• 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Mageman (352 posts) -

(I dont't really like the word gamer and I'm sure many of you don't like it aswell, but let's play along with it for this scenario)

(Also predispose that the people in question are born in similar social conditions, adding this here before a cocky bastard tries to point that out and turn this around)

How much control do you really think we have upon the things we like, is it really our choice to like something ? Because I don't think it is, person a may be interested in videogames while person b may not even care about them. And do you really think that if conditions require person ''b'' to suddenly play videogames he will like them as much as person ''a'' who was naturally attracted to gaming ? Even if person ''b'' would be reborn into a place where he is surrounded by videogames and gamers there is nothing saying that he will like videogames as much as the people around him do, he may get acquainted with the mechanics and the genral sense of it but that's it.

I made this thread because of an anecdotal scenario, where my friends were trying to get another friend to play videogames with them, when he obviously couldn't care less about them. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever, obviously if he would have even a sliver of interest in games he would have shown interest in them before.

#2 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.

#3 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

Choice seems vague. Also deja vu.

#4 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2997 posts) -

And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.

#5 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

i am the 99%

#6 Posted by Swoxx (2980 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.

As did I old friend, as did I.

#7 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -
@Swoxx said:

@ajamafalous and everyone else said:

And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.

As did I old friend, as did I.

Everyone did. Well if I were to contribute something meaningful to this thread in any extent: Experience.
#8 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I think it is, you first couple of games could have been crap and they could have put you off playing video games.

#9 Posted by Willin (1269 posts) -

I think gamers are evil sinners that must be purged in the name of Christ!

#10 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@Willin said:

I think gamers are evil sinners that must be purged in the name of Christ!

The name of who?

#11 Posted by BelligerentEngine (339 posts) -

@Willin said:

I think gamers are evil sinners that must be purged in the name of Christ!

A GREED!

#12 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

I was exposed to videogames since I was really young because my brothers played games so I didn't really choose to become a gamer. I would argue that people who don't play games, don't play them 'cause no one has introduced games to them. I'd say videogames are a really easy hobby to get hooked on, you just need exposure.

...and there's nothing wrong with being a 'gamer', at least where I'm from.

#13 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4487 posts) -

@Mageman said:

I made this thread because of an anecdotal scenario, where my friends were trying to get another friend to play videogames with them, when he obviously couldn't care less about them. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever

Nope, that title goes to this thread.

#14 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4237 posts) -

It's hard to see how someone can't share in a thing you like, especially when you spend a lot of time, effort, and money on it. You're sort of invested in it. I think that a lot of people could probably find something to like in gaming, even if the thought was initially off-putting, but I also find that some gamers profess to love the hobby more than they actually do. Like they'd vehemently defend something obviously broken because to do otherwise threatens their belief in the investment they made. There are also folks who are afraid to get into gaming because many of us are geeks, and to be seen associating with geeky behaviors terrifies some people. 
 
But I guess I don't freak out when people don't like what I like. I have pretty esoteric tastes, so that helps, but being too evangelistic with just about anything will turn some people off before they even open themselves up to the possibility.

#15 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

yall gamers can game all you want as long as it's in the privacy of your own home, but don't go flaunting it in public I don't want to see that

#16 Posted by NTM (7035 posts) -

From people that don't get involved with games the way I do, yes, I don't like it when people call me gamer, because I just don't feel like that, I feel the necessary word and description is nerd. I don't look or often feel like a nerd though aside from playing many games and know many movies (and many other things). One girl that I haven't talked to in a long time, once asked me "So you're still a gamer?", though not in a negative way, but it kind of weird-ed me out by it for some reason.

I'm not really offended by it mind you, it's just that gamers is very... well I have no idea what's with that word. Maybe because to me, when someone's called that, it makes it seem as if they're telling someone they play games all the time without much else intelligence or interests, though it may not be that. Like I said, I don't know. Anyways, I just wanted to say that, though it's probably off topic. Sorry, I read the first few words and then wanted to comment on your thread, it was just that compelling.

#17 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.
#18 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -

Hey, look, I don't want to make this awkward or anything, but I don't appreciate you labeling them "video games". That was just some sort of bullshit created by some company who wants to make money and not go broke, so I'd prefer if you called them "interactive entertainment". Thanks.
 
