Anyone who started as a Patrick non-believer...

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By UlquioKani

Patrick's pretty cool. He can be boring sometimes when attempting to describe a game on the bombcasr and the others don't seem to have this problem but overall he is pretty cool. His articles are fucking awesome though

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By EnduranceFun

He has his moments, but he can also be really annoying. His perspective was great in the GotY podcasts last year, for example, but then there's shit like his forced memes and hyperactivity that really grate on me. In all, I generally find him kind of irritating, and wish he'd calm down.

As a writer he's definitely needed at Giant Bomb, though. The news job was a problem that this site had from its inception, and Patrick solved it neatly. I just don't get why he was instantly elevated to being in 50% of all content.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#103  Edited By Radar

I was never a fan of Patrick before Giantbomb but he completely changed my mind when he got hired. He's pretty cool.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By phantomzxro

I will say i don't hate or dislike Patrick never have but i don't think i would grab a beer with the guy one on one. He kind of like that friend of a friend that whenever your alone with you have nothing to say really. But Patrick does good work for the site and i respect his journalist skills.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Yeah, I thought he was a pretty cool dude when he came on, but he can be kind of grating in videos sometimes (Nolan North interview, anyone?) It's weird though, cuz sometimes he's really cool, like in the recent 3DS Quick Looks, and he writes some great material and seems to have great taste in games. It's just kind of a 50/50 shot of whether or not he'll be annoying in the video stuff.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By MisterMouse

I really enjoy him amongst the others he added some nice diversity, and he can be pretty funny at times, yet serious when needed to bring some good content. I don't have a huge issue with him giving away some endings because it is normally for a good cause and to add some type of commentary, and it is usually a bit after the game in question was released. I feel like he was a wonderful addition to the site, and I also think having these types of forum posts don't really get us anywhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really enjoy the articles Patrick provides to the site, and I feel like you don't see his kind of journalism on other video game sites. He's a duder just the same in my book.

Greatgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Greatgrey

@TheHumanDove said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Drebin_893 said:

I'm not going to lie, I didn't mind him when he came on (optimistic, let's say), but I've come to find him really annoying. Sorry :(

Kinda this, honestly.

Yeah, me too.

this

This, also I think his articles are usually a waste of time.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Simulacrum

@Sooty:Something weird must have happened with the characterizer add-on I'm using with firefox.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike the way he speaks, but I have no problem with him as a person. He just uses the word "like" a lot, and often interrupts his own sentences.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#111  Edited By bobafettjm

I liked his work before he came to Giant Bomb, so I was always excited to see him here.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By AssInAss

@Greatgrey said:

This, also I think his articles are usually a waste of time.

Why?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Oh look. A Patrick bashing thread. Real original, guys.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By Death_Burnout

@OllyOxenFree said:

There are some things that I dislike about him but that's just human behavior - nobody is perfect. He's A-OK in my book.

@Bob_Loblaw said:

I also think people overlook the occasional times the rest of the crew can be annoying because they have so much goodwill in the bank. Sometimes Jeff can be dismissive, sometimes Ryan's 'being a dick for the sake of it' schtick, grates and sometimes Brad is barely conscious and of course Vinny... actually you've got me there Vinny is never not awesome.

I think this is important, I mean really, no one is perfect...well except for Vinny...I guess that argument did just fly out the window didn't it.

No Vinny can be annoying sometimes but it is incredibly rare, and that is life.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#115  Edited By Video_Game_King

I don't remember what I thought of him when he first came on board.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quite enjoy his articles, but I could really stand to have a whole lot less of him on Quick Looks and Bombcasts. I'm sorry, but he annoys me in large doses and he seems to take a glee in being a downer on things. I prefer my Patrick in small doses because he just comes off as too pushy and trying too hard to get a word in edgewise.

They should get him some Xanax before each time he's on a podcast or camera, because he acts like an annoying spaz far too often.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#117  Edited By big_jon

I don't mind him, he's cool. Dude needs to hit the gym and eat something though.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ElixirBronze

He's alright, my only complaint is that he tends to interrupt others when they talk (maybe that's just me), but the same could be said about Ryan also. The difference between Ryan and Patrick is, if Patrick wasn't here, giant bomb would still be giant bomb.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like him

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#120  Edited By TheHBK

Love Patrick. He goes out and gets real news stories and also gets some amazing interviews.

This is in stark contrast to Alex who just hangs out on his couch in NY while his girl does real work and posts up stories that were reported on other places hours earlier.

Greatgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Greatgrey

@AssInAss: I just think his articles give the guise of really in depth journalism, when really they dont say anything new or interesting. Almost all his articles are about the most obvious and trite thing that is going on in the game world, that nothing more really needs to be said about.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By NegativeCero

He's doing fine. Haters need to get over it.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#123  Edited By DukesT3

Great writer.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#124  Edited By ShadowConqueror

He's okay. He's probably my least favourite member of the Bombsquad.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I like his writing, but he has a remarkable gift to get under my skin by being one of those people. You know, the ones who praise indie games like they're shining examples of design and creative achievement, each indie game its own special snowflake, while dogging the shit out of popular games for, you guessed it, being popular.

His mother dresses him funny, too.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#126  Edited By jakkblades

@matti00 said:

@Grillbar said:

i like him.

cant see the problem

This. It never even crossed my mind that someone wouldn't like him. Someone needs to tell him that American Football is for pussies though.

Whoa whoa, man, we shouldn't be spreading lies like this on the thread. We don't want someone getting the wrong idea about physics and the nature of reality.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Patman99

I've always liked him.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By AssInAss

@Greatgrey said:

@AssInAss: I just think his articles give the guise of really in depth journalism, when really they dont say anything new or interesting. Almost all his articles are about the most obvious and trite thing that is going on in the game world, that nothing more really needs to be said about.

