Are golf games improving or just getting dumb and unrealistic?

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Astras

Just thought i'd start a discussion on golf games, some of you must of played them either now or in the past.
My personal thoughts are that they reached their pinnacle with PGA golf 2 on the megadrive.. and have since been in freefall into an arcade game.

Heres my review on PGA 2 from the 16bit era, if you do not know what it is..
 http://www.giantbomb.com/pga-tour-golf-ii/61-21954/user_reviews/?review=13319

Tiger woods is horrible.. how can anygame clainming to be a golf simulator allow me to get 28 under par on an 18 hole course and that not be enough to win... how am I able to apply spin to a ball when it is in the air?? etc..etc..

anyway i'm interested in anyone elses views?

cheers

CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

I think golf was dumb in the first place. So these games are even more dumb,and the fact that they're still making them is even more dumb. The fact that they are getting stupidly "realistic" is even MORE dumb. 
Why don't you go to a golf pitch? I don't know, go into the great outside. 
But yeah, anything to do with golf = dumb.
And no i haven't play any golf games on this principle.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By thebatmobile

Golf games have been dying a slow death since the 90's. Can't anyone just put them down, for god's sake?

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Fudgeblood

People still play golf games?

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By ptys

Was this thread sparked by "Tiger 2011" or whatever it's called being a "Playstation. Move" title? I've never been into golf games, but done right!.. that would be sweet!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

I love golf games, but the online part is a little unrealistic. In Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii, I usually shoot around 20 under online and lose quite often. I do like the daily and weekly pros which are a little more realistic, but even then I'm usually 10 to 12 under. That's still not close to the leaders. From what I've read, Tiger Woods will see even more changes for the Wii this year making the game much more challenging.

I've been in the Tiger Woods Online Beta for the PC for a while and it's pretty good. EA has set up more challenging events and they can be pretty rough.

I quit playing the analog cousins of golf, the Wii controls are much more to my liking. But with Move coming out for the PS3, I can see that being lots of fun to control. 

I also can't go back to three click swings. Even with its flaws, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 for the Wii is the best golf game I've ever played. But if you want a challenge, find a copy of PGA Championship Golf 2000. It was the first to incorporate true swing, that game was hard as shit. It was made by Headgate Studios, later bought by EA for the Tiger Woods series.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Astras
@Claude: yea 2000 was a decent golf game, it still didn't quite capture the feel of pga 2 on the megadrive though for me. I just don't think i can handle wasting any more money on the SAME unrealistic tired EA version, I think they need to look back at simulating golf than trying to create a fun style arcade game that just hasn't worked since 2003.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Astras
@ptys: Nope, this thread was sparked by the review I have just written for PGA 2 on the megadrive.. just a golf game that I keep replaying because the most recent games lack to me.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By skrutop

I played Tiger Woods 08 with a friend's kid.  He picked Tiger and was able to hit every single shot without really knowing what he was doing.  So I'd go with unrealistic and dumb.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Here's a video for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 for the Wii. I also read that you will now be able to force your opponent online to play harder setups.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Astras
@Claude: looks good, but the problem I have is the Wii remote, it just doesn't work as it say's on the tin. My nephew got sonic unleashed on the Wii and you have to use the motion sensor and it just does't work.. he is doing nothing wrong with how he is operating the game the controller just adds a random factor in that makes it basically unplayable.
elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By elbon

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Astras

lol that's just hilarious!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive

you apply the spin to the ball when it is in the air simply because there is no accurate way to do it when you hit the ball in the first place- otherwise it would be totally random everytime.... besides, its a game, its meant to be fun.