Are we in a 20 year ongoing videogame golden age?

• 105 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Are we in a 20 year ongoing videogame golden age? (219 votes)

Yes 45%
No 55%

Video games in 1994 were awesome.

It is 2014.

I see no gap in this timeline. No industry crash. A constant stream of games that brought with it many gems that have been iterated on to present day (you still play MGS don't you?)

I'll still get excited about a mario game or a zelda game TODAY.

20+ years. golden age. ongoing.

pretty sure I just scientifically proved video games are awesome.

• 
noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#101  Edited By noblenerf
@discoman said:
@noblenerf said:

@itwongo said:

@noblenerf: He was talking cosmetic items. Cosmetics don't affect gameplay in tf2.

Hrm... I'd swear they added full-set bonuses (e.g. two weapons + hat) that affected a character's stats, but looking into it I guess I was mistaken. Give them time.

And you'd be right, but they've removed that rather recently. I'd also say that you'd have to be very dedicated or willing to spend money to remain up to date on weapon load outs alone. I really preferred when you'd just get items from achievements and not crafting/waiting around for them.

Dang, I completely forgot about getting them through achievements. That really legitimized achievements in a good way.

In any clase, glad to know I'm not completely delusional. Thanks for the correction, both of you.

@fisk0 said:

Who'd ever want anything other than the Quake 1 rocket launcher anyway? Other than maybe a complete set of Quake 1 weapons, with that weird blue QTF skin for the medic's axe.

The item I always liked the most was the Pyro's rubber glove hat, followed closely by the Spy's Camera Beard. But then again, I have no Quake nostalgia so that rocket launcher never did anything for me...

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@markm said:

@armaan8014 said:

I've really been loving games continuously for the past decade or so (except maybe 2013) so i'm just gonna be happy and not fight. Games are awesome! :)

YO FUCK YOU GUY

DAMMIT WHY

Mr_croft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The golden age has passed. We are in some kind of " future age or "modern age". Their are so many games out right it is impossible to be bored. Mobile games on tablets have really started to changed. Just look at "republique" for iOS.

Buble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By Buble

I miss arcades. Also I think console gaming peaked with the PS1. I think you can make the argument that Squaresoft alone published better games for the PS1 than the totality of the Gamecube catalog. I don't think we'll ever see another AAA publisher taking risks like that again.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The golden age has past (that was probably early 2000s to 2008 or so)

We're more in a platinum age or something. At this point there's so much market saturation it's insatiable, early access looks to add more saturation to it, and you can play any kind of game you want at any time for the most part.

Most golden age and silver age ideals are talked about in nostalgic terms. It always ignores the fact that nothing was really different except maybe cultural things. There will always be bad games, and good games. There will always be improvements; useful and pointless. There will always be players; casual and playing a lot.

Nothing will be any different about video games 10 years from now and nothing was different from games 10 years ago. The significant changes are improvement- graphically and mechanically- but ultimately games are still games and we still enjoy some and don't enjoy others.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@markm said:

@kidavenger said:

In order for it to be a golden age, there needs to be significant advancements, I think we are in a rut right now; the last major genre to come out was MMOs, and even they haven't really changed much since Everquest came out 15 years ago. Things are good, but not exciting like they were in the 90s.

Fighting games 2012 onward..

2009 onwards.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107  Edited By agentboolen

@markm: nope to many shooters not enough interest for non online games. Lots of gamers have become spoiled and only play 1 online game a year like it's a sport. Most good games have a hard time selling well, most publishers think they can cut and paste multiplayer into there game to make sales but in fact just being a waste of time and money. Oh and let's not forget over priced dlc games like sleeping dogs, Dead or Alive 5 and Tomb Raider having way to much dlc. The fact is this is the beginning of a generation were published try to fool us into giving them money. Remember the good old days where you beat God of War and found you can unlock a bunch of extra skins? Now in Good of War 3 there selling you skins.

I'm not convinced this is a golden age for video games.

For my hate on dlc it should be a celebration for a good game not just away to sell there fans more shit that probably was done before the game was finished. Not all games need dlc just the ones that sell well, but they would rather make it part of the production so they don't need to revisit that game. Not the way I think dlc should be created. Let's not forget how stupid asking for more money for more maps in a game like cod is, it's more fun when everyone has those maps not just a luxury not everyone is going to pay for. The way the industry does dlc takes all the fun out of it.