster, recommending such a thing!

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wacomole:

At launch, sure. Do you want to know how much a PS3 cost at launch in Australia? $1000. Very difficult to make a positive case for that. Sony's image turn around during the last gen was actually kind of amazing. I bought my PS3 when the PS4 had just released, and it was very much worth it. Cheap price for the system and cheap quality games.

Mikey1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you were that much interested to buy both consoles, than there's a good chance you will eventually require one or both of them back in the future.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wacomole

@adequatelyprepared: I was just being facetious, highlighting a point in the OP. You really don't have to convince me.

I've bought every PlayStation pretty much at launch and (thanks to PS+) still find myself playing more games on my PS3 than on my PS4 or even my PC for that matter. Can't see myself ditching the PS4 anytime soon, though (not that I've ever sold any of my consoles or computers in the past).

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By stinger061

If you saw a reason to buy one/both consoles despite having a decent PC that reason must still exist. Obviously I have no insight to your particular situation but if you can afford to have 2 consoles plus a decent PC financial pressures can't be too significant so I can't see any reason to sell. Neither console is going to get less exclusives in the future so if they are what you bought them for there is no reason to sell.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of on the opposite, yet same side of the fence. I haven't seen anything released for the new consoles yet that makes me want to buy one. Except for maybe, uhh, that Insomniac game on the Xbone, but I'm in Korea and the Xbone is a terrible proposition here, and Bloodborne on the PS4, but I still haven't even started Dark Souls 2 yet and fully intend to do so, so...

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had bought a launch console not as an early investment and without acknowledging there'd be a good lack of games worth the $60 for 18-24 months, then I too would have considered selling it.

esuing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get what you're saying. Like you, I have a decent PC running a GTX970, so choose to play on it when I can (unless reviews say its a bad port). Keyboard/mouse controls and mods are a great thing. Plus, I think Steam is the best online service.

Consequently, I hardly spend anytime playing my PS4 and Bone. I got the PS4 first because I considered it the better console, hardware-wise, and it seemed like the best place to play Destiny... a game I REALLY wanted and of course it didn't come to PC (damn you, Bungie!). I also knew that I wanted to play The Last of Us and eventually the PS4's library would be great. It's my first PS console so I'm one of those that welcomes remastered games on that system.

I got the XBone a few months later because I wanted the MCC, plus Sunset Overdrive was looking great and I knew I'd eventually want to play Halo 5 and the new Crackdown. I owned a 360 before it, so getting one eventually made sense.

Now they both collect dust and I think to myself that I should just sell them... but in time they'll both have games that would force me to rebuy them, so I'm just hanging onto them at this point. I don't need the money... still, right now they just feel like a waste. Just trying to be patient. It's harder now because the PC gaming scene has grown so much stronger in the past few years and more and more games that are exclusive to either PS4 or Xbone ALSO come to PC... very few true exclusives anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in this boat for sure, I even double dipped at one point but ended up returning the Xbox thanks to Costco being good about that. I'm still holding onto my PS4 but it's become a set top box more than a gaming console at this point. At this point I doubt I'm going to sell it, but I've lost my desire to continue investing in it, I've even dropped PS Plus at this point because I haven't even touched the games coming out on it.

I think it's that most PCs are decent enough that if you bought a medium end one around the end of the 360/PS3 era you still have something capable of running the big stuff close to the consoles anyways. Plus on top of that the smaller games have continued to be some of the most interesting and have extremely low requirements (Transistor or Binding of Isaac). I know at least one or two people who just got or are holding onto their 360s thanks to the used games being so cheap now.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I completely disagree. You'd have to pry my Xbox One from my cold, dead hands.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I use my PS4 for party games cause I can just move it out to the living room as well as download the games at a friend's PS4 if we all meet up over there. I've only bought one party game that was PC/PS4 on the PC and it was by accident... I was drunk.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I game exclusively on ps4 at this point. I don't have a PC though, so there's your issue. You probably should have never bought them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

If you're not in a desperate need of money then why sell them? There is always going to be something that won't come out on PC, like Bloodborne or Uncharted or whatever. You already got them, might as well keep them around, unless you need the cash.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a good PC, sure. A lot of people (myself included) aren't so fortunate so a PS4 or Xbone is a great system to have. And it will only get better.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nah, I have a pretty good PC and there's still nothing like my favourite two exclusive games on either console.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not selling my PS4 until I've at the very least played Persona 5. But yeah, when thats out and I'm done with it, I'm probably done with consoles too.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Franstone

