Anyone overclock their computers?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Just wondering. If so, is it worth doing so? Taking the time to learn how to do it, as well as getting stuff like a cooler/fan or what have you? I'd like to try it out sometime since I can't buy a new computer any time soon. My computer can run games, but I'd rather they run on its highest settings smoothly than not. By the way, is there any automatic overclocking tools rather than a manual so it makes it easier? 

http://www.gateway.com/product_spec.php?product_recid=529668282    
Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Joker369

I used to overclock a lot when I had the some high end tech for the time . But when that stuff started showing some age and overheating when running some high end games like MW2, I turned the settings down to normal did not notice much of a difference

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I am not doing any overclocking right now for the cpu. I can give you advice on good cpu coolers that I was looking at. Ask someone else on the forum.

I overclocked the ram to 1600Mhz, which was easy. I am also good at overclocking the gpu, I can give you advice on overclocking the gpu, i've been doing it for years.  

It would help to know your cpu's clock core and what videocard your using, however i'm not sure if you can overclock a mac.  I'm good at overclocking a gpu, I know everything there is to know about overclocking it, I can give you advice.

Here is a result i'm very proud of, the gtx460 1gb sure overclocks very well. I even got my framerates for crysis benchmark to 54 frames averagely for only one gpu. I brought the power past a HD5850.

267 frames per second, counter strike source beta
267 frames per second, counter strike source beta

68 frames average, Mafia 2
68 frames average, Mafia 2
NoTicket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NoTicket

In general overclocking will not result in a huge gain in performance. Saying not to ask for specs makes this thread pointless, because each CPU/GPU combo responds differently to increased clock speeds.

I have an overclocked Core 2 Duo. It's stock 2.4GHz and running at 3.2GHz. This chip is CPU enouch for any game on the market, but until I upgraded my 8800GTS to a GTX 460 I wasn't able to play at a higher quality setting. Video cards will generally give very small gains in fps for very high overclocks. GPUs in my experience also tend to die faster with overclocking than.

Of couse, as with everything, your mileage may vary. And my advice is try overclocking, don't expect miracles, and upgrade your video card. You don't need a whole new rig, if you have a C2D just get a new video card.

Oh, also, my Core 2 Duo is running on the stock cooler with that overclock. You don't necessarily need a new cooler, just dust out the one you got.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Back when CPUs ran at 200Mhz and you could overclock an extra 33-66Mhz out of it, it was worth it. Nowadays with CPUs 3Ghz+ and getting only a few hundred extra Mhz out of an overclock, it just isn't worth the time. There's a big difference between 200Mhz and 266Mhz, but 3Ghz vs. 3.2 Ghz, not so much.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Most ppl overclocks a i7 to 4.0Ghz and don't you even for a second thing your dual core can compare in framerates since it reduces bottlenecking and is way more powerful. I know i've been comparing scores to my last amd dual core, i'm getting like double or triple more framerates for most benchmarks on my gtx 460. It's just weaker cpus in the past doesn't have alot of room to overclock.  

Of course the op should tell use what the cpu is, so we know exactly how much overclocking potential there is.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By oatz

I only use Macs, and since they are pretty tightly packed in aluminum bodies, I don't think it'd be very good for them. I don't really see a reason to overclock either, I have an i7 processor and 8 gigabytes of RAM which is just fine for me.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adamsons

Running my i7 920D0 at 3.6ghz

Any higher and my temps start to climb and the heat/performance really isn't worth it to me. Running real cool and more importantly rock solid atm.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I have an old ass AMD 5600+ stock at 2.8 but managed to get the fucker up to 3.2ghz stable with a 30 dollar aftermarket fan cooler which supports two fans and keeps it nice and cool. After lots of researching I found that this particular chip (Windsor) overclocks for shit, which is kind of a bummer since I have a ton of headroom on my ram.

It did give me a little boost in frames and on 3dmark 06(which is cpu hungry) I went from about 9000 all the way up to around 11500. It really comes down to you upgrading your GPU which will give you a nice sexy bump in framerate as I found overclocking my current GPU (GTX 260) doesn't really add much compared to stock speeds much in terms of performance.

Sure makes it run a little hotter though!

Bottom line, if you want to do a little overclock, you'll probably be able to get by on stock cooling, but if you want to go balls out crazy, then you are going to need help in the cooling department.
Overclocking is really not as scary as most people make it out to be, but not knowing what you're doing can cause a good amount of damage. Just check those temps and all will be well.

