AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Listen to me. 

There is a very thin line between someone desperately asking people to boycott something that is impossible to boycott, AND someone who's suggesting a very reasonable boycott that can be done with some will. 
It seems that because the former is usually the case, people mistake the latter for the former aswell. 

All im saying here is, you should think twice before posting the good old "Good luck with that" sort of reply, because its kinda worrying to see that we've submitted to the corporations so much, that we automatically think that the boycott is so imaginary

Again, i dont have the strongest will in the world, and im usually unable to boycott products i enjoy, but i think it's very important for us to discuss a certain boycott and not to always immediately dismiss it.. This is gonna sound like a cheesy cliche, but really : When a bunch of people decide to do something, it can get done, or atleast they can do something about it . 
Seeing everyone go "nope, nope, good luck with that, tell that to him and her" is quite frustrating.. i know we can do better than this

Thoughts ?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I think a lot of people dismiss boycotts not only because they feel other gamers are weak willed but because they themselves don't feel strongly about whatever issue the boycott is protesting against.

I don't think I've ever felt so passionate about any gaming issue that I've actually wanted to really boycott a game or product.  I often won't buy a product day one over a belief like that, or will wait many months...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

People boycott video games for dumb reason. Like that guy that was recently telling people to boycott Blizzard games because Activision publishes them. That's just retarded.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

I say we boycott air.  We are addicted to it, and we need to stop it's control over our lives.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fbomb

If someone's really willing to put in a proper effort to explain why I should boycott, the full effect my boycott will have, and the plan to relay the proper message to those being boycotted, then I might think about it. Someone just making a five minute post about boycotting and hoping it catches on doesn't deserve anyone's support over that of a company that produces things that I want, helps the economy, and provides employment to people who are trying to provide for themselves and their families.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By DanielJW

If it was a serious issue, and people were actually, legitimately going to try and do something about it through boycott, I'd be willing to help. However the majority of boycotts that come up, especially video game related ones, are just dumb. Boycotting against dedicated servers, boycotting against FFXII on the 360, boycotting Shadow Complex because of Orson Scott Card, all of those were stupid, and not enough people actually stuck to their word for it to matter.  

Where's that picture of the "Boycotting Modern Warfare 2" steam group, where half of them were playing Modern Warfare 2? That's the reason why the majority of internet boycotts don't work. Not enough people actually care, and very few people stick to their guns. 

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Kinda pointless to boicott its just games 99% of the time its just to make a ridiculous stand that only hyper nerds care about, and doomsayers I guess.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By iam3green

people say good luck with that because a lot of times he she won't boycott it and end up buying it anyway. 

i boycott DRM it has been going good so far. i now look into games when they are coming out.

Capncrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Capncrunk
I tend to just take issue with game pricing.  In Canada, Crackdown 2 is $69.99   There is no reason this late into this generation that games need to be priced at 69.99  I will happily pay 59.99 and I know it is only 10 bucks, but for myself, its the principle.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Demyx

There hasn't been a boycott that I've actually cared about. But if there ever is one, yeah I"d be willing to actually take it seriously.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By sopranosfan

The problem with boycotting games is the vast majority of purchasers don't come to sites like this and they buy games because it is in their favorite magaizine or a big display at Gamestop.  I don't buy games that I don't agree with my personal philosophy and I encourage all gamers to do the same.  I'm not buying Madden anymore because I think charging a price for powerups is stupid and the funny thing is I don't use them I just think it is a horrible idea.  I won't buy any shooter that wants to charge me a monthly fee because Activision makes a fortune off of COD and cries that they aren't making enough so I will probably be buying Medal of Honor.  These are my choices and I think avoiding products that you don't like their practices are a great idea.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'd boycott if I felt there was a reason to but that is very rare.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

I don't care about anyone's stupid reason to boycott a game. Mostly because 99% of the time it really is stupid.
But if I want that game I'll buy it and enjoy it.
Guess what I'm going to buy both a rockband and a guitarhero game this year and be happy with both.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bluethunder35

It's pretty easy for me to boycott Activision. They don't make any games I care for. I'm not interested in their endless run of Guitar Hero, Call Of Duty and overpriced, peripheral enhanced drek. I'm sick of Bobby Kotick's rhetoric. 

I buy their games used if I have to but, again, nothing they have released or are releasing interests me one bit. 

Boycotts are seen as silly by some but I feel that Activision doesn't care about the industry beyond making money. No "thank you" for supporting them, no extras at no extra cost and threatening to release all their games as standalones ala the Atari Flashback shows nothing but arrogance. 

