Are you still playing (and enjoying) online multiplayer FPS after 2014?

• 83 results
huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Poll Are you still playing (and enjoying) online multiplayer FPS after 2014? (318 votes)

Yes 59%
No 41%

So, I have recently come to the conclusion that I just cannot play any of the online shooters that I have anymore. I have Battlefield 4, Advanced Warfare, Titanfall, Halo MCC, and Destiny and I cannot bring myself to play any of them in a pvp setting for more than an hour (before realizing i'm wasting my time and becoming angry). I don't know what the exact reason for this is, because I used to play these type of games non-stop. Now, I worded that last sentence carefully as I didn't want to imply that I always enjoyed myself while playing them, but I did enjoy them more than I am now.

I guess what I wanted to ask is if ya'll are still playing them and why you enjoy them. I try to play them constantly and I have just given up. I can play Destiny and Halo MCC from time to time and have a good time, but it's getting more and more rare by the week. It's to the point where I pop a disc in and hope to god that I don't end my session pissed off. Sometimes I leave after a good match as to not sully them by unluckily having a bad follow-up match.

I almost wondered if I was just getting too old (26) to fully enjoy them, but that simply cannot be the case because I can still go back and play Halo 3 and CoD 4 and have so much fun. Are these newer shooters just not well-balanced or well thought out or am I missing something? Part of me thinks they are just throwing too much in them. Boosting, dashing, vehicles everywhere, countless killstreaks, etc. are just ruining the flow of the game for me. It makes me too paranoid, as there are too many things to worry about rather than just the other players now. Anyways...

Why are you, or are you not, playing online fps?

• 
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

How old is Jeff? He played tons of Advanced Warfare online. You say you're 26. Draw conclusions. Age is just almost never a reason for liking anything. There are 60 year olds who love children's cartoons.

But yeah, I still play Destiny. Sort off. Not daily anymore, but I still enjoy playing it. Though you do not need to play a game daily to truly enjoy it do you?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

Despite being a complete clusterfuck at a launch, Battlefield 4 has grown into a pretty spectacular video game. Technically, I haven't played it it "after 2014", but I probably will. Sure, the ridiculously strong aim assist in BF4 is infuriating for aim assist disablers such as myself, but blasting some cocky chopper pilot out of the air with an unguided rocket never gets old.

I recommend trying to play the games differently. Rush has been my favorite Battlefield mode since it's introduction as Gold Rush in Bad Company. Unfortunately, DICE blew it big time with this mode in BF4 by increasing the player count. The limited number of objectives focus player activity into the areas around the MCOM. This results in a high player density in those areas, and therefore, a high-stress game. I hated BF4 while I was playing Rush, so I figured I'd go back to the old classic, Conquest. More objectives in more open spaces means there is less pressure on the player throughout matches in this mode. I started to enjoy the game much more once I switched over to the less focused game mode.

In short, try mixing things up a little.

kidzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I am not playing any of the games you mentioned, I am pretty deep into CS:GO and I continue to enjoy my time with it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'm not and I'm pretty sure I know why. Progression systems. I'm a pretty good player. If all players are on an equal footing then I would expect to come out on top or close to it. With progression systems and load-outs (and losing streaks and power plays and so on) there is no even footing. The game designers have built an uneven playing field. Now, if I kill someone it's because I have an unfair advantage over them, if they kill me it's because they had a handicap assisting them. Why bother playing when there is no even competition anymore? It's why I think Dota might be the game for me. It's about skill in employing a deep variety of strategies and execution. That's what competition is about.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I mean, I still play CSGO, but do I enjoy it? I don't honestly know.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

I'd enjoy them a hell of a lot more if they added the gore from Quake III into Quake Live.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bane122

Actually, 2014 is the year I got back into MP shooters.

I had gotten tired of them back around 2011 or so and stopped, figuring I was just done with them. But after a friend got me to try the Last of Us mp (I hated Uncharted's mp so it took some serious convincing) I picked it up and really got into it. I was absolutely terrible at it but still had fun. Such a great way to do competitive mp.

LoU lasted a couple of months before the Fall releases grabbed my attention but now Advanced Warfare has taken up most of my gaming time. Black Ops was the last CoD I played and the new mechanics, combined with my extended break from the genre, has really made shooting online exciting again.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I play FPS games, but in recent years I have moved away from the CoDs and BFs of the world and transitioned into games like Insurgency and ArmA III.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrFlapjack

I had this issue while jumping into MCC. I haven't played an FPS regularly in quite some time, but couldn't pass up the nostalgia. My previous enjoyment of the Halo series came from playing with my brother and constantly winning. My skills now, however, have deteriorated greatly and it's very depressing so I've moved on to other genres.