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Praab_NZ

Err, if you have any kind of modern setup you can gain many fps from overclocking. But results will entirely depend on what you are using your computer for. Video editors and other software that encodes or processes large volumes of data will benefit greatly from a CPU overclock. Some games benefit a small amount from CPU overclocking, but the most direct is of course graphics card overclocking. If you have a mid range card you can always push it a little further than higher end ones, because they tend to be simply underclocked versions of more powerful chipsets. If you arent satisfied with your gaming performance, the place to start is overclocking. If you try your best and things dont get much better, then its either time for an upgrade or you need better cooling! 

I mean, with my setup, my graphics card is bottlenecked by my CPU at default clockspeed. Results vary widely with overclocking, experiment and see how far you can go. Unless you do something real stupid like set the voltage of something to 240v then you cant damage your computer from doing it. 
Oh yeah, and there arent really any automatic programs to overclock for you, because every computer has a different limit; the easiest program i know for manual configuration are MSI afterburner for your graphics card - but stick to your bios for CPU and ram overclocks as software for that stuff tends to be unstable as hell. 

EDIT: Turning into a long post  
@NoTicket said:

"In general overclocking will not result in a huge gain in performance. Saying not to ask for specs makes this thread pointless, because each CPU/GPU combo responds differently to increased clock speeds.I have an overclocked Core 2 Duo. It's stock 2.4GHz and running at 3.2GHz. This chip is CPU enouch for any game on the market, but until I upgraded my 8800GTS to a GTX 460 I wasn't able to play at a higher quality setting. Video cards will generally give very small gains in fps for very high overclocks. GPUs in my experience also tend to die faster with overclocking than.Of couse, as with everything, your mileage may vary. And my advice is try overclocking, don't expect miracles, and upgrade your video card. You don't need a whole new rig, if you have a C2D just get a new video card.Oh, also, my Core 2 Duo is running on the stock cooler with that overclock. You don't necessarily need a new cooler, just dust out the one you got. "

Okay a few issues with this, Core2's are not enough for modern games, they really bottleneck performance of any 5k ATI or 400 Nvidia card, namely due to their small caches and other minor chipset related slowness (Compared to i7).  
Video cards dont die faster if you overclock them, volt modding them to acceptable levels wont shorten their life either. If you cant upgrade, try to really push your computer, if it crashes its usually a sign you arent trying hard enough :P.  
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

i overclock my GPU a little bit. there is a program from Nvidia/ Evga that i use from time to time. i don't notice anything.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The reason why ppl didn't get much results from overclocking their gpu is because their cpu, amd cpus are too weak and regardless you are bottlenecked. I mean it's like adding a turbokit to a crappy engine, that's why there isn't much results. I did that with my amd dual core and a gtx460, you hit a brickwall. Then when I went with the i7, i'm now getting enough extra frames out of overclocking. It's not about the Ghz, make sure it's not low of course, it's about the power of the cpu which reduces bottlenecking. If you don't have the power to begin with, how do you think your adding more framerates with a weaker cpu? That's all i'm saying, i've been there.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Praab_NZ said:
 Video cards dont die faster if you overclock them, volt modding them to acceptable levels wont shorten their life either.
Anytime you increase voltage, you increase the rate of Electromigration.
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Feanor
@Joker369: I wouldn't call MW2 a high end game. Computers with old ass hardware can play that game.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow

i5 750 @ 3.2ghz (160BCLK - 1600Mhz DDR3)

and on occasion

i5 750 @ 4.2ghz (200BCLK - 2000Mhz DDR3)

People who tell you not to overclock because there's no benefit are speaking from their bumholes.

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Praab_NZ
@Fajita_Jim:
This is happening on a microscopic scale over a long time period.  I'll take an extract from the article you linked :  

In modern consumer electronic devices, ICs rarely fail due to electromigration effects. This is because proper semiconductor design practices incorporate the effects of electromigration into the IC's layout. Nearly all IC design houses use automated EDA tools to check and correct electromigration problems at the transistor layout-level. When operated within the manufacturer's specified temperature and voltage range, a properly designed IC device is more likely to fail from other (environmental) causes, such as cumulative damage from gamma-ray bombardment.    

The manufacturers specified voltage range of any graphics card will be well within any kind of overvolting someone would want to do. Its more likely to simply never power on again than suffer damage from Electromigration.
If you keep for graphics card for, lets say, 5 years, it might fail within that time period with a constant increased voltage... But the thing is, any new gpu will undervolt and underclock itself when idle, which obviously doesnt contribute to said issue. 
You are talking about dislodging ionised atoms, that takes alot of work.
thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thehexeditor

Overclocking can provide massive benefits depending on how its done but uh

It all comes with a price *gulp*
Do you smell the stench of burning circuit boards?!