I also agree with Galactik about $69.99 games. Microsoft, EA and a couple other companies charge $64.99 or $69.99 here in Canada. Of course, that bites them in the ass a few weeks later when their games go on sale for $49.99 because nobody bit. Of course, MS has been overcharging Canadians for years.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demyx

I think there needs to be a used game and rental boycott.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bigsmoke77

I have like 20 days played in MW2 still play it, but will not buy the map packs and i try to avoid supporting 3D movies

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Gamers don't give a shit about anything enough to boycott. The whole gaming industry is built on the premise that gamers are idiots.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
@9cupsoftea said:
" The whole gaming industry is built on the premise that gamers are idiots. "
Quoted for unending truth.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

Boycotts can work when there's an actual reason to boycott something, but who the fuck boycotts a piece of entertainment? Boycott child-labor clothes, or boycott animal tested products, I don't care, but boycotting a damn videogame, for some inane reason, when I could just be enjoying said game is very very stupid. Video games aren't politics, they're both a form of entertainment, and a massive effing business. Surprise! 

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By luce
@ArchScabby said:
" I say we boycott air.  We are addicted to it, and we need to stop it's control over our lives. "
Where do I sign?
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By recroulette

A majority of boycotts end up hurting unintended people and not even hurting the ones they are supposed to.

100 percent of gaming "boycotts" have been a joke. If you can show me one that did what it was supposed to do, I'll gladly change that quote.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

There rarely is a good reason to boycott. Furthermore, one person not buying something doesn't do anything, because thousands of other people will buy the product anyway.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By apoptosis61

no more heroes 1 in europe and japan got boycotted , MORE PIXIE DUST PLX

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Most of the time, the word boycott is thrown around in ways that don't make sense.  Usually, when people say they are "boycotting" a game, it is because there is something with the game that makes them think it won't be as good.  Lack of dedicated servers in MW2 was one, and the idea that the game was a rehash was the big reason for the supposed Left 4 Dead 2 boycotts.  The problem is that if you are not buying a game because you don't think you will like it, then that isn't a boycott.  Using that sort of logic, I have boycotted Nickelback, Twilight, Need for Speed after Most Wanted, most sports games, and comedies starring Adam Sandler filmed after Happy Gilmore.  Most boycotts are just people who are vocal about not liking something, while a boycott is when you refuse to buy something you actually really want or need to prove a point.

Refusing to buy the cheaper clothing because it is made by Indonesian children is a boycott.  Refusing to buy a video game because you don't like something about it is simply not buying something, nothing more.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mazik765

Did I miss something? What are we boycotting? Or was this post just to encourage boycotting in general?

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Three0neFive

I still have not even played MW2.

In the case of non-essential things like games, absolutely. If we were talking about, say, a chain of grocery stores or a postal service, then it's a different story entirely.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lawrens

I never have to boycott anything, I buy them at whatever price I think the game is worth, if I don't like it, then I just won't pay a penny.  

I'd never buy DLCs though. I never have, and I never will.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Boycotting requires planning and math. 

Why not just set a building on fire instead?

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By tmthomsen

I'm only boycotting boycotts.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mcfart
@ArchScabby said:
" I say we boycott air.  We are addicted to it, and we need to stop it's control over our lives. "
Those people usually don't live very long.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Just mac products.

skavanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By skavanker
@ArchScabby said:
Good luck with that!
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shadow
@ArchScabby said:
Yeah, and what makes food think it can monopolize the industry on what we eat?  Monopolies ruin society.  By having no competition, they can charge whatever they want and we have no choice but to go there for what they provide because there is no alternative.  I can't tell you how much money I've wasted on food because there was nothing else good to eat.  NO MORE, I SAY!  From this day forward, I shall boycott it and only eat non-food until food gets its act together.  Who's with me!?
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By Castiel
@ArchScabby said:
Im with you man and starting from 3... 2... 1 

I'll just type along as I hold my breath and so far I'm doing good. 

What a relief not having to breath, think of all the energy your saving by not having to breath in and out ALL the time. 

Phew this feels good, though I'm starting to feel a little ligthheaded too, but it's probably just a part of the WAUW the rooms spinning. 

