B-List Video Games

KommanderCevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By KommanderCevin

My friend and I have embarked upon an odyssey to play all the poorly rated though not quite totally broken video games we never played. For example, we have almost completed Earth Defense Force 2017 which turned out to be a huge surprise hit.

What we need now is some suggestions of further B-list games to try, with one qualifier: They should have local co-op (i.e. split-screen) play. And be awesome.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

I don't know about local co-op, it's not something you're going to find in most b-list videogames tbh.

These were surprise hits for me (and super cheap too) Bullet Witch, Dark Sector, Prey, Enchanted Arms, Stranglehold (Condemned if you feel that way, but personally I feel thats an A lister) Lost: Via Domus, Vampire Rain, CSI: Hard Evidence, Kane and Lynch: Dead Men.

I honestly think the only coop game on that list is Kane and Lynch. But I enjoyed them all quite a but once they dropped significantly in price.
jb335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jb335

What we're looking for is games that fall into the "so bad they're good" category

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Serker

its gonna be hard to find a better b-list co-op experience than EDF2017. as ryan would say, you can't start a show with a showstopper.
perhaps Crackdown? or maybe 50 cent: blood on the sand? or maybe too human? or maybe two worlds?

or maybe army of two?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Serker:

Ahh yeah those all sound like solid choices. Too Human doesn't have local multiplayer unfortunately, I believe the rest do (cept maybe crackdown, isnt it online only like Too Human?)

Blood on the Sand definately sounds so bad it's good, it makes me want to HIT THAT RAMP 50!!!
jb335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jb335

Yeah we were really interested in Blood on the Sand, it actually sort of inspired this whole thing, but it's only got online co-op. Maybe we should just suck it up and buy two copies so we can find out where 50's skull is at.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
@KommanderCevin:  That list is too long to imagine. It blows my mind just to try and list every sub-par game ever made.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MKHavoc

I haven't played it myself, but I'd suggest Mercenaries 2.  I heard that your progress in co-op doesn't carry over into your single player game  if you're the second player though.  Again I haven't played for myself so I'm not sure how true that is.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By TobyD81

So these should be games that you can enjoy in an MST3K, ironic sort of way. Is it possible to enjoy BomberMan Act Zero ironically? I also feel like Onechanbara should be in here. Don't do X-Blades, I played the demo last week and it is not at all awesome, even ironically.

KommanderCevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KommanderCevin
@Serker said:
" its gonna be hard to find a better b-list co-op experience than EDF2017. as ryan would say, you can't start a show with a showstopper.perhaps Crackdown? or maybe 50 cent: blood on the sand? or maybe too human? or maybe two worlds?or maybe army of two? "
Tell me about it, I can still hardly believe how underrated EDF is. I'm interested in Crackdown though, heard some interessting things about it. Army of 2 as well.
jb335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jb335

Kommander and I have both played Mercs 2. We were big fans of Mercs one, but I'd say Mercs 2 definitely fell short of expectations, but definitely into the "so bad it's good" niche. Great suggestions so far guys.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#12  Edited By TobyD81
@KommanderCevin: You should play Crackdown on it's own merit. That game wasn't so-bad-it's-good - Crackdown was just plain good.
Kaz_Hirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kaz_Hirai
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60
@The_A_Drain said:
" I don't know about local co-op, it's not something you're going to find in most b-list videogames tbh.

These were surprise hits for me (and super cheap too) Bullet Witch, Dark Sector, Prey, Enchanted Arms, Stranglehold (Condemned if you feel that way, but personally I feel thats an A lister) Lost: Via Domus, Vampire Rain, CSI: Hard Evidence, Kane and Lynch: Dead Men.

I honestly think the only coop game on that list is Kane and Lynch. But I enjoyed them all quite a but once they dropped significantly in price.
"
LOL Vampire Rain? That game is absolutely TERRIBLE.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain
@CL60:

The dude wanted bad games other people had enjoyed, and I actually enjoyed Vampire Rain, it's not so bad once you get past the first 4 or 5 levels. But I got it for like, 6 pounds, so who cares :P
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Ineedaname
@Kaz_Hirai said:
" Escape From Bug Island, though I don't think it has co-op "
Have you seen the avatar of the top editor on that article aswell?

Made me lol. Inadvertent genius.

Not to mention the description:
"Fight bugs and try to stay alive in this lackluster Wii game."

To be on topic google gave me this. And I vote Dynasty Warriors based on the quick look.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_coop_games

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By penguindust
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_A_Drain
@PenguinDust:

I can agree with most of those, but Ultimate Alliance was awesome O_o b-list? Damn, people have sky high expectations if they think Ultimate Alliance was b-list.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust
@The_A_Drain:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance as well as R6:V2 and RtCW are separate from the list of B-titles I mentioned because they are good games which can be played local co-op, not mediocre or bad games.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_A_Drain
@PenguinDust:

Ahhh :D Good call :) Yeah Ultimate Alliance coop is awesome fun
The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By The_Joker
Conan. Just finished that game. That's a B-List game. I know the rule is Local Co-op. Hmm... oh got one. Untold Legends on PS3. I played through that game with my friend. B-List. Every House of the Dead game. I personally think they are all amazing...but they are B-List (of which the series prides itself on now.) Another good one Phantom Dust on Xbox. That game was amazing and needs a sequel but I admit to it's B-List-ness.
KommanderCevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KommanderCevin
I like the way The Outfit and Perfect Dark Zero look, thanks @PenguinDust.
hexxagonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By hexxagonal

I second the Hunter the Reckoning games

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By mattbodega

The problem with trying to find the "so bad they're good" games is that it requires a certain balance between the laughably bad gameplay and the hysterical periphery elements(story and graphics, or whathave you". Obviously, a game that's terrible because of purely technical reasons (bad framerates and terrible textures), than the game is just going to bad for ordinary, uninteresting reasons. It's for this reason that most people's favorite "B-Games" are the ones with terrible voice acting or a poor translation;games like House of the Dead 2 are certianly....compitant on the techincal aspects, but the game's terrible translation and hysterically horrible dialog have made it legendary, without the game actually being any good.

Earth Defense Force is a game that is profoundly dumb, with terrible voice acting and bad writing and brain-dead, one note gameplay, but it is ABSOLUTLY COMITTED to being as dumb as possible.  That's why the game, on some level, succeeds.

For good B-games, you need the games that are totally comitted to stupidity, or blissfully unaware of their own stupidity.