Are dedicated servers a thing of the past?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

We all know about Infinity Ward's controversy over MW2 not having dedicated servers, but I was surprised to learn the other day that Bioshock 2's multiplayer would also lack dedicated server support. Even games like Bad Company 2, who's biggest draw to PC players is the fact that it will contain them, won't have them in the traditional sense (EA wont be releasing the server code). My question, fellow Giantbombers, is this: Is not having dedicated servers something we should get used to, and do you think this will affect the appeal of PC gaming? I know personally if dedicated servers go, I wont have much reason to buy any multiplatform games on the PC.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Dedicated servers are the reason I play my shooters on the PC; it seems like they will eventually be phased out but hopefully a few of the more PC centric developers will see what their customers want and keep dedicated servers. I can see Valve keeping them available long after most other developers have switched to Peer to Peer.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Yep. The biggest problem with PC gaming is the barrier of entry. Since it's safe to assume that everybody is cross-eyed pants-shittingly retarded anything that makes playing a game easier is considered a good thing. It also helps prevent pirates from playing online on dedicated pirate servers. More technical games will most likely still have a server browser but it'll most likely be considered rare.

Just /dance!

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Coombs

Yes,
Poor PC gamers......

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crystalskull2

Bioshock wasn't supposed have multiplayer in the first place. So,its logical that they don't want to delay the game for dedicated servers as it would sell for its single player alone. As for BF:BC 2, ea is trying to control piracy using rent system. They're not removing it altogether or profiting from it either. So, unless more and more games ditch dedicated servers, it won't be a thing of the past in anytime soon.

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By karneh

No. Infinity Ward did it for the lulz. They made more work for themselves by removing the server system on the pc from an engine that already has it. MW2 proved that IW has made a money pit for everyone that will buy the next one. 
Bioshock 2's multiplayer is not dedicated because it doesn't have multiplayer that will have lasting appeal, they never do.  That's not a bad thing, its just that it wont last as long due to lack of modding support and such that have almost become a standard for long running games with multiplayer.

In short: Developers simply port it to the pc from consoles without any second looks.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Ghostiet

It's understandable - dedicated servers lengthen the endurance of the game after the developer cuts off support. And from a financial standpoint, that's no good.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous
@President_Barackbar said:
" I know personally if dedicated servers go, I wont have much reason to buy any multiplatform games on the PC. "
Basically this, for me.

I'll probably just quit playing online FPSs.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august

If Valve is still around, dedicated servers aren't going anywhere. Also no one gives a crap about Bioshock 2's multi.

Haizeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Haizeus

Valve preserve us...

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NukeGoBoom

This is the stupidest post i have ever read... Dedicated servers are a practicly mandatory feature in games. Developers are only excluding it from a game to prevent piracy... Dedicated servers are just Modding Tools for online games.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Binman88

No they're not. Matchmaking is a thing of the past that is unfortunately still being implemented in shooters. Dedicated servers are better in pretty much every way imaginable and there are enough developers out there that know how necessary they are.

I have a feeling the lack of dedicated servers in Bioshock 2 will be the least of its multiplayer problems.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422

No.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

kind of as some PC games aren't having dedicated servers like modern warfare 2. i kind of hate how they aren't making servers for a lot of newer games as makes games online a lot better. if u lag u can just change to a different server but if u lag in a P2p then u have to leave then search for another game.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By JoelTGM

because it's not worth giving Bioshock 2 dedicated servers.  Dedicated servers are not a thing of the past. 

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CornontheCobbe

It saddens me that not everyone will be able to enjoy these games the way they should be, if the Host lags out badly.

Tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tomarlyn

The only online game I really need in my diet is CS:Source and from this alone I can appreciate dedicated servers. However If people just stuck with their favourite it would benefit the whole community.  

Does MW2 even need to exist anyway? Why not just keep updating MW1? Yeah I know the financial side of it, I speak of principles.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By trophyhunter

yep just like PC gameing

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By sjschmidt93

Yeah, probably for everything except Valve games. 

monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By monkeyroach

Dedicated servers are here to stay,if they plan on getting PC sales.Bioshock 2 doesn't need dedicated servers because the multiplayer will be dead by the 2nd week.You will only see Dedicated servers when the multiplayer is the main focus of the game.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By FesteringNeon
@FartyMcNarly said:
"Yep. The biggest problem with PC gaming is the barrier of entry. Since it's safe to assume that everybody is cross-eyed pants-shittingly retarded" 