Nah, I like to have all my bases covered.
A gaming PC for PC exclusives and multi-platform games (usually single player) if no one I know on xbox is getting whatever title.
I prefer MS over Sony, XBL over PSN, so there is my console.
I have 12 full retail games and 15 free games from games w/ gold so there's plenty of things to play for me.
Whatever Nintendo machine that plays Nintendo things as well. : )

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Nope. I really enjoy my PS4. It might be my favorite sony console tbh. No regrets at all and lots of stuff coming up that I can't get anywhere else.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No? Admittedly, I haven't touched my XB1 in quite a while, but I literally use my PS4 daily and there's enough XB1 exclusives (for me anyway) coming out this year that I personally have no reason to sell either console. My PC is pretty ancient at this point, but even if it was the shit, I would still own both consoles. My tastes in games runs far and wide and no one platform satisfies all my needs.

JayCowle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I preordered my PS4 and watched it collect dust for months. I've thought about selling it a number of times but do enjoy the PSN games. Primarily though, Like @jthom252, I use it as a set top box as an improvement on the advert laden 360 dashboard. Saying that we've seen some adds creeping into the PS4 UI which I hope is something they stop. Love or hate Steam It's free and allows me to run a game without seeing a beer advert - which was actually one of the reasons I fell out with my 360. "XBOX On, no XBro I just want to play Puzzle Quest, put the keg away".

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I've pretty much moved my gaming fully over to my PS4. I use it every day, and there is plenty of good shit ahead to make me feel just fine about it.

orange_pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Nah. I rarely ever touch my PS4 admittedly, but it's not worth selling now that it's starting to get worthwhile exclusives. What's the point of selling it when I know I'm just going to buy it again when Persona, Final Fantasy, Uncharted and the like come out? Even if I don't touch the thing between Bloodborne and Persona, those are still games I'm going to / have spent hundreds of hours playing. The only platforms I've sold in the past few years are my PS3 and Vita, simply because I don't see myself investing in games for either of those again. I've got like 7 PS4 games on my watchlist.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I built a high end pc last year and also bought PS4. While I spend more time gaming on the pc I still use the PS4 often and have absolutely no qualms about owning one.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a good gaming PC and both the Xbone and PS4 (and Wii U too) and I have no interest in trading in any of them. I'm currently using my PS4 to play Bloodborne. Before that came out I was playing Devil Survivor on my 3DS. Before that I was playing through the campaigns of Halo: MCC. While I may not be using all of my systems at all times, I transition from using each one as my primary enough to keep them around.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the same boat situation wise, although I fully intend to keep my PS4. Even though still primarily game on PC, I still have reasons to keep ye ol' Playstation. With Bloodborne I know it'll tide me over until Arkham Knight (I've been burned way too many times by the crappy launches of the Batman PC ports.) Then there's stuff like Deep Down and Persona 5 looming around the corner.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Giant_Gamer

Since last gen i've dropped the idea of a "primary" gaming system and started changing consoles based on the games they offer and when they offer them.

If you need the money then sell but if you don't then I don't see a reason why you'd sell something you will buy back in the future.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never, love my PS4

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You make a good point. While I've purposefully bought multiplatform games for my PS4 as of late, I realize that most of them would be as good, if not better on my PC. The value proposition for a new console if you have a decent PC rig is pretty low. At the same time, many of the games I play on PS4 are perhaps best played on a console, and some weren't available on PC.

PC is definitely better than consoles right now, but I like my PS4 as well.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Its probably a character flaw for me but I cant really wait for the eventual pc ports to come out down the line. 1 year is a long time to wait for a game to come to pc´s and in some cases those ports are pretty awful. So while playing games on pc is the ideal choiche there isnt always an option to do so when a new game releases. Been actually thinking about getting an Xbox One also because i really want to play tomb raider 2 and the next halo game when those come out.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I feel if you are selling your console right now you should never have bought it in the first place. I feel for you, but don't feel the same.

