Average (or just plain bad) games you like?

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Goly

I remember loving fighting force, mainly because I don't remember many beat em ups for the PS1, and I love that genre since I first played Streets of Rage. I thought Fighting Force was great, and as a kid I always saw it as kind of like a 3D Streets of Rage. The levels were varied and you could take different routes, and you could beat it in an afternoon, which was great to me and my friends because sometimes we just felt like beating it as fast as we could after coming back from school.

I'd like to hear your opinions, maybe I'll find some hidden gems here.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

Fighting Force was indeed awesome. Flawed, but awesome.

Did you know that it originally was Streets of Rage 4?

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur
Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Mariek430

I will to this day play any Dynasty Warrior game. I don't mind bad JRPGs either if it can fill that need to level up and get more swords to kill even bigger cliched enemies.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#5  Edited By Dimsey

I'm pretty fond of Rumble Roses. Ahem. Yeah. It's bad. But good. But bad.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By BunkerBuster

Don't judge me too harshly but I loved 50 Cent's Blood on the Sand. Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back inside my cave.
Oh and Mirror's Edge, I loved the shit out of that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047
deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@BunkerBuster said:
" Don't judge me too harshly but I loved 50 Cent's Blood on the Sand. Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back inside my cave. Oh and Mirror's Edge, I loved the shit out of that game. "
Mirror's edge was supposed to be bad? That game was damn awesome. I played it on the PC though, don't know how it was on consoles.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b65f243818c0
deactivated-5b65f243818c0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked "Final Fantasy XII"; pretty divisive game, from what I hear. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's not thought of fondly by many fans of the series.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By evanbrau

I play and enjoy Dynasty Warriors games. I have no idea why.

Yeloow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yeloow

Blue Dragon on X360 wasn't bad.. sure didn't meat expectations but still alright game..

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By vager

I absolutely love White Knight Chronicles and I normally can't stand JRPGs. 
It's one of the Top 3 games for me in this generation and it is also happens to be the lowest rated game I own. 
Man, I'm so glad I took that huge risk and bought the game.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#13  Edited By Jazz

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 1&2. 
Awful, Awful games....but they have Domon Kasshu in them.

Avatar image for spacebutler256-DEFUNCT
SpaceButler256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpaceButler256

Force Unleashed.  The qt events are insanely bad on the pc, sometimes repeating 10 times before it'll recognize the keystroke which has to be a very precise interval before the prompt, you can't really aim where you throw things with any consistency, and the fixed camera angles for boss fights are ridiculous.  The Star Destroyer sequence is also the most frustrating moment I've had in a game aside from when I quicksaved while falling to my death and had to replay half of an fps to get back to that spot.  Still, there are some really awesome moments and it just looks right, making it a lot of fun somehow.

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Glak

Too Human and Mercs 2 I liked, they were stupid but fun
The Lost game I liked, even though it was sorta crappy, must be the fanboy in me

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think it's not very accurate to say what is and isn't a bad game, differs per player I suppose.

I liked Viking: Battle for Asgard, Turok (X360), The Darkness and some other games others never even (dared to) touch.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EthanML

I kind of enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery, even though it's kind of bad and I totally hated it at first.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RE_Player1

Sonic Adventure 2 and Mirror's Edge. SA2 had a lot of problems but I have fond memories playing it on my gamecube with my brother and I got Mirror's Edge for $15 and it was a good adrenaline rise at times, wouldn't have been the case if I bought it at full price though. 

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Killerfridge

I love the Way Of The Samurai series, which no-one seems to play.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ATrevelan

I LOVE the Untold Legends game for the PS3. It's like a prettier version of BG: Dark Alliance. I'm also a big fan of games like Deus Ex: Invisible War, which got a lot of flak for not being the same game as its predecessor.

Most recently, I totally shat on Lost Planet 2 when it was released, but I've come to appreciate it more and more as time goes on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hero_swe

...I liked Path of Neo
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By danielkempster

My contribution to the thread is Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII. Sure, it was a pretty generic shooter, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to play. Plus, its visual style is incredible.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Guyzea said:
" The Punisher for XBOX, it's a lot like Max Payne but without the bullet time. I has an interrogation mechanic that's pretty gory/brutal but it's just plain fun to execute people in the face.