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Praab_NZ said:
    The manufacturers specified voltage range of any graphics card will be well within any kind of overvolting someone would want to do.

Admittedly I've been retired since 2002 so I don't know if things have changed, but used to the product that failed to operate properly at higher speeds/voltage was simply downclocked/downvolted and sold as a lesser-tier item. i.e. TI 4400 dies would be the dies that failed to operate at TI 4600 speeds/voltage, and TI 4200 dies would be the ones that couldn't even achieve TI 4400 speeds.
Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Praab_NZ
@Fajita_Jim:
Yeah thats still true of the industry as a whole, but I'm trying to say that each chip has an acceptable range above the stock voltage regardless of its capable function as something of a higher end.  
Its true that what you say takes place, and so some chips are simply incapable of being volted past a point, but i'd hope this isnt true for the range someone might overclock in. Could happen though! Then you'd be in trouble. 
Hopefully we are on the same page, I'm only a first year in CS-ENG.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Currently OCing my Q9550 from 2.83ghz to 3.60ghz.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Praab_NZ said:

I'm only a first year in CS-ENG. "

You have my condolences. ;-)
Are you into Binary or  Boolean Logic yet?  Once you get your brain over that hump it's all downhill.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Fajita_Jim said:

" @Praab_NZ said:

The manufacturers specified voltage range of any graphics card will be well within any kind of overvolting someone would want to do.

Admittedly I've been retired since 2002 so I don't know if things have changed, but used to the product that failed to operate properly at higher speeds/voltage was simply downclocked/downvolted and sold as a lesser-tier item. i.e. TI 4400 dies would be the dies that failed to operate at TI 4600 speeds/voltage, and TI 4200 dies would be the ones that couldn't even achieve TI 4400 speeds. "
Actually that's not so much a truism anymore.  Fabbing has become a far more exact science than it used to be at the turn of this century.  In less than a decade we've already gone from 65NM to 45NM (and soon 32NM) with much, much higher hitrates on fabrication plant targets.  What that means for the consumer is that CPU and GPU manufacturers are generally just firmware/register disabling higher end CPUs and GPUs to offer market separation, rather than putting a lot of these products through rigorous and time consuming level testing.   IHVs who use these components in Motherboards and Graphics Cards also reflect these changes as most of their products from low end through to high end all have some sort of overclocking capability, whether in Software, Firmware or as a value add (pre overclocked out of the box).  A more recent indication of how overlock friendly the PC world has become is that of XMP or eXtreme Memory Profile as part of DDR3 RAM.  1333mhz is base DDR3 speed and all other speeds beyond are achieved solely via overlocking techniques yet DDR3 RAM is sold @ speeds higher than 1333mhz (1600/2000mhz and beyond) with built in XMP settings as part of the SPD  or  Serial Presence Detect stored speed settings in the firmware of the RAM stick - Motherboards use these settings to tune themselves optimally for performance and stability).  Essentially XMP is a superset of SPD settings which tell the motherboard what overclock settings it needs (timings and voltage) to use the RAM at its advertised speed beyond the standard 1333mhz DDR3 speed.
Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Praab_NZ
@Fajita_Jim: 
Sucessfully got through both Binary and Boolean logic, I'm currently on data structures and algorithms!

@SeriouslyNow:

Oh hell yeah, leaps and bounds over old tech, but yeilds are still insane for 40nm gpus. Intel has no issue with their 45nm fabrication for whatever reason, neither with AMD, but the birth of almost all dual and tri core AMD's are just failed quadcores. 
And yeah, most of its firmware for CPU's, but in the case of the 5k AMD GPUs its all laser cut pipelines(as they used to be known) aka stream processors to create market seperation.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Geno

From my experience anything past 3.4Ghz on Intel CPUs and anything past 4Ghz on AMD CPUs is diminishing returns in games; you'll be using a lot more power and creating a lot more heat for only a minor performance difference, if that. Most games are GPU dependent anyway, so OCing your processor isn't very effective unless you play mainly RTS, or are handling 3 graphics cards or above. For your particular CPU however, it could use some OCing - anything under 2.9-3Ghz is a bit low for an AMD CPU. 

