Are there any games with significant political/social commentary?

• 63 results
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By FourWude

BOMBERMAN HAS YOU BEING THE FUCKING TERRORISTS!!!!

That shit is MAD SUBVERSIVE!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Unknown_Pleasures: 

Abadox is actually a story about humans attempting to free themselves from their own biology and become one with technology. 

Some people give me a hard time about this theory, especially when I tried to use it as the basis of my Abadox fan fiction series.

But they also said rape and cocaine addiction wasn't implicated in the story of the original game. Obviously we're taking about people who fail to read between the lines when shooting space aliens. 
gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By gutterkisser

I can't think of a better overall social commentary than GTA IV. Not the narrative - but the television, radio, internet and society around you. Marketing, greed, exploitive media, vacuous reality shows... smug liberal talkback and a staunchly conservative Republican senator having a secret gay affair. The celebration of banality, Web 2.0's revolution for stupid people, even club culture is handled well.

It's not making a particular statement so much as cynically mirroring modern society - which GTA has always been about, I suppose - but there's a believability to the world in IV that gave that reflection a lot of impact for me. 

Waffling over.

Avatar image for purple_proletarius
Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chirag4 said:

" Check out some indie games;  http://db.tigsource.com/ 
You might be interested in:  

• Everyday The Same Dream
Just finished playing this game, which was interesting enough. Still, I felt the pitfall of the filtered Flash game experience, a lack of choice and subtlety. Still mulling over whether I liked it or not. Apparently someone attempted to make a film adaptation of it, which had mixed results.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By JerichoBlyth

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By endaround
@AngriGhandi said:
" One of the problems with this idea (aside from the fact that most major games are very high-budget, low-risk projects), is that the few games that do attempt to convey deeper messages do so in a way that's largely irrelevant to the actual gameplay. 
Bioshock doesn't actually play like a Randian parable, it plays like System Shock. Metal Gear Solid may be anti-war, pro- "choose life and live" in its themes, but it sure doesn't penalize you much for snapping fifty fuckin' necks.
What will be really interesting is when more designers come up with a way to express the "message" of their games through the rules of the gameplay itself. That's the unique artistic potential that video games represent - the ability to convey a message through rules and consequences. And, to allow you to have an experience of your own, within those rules, at the same time.What's really weird is that Missile Command pretty much did this 30 years ago, and was also a totally awesome game. "
See I think Bioshock did do this.   The entire point was that even though you felt like you had pure free will and it was your decisions you were utlimately not in charge of your own decisions and had no real free will.  Now you could say it used a trick to do this but in many societal convetions are tricks.  Then again taking on Objectivism makes shooting fish in a barrel look hard.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FourWude
@JerichoBlyth:

It's like art mimicking life, mimicking art.

A top secret criminal financial organisation has also hijacked the western governments. Some believe their base to be in Tel Aviv, are you Iranian enough to take them down?

*Family guy face*

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By JerichoBlyth
@FourWude said:
" @JerichoBlyth:

A top secret criminal financial organisation has also hijacked the western governments. Some believe their base to be in Tel Aviv, are you Iranian enough to take them down?

*Family guy face*

"
I see it as a commentary on the Tory/Lib Dem coalition and student riots lol
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FourWude
@JerichoBlyth said:
" @FourWude said:
" @JerichoBlyth:

*Family guy face*

"
I see it as a commentary on the Tory/Lib Dem coalition and student riots lol "

No Caption Provided
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By Jeust

Most works have some degree of social/political commentary, as they have to be based on something familiar. 

Syndicate Wars (the syndicates and passive violence), Starcraft (the shifts of power and politics), Populous (religions), Half-life 2 (the workings of a dystopian society) , Too Human (the effects of technology on humankind), Left 4 Dead (implicitly), GTA (with loads of social commentary), Mass Effect (universal politics in face of impending doom), Star Wars (the opposing Jedi and Sith philosophies, with many tenants embodies by people in society)... 

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Killer 7
Avatar image for anamericanpatriot
AnAmericanPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SammydesinasNL:  

YEAH, AND RED DEAD also had THESE REALLY interesting REFLECTIONS ON THE role of government and POWER, the merits of INDIVIDUALISM, the perception OF EVIL AND honesty, and--like you MENTIONED--the way INDUSTRIALISM BROUGHT in a totally NEW CULTURE. I actually REALLY LOVED those little moments regardless OF HOW UNEVEN they could be (MOSTLY GOOD, but a few too on the nose AND A FEW that felt like shit fucking TEABAGGERS would be parroting). 
prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By prestonhedges
@Gutterkisser said:
" I can't think of a better overall social commentary than GTA IV. Not the narrative - but the television, radio, internet and society around you. Marketing, greed, exploitive media, vacuous reality shows... smug liberal talkback and a staunchly conservative Republican senator having a secret gay affair. The celebration of banality, Web 2.0's revolution for stupid people, even club culture is handled well. It's not making a particular statement so much as cynically mirroring modern society - which GTA has always been about, I suppose - but there's a believability to the world in IV that gave that reflection a lot of impact for me.   Waffling over. "
Smash TV deserves a Pulitzer Prize.