"
you call that game average? whats the world coming to..
allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By allenibrahim

Just Cause 2, at least the missions, are consdered mediocre by many, but I love that game. 

Avatar image for passivekaerenai
PassiveKaerenai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PassiveKaerenai

I actually kinda loved Enter the Matrix. 

God knows why.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Slurpelve
@Dimsey said:
" I'm pretty fond of Rumble Roses. Ahem. Yeah. It's bad. But good. But bad. "
me too
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bhhawks78

Deadly premonition, I legit loved that game, it's only good if you get into the story + get the overpowered weapons...if not? Would suck haha.

MrChuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrChuckles

Too human would be the first that comes to mind. 

Oh, and inb4 MW2.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpiralStairs
@bhhawks78 said:
" Deadly premonition, I legit loved that game, it's only good if you get into the story + get the overpowered weapons...if not? Would suck haha. "
Yeah, that's the only game I can think of. Although I beat it and I never used a single weapon that didn't have unlimited ammo. Had I known how powerful the revolver was I could have saved a lot of time >__>.

I used to like the Disney game on the PS1 (102 Dalmatians, Toy Story 2, a Bug's Life) and Lego Island 2, but I was dumb kid, I probably wouldn't have any fun if I were to play them today.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By one_2nd

I don't buy lowly rated games, so I wouldn't have any of these. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been done before. 

But OT: True Crime:Streets of L.A.  

Actually, I might play that right now.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MysteriousBob

I too am a fan of Dynasty Warriors. Although I haven't played any of them in years.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#34  Edited By Yummylee
C-12: Final Resistance for the PS1. Supposedly just a cash in to expand the PS1's ending lifespan just by a few months, but regardless I had tons of fun with it.
applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By applet0n

50 Cent: Blood on the Sands is one of the best games I've ever played. I love it.

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mattjam3000
Starship Troopers - It was not the best made game, but all i wanted to do was kill tons of bugs, and it most certainly provided
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By warxsnake

star wars rebellion

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By lead_farmer

I think it was that Die Hard game.  The one for the Saturn.  Don't know why but I liked it.

Also, Dynasty Warriors.  Ma Chao was a beast.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#39  Edited By Vinchenzo

Dynasty Warriors (Lu Bu) and the spin-offs. 

Really they're not just average or bad, they're excellent. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a tool.

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

The Best Unloved or Unknown Games

My list of the best games that either no one played or were generally disliked by the mainstream gaming community.  

At this time, not ranked in order. 

Comments welcome.

1. Rally Cross

A first generation PSX game, the physics in this are simply amazing. Few games have ever replicated the balance between finesse and brute force. Add in very competitive, short track events, crazy cars, and varied, balanced tracks, and you have a real winner. On top of that, the physics allowed for some insane crashes. I still play this game at least once a month.

2. Mario Andretti Racing

This game had some rather simple gameplay, bland cars and tracks (except for the fairgrounds F1 track) and horrid sound. But it also had some excellent features that were way ahead of its time. With three modes and three different types of cars (sprint, stock, and F1) each with their own unique attributes. The sprint cars had a simple but somewhat deep power slide system, the stock cars were all about drafting and racing dangerously close, while the F1 cars actually required learning a racing line (rare in a Genesis era game). Throw in an upgrade system, a full career mode, and two player cooperative career progression, and you have a deep racing game.

3. General Chaos

A cross between Worms and those green Army men games. Many people say this actually plays something like Fat Princess. This game was terrible, however, as a single player game. Poor micro management just really isn't fun. But as a multiplayer game there are few that can compare. Especially the Co-op. With more than one person at the controls, the insanity is full on. Additionally, there was a sort of pause trick, whereby pausing the game the would halt the action, but any live bombs or missiles would complete their arc and detonate. Thereby a grenade user could score unlimited hits with repeated pausing, but inevitably you would also do it, say, when your teammate had taken a dip in the water, causing him to drown and scream at you.

4. Grandia

I am actually hearing that this game is becoming more and more of a cult classic, but at the time it came out I don't think anyone played it. Nonetheless, it had an awesome story line and interesting, if somewhat broken, character progression. Also, on screen enemies and a very active battle system were welcome additions.

5. Tom and Jerry: Frantic Antics

Although the action was really slow, this game had some nice co-op platforming and some great levels. I think this may be one of the last "classic" side scrolling platform games released. It had that sort of really stereotypical, but also terribly endearing, art design.