(Not to mention that MCC is still borked.)

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I recently bought and got hooked on Battlefield 3 and 4, so yyyyyup. Last multiplayer FPS I had this much fun in was Soldier of Fortune 2. (the only multiplayer I really pushed myself in and got good at)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was pretty done a while ago, with Halo: Reach being my last big dedicated game (though I've dabbled in MCC).

This was until I played the Halo 5 beta. Something about it just feels right, and I'll be all done until that game releases and I spend dozens and dozens of hours with it.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: Yeah I think this is definitely one aspect of today's shooters that really bothers me - the progression systems. I admit that it sometimes gets its hooks into me, but for the most part it just ends in frustration. I love being able to choose my own weapon going in, but I would much rather spawn similarly to 'all BR' matches in Halo 3 - everyone has a weapon and can compete, but you can definitely get the upper hand if you work hard enough to control the power weapons/map. The Assault Rifle starts are a different story...

@alexw00d: See, I ask myself that all of the time. Am I actually having fun? I know competition is a part of our culture, and I do enjoy it, but with video games I just don't know. It reminds me of the Jonathon Blow speech at one of the conferences where he talked about multiplayer shooters and how they aren't actually fun.

@csl316: I can definitely get some Halo in and have a good time. I still get frustrated, but mainly when the matches are AR spawn matches or my team is terrible.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Justin258

Counter Strike, dude.

rentacop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing CS since early in the 00s and never gotten bored of it yet. In fact with the skins and MM in csgo I'm having more fun than I ever did in the past. Can't really get into Halo, CoD, BF, or other big shooter franchises but CS has me by the balls.

chatmonchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By chatmonchies

Been playing CS:S since ~06', still enjoying it.

Haven't played much else: CoD1, CoD4, and various Battlefields. If you like Counter Strike, there is no need for another FPS in your life!

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to, but not played any much recently. If someone handed me the new CoD I'd probably jump into that though. I've had CS installed for a bit but no motivation to play it, but its a solid game when the rounds are fast, so is TF2.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By huntad

@believer258: I played a crap ton of CS 1.5 and 1.6. I honestly think it's my most played game behind WoW. I don't have a PC to run it, though. I really liked the CS games I named, but Source really killed a lot of enthusiasm I had for the game. I have it on 360, but it's obviously terrible when compared to the PC version ... and just terrible in general, lol.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I've been having a fucking blast with Advanced Warfare since it was released. Maybe it's because my reflexes haven't really deteriorated, but I'm still as good at those types of games as I was when they first became popular.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impartialgecko: Mine really haven't either. I can still snipe like nobody's business, and have pretty good aim. I know this when I play CoD4 and I get my killstreaks multiple times a match, or when I play Halo and my BR and Sniper shots are spot on. My problem with the game (CODAW) is when you are killed from behind extremely often because the of the spawns and jetpacks. The spawns change more rapidly than ever due to the increase in speed and mobility. I specifically have a problem with the mobility options paired with the P2P connections and killstreaks. I have tried constantly to have fun in Advanced Warfare, but it's very difficult to play that game and remain calm. How fast is your internet connection?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huntad: Generally awful. I'm in Australia and our internet is legendarily poor. However, since I learned the value of playing conservatively in response to all the acrobatic nonsense I've been able to compensate for my tendency for being shot in the butt.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The Crucible is the only thing I play in Destiny now. Still finding it a lot of fun.

lachrymoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You sound depressed OP.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Playing any game is in reality a waste of time. That doesnt remove the fact that playing games is fun.

Games like all hobbies are intended as ways to pass time. The same thing applies to movies, books, sports and so on.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It kinda sounds like you're just not very good at them? I don't mean that in an aggressive or condescending way (like a HAHA YOU SUCK I'M BETTER THAN YOU LOLBAD or anything), just that nothing has changed at all, really; the games are as they have been for the last decade. If you're good, or at least feel yourself getting better, you'll generally have fun; if not, there needs to be some other reason for you to keep playing (progression systems like Modern Warfare, Destiny, or TF2 are the most obvious answer to that).

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zella

Never really got that into an fps multiplayer until Destiny so I'm having no problems there. I casually played from BF3 and 4 online but never got invested in it.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Battlefield 3 on PC dawg... I don't need these new shooters.. I'm good with older GOOD shooters!

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By TreeTrunk

I recommend you try the modded maps in counter-strike (either Source or GO) such as JailBreak, Minigame or even Zombies.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I took all these screen shots (and many more) during my play sessions.