Getting comments directly from the developers and the subjects mentioned in his articles is real journalism, though. His articles are not one-sided (he asked to get viewpoints from the "villains" like the FGC dude and the woman that was insulted) and are more objective than the typical gaming news website.

If you've noticed, he doesn't regurgitate the same info from another website that a lot of blogger websites (Destructoid, Kotaku, etc) do.

You rarely see a source at the end for the original news article. It's all original content.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Karkarov

It would be nice if his personal opinion would stop creating most of his "news" articles. For example the article about Amazon accepting returns on ME3, their standard return policy isn't news worthy.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By AssInAss

@Oldirtybearon said:

I like his writing, but he has a remarkable gift to get under my skin by being one of those people. You know, the ones who praise indie games like they're shining examples of design and creative achievement, each indie game its own special snowflake, while dogging the shit out of popular games for, you guessed it, being popular.

You got a source for this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AssInAss said:

@Greatgrey said:

Getting comments directly from the developers and the subjects mentioned in his articles is real journalism, though. His articles are not one-sided (he asked to get viewpoints from the "villains" like the FGC dude and the woman that was insulted) and are more objective than the typical gaming news website.

If you've noticed, he doesn't regurgitate the same info from another website that a lot of blogger websites (Destructoid, Kotaku, etc) do.

You rarely see a source at the end for the original news article. It's all original content.

Totally. Patrick is seems to do a lot of legwork and investigating in most of his articles (Though I was severely disappointed with his approach to the whole FGC fiasco and how he rushed out a shitty tabloid article so he could get the "scoop" there. Thankfully, that seemed like a rare slip up)

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Scooper

He's annoying. Nothing against him. I'm sure he's nice and a stand up guy. But his constant pushy tone of voice is annoying on the bombcast and videos. But whatever. I'm not paying anything for it so who gives a fuck what I think.

klimdeeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By klimdeeni

I really like his articles but as a personality in videos and podcasts.... I find him a bit lacking. Wish he would stay a little more behind the articles.

Joined the site after he came on board so I can't really say

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#134  Edited By Brendan

He's not at his best as an entertainer. His strengths lie in his writing. I find him to be a good addition to the team overall.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@AssInAss said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Listen to the Bombcast. If he's not praising an indie game for being indie, he's talking massive shit out of his ass about popular games.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always liked him, probably always will. He's relatable, funny, usually very fair, and knowledgeable on the industry, pretty much everything I need in a game journalist.

Greatgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Greatgrey

@AssInAss: I don't mean to demean him, I agree that his articles are journalism, they are completely his own. What I mean is when I read an article from Killscreen or something I always come away with a new idea a new way of thinking. I just feel that his articles are not really saying anything and are just presenting knowledge that is easy to understand, with out reading him spelling it out for you.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By AssInAss

@Oldirtybearon said:

@AssInAss said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Listen to the Bombcast. If he's not praising an indie game for being indie, he's talking massive shit out of his ass about popular games.

Oh I thought you meant in his news articles. If you can cite a specific example for a game in a Bombcast, I'd like to listen and see if his hate for that game was so superficial. I haven't really noticed anything like that.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#139  Edited By AndrewB

I think Giant Bomb just needs to hire someone to be the meatshield. Someone who does nothing else at the company other than be there to take the flak from internet rage. I'd say bring Kessler back for that job, but I like Matt.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#140  Edited By Daneian

I respect his articles but not his perspective on games or the experience he looks for in them. Also way too chatty and that causes Vinny to shut down.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#141  Edited By jakkblades

@Karkarov: Why do I get the feeling that your personal opinion is coloring your statement? He clarified something that a lot of people, and websites that were breaking headlines on the subject, had confused.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndrewB said:

I think Giant Bomb just needs to hire someone to be the meatshield. Someone who does nothing else at the company other than be there to take the flak from internet rage. I'd say bring Kessler back for that job, but I like Matt.

BRING BACK THE FEAR GAUNTLET!

Or at least finish up Condemned 2

Honestly, everyone who's complaining about a lack of an Endurance Run should give Kessler and Lemon's playthrough of the first Condemned a watch. I loved it!

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By HellBrendy

Not at all liking his videos (that fucking Nolan North-interview...) and quick looks, but his articles. Damn, that boy can write.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By swoxx

@AlexanderSheen said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Drebin_893 said:

I'm not going to lie, I didn't mind him when he came on (optimistic, let's say), but I've come to find him really annoying. Sorry :(

Kinda this, honestly.

Yeah, me too.

I think he's fine. He just tries way too hard to be funny a lot, which is a shame.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#145  Edited By donutfever
@murisan said:

The only thing that irritates me about him is his tendency to spoil games.

This.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By SSully

Patrick is the fucking bomb. He provides unique written content for the site, and he is just as good as any other crew member during a quick look. The main think I like about him is that he actually challenges people during the bombcast. Sometimes the original 4 can be a little to complacent and laid back on stuff, atleast Patrick brings a unique perspective to the table.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#147  Edited By BleedingStarX

I personally like Patrick and enjoy any contribution he makes to the site

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#148  Edited By Wraxend

I think the Trickster rounds out the bombcrew quite nicely. Plus he's alot closer to my age than any of the others so this helps also.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

I LIKE TRICKY PAT

HE'S PATTY TRICK

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By UltimAXE

My only problem with Patrick is that I don't always gel with his sense of humor. Same with Alex, actually. When they speak, it's extremely rare that I find them funny at all, but when they write stuff they have me in stitches. It's weird. Initially, Patrick's jokes felt really forced and were mildly annoying, but I either got used to him or he's since chilled out, so it's all good.

I do find the adamant Patrick hatred amusing, though.