Anyone else irked by the lack of a current endurance run?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

Today, I was playing the original Fallout, and I was having an incredible time doing it. Oddly enough, while I sat there playing a game I really enjoyed, I then decided I really wanted to see the Giant Bomb crew play this game, intro to credits. Does anyone else really want a new endurance run, or am I a strange person for daydreaming that I might see Vinny and Brad bust through the game I'm playing.

For funzies, do you guys have any ideas about what game might make for an awesome endurance run?

P.S. I'm new to this forum, so if this is somehow the wrong section for this type of thread, please call me names and tell me the right place to post it in.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Persona 5 Endurance Run #Believe #Hype

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny you mention this as I'm currently rewatching the DP endurance run watching both Brad and Ryan, and Jeff and Vinny's back to back. To answer your question; yes, but I also thought Chrono Trigger was a bad game for the last ER so maybe it is for the best they aren't doing another one.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

You must be n-

P.S. I'm new to this forum, so if this is somehow the wrong section for this type of thread, please call me names and tell me the right place to post it in.

...Ah, well that explains it then.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've been doing Endurance-esque videos for awhile now. It wasn't that long ago that Brad's run of Demon's Souls ended. We'll get another one when another game one of them feels like playing on stream from start to end pops back up again.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Is this a common thread or something?

Saganomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Very.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@interfect said:

It's funny you mention this as I'm currently rewatching the DP endurance run watching both Brad and Ryan, and Jeff and Vinny's back to back. To answer your question; yes, but I also thought Chrono Trigger was a bad game for the last ER so maybe it is for the best they aren't doing another one.

I dunno, it was pretty remarkable in some ways. I never would've guessed that two people could so thoroughly miss so many things in Chrono Trigger, a game with a relatively simple JRPG battle system all things considered.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

They've been doing Endurance-esque videos for awhile now. It wasn't that long ago that Brad's run of Demon's Souls ended. We'll get another one when another game one of them feels like playing on stream from start to end pops back up again.

Also, this is another reason why I'm okay with there not being a new ER.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xanadu

It's true we haven't had an endurance run in awhile but I feel its because it has evolved into other segments. They have played through a lot of games all the way through on live streams. Off the top of my head I know they have played at least a few castlevania games and a handful of devil may cry games as well Brad and Vinnys runs through dark/deamon souls. The only difference is the "endurance run" is suppose to have a new episode every weekday where these are released weekly.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saganomics: So I guess that means we all really want an Endurance Run, right?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2 said:

@yummylee: Is this a common thread or something?

Yeah, it's sort of a recurring gag that you should never make a thread asking about an Endurance Run because of how frequently they used to crop up.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I suppose you could consider Patrick's playthrough of the Blair Witch game an Endurance Run...

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe part of the reason I really want an Endurance Run is because I'm not a paying member and I don't get to watch any of the Bradly May Cry type of videos. I guess I really didn't think of those. But the question still remains to anyone who wants to answer it. What game do you want to see a playthrough of, and who should play it?

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#15  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I miss it too. Like others have said there are premium features that are like an endurance run, but it was nice having a consistent piece of content to look forward to every weekday, and they had a different atmosphere to them. Bradley May Cry is a great example, because every time they played the game there had been a month between segments, so Brad forgot everything about how to play and then he just bullshits with Vinny about random stuff while trying his best to avoid having to learn how to play by cheesing everything. And even though I enjoyed the Ryan-Brad Deadly Premonition and Ryan-Patrick Chrono Trigger runs, to me it's only a true endurance run when it's Jeff and Vinny playing a game together, and Jeff hasn't really been participating in any of the ER style premium videos.

The 155 best pieces of content on this site are the 155 episodes of the Persona 4 Endurance Run.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Daveyo520

I am so irked

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I'm terribly vexed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

You must be n-

...Ah, well that explains it then.

Well OP did say just for funzies. Nothing wrong with funzies!