6. SimCity 3000

This is the red-headed stepchild of the Sim City series. While nothing is really "bad" about the game, it was totally unloved by critics and Sim City fans. The first sim city is a classic, Sim City 2000 is what the first should have been, and Sim City 4 has all the features you could ever want, but in between is this guy. Still, this game was a notable step up from Sim City 2000 in terms of graphics and music. Additionally, this is where the series began the "sphere of influence" model for NIMBY and landmark buildings. Also, things like neighbor deals, high tech industry, farms, and real terraforming all were developed at this stage.

7. Command & Conquer: Red Alert - Retaliation

C & C is a huge PC franchise, but Red Alert - Retaliation actually made a decent transition to the PSX. The maps were large enough to try different things on, but small enough to manage with a controller. Also, good use of the shoulder buttons as hotkeys increased playability. Finally, the 105 skirmish maps meant you could always fire this game up for 30 minutes of war fun.

8. Theme Park

I couldn't find the PSX version of this, but that is what I am referring to here. This game was pretty bad in terms of basic issues like interface and core concept, but for some reason there was nothing more fun than putting in a full money cheat and building absurd roller coasters.

9. Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar

Quite possibly the most generic side scrolling shoot em up ever, it also offered players no direction whatsoever in terms of weapon use and strength, enemy hitbox detection, or even level goals. There were so many enemies that you never seemed to be able to kill, some that you never seemed to even damage, but then one day you would miraculously clear a level. As bad as this game was, my entire family, including my father and mother, played the heck out of it.

10. Sports Talk Baseball

One of the first sports games to feature commentary. Terrible graphics, only three stadiums, and few options. (The only season was 21 games long, but you had to play a three game set to save.) You could really mess with the announcer by changing the infield depth or getting in run downs. Infield in! Infield Back! Infield Normal! So bad, but so good.

11. John Madden Football '92

This game was bad, but also hugely influential. The instruction manual was huge, and contained the games playbook. The season mode was only playoffs, and you could easily throw half back screens 60 yards downfield without fear of interception, but it was quick, somewhat varied, football action. The players all had pretty much the same stats, but for some reason they decided to program different "spike" power into each skill player...

12. Disney's Toy Story

Quite possibly the single best Genesis game ever made. Seriously. Graphics that were better than a lot of mid-cycle PSX games. Huge variety in gameplay, ranging from side scroller, top down racer, 3/4ths racer, even some first person levels, and yet the gameplay mechanics for each type were well implemented, fun, and fair. Followed the movie in a completely logical way, but also had its own twist to the story that made sense. Finally, this game was full of charm. Unfortunately, it showed up towards the end of the Genesis life cycle, and carried a decidedly "kiddie" movie tie-in, and seems almost completely forgotten by today's gamers.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MysteriousBob
@SuicidalSnowman: SimCity 3000 was bad? I love it, I always thought it was the best in the series. 

I also have a lot of fondness for Die Hard Trilogy even though the individual games aren't very good.
Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By SuicidalSnowman
@MysteriousBob: That's why I put it in this list! Critics tend to put it aside as the weakest in the series, but I personally think it had some real charm to it.  I also think it is a critical turning and development point in the series.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MysteriousBob
@SuicidalSnowman: Thats what I meant. I didn't know it was unpopular with critics or anyone for that matter.
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Goly
@Guyzea said:

" The Punisher for XBOX, it's a lot like Max Payne but without the bullet time. I has an interrogation mechanic that's pretty gory/brutal but it's just plain fun to execute people in the face.

"
Hahah I remember playing the PC demo of the Punisher over and over again because the shooting itself was pretty great and satisfying. And the interrogation scenes were a really nice touch. I may get this on PC, eventually.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Goly
@MysteriousBob said:
" Fighting Force was indeed awesome. Flawed, but awesome. Did you know that it originally was Streets of Rage 4? "
noooo way! the streets of rage comparison I did was totally unintended hahah
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Akeldama

Again, Silent Hill 4

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By Astras

Vandal hearts on the PSX.... hardly anyone has heard of it  that I speak too about gaming.
FF7, seems to be getting alot of hate these days
Megalomania on the megadrive
Super soccer on the snes to me feels like the only oldschool football game that has aged well.. although me and my bro are prolly the only people on the planet that still play it from time to time.