Just last night I was playing Jailbreak, and we as the Terrorists were ordered to go somewhere in the map which I didn't know where it was so I was just following all the other T's. About half of the group broke off so I had to decide which half of the group to follow, I ended up following the group that broke into the gun room so I had no choice but to rebel. Almost all of that group of T's died except me and 2 others, and all the CT's died except 3 of them in the fire-fights that ensued. The warden was still alive and resorted to telling the rebellers that if we crouch walk without a primary gun to the original ordered area then we would not be shot. I saw one Terrorist go to the area with guns blazing and was promptly killed, so I dropped all my guns and started crouch walking. While the CT's were looking at me, the last rebelling T came from the side and killed the two remaining CT's.

Another funny moment was when the Warden ordered the T's to the Toilets for 'Talent Day' and called us out one by one and asked us to show our talents. If the CT's like your talent you'll live, if not you'll die. Most of the people just told jokes but one guy said his talent was teaching people how to build bookshelves and proceeded to play the audio of a youtube video that teaches how to build bookshelves through his mic. He got shot quickly.

So yeah play Jailbreak.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play Arma 3 and BF4 is pretty much what I do these days, after about 10 years of online shooters I'm still OK with them.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DonPixel

@hurricaneivan29 said:

Battlefield 3 on PC dawg... I don't need these new shooters.. I'm good with older GOOD shooters!

pfff, I re downloaded BC2 a week ago, that's the real deal.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still dabble with them, wish i were better at them but hey there's little im good at anyway so whatever. Also i am a bit older than 26.

Last time i was largely into an FPS was TF2. I was OK at demo.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

2014 was the best year for FPS games in a long time....

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Some of my most memorable online shooter memories of late were ironically Destiny whose online PVP I found oddly really enjoyable, and the cooperative mode of the Syndicate reboot. I can't really remember anything else that held my attention and I haven't bought an FPS with a primary focus on multiplayer in a while. When I was younger I grew up and reveled in multiplayer only games like Counter Strike, Enemy Territory or Team Fortress. With the passing of time I found myself enjoying a well told and presented story above player-vs-player action.

In a way I suppose it has something to do with my limited amount of free time. Rather than mindlessly run around and shoot other players I'd prefer to spend my evenings experiencing new and unique content. Not that there is anything wrong with mindless multiplayer, nor should the adjective "mindless" be read as a negative connotation. Destiny proved that I still enjoy a bit of running and gunning. If I had to choose between one and the other, as in multiplayer or a narrative driven experience - I'd probably choose the story. To each their own and all that of course.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played more hours of PVP shooters this year (almost all of which was Destiny) than I have since I was a teenager. I am 25.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco
@ripelivejam said:

Still dabble with them, wish i were better at them but hey there's little im good at anyway so whatever. Also i am a bit older than 26.

All of you talking about reflexes going down after a certain age scare me... say it ain't so... not this early...

Edit: oh, you're older than 26... whew. 29 is the age I see as prime for anything

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zefpunk

So burnt out on FPS games that I am taking an extended break. Probably the next one I will buy will be the new DOOM, whenever that comes out. Perhaps you are just burnt out like me. Sounds like you have played a ton of FPS style games, after a while they can just get old.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@hurricaneivan29 said:
@ripelivejam said:

All of you talking about reflexes going down after a certain age scare me... say it ain't so... not this early...

Edit: oh, you're older than 26... whew. 29 is the age I see as prime for anything

I don't know how much of a noticeable affect that really has until you're in the range of elderly. Sure, maybe you can't be a pro level CS player after a certain point, but I don't think the average person will notice a huge drop off in skill until you are genuinely old. Jeff still seems pretty good at shooters and he's pushing 40. I know 25 isn't old, but I feel like I'm a much better FPS player now than when I was in high school.

Being good at shooters isn't even all about reflexes anyway, I value situational awareness and smart tactical decision making over raw aiming skill by a wide margin.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you should try something more realistic and gritty. I used to like those games too, but lately they've become very boring compared to things like Insurgency. The longer you have to wait after dying, the more death matters, the more tactically you play. It's simple but effective.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I clicked no then realised I keep playing CS:GO. So yes.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dabble in CS:GO from time to time. I'm in my mid-30s so my reflexes aren't sharp as the young pups. I just go into a game knowing I'm not going to do very well, and as long as it's still fun I'll keep doing it. If nothing else I'm meat armor for my team!

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hurricaneivan29 said:
@ripelivejam said:

I don't know how much of a noticeable affect that really has until you're in the range of elderly. Sure, maybe you can't be a pro level CS player after a certain point, but I don't think the average person will notice a huge drop off in skill until you are genuinely old. Jeff still seems pretty good at shooters and he's pushing 40. I know 25 isn't old, but I feel like I'm a much better FPS player now than when I was in high school.

