• 63 results
Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mageman

(I dont't really like the word gamer and I'm sure many of you don't like it aswell, but let's play along with it for this scenario)

(Also predispose that the people in question are born in similar social conditions, adding this here before a cocky bastard tries to point that out and turn this around)

How much control do you really think we have upon the things we like, is it really our choice to like something ? Because I don't think it is, person a may be interested in videogames while person b may not even care about them. And do you really think that if conditions require person ''b'' to suddenly play videogames he will like them as much as person ''a'' who was naturally attracted to gaming ? Even if person ''b'' would be reborn into a place where he is surrounded by videogames and gamers there is nothing saying that he will like videogames as much as the people around him do, he may get acquainted with the mechanics and the genral sense of it but that's it.

I made this thread because of an anecdotal scenario, where my friends were trying to get another friend to play videogames with them, when he obviously couldn't care less about them. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever, obviously if he would have even a sliver of interest in games he would have shown interest in them before.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShadowConqueror

And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By time allen

i am the 99%

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By swoxx

@ajamafalous said:

As did I old friend, as did I.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Swoxx said:

@ajamafalous and everyone else said:

As did I old friend, as did I.

Everyone did. Well if I were to contribute something meaningful to this thread in any extent: Experience.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

I think it is, you first couple of games could have been crap and they could have put you off playing video games.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By willin

I think gamers are evil sinners that must be purged in the name of Christ!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zeforgotten

@Willin said:

The name of who?

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Willin said:

A GREED!

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ze_ro

I was exposed to videogames since I was really young because my brothers played games so I didn't really choose to become a gamer. I would argue that people who don't play games, don't play them 'cause no one has introduced games to them. I'd say videogames are a really easy hobby to get hooked on, you just need exposure.

...and there's nothing wrong with being a 'gamer', at least where I'm from.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Mageman said:

I made this thread because of an anecdotal scenario, where my friends were trying to get another friend to play videogames with them, when he obviously couldn't care less about them. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever

Nope, that title goes to this thread.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By ahoodedfigure

It's hard to see how someone can't share in a thing you like, especially when you spend a lot of time, effort, and money on it. You're sort of invested in it. I think that a lot of people could probably find something to like in gaming, even if the thought was initially off-putting, but I also find that some gamers profess to love the hobby more than they actually do. Like they'd vehemently defend something obviously broken because to do otherwise threatens their belief in the investment they made. There are also folks who are afraid to get into gaming because many of us are geeks, and to be seen associating with geeky behaviors terrifies some people. 

But I guess I don't freak out when people don't like what I like. I have pretty esoteric tastes, so that helps, but being too evangelistic with just about anything will turn some people off before they even open themselves up to the possibility.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vinny_Says

yall gamers can game all you want as long as it's in the privacy of your own home, but don't go flaunting it in public I don't want to see that

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

From people that don't get involved with games the way I do, yes, I don't like it when people call me gamer, because I just don't feel like that, I feel the necessary word and description is nerd. I don't look or often feel like a nerd though aside from playing many games and know many movies (and many other things). One girl that I haven't talked to in a long time, once asked me "So you're still a gamer?", though not in a negative way, but it kind of weird-ed me out by it for some reason.

I'm not really offended by it mind you, it's just that gamers is very... well I have no idea what's with that word. Maybe because to me, when someone's called that, it makes it seem as if they're telling someone they play games all the time without much else intelligence or interests, though it may not be that. Like I said, I don't know. Anyways, I just wanted to say that, though it's probably off topic. Sorry, I read the first few words and then wanted to comment on your thread, it was just that compelling.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By imsh_pl
@ajamafalous said:
N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By N7

Hey, look, I don't want to make this awkward or anything, but I don't appreciate you labeling them "video games". That was just some sort of bullshit created by some company who wants to make money and not go broke, so I'd prefer if you called them "interactive entertainment". Thanks.

And remember, stick it to the man!

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Meowshi

Look, I don't care what you godless gamers do behind closed doors, but when I'm riding the public bus to work I don't want to see some guy playing his fucking PSP in the seat next to me. It's disgusting and immoral. Have a little respect and keep that shit to yourself.

edit: Someone already made this joke? Darn.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jack268

Assume being a gamer is indeed a choice someone makes. That, by extension, means not being a gamer is also a choice since every man or woman could, theoretically, swing either way and it's all up to them. This means that everyone reading this, gamer or not, could suddenly decide to "try the other side" since it's all just a matter of making the decision. Is that really the case? I can tell you right now, it's not. I'm not a gamer and it would not be possible for me to make a choice to suddenly turn into a gamer. I mean, sure, I could maybe pretend, for whatever reason, but to actually have a physical relationship with a video game? No. Not possible. By logical extension then, if someone is a gamer it's as little a choice for them as not being one is a choice for me.