Look at all the pretty colors,,. hihi hi elephant did you see the purple bananaman too AWESOME hihihihi 

Urg I don't feel too well... I'm seeing double but it's probably nothing... just have to walk it off 

Oh no this can't be good, getting the shakes now... sweating like a pig, I don't feel my legs... starting to get numb 

Jezz this keyboard iuyh b mus t replui nov u.vcblshoef....................................................................................................
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bhhawks78

At least in video game land every "boycott" has been nothing but hilarious nerd rage, usually over nonsense.  Personally I base my decisions on if I think things are worth the money/I might like the game, I don't give a shit if their ceo loves puppies or makes silly pictures with a guitar.  Their goal is profits either way no matter how much your nerd rage blinds you.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like gamers to boycott dlc this gen until the publishers lowered the prices...

I am personally disgusted that a map pack at 15$ sells more copies than an original IP game like for example Blacklight, Deathspank, Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers etc...

Unfortunately its the majority of consumers than determine the pricing of software and the majority is quite frankly ignorant.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bionicicide

Just buy the game used for a game you want but don't like the ethical practices that went behind said game.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By nicolenomicon

I'll buy something if I want to buy it, simple as that.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Unless a game or product affected me personally, which would take a lot, I will never boycott either of the two.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By c1337us

I wouldn't bother to boycott anything.

taintmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By taintmachine

the l4d2 boycott was mostly a failure from my pov.  i'm not sure how many people bought the game when they said they wouldn't, but it seemed like a lot.  the founders of the steam group halted their involvement with the boycott when they actually saw and played the game, claiming the boycott wasn't needed anymore due to the quality of the game.

personally, i didn't plan on buying the game and joined the boycott group for various reasons.  then it got gifted to me a couple of months ago!  so i ended up with it anyway.  i  can't say i wish i had bought it myself, despite having loved the first one and logging 100+ hours into it, and i'm not sure why one of the group leaders found it so impressive.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, I know in my town it'd be pretty easy to boycott the BP gas station, but the place seems as busy as ever, even with other stations in town (and the others are actually more accessible and closer to the center of the town).  

I boycott lots of things though. Like Xbox Live Gold. I refuse to pay when Sony allows me to play against other people for free. And I assure you that if enough people boycotted it, they'd stop making people pay for it. But nobody does, they just keep on paying. I also do my best to boycott GamtStop, but every once in a while there will be some obscure game that other stores won't carry, like Deadly Premonition (and I'm not a big fan of buying things online). 

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I've been boycotting Activision ever since they tried to stop Double Fine releasing Brutal Legend (I love Double Fine), of course that's not a very hard thing to do considering I don't really care about any of the games they publish (except for Blizzard's games, but I like to think of them as separate entities... even though I know they aren't). But then my version of boycotting is that I won't spend my own money on it, if someone bought me an Activision game I'd gladly accept it (who doesn't like free things? besides, you know... diseases). 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BraveToaster

The best way to "boycott" a video game (or company) is to refuse to purchase the merchandise. Petitions and parading around won't have much effect, it's amusing but that's about it. 
 I've never felt the need to boycott a game. I don't care if a company is evil, I'm buying the game regardless.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By penguindust

It depends on what I am boycotting, why I am boycotting it and whether or not I think the boycott will create real change in the policies of that company.  Sometimes business models adapt in ways we don't like, and people demand a boycott until something more favorable is applied.  But, what's past is in the past and no amount of wishing will restore those old policies.  Changes were made for a reason.  Sometimes we need to just suck it up and accept it or go home. 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By zeforgotten

Never had a reason to boycott anything, especially not games. 
Why should I prance around like a moron when I actually enjoy games? o.O

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#47  Edited By beargirl1
@ZeForgotten said:
" Never had a reason to boycott anything, especially not games. Why should I prance around like a moron when I actually enjoy games? o.O "
people like to complain and feel important ; ;
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bhhawks78
@BergDK said:
"

I would like gamers to boycott dlc this gen until the publishers lowered the prices...

I am personally disgusted that a map pack at 15$ sells more copies than an original IP game like for example Blacklight, Deathspank, Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers etc...

Unfortunately its the majority of consumers than determine the pricing of software and the majority is quite frankly ignorant.

"

That map pack is for people who play that game 5-6 days a week hours at a time.  For them it's great deal.  Everyone else not so much.  Dealwithit.jpg  Unless it says 10$ then charges 15 when you click yes quit your belly aching and get the fuck off my lawn.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zeforgotten
@AjayRaz said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" Never had a reason to boycott anything, especially not games. Why should I prance around like a moron when I actually enjoy games? o.O "
people like to complain and feel important ; ; "
Hahahahaha. 
That was a good one, dude :P 
Important 'falls off the chair'
thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thebatmobile

I've boycotted a brand of shampoo because I find the actress in their commercial annoying.

Fuck you, Pernilla Wahlgren.