OCing GPUs is much more worthwhile, and you can do so with programs such as EVGA precision or MSI Afterburner. For your particular GPU however, I would say that there would be little benefit in OCing since improving performance on a weak (sorry, but it's the truth) GPU doesn't yield much.  

OCing memory has little to no effect in games. Adjusting the timings is much more rewarding, but again, most games are GPU dependent so if you get any performance increase with adjusting timings, it will usually be superfluous anyway. 

As to the overall "danger" of overclocking, the key is to read guides on how to do it and find working settings from some reputable sources. Then make very slight shifts and test for stability with programs like Furmark or Prime95, constantly watching over temperatures as you do so. Overclocking is rather easy once you know how to do it for your particular platform and board, but a little nerve-wracking the first couple times. One of the key things to keep in mind though regardless of what you're overclocking is that increased voltage results in an almost exponential increase in heat and power consumption as you go up beyond its default. It will be your primary source of heat, and thus instability, so be very careful in adjusting voltages.  

Note that overclocking any component will inevitably decrease its lifespan. Most PC components are rated to run for about ~10 years under normal use, heavily OCing a component could reduce it to 5, or even 3 depending on the overclock, the quality of the component, and how well it's cooled (most enthusiasts overclock anyway since they're always upgrading their machines and thus have no use for long component lifespans).  

Edit: I just noticed your 300W power supply. I would actually recommend not OCing anything for your system, a 300W PSU from Gateway can't possibly have strong enough rails to do it. From the specs given this seems like an office PC, therefore its gaming abilities are naturally limited. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@NTM: Alright, well now that we know more about your pc specs, what can it do? Are you sure a gateway pc let's you overclock? Is the bios grayed out because I heard store bought pcs are like that. If you can overclock, the first thing you should do is to get a new power supply. 300 watts really, i'm not even sure if that's enough for your videocard. (This might be a later step depending) It's easy to replace, there is a eight pin connector on your motherboard and a 24 pin. Upgrading that is locating those two, you can practically take one out, then put in the other, with the power off of course. Unscrew the other psu, then replace one wire after the next, that's the same connected to your videocard and hardrives. Of course take one out, put the other one back in. There are going to use six pin connectors on your videocard and 4 pin molex for other stuff like fans if you aren't using the three pin on the motherboard for fans. You don't need to mess with 4 or three pin stuff on your mobo actually and all the usb cables, your only worring about the stuff connected to the powerwatt supply. Also don't connect the 4 pin to the hardrive, there is a long L shape connectors on most mobos. Let's just say you extracted a psu and added in all the cables for your other psus, then your done. That's the concept anyways, you need more power. 
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Your cpu clock core is way too low, it has to be overclocked. Then again, you probally could just upgrade the cpu yourself to a 3.2Mhz version and be done with it. It's easy, change out the cpu by opening that cpu plate, put in a new one carefully, drop it in downwards. Then put some thermal paste on it, a bit, of course, put on the heatsink which they would provide. Some ppl likes to use alot of cpu testing programs, at least it can heat up the thermal paste until it cured after a week before it works at it's optimal level. Of course you can do this without getting a new cooler, or just getting a really cheap one. The original cooler isn't going to work well for overclocking, like others said, when overclocking you need to always watch your tempertures with programs to make sure it won't past a certain point. They can give you better advice on this than I can. If someone had a cpu that's 2.8Ghz, overclocking it really high might give them an extra 10-15 frames at all times. However if you overclock your cpu, I think you will notice something really similar too because your cpu is on the slow side. Was it 2.2Ghz? I have to doublecheck, you want to get that past 3.0Ghz at the very least.

Look a cpu cooler will cost money, $50-$90, so it's already an investment. Crappier cpu coolers will only give you what you paid for. I don't know how big that pc case is, it will limit what coolers you can install, however to overclock anything the stock cooler needs to be replaced. If you don't have a backplate on your mobo exposing the back of the cpu, you might have to take out the mobo and reconnect all the cables again. You might want to do that first before the whole psu thing. Some coolers are like 6.5" so you won't be able to close the case. You have to make sure your case can fit a cooler. I say just upgrade your cpu to this. I assume these will work with your cpu socket, if you can use AM3.