With all due respect this doesn't seem like a legitimate thread at all, just another one of these How come anyone needs anything other than a PC? Everything you post is wildly subjective, yet you try to wrap in to some sort of state of the industry thing. I have a great PC and am loving my PS4 while still playing 360 and PS3 even. Your list of consoles with great games out the first 2 years is very vague and easy to disagree with for a lot of people. The reverse could be true of the PS4. Helldivers and Bloodborne are two my favorite games in a very long time. Also loved Ground Zeroes and Resogun to pieces, both of which I still play. For me, the opening salvo of PS4 has far outdone what happened to me during PS3/360.

Obviously you will lose money on your PS4, and all the games you bought for it. Unless you need the money, selling it seems bizarre. You already paid for the console, and like every console since the history of games, the PS4s best games are going to trickle out over the next 5 years. This seems very premature, unless you've just decided to write off all the possible games of the future. Or you sell it now and get another one later? I dunno. Doesn't make sense.

You made a bad decision, which is fine, whatever - it happens - but don't try to warp your mistakes around by saying "it doesn't have the games I like". Anyone who is buying consoles on a lark, thinking Hey maaaybe some magical game that isn't available anywhere else will appear and I will love it - is going to get burned. Those are the people who should buy consoles late in their lifespan. Not early. When I bought my 360 I hated near everything for years. Gears of War was boring. Halo no thanks. Hated CoD at the time. It took a long time for me to get my value, but I knew it would happen. That's how time works when it comes to consoles. You're either in it for the long haul or you're not. The more narrow your tastes, the harder this whole thing becomes. The more open you are to different genres and games the more value a console will have for you.

Good luck out there.

My tastes in games runs far and wide and no one platform satisfies all my needs.

QFT. This is why you should buy a console.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#33 FinalDasa  Moderator

I like having choices.

Last generation I only owned a 360. No Wii, no PS3, no PC.

For most games it served my purpose. I had a great library to choose from and year after year provided me with more titles to choose from. I was still missing a lot of great titles that, if given the chance, I would want to play. Uncharted, MGS4, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Civilization, The Witcher, ect. All games I wanted to play, or at least check out, but couldn't.

Having that option, albeit an expensive one, really makes me happy that I can always play the next interesting indie title or big AAA title whenever they come out.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I was smart enough to not snatch one up!

Went through what you are doing right now myself. Although it is tricky I probably was always pc focussed somewhat.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've bought both XONE and PS4 now, and I'm never selling those ever. Gotta get that Hao 5 and Gears and Uncharted Collections, yo.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would say there's not a point unless you're really hard up for the money as you'll regret it when something comes out for them that you want to play down the line. Personally haven't nearly played through all they have to offer yet so i'm satisfied with them.

Also the fanboy seems strong in the OP, and anytime someone uses the :\ emoticon a kitten dies.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm keeping the PS4 for not just exclusives, but other games that i'd rather play on it. I'm getting MGSV on PS4 simply because it would feel really off playing it on a computer. Grew up playing MGS on the Playstation brand so it just wouldn't feel right.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get it. Unless you're seriously hard up for cash (in which case gaming is the least of your concerns), why not just hold onto them? What is the harm in boxing them up in the event something comes along you want to play? You'll feel like a dumbass if you find yourself re-buying consoles in a year or two because some exclusive game you really want to play comes out.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never own a gaming PC until they get to be as cheap and easy as consoles. That being said, my Xbox One wasn't the best purchase. I used the five $100 Visa gift cards I received from graduating from college and turned them into the Titanfall Xbox One bundle, but as of this writing that and the Master Chief Collection are the only games I own. Though I'll be glad to have it when Rock Band 4 comes out since my music library and DLC were on the 360. But I use my PS4 for literally every other gaming experience.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By notnert427

@geraltitude is dropping truth bombs. These threads grow very wearisome, especially since there's a new one every week that rehashes the same tired ground. We almost need a forum at this point for people to rag on the consoles and pretend PC gaming is this magical gumdrop utopia where all ports are perfectly optimized, games are never massively delayed relative to console releases, everything runs on everyone's computer, etc.

