Are we on a road to no where?

Inverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Inverted

Why the hell does the industry hate PC gamers? I swear to god that things are getting worse and worse every month. Back in the day I felt that my choice to remain PC exclusive was justified by the amount of great games being released at that time (Early 2000's). I've spend countless amounts of funds and man hours on fine tuning my PC too play games but now I feel like I'm waisting my time. 

I don't know if it's the god damn pirates or what, but every multiplatform release that includes PC always ends up in PC gamers getting shafted. Either we get a delayed release, a buggy mess with little to no support post launch or shitty console features that don't work on PC. Operation  Flashpoint 2 on PC is so badly ported  that the multiplayer barely works due to the god awful peer 2 peer system ported from its console counterparts. This news from Infinity Ward regarding the match making system for MW2 just confirms that quality PC games are in rapid decline.  

No Caption Provided

Yesterday I installed Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery) and I ended up playing for 6 hours straight. This game has been 2009's PC Game of the Year for me so far because it hearkens back to the classic era of gaming when things were fun, challenging and didn't hold your hand from start to finish.  My experience with Anno lifted my spirits slightly but god damn am I pissed with the way things are heading.
Inverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Inverted

Why the hell does the industry hate PC gamers? I swear to god that things are getting worse and worse every month. Back in the day I felt that my choice to remain PC exclusive was justified by the amount of great games being released at that time (Early 2000's). I've spend countless amounts of funds and man hours on fine tuning my PC too play games but now I feel like I'm waisting my time. 

I don't know if it's the god damn pirates or what, but every multiplatform release that includes PC always ends up in PC gamers getting shafted. Either we get a delayed release, a buggy mess with little to no support post launch or shitty console features that don't work on PC. Operation  Flashpoint 2 on PC is so badly ported  that the multiplayer barely works due to the god awful peer 2 peer system ported from its console counterparts. This news from Infinity Ward regarding the match making system for MW2 just confirms that quality PC games are in rapid decline.  

No Caption Provided

Yesterday I installed Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery) and I ended up playing for 6 hours straight. This game has been 2009's PC Game of the Year for me so far because it hearkens back to the classic era of gaming when things were fun, challenging and didn't hold your hand from start to finish.  My experience with Anno lifted my spirits slightly but god damn am I pissed with the way things are heading.
indigo_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By indigo_man

its because consumers are so unexpierenced these days that companies try to avoid platforms geared towards a much more dedicated platform with a higher learning curve.
Celegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Celegus

There's still tons of great PC exclusive games out and coming out. I'd easily pick PC over any console, but I guess it just depends on what kind of games you like.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikeeegeee

I agree that things are heading into a bleaker future given current trends, but the library is still substantial and quite worth it. Given the funds, I'd be right with Celegus and be back into PC gaming.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Branthog

PC Gaming is in a death spiral, because the lack of content being generated for the platform deters people from adopting it as a primary gaming system and the lack of adoption as a primary gaming system deters developers from developing for it (or at least developing primarily on it). It seems like there are only a few really good games that come out on the PC every year while consoles have a few good games every month. And for the games that come out on PC, they're often just versions of games that are on every other platform, anyway. I'm at the point where I'm happy to just keep PC gaming for strategy and certain RPGs (CIV IV, for example).

I wish PC gaming was hotter than ever, but i haven't been excited over a PC title in a very long time and I've been a PC-only gamer for about sixteen of the last eighteen years. I think we just have to come to terms with it, though. Hell, the metric system is clearly far superior in every way to Imperial, but I'm not going to go around all day asking for three liters of gasoline and obeying the 104 kph highway speed limit, because there's only so much value to be gained in going against what everyone else has chosen as the way things are to be.

And no, pirates aren't the problem. I think people are more likely to pay ZERO dollars for a game than to pay a few dollars for a shoddy pirated CD-R. However, a related issue is definitely part of the problem. People want FULL control over every aspect of your experience. The same way the music industry would love to be able to wipe your entire music collection away with the flip of a switch on their end and charge every person who sits in a room with you listening to a song for royalties. It's all about taking control and power away from the consumer and giving it to the content producer. That's difficult to do on PC -- especially since previous attempts (like the CPU ID thing years ago) have been met with a lot of controversy. On the console -- it's very easy to do. Plus, you can make more money every few years when you put out the old console's games on the new console through emulation and make suckers pay all over again for it.

Oh - and it seems like more than ever, any game on PC that I hold out a lot of interest for inevitably comes out to reports of massive bugs and other problems. Far more than ever before. So the experience ends up feeling a bit cheap and slighted.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hamst3r

If you want games that hearken back to the classic era of gaming, the indie scene is all you need. There's a large subset of small indie groups that are incredibly obsessed with the classics.

A small group just recently remade Space Hulk. Their version is called Alien Assault.
kojip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kojip
@Hamst3r:
Thanks for the Alient Assault tip. 

We can both keep hoping for the return of the golden age OP, but I think it's going to keep getting worse until you can effectively use your PC on your TV (we're almost there) and until midrange videocards stop costing as much as a PS3. 
Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Ubiquitous

It's a sad state of affairs. I still have hope though, and we still have TF2.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By emkeighcameron

I think things like Steam have slightly lessened the overall decline of PC gaming, but there definitely IS a decline and it sure is saddening to see. I hope that it reverses, because the power and versatility of the PC as a platform, in my mind, is unmatched.

I realize that expense is a huge part of this, because gaming rigs certainly do take much more money, time, and effort to assemble than a console, but it's most certainly worth it if you have the drive.

Avatar image for rectum_abominae
rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rectum_abominae

PC gaming never gets hurt or injured...just heavily modified.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Hmm PC used to be the shit now people just play 360 and PS3 then get the games they dont want to buy, and play on pc for free (warez)

kojip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kojip

For the sake of the darkside, I'm going to argue that the PC is the 21st century muscle car... it's one of the best at what it does, even though it's noisy and inneficient, and there's only a select few willing to take the money and time to assemble a remotely competetive car.  In the mean time you can all rock on in premade German cars or modified Honda lawnmower sound-alikes that get the job done for much less.  We can be part of a dying breed and/or one of many hobbyists who get lumped with rip-off artists and pirates or join the masses of faithful BMW and Audi buyers actually enjoying their cars without taking much if any shit from hobbyists or environmentalists.   

If you didn't understand the metaphor than piss off, I don't have time for you. 

09spade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By 09spade09

We may be, but Chuck Norris is never lost.

Inverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Inverted
@kojip said:
" For the sake of the darkside, I'm going to argue that the PC is the 21st century muscle car... it's one of the best at what it does, even though it's noisy and inneficient, and there's only a select few willing to take the money and time to assemble a remotely competetive car.  In the mean time you can all rock on in premade German cars or modified Honda lawnmower sound-alikes that get the job done for much less.  We can be part of a dying breed and/or one of many hobbyists who get lumped with rip-off artists and pirates or join the masses of faithful BMW and Audi buyers actually enjoying their cars without taking much if any shit from hobbyists or environmentalists.    If you didn't understand the metaphor than piss off, I don't have time for you.  "
Well said in my opinion. Appreciate the input.