This is what I expected when I entered this thread

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DeeGee

@ajamafalous said:

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By otzlowe

In all seriousness though, it literally cannot be an in-born feature of any of us. Sure, we might be predisposed to liking certain things more, depending on what our levels of stress will dictate and if we like twitchier entertainment, but this is all stuff that isn't "natural." We don't have genetics based around this stuff and can only start to like it if we experience. You can't be a reader if you've never read a book. You can't be a gamer if you've never played a game. You have to experience one of these forms of entertainment and then choose which suits you more.

My girlfriend, for example, is only not a gamer because she gets too stressed out when playing games, but that's only because she's not used to memorizing the controls. Actually inputting commands to a game is an active part of the experience that requires thought and attention. Unlike much of the rest of us, it isn't a case where she's so used to this stuff that it just becomes totally fluid and nearly thoughtless to actually "play" a game. As a result, she gets turned off by even moderately-paced action games.

So, in that sense, I wouldn't argue that it's stupid to try to get people to enjoy games when they don't from the outset. Unless they have a lot of experience trying to like games and not doing so, they literally have no idea what they're missing. It's no less valid than trying to convince your friends to do any other thing in the world.

While, certainly, it's less of a choice and more of a preference, it's not just defined at the time of our birth or something.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Buscemi

Cause baby we were born this way. :D

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

Yes, yes it is a choice.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By laserbolts

As long as you don't do it around me I'll be fine. Gamin grosses me out.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

Somebody needs to combine these topics. The word "gaymer" exists, you know.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By awe_stuck

If person A touches B does that make them gay? If theyre gamers probably. Cus most gamers are dudes.

'Nuff said

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RazielCuts

@ajamafalous said:

Me too!

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By herocide

I choose to play video games.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BlinkyTM

@Herocide said:

I choose to play video games.

Same here.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By trylks

I like games, but I don't like to like them. Why? Basically they are pointless, useless, other activities are more social, and can do good things for your social life, you meet people, make friends, and that can be handy sometimes, specially if you meet women. I know forever alone is a gamer.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/forever-alone

In other activities you may learn, improve social skills, increase your social circle, but not only that, with some activities you make not only more friends and social connections, but many other things. Some people may like the DIY stuff, and have a nice house with that kind of things, playing an instrument can be a job, exercise is healthy, etc. Gaming feels like a waste of time to me.

Despite of that, while gaming I get to be focused on one thing, I forget about the rest (that doesn't happen to me with movies) and it's good for me, or even necessary from time to time, just to take a break and not to think about work, whatever problem or situation may be going on, etc. (none of us lives in heaven, right?) It's just I wish I could do the same, for instance by swimming in a pool, that would be better for my health, that wouldn't feel like wasted time.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By awe_stuck

@Trylks said:

I like games, but I don't like to like them. Why? Basically they are pointless, useless, other activities are more social, and can do good things for your social life, you meet people, make friends, and that can be handy sometimes, specially if you meet women. I know forever alone is a gamer.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/forever-alone

In other activities you may learn, improve social skills, increase your social circle, but not only that, with some activities you make not only more friends and social connections, but many other things. Some people may like the DIY stuff, and have a nice house with that kind of things, playing an instrument can be a job, exercise is healthy, etc. Gaming feels like a waste of time to me.

Despite of that, while gaming I get to be focused on one thing, I forget about the rest (that doesn't happen to me with movies) and it's good for me, or even necessary from time to time, just to take a break and not to think about work, whatever problem or situation may be going on, etc. (none of us lives in heaven, right?) It's just I wish I could do the same, for instance by swimming in a pool, that would be better for my health, that wouldn't feel like wasted time.

Thats sad wouldnt doubt the interviewer knew the person who got him there, or maybe they were friends. 1 degree from Jerry Springer?

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By trylks

@awe_stuck said:

Thats sad wouldnt doubt the interviewer knew the person who got him there, or maybe they were friends. 1 degree from Jerry Springer?

Only on months that start with J.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By awe_stuck

@Trylks said:

@awe_stuck said:

Only on months that start with J.

I dont know. Ive never been stood up before...

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Still_I_Cry

All of you people that think gaming is a choice are lying because 95% of people that are gamers are born gamers :)

Also, I have known since I was twelve that I am a gamer.

That is when I touched my first analog stick.

Although my parents knew I was a gamer from the time they saw me stare at the sleek body of a N64.

I finally came out about it when I was 15 and openly declared that I am a gamer and that I don't care if they love me or not, it is who I am and I cannot change who I am.