Upgrading the cpu to a faster cpu might give you more benefit than overclocking your gpu, your framerates will increase when it stops bottlenecking your card so much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808&cm_re=phenom_X4-_-19-103-808-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727&cm_re=phenom_X4-_-19-103-727-_-Product      

Either option will cost you money, I mean a new psu might cost like nearly $60-$120 depending on your needs. Also you would needed a new cooler, which is another $50-$90.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Or you could not spend a single dollar and try to overclock the gpu. It's not advised because it can shut down your pc if you don't have enough power, however it's totally a free thing to do.
for gpu overclocking, with such a bottlenecked cpu, you won't see any increase in framerates because your going to run into a brick wall. However it doesn't hurt to try, you will gain experience overclocking at least. Also you obviously don't have the power to do alot of overclocking without upgrading your power watt supply, lastly your gpu might be on the weak side, overclocking won't yield alot of results. The concept is simple, just turn the sliders to a point where the computer crash. Ppl used to overclock with rivatuner, however that program is old and phased out. I would download a program called msi afterburner. http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm 

I changed my overclocking techniques lately, I used to move the slider from clock core first, I would suggest trying memory first until it freezes or crashes. (You can look up reviews of your gpu, ppl in benchmarks overclocks it and writes about it. You can have a good idea of the capabilities, don't copy their settings, you might not have the power or cooling to do this with your case Just get an idea, I know my gtx460 can go near 850Mhz - 900Mhz, a heavy overclocker) The good thing about the program is that it lets you see the temperture on a graph for each of your components seperately, it reduces the work of overclocking, don't get the line too high of course, you know you have hit a brick wall. You do this slowly, constantly testing it with benchmark programs to see if it will artifact, or crash. If it doesn't do any of those things, you slowly turn it up. I said slowly, too fast, you might make it crash. Once you have the memory around where you want it and it doesn't crash, then it's time to work the clock core and shader clock. (the overclocking graph is only three major components, clock core, shader clock and memory, so it's not like a ton of things to do) They usually link the clocks for fermi gpus, my gpu, however yours isn't linked. I would start with changing the clock core slowly, I would do like 50Mhz increments, then slow it down to 10. Once you get near where you want it to, it should like give you artifacts or you see these checkered patterns on screen, you better like turn it back down, a minute of this will fry your gpu or make that permanent. Still when that happens, you turn down the Mhz a bit, then you save it. Now you have sucessfully overclocked.  

Of course I usually test the overclock with benchmark programs. A good one is called furmark, however I don't use it. It's the program that will test stability by using a fur pattern, which takes a tool on your gpu to see if it's stable after their test. That's just the quick way, I don't like it. For me I run the most powerful benchmarks and see if there are artifacts. I am using a fermi card so I have directX 11, so I have tesselation for certain benchmarks. The first thing to do is to see if you can even finish a benchmark. Some benchmarks I use 3dmark 06, 3dmark vantage, you can only use it once, however if you are "creative" you can find a way around it. I also use unengine heaven 2.1 demo (I got tesselation for my DX11 gpu, so I get the most out of it) there is a final fantasy XIV benchmark you can download, crysis benchmark, there is a lost planet 2 benchmark which i'm using now (DX11) since it's totally graphically intensive and it's recent. Look if you made it past running the lost planet 2 benchmark for example, you probally have a stable enough overclock that it doesn't crash or artifact. Then usually if i'm happy with the quick overclock, then i'll run all these programs above one right after the other. If there are no crashes, you survived the second tier of test. Some articles might probally tell you to run 3d mark programs in a loop or a benchmark, however my technique is different, over the years since I had a crappy amd cpu, I always overclock the gpu to get more out of it.

I honestly don't think you will get more than a few framerates in the current state of your cpu.

I have a dozen videogames with benchmarks, so I run all those test, if it still works, then I run a game like crysis on very high settings, since you have vista. If playing crysis doesn't crash and burn, you know the overclock is good. I would then play games for hours, make sure it's stable, the most powerful of games. Then again you can use furmark to reduce all these steps. I don't have experience with it. All this takes time, however you don't want to mess up your pc if you did it wrong. 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or you can skip all that shit, just buy a new psu, those cpu I said and a new gpu, a real one, not these gpus that comes with a computer. Installing a new gpu is the easiest out of all these steps. I mean you have vista and you have 8 gigs of ram, no need to rebuild, you can still get some life out of it. If you upgraded a new gpu now, you won't see a single extra frame, trust me i've been there with my last amd cpu with my current gtx460. So if you want more, just upgrade your cpu, psu and gpu last. Or just upgrade your cpu, which I belive you will see an increase in framerates. I think you can run it with the the stock cooler because they do sell these cpus with store bought pc. Just upgrade that cpu first, that's my advice, then worry about overclocking or getting a new gpu with a new psu later.