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slaps2

@daveyo520: It was the only word I could get to make the title fit. You know you love it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares, at this point? It's pretty clear that it's not logistically feasible for them. I guess. It's not like they're not doing it out of spite of threads like this. If you want it to happen, you might as well ask. I mean shit, doesn't anybody else find it strange that the thing that there is an over-fucking-whelming demand for is the one thing they kind of won't do? It's kind of weird that this is that one entertainment source in the world where it's taboo to say to the creators, "hey, I like that thing you did, I'd like to see more."

Oh well. I'm over it. I mean, I subscribe, so I basically still get occasional endurance runs anyway, right?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Daveyo520
Hengst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128 said:

Bradley May Cry is a great example, because every time they played the game there had been a month between segments, so Brad forgot everything about how to play and then he just bullshits with Vinny about random stuff while trying his best to avoid having to learn how to play by cheesing everything.

"Bradly May Cry", or as I like to call it, "Watch Brad take 8 months to beat a 7 hour game."

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Well, I mean we get plenty of pseudo endurance runs all the time. I think the crew has made it clear they don't want to do that kind of thing again. Separate from that, sure. I'd love to see a proper one again someday. I'm not really upset about it though.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hengst said:

@taku128 said:

Bradley May Cry is a great example, because every time they played the game there had been a month between segments, so Brad forgot everything about how to play and then he just bullshits with Vinny about random stuff while trying his best to avoid having to learn how to play by cheesing everything.

"Bradly May Cry", or as I like to call it, "Watch Brad take 8 months to beat a 7 hour game."

Yeah, this is another reason why those suck. They are so infrequent. I don't need another 155 episode ER posted daily, but there has to be some middle ground.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@slaps2: they should have recorded the Bradley May Cry stuff all at once or at the very least within one week, then released them once a month.

khopps17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

even though there hasn't been anything marked as an ER, they've been doing tons of stuff just like it. wheter it be the bradly may cry series, or brad playing through demons souls

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd just like to see Vinny (and Dave!) tackle on some olde FMV game (or the new Tex Murphy game), if something.

Also, this again reminded me of not having watched the P4 ER as of yet. Tried to check it sometime last year or the year before that, but just couldn't get into it. Might give it another chance this summer, if I get plenty of spare time...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

My suggestion: try out a premium subscription ($5 for a month, $50 for a year). They've played a handful of games to completion for that if you're looking for that content (games aren't as long as Persona 4 though).

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer playing games than watching someone else do it

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The definition for "irked" is to be irate. No, I am not irate about their not being an endurance run. There is plenty of content on this site to keep me going. I also don't have a culture of gaming where I have to watch the Duders play everything. Endurance Runs take a lot of time out of their schedules, keep other content from coming out, and involve more than just the two people sitting in on the run. Here is the list of GB employees in the San Francisco offices right now: Brad, Vinny, Jeff, Rorie, and Drew. Rorie is mainly involved with the community, Vinny and Drew are on video, and then there is Jeff and Brad. If they had two more staff plus an intern they might be able to get away with it but not right now.

So no, I am not irate about the duders not doing an endurance run every week out of the year.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There's so much premium content going on, I'm good.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#32 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@beachthunder: In the truest sense, that game was truly testing his endurance on the last Spookin'.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: You don't need to be irate to be irked. Irritated, maybe. Irked can be accurately described as "slightly bothered".

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

My suspicion is that amount of time Jeff and Vinny have to spend in meetings post CBSi coupled with the fact Ryan and Patrick are no longer in the office make this all but impossible anymore.

And I dunno, the world is different now. There are tons of Let's Players out there now who can do these all the time. Probably makes sense for the crew to move onto new formats that youtubers can't replicate as easily.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Eh, I wouldn't be opposed to another ER, but I'm not clamoring for one either. True story: I didn't watch most of either Deadly Premonition run and I only barely paid attention to Chrono Trigger. I still maintain that Persona 4 was lightning in a bottle and there will never be a better game for the GB crew to play.