In the end, they supported my decision and respected it even though they do not agree with my lifestyle choice.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By trylks

@awe_stuck said:

You know that is not true.

In any case. It's fairly easy, just write some text, add some explanations, synonyms and rephrases for "better clarification", then write and delete commas randomly.

Got it?

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By awe_stuck

@Trylks said:

@awe_stuck said:

You know that is not true.

In any case. It's fairly easy, just write some text, add some explanations, synonyms and rephrases for "better clarification", then write and delete commas randomly.

Got it?

I never edited that post.

I write sentence fragments. Sometimes, I dont notice my error til after I read it. I edit it to fix it. Rarely do I repost with an edit something completely different. I also, edit right away.

For dates it is true (never been stood up), but then again I'm not ugly, and girls usually do enjoy going on dates with me.

And, no I dont get it. I was simply stating I cant empathisize with what I havent felt. I've had plans changed before, but never stood up

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By cornbredx

While your argument is fascinating there is nothing that genetically pre-disposes you to playing video games. Or is there? I don't really know but that would be proof.

Also this is kind of silly haha

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Beaudacious

Fuck Off.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Totally false. You don't choose to enjoy playing games maybe, but you do choose if you DO play. I know people who love games but rarely play and couldn't be considered gamers, and I know people that choose games over other things and as a result are gamers. That's like saying being fat isn't a choice for people who love food. It's not true. It is not at all like being gay, which you literally have no control over. Even if you never have relations with the same sex, you're still gay.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By Dagbiker

if thats the case then your saying i was born hating FPS's? Then why do i have all of the FPS's up until they started becoming crap( Modern Warfare ).

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By awe_stuck

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Totally false. You don't choose to enjoy playing games maybe, but you do choose if you DO play. I know people who love games but rarely play and couldn't be considered gamers, and I know people that choose games over other things and as a result are gamers. That's like saying being fat isn't a choice for people who love food. It's not true. It is not at all like being gay, which you literally have no control over. Even if you never have relations with the same sex, you're still gay.

Ya, cus fat people cant choose to eat less, or walk for a couple hours a day. Or, go to a gym, or eat less fatty food, and watch their sugar intake. They also cant decrease the amount of meat they eat, or high fatty foods they eat (such as dairy products like cheese).

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By Dagbiker

@awe_stuck said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Ya, cus fat people cant choose to eat less, or walk for a couple hours a day. Or, go to a gym, or eat less fatty food, and watch their sugar intake. They also cant decrease the amount of meat they eat, or high fatty foods they eat (such as dairy products like cheese).

i hope you realize that some people are fat by genetics too and much as some one might be naturally thin, some are naturally fat.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mageman

@Dagbiker said:

@awe_stuck said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

i hope you realize that some people are fat by genetics too and much as some one might be naturally thin, some are naturally fat.

No Caption Provided
pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By pantzing_nome

Gaming is a religion and Haze is the shit.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By BaneFireLord
@Roflwaffles said:

"I was reading Gary Whitta's Google+ stream and came across a video with the title Herman Cain: 'Show Me The Science' That Being a Gamer is Not a Choice. I don't know who Herman Cain is, nor do I really care, but the question itself seems weird to me. It's obviously not a choice! Let me explain...

Assume being a gamer is indeed a choice someone makes. That, by extension, means choosing not to be a gamer is also a choice since every man or woman could, theoretically, swing either way and it's all up to them. This means that everyone reading this, gamer or not, could suddenly decide to "try the other side" since it's all just a matter of making the decision. Is that really the case? I can tell you right now, it's not. I'm not a gamer and it would not be possible for me to make a choice to suddenly turn into one. I mean, sure, I could maybe pretend, for whatever reason, but to actually have a physical relationship with a game? No. Not possible. By logical extension then, if someone is a gamer it's as little a choice for them as not being one is a choice for me.

Of course, there are people in between, bi-gamers if you will. They are the only ones who I guess could make a choice either way. The only logical conclusion is that people like this Herman Cain, who believe being a gamer is a choice... they must then have faced that same choice, right? Anything else makes no sense at all. They must be somewhere in the middle of the gamer spectrum; they chose not to game and therefore believe all people who are gamers simply chose the other side.

Thoughts?"

Thank you.
benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By benpicko

@ajamafalous said:

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By superpow

this thread is kinda dumb.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bybeach

Duke Nukem made me his bitch. There i said it.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By trylks

@awe_stuck: I'm sorry, I thought from the beginning that you were makin fun of me because of my confusing first post, which is the case because if I'm spending some time in the forum and not working is because I'm exhausted (reason for my lack of writing skills). So... yeah, never understood what you said, my reading skills are also not very good when I'm in the forum. Sorry again.