Sorry, I just had to take that out of context, it made my day.
pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pwnasaurus

um no not at all? who cares about bioshock 2's multiplayed bad company 2 that actually has good multiplayer has servers, servers should stay and those that say anything else has been playing on a console for too long
i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By i69edUrGpa
@pwnasaurus said:
" um no not at all? who cares about bioshock 2's multiplayed bad company 2 that actually has good multiplayer has servers, servers should stay and those that say anything else has been playing on a console for too long "
Nice spelling and grammar, you dumb fuck.
PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By PufferFiz

It was sad to see them not in mw2, but for BFbc2 I think it is a good system. Because I personally do not have the bandwidth to run a server so I would have rented one anyways so that does not seem like a big deal. Could prevent people from having small private matches, But that is not my kind of thing.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Time_Lord

I for one prefer match making to dedicate servers. I like not getting my ass handed to me when ever I play online.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By KingBroly

I prefer servers to matchmaking because I can get into games quicker with servers.  Matchmaking takes forever sometimes whereas with servers, I pick a server and go.  Sometimes it says it's full, but I can usually get into a game in less than a minute.

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fudgeblood
@trophyhunter said:

" yep just like PC gameing "

That's a joke, right?

@Time_Lord said:

" I for one prefer match making to dedicate servers. I like not getting my ass handed to me when ever I play online. "

You know you can have matchmaking AND servers right? Left 4 Dead is a good example of this.

There's really no reason to have "Peer 2 Peer" or listen servers over Dedicated servers. It's laggy, discourages a large and dedicated community and basically stops any form of modding.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By trophyhunter
@Fudgeblood said:
" @trophyhunter said:

That's a joke, right?
nope
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@trophyhunter said:
" @Fudgeblood said:
" @trophyhunter said:

That's a joke, right?
nope "
I sadly agree that for PC gaming, atleast for hard  copies, the end is nigh. Soon the only place to buy games will be online which will be a shame, but it will atleast reduce the amount of pirated content. What were the figures for MW2 on the pc? Like, 4 million copies torrented? that's just too big.
RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RiddleBrother

A better question: Is PC gaming a thing of the past? 

(get on the flame train)

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fudgeblood
@trophyhunter said:
" @Fudgeblood said:
" @trophyhunter said:

That's a joke, right?
nope "
You realize that PC gaming being a thing off the past is a blatant lie, right?
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crunchUK

Matchmaking when done properly is simply the superior system.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By trophyhunter
@Fudgeblood said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Fudgeblood said:
" @trophyhunter said:

That's a joke, right?
nope "
You realize that PC gaming being a thing off the past is a blatant lie, right? "
you do realize that your blind to the failing interests of PC gameing right?
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrKlorox

Some games practically need them. Dedicated Servers are what sold me on the PC version of Bad Company 2. The ability to bookmark specific servers that are quick and filled with regulars who are skilled, friendly, and organized is absolutely fucking golden for such a game that relies on teamwork.

Yes there is playing with friends, but you usually have to mess with lobbying with invitations and those groups tend to be rather closed to outsiders who wanna make new friends. I'd rather buddy up with a location that has interesting users, like I've done with Giantbomb.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@trophyhunter said:
" @Fudgeblood said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Fudgeblood said:
" @trophyhunter said:

That's a joke, right?
nope "
You realize that PC gaming being a thing off the past is a blatant lie, right? "
you do realize that your blind to the failing interests of PC gameing right? "
Broad generalization not based on facts. Outside of BC, MW2, Halo, all other console games multi die as soon as a new game comes out. The fact that I can find a lot of games for UT2k4 even last week, says more about how dedicated pc gamers are than console gamers who have A.D.D. when it comes to "best game ever"
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By trophyhunter
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Fudgeblood said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Fudgeblood said:
" @trophyhunter said:

That's a joke, right?
nope "
you do realize that your blind to the failing interests of PC gameing right? "
Broad generalization not based on facts. Outside of BC, MW2, Halo, all other console games multi die as soon as a new game comes out. The fact that I can find a lot of games for UT2k4 even last week, says more about how dedicated pc gamers are than console gamers who have A.D.D. when it comes to "best game ever" "
No not really there is still tons of people playing older online console games. Hell there is still a ton of people playing warhawk. 
Also let me get this straight.  Your saying that PC gameing is not dieing because PC gamers play one game a lot and not many games? 
If that's what your saying that's really fucking stupid.