I think the reason the staff doesn't want to do another one is the time commitment involved, while whatever premium livestream craziness they have going on doesn't have that requirement. They've played through their share of complete games, and some of that is the best content on the site. Bioforge man, Bioforge.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point, I'm more irked by people asking for another endurance run or acting like we're entitled to one.

We know the guys will do what they want when they want; we're only supporting them in that. We've never gotten to decide what does and does not happen, and in this case, they are well aware of interest in a new Endurance Run. If it's going to happen, it will most likely happen on its own, not from any of our input or pressure.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@slaps2 said:

Maybe part of the reason I really want an Endurance Run is because I'm not a paying member and I don't get to watch any of the Bradly May Cry type of videos. I guess I really didn't think of those. But the question still remains to anyone who wants to answer it. What game do you want to see a playthrough of, and who should play it?

I feel ya on that, but the fact of the matter is if there were to be another ER, I would bet money on it being a premium feature. That's a money train waiting to take off, I'm pretty sure there are quite a few of us here who've never jumped on the subscriber train that would if a new endurance run was the incentive.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

They need to find the right game. Chrono Trigger, great as it was, wasn't suitable for an ER. Persona 4, with its huge and weird content, and Deadly Premonition, with is insane open world, were great ER choices because they let the crew have fun each episode, with each of them not knowing what crazy stuff would be thrown their way. A great ER game is one that has enough weirdness, strangeness, humour or mechanical complexity to make each episode worth while. It's tough to find a game like that.

And they have done "Endurance Runs" of other games. BioForge was played start to finish, and pretty much counts as an Endurance Run.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Honestly, the only thing I really miss right now is Random PC Game stuff that Vinny, Brad, Drew, and Dave used to do. I would much rather have a monthly or bi-monthly video of that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait... this was locked earlier, and yet now it's not. Was that a mod mistake or...?

Clubbins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Popping down 5 bones for one month to get a taste of the premium content is a pretty good maneuver. I still make myself laugh when I think of Vinny trying to ricochet his bullets around that elevator to hit the robots outside on the Bioforge (not) endurance run. Plus, they don't really surface any of what is going on behind the premium wall. I was pretty surprised at all the old and new content that opens up.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Wait... this was locked earlier, and yet now it's not. Was that a mod mistake or...?

I guess the power of people's desire for a new Endurance Run overcame even a lock. It's a Giant Bomb miracle.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I know why they don't want to do a new ER: because Jeff couldn't handle a third Bufu moment.

But seriously, if there would be a new ER and it wasn't lead by Vinny and Jeff then I would rather not have another ER. They are the team. It's either them or no one.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point there are so few people at GB San Francisco that having 3 people (driver, co-driver, video guy) do an endurance run would kill productivity.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a Drew / Danny ER of an F1 game (2011 would coincide nicely with their discussion of the Canadian GP in the upcoming Alt+F1). One day, one race.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because watching the team play through a game they don't want to just out obligation seems like it would be super miserable. Also they are working with a skeleton crew at the moment so I think it would put too much strain on the guys, and we would see other content suffer. I think think Giant Bomb is founded on the principle of doing what they want to do, and anyway subscribers have effectively had at least three endurance runs in the last year.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I'd rather have ERs than pretty much any of the other site content, it's why I came here in the first place and still the best content on the site.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By Bollard

To answer your question; yes, but I also thought Chrono Trigger was a bad game for the last ER so maybe it is for the best they aren't doing another one.

This. The appeal of the Endurance Run is them playing obscure/bad games. Chrono Trigger was too... normal to be enjoyable to watch.

preaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By preaser

I really miss a lot of the old site features. And the whiskey media age as well

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Don't care, just give me more Castlevinnia already!

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Niceanims

Yeah, I'd like to see another endurance run, but it won't be good if there ain't no heart in it. Get more crew and they might just have the manpower to pull it off. Until then, I'll wait.