Frankly, it's a bit ridiculous to drop a grand on new consoles at launch expecting amazing exclusive games (all tailored specifically to your interests) to rain from the skies instantly, conclude that the consoles weren't worth it less than a year-and-a-half later when we're maybe 25% into this gen's life cycle, and dump the consoles now at a huge loss. That's a trifecta of short-sightedness on par with buying a new car off the dealer lot, barely driving it, and then selling it and eating the depreciation. That ain't the car's fault.

BTW, there are some fantastic exclusives out already, and the "I'm not interested in any of those games" claim simply doesn't hold water anymore given the available options. Broaden your horizons, man. You may find you actually really like some games that at first glance don't just blow you away on paper. This exact thing happened to me this past month with Titanfall.

Either that, or just be patient. Unless you truly like nothing, something on the consoles will come out to your taste in this generation, and when that happens, you'll be wishing you still had the ability to play it without having to re-buy something you already bought and sold. That you're comfortable already proclaiming this THE worst generation of consoles (while touting failed consoles like the Dreamcast, no less) is baffling.

However, it seems like your decision-making is based in impulse and emotion, so good luck with that. Chalk up two more "dog shit" consoles prematurely, take a loss unnecessarily, and call it a day, I guess. I firmly believe you'll miss out on some great stuff, both already in existence and yet to come. Just do us the favor of not complaining about the quality of any PC ports or their relatively later release dates, and spare us any lament and/or rationalization-based denigration of forthcoming console exclusives.

Remember that you're making this choice. This time, make sure it's one you won't be complaining about later.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really sounds like you jumped the gun on buying these and didn't do enough research or just disregarded the research you did do, because there's very little reason for YOU to purchase these. Seeing as you play all 3rd party games on PC you just had to look at a list of exclusives and release dates and you would have known right away you shouldn't buy them. I'm not going to pass judgement because I've made many stupid purchases, but these consoles provide exactly what a lot of people want, you're just not one of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm in the process of selling my Xbox One actually. I like the console but... I'm just not using it very much. I'm glad I got to play Sunset Overdrive and 60fps Halo but I stopped paying for Gold and just rarely feel like going on it. I bought it under the impression my friends and I would be playing Halo like, all the time, but the busted launch kinda made that not happen. These days I'd much rather just game on my PC... which isn't even that impressive of a rig but still manages to outperform the Xbox One and PS4. (I'm actually thinking of the using the money I get from the Xbox One to make some upgrades.)

I think my biggest problem with the current consoles is I know there's shit coming that I really want to play, it's just that none of those games are currently out and I feel like it's a waste (for me) to have the consoles just wait there until those games come.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JRM

@turtlebird95: Seems like more of a waste to sell it now and potentially have to buy it again later for the exclusives you might want to play.

Edit: Well said GERALTITUDE!

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a good pc then yeah, I agree. Very little exclusives to get excited about on the horizon.

If, on the other hand I didn't have one, I'd probably own a ps4 by now.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought my PS4 so that I can buy games when they come out, what with the fact that we're probably going to be in this generation for like a decade. I mean, I guess if I really needed the money i'd sell, but why would you buy BOTH consoles AT LAUNCH if you're hurting that bad for cash?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I sold my PS4 and XB1 and bought a gaming PC from Cyberpower. It will be here Tuesday. I also bought a Wii U and I've been enjoying that.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, Persona, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy haven't come out yet, so I can't sell my PS4 just yet... That might be the saddest statement I've made in a long, long time.

nerdbloggerdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've basically bought and maintained ownership of every system since the Colecovision, so, uh...no. I value being able to play any game that comes out that looks interesting to me. Also, as a guy with a career and family that keep me busy, I've got a backlog of games on all of the systems and the PC to get around to. Unlike all of the people saying there is nothing for the consoles, I find there is more than I can reasonably expect to play. I've bought almost every 3rd party game for the PS4 rather than PC because of having a much larger friends list and opportunity for multi-player on the console. The only major release I have bought for the PC is Mortal Kombat 10 because most of my fighting game friends play there.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrm: Probably, but I just don't feel right doing literally nothing with it and waiting and waiting for those games. The games I know I'd really want probably won't be out until like, late 2016 either.

And for whatever it's worth, I have the white Xbox One so I could easily sell it for more than I initially paid for.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Even if I had a gaming PC, nope. This generation is having an extremely slow start, but it'll get there.