Being good at shooters isn't even all about reflexes anyway, I value situational awareness and smart tactical decision making over raw aiming skill by a wide margin.

This... setting yourself up for success is the best route to not dying... if you don't get yourself in equal combat situations, you don't have to use combat prowess... it's kinda like Sun Tzu said, best way to win a battle is to win without an actual "fight." Genghis Khan did this very well; he posed as a christian to stroll into cities as a "friend," discretely destroyed all technology and weapons, and claimed the city... that or he would just scare the living daylights out of cities into surrendering before he even flexed his forces haha oh man... "hardcore history" podcast, guys; I highly recommend it.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I had a lot of fun with Titanfall, Battlefield 4, The Master Chief Collection, Destiny and the Halo 5 beta last year. That being said I don't find myself going on the same kind of binges as I did back when I was a teen. I've always enjoyed a nice singleplayer experience more than multiplayer, but I did have great times playing games like SOCOM, Halo 2, Rainbow Six: Vegas and GRAW on a clan-level back in the day. I couldn't really see myself committing myself to any game on that level anymore, but I still enjoy FPS games online on a very casual level.

Part of the reason why I don't find myself drawn that intensely towards any multiplayer experience is because my friends have stratified over various systems and games.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Reinstalled Left 4 Dead 2 again recently and am enjoying it. You still occasionally get into a game with an asshole player or two, but I don't bother sticking around if that's the case.

But the gameplay is so fast and smooth, and being co-op is also a plus. Yup, I still love it.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I honeymoon with CS:GO every once in a while and still find it enjoyable. I'll usually play with some folks I play regularly with which makes it a lot more fun. Online shooters just aren't as great if you're not playing with the same people, on the same server, etc. I barely ever play shooters online if I'm not playing with people I want to play with.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OGJackWagon69

There was like a year or two where I kind of fell off them too, but last year with titanfall and Advanced warfare (which has been the first call of duty to hook me since mw2) and finnaly having a good pc so I can play counter strike properly, I've gotten back into them

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By regularassmilk

Yes. In the same way I like to have a concrete driving game or fighting game or open world game when I get a new console, this is now a necessary thing for me. Long gone are the massive sessions of just playing Call of Duty matches (or some other similar game), but I still like having AW around. I know it's a good game. It's like comfort food. When I'm done with all the other games, I can still shoot teenagers in the head on the internet.

I actually ended up picking AW on week 1 for the express purpose of replay value, but actually haven't touched it a lot after I beat the campaign. THAT BEING SAID, I am currently playing through Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Infamous Second Son, Alien Isolation, Far Cry 4, and Shadow of Mordor. On top of that, I'm working, and I'm a dad.

Which is to say I played like an hour of Mordor this week and maybe three of Far Cry. I've been having an especially hard time sitting down this week.

By the way, being 26 is hardly too old for anything. My dad got into these games while he approached 40, Jeff was/is hella into AW....maybe you're just where we all were after the release of ghosts and AW/Titanfall didn't grab you?

If you say you had previously been playing these games non-stop, maybe you're still just super fatigued. Detox, and play something else, or just don't play at all for a while. I took like two whole years away from gaming when I first met the woman who would become my wife and the mother of my son, and I came back this July like a monster. Now I'm writing about video games everyday, playing games, listening to podcasts, reading...it's became that giant pillar in my life again. Take a break!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not enjoyed a FPS since Timesplitters 3. Sure they're fun but they're just not...just not that. Little to no story, insane multiplayer that resorts to quickscope and flying knife tackles and a severe lack of cool weapons. I know it's a shooter but I want things like the Cerebral Bore and Timesplitter's many guns back.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Noooope. Nothing in the genre is grabbing me at the moment. I was into Destiny for a while, but eeeeeeeeeh, I dunno. Just sorta...stopped.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still enjoy the odd game of Destiny PVP here and there. I don't really have any other go-to online multiplayer games at the moment (let alone FPS), I tend to be more of a single-player gamer anyway. If I had an Xbone I'd probably be playing a bunch of the Master Chief Collection.

Not an FPS, but I did enjoy getting into The Last of Us Remastered's multiplayer after never touching it on the PS3, but I haven't played that for a while - like I said, I'm typically not one for online multiplayer.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I just picked up Advanced Warfare after not having played any fps for about 11 months. Thats my secret, I go cold turkey for up to a year. I'm good at the games now...not great or super...but I hold my own. So I just tske time off and that recharges my batteries.

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah I do!

I played Unreal Tournament 99 a few days ago and it's still awesome.