And remember, stick it to the man!

#19 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Look, I don't care what you godless gamers do behind closed doors, but when I'm riding the public bus to work I don't want to see some guy playing his fucking PSP in the seat next to me. It's disgusting and immoral. Have a little respect and keep that shit to yourself.

edit: Someone already made this joke? Darn.

#20 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -


Assume being a gamer is indeed a choice someone makes. That, by extension, means not being a gamer is also a choice since every man or woman could, theoretically, swing either way and it's all up to them. This means that everyone reading this, gamer or not, could suddenly decide to "try the other side" since it's all just a matter of making the decision. Is that really the case? I can tell you right now, it's not. I'm not a gamer and it would not be possible for me to make a choice to suddenly turn into a gamer. I mean, sure, I could maybe pretend, for whatever reason, but to actually have a physical relationship with a video game? No. Not possible. By logical extension then, if someone is a gamer it's as little a choice for them as not being one is a choice for me.

 

This is what I expected when I entered this thread

 

#21 Posted by DeeGee (2098 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.
#22 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

In all seriousness though, it literally cannot be an in-born feature of any of us. Sure, we might be predisposed to liking certain things more, depending on what our levels of stress will dictate and if we like twitchier entertainment, but this is all stuff that isn't "natural." We don't have genetics based around this stuff and can only start to like it if we experience. You can't be a reader if you've never read a book. You can't be a gamer if you've never played a game. You have to experience one of these forms of entertainment and then choose which suits you more.

My girlfriend, for example, is only not a gamer because she gets too stressed out when playing games, but that's only because she's not used to memorizing the controls. Actually inputting commands to a game is an active part of the experience that requires thought and attention. Unlike much of the rest of us, it isn't a case where she's so used to this stuff that it just becomes totally fluid and nearly thoughtless to actually "play" a game. As a result, she gets turned off by even moderately-paced action games.

So, in that sense, I wouldn't argue that it's stupid to try to get people to enjoy games when they don't from the outset. Unless they have a lot of experience trying to like games and not doing so, they literally have no idea what they're missing. It's no less valid than trying to convince your friends to do any other thing in the world.

While, certainly, it's less of a choice and more of a preference, it's not just defined at the time of our birth or something.

#23 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

Cause baby we were born this way. :D

#24 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Yes, yes it is a choice.

#25 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

As long as you don't do it around me I'll be fine. Gamin grosses me out.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (34649 posts) -

Somebody needs to combine these topics. The word "gaymer" exists, you know.

#27 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

If person A touches B does that make them gay? If theyre gamers probably. Cus most gamers are dudes.

'Nuff said

#28 Posted by RazielCuts (2718 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.

Me too!

#29 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

I choose to play video games.

#30 Posted by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

@Herocide said:

I choose to play video games.

Same here.

#31 Posted by Trylks (825 posts) -

I like games, but I don't like to like them. Why? Basically they are pointless, useless, other activities are more social, and can do good things for your social life, you meet people, make friends, and that can be handy sometimes, specially if you meet women. I know forever alone is a gamer.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/forever-alone

In other activities you may learn, improve social skills, increase your social circle, but not only that, with some activities you make not only more friends and social connections, but many other things. Some people may like the DIY stuff, and have a nice house with that kind of things, playing an instrument can be a job, exercise is healthy, etc. Gaming feels like a waste of time to me.

Despite of that, while gaming I get to be focused on one thing, I forget about the rest (that doesn't happen to me with movies) and it's good for me, or even necessary from time to time, just to take a break and not to think about work, whatever problem or situation may be going on, etc. (none of us lives in heaven, right?) It's just I wish I could do the same, for instance by swimming in a pool, that would be better for my health, that wouldn't feel like wasted time.

#32 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@Trylks said:

I like games, but I don't like to like them. Why? Basically they are pointless, useless, other activities are more social, and can do good things for your social life, you meet people, make friends, and that can be handy sometimes, specially if you meet women. I know forever alone is a gamer.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/forever-alone

In other activities you may learn, improve social skills, increase your social circle, but not only that, with some activities you make not only more friends and social connections, but many other things. Some people may like the DIY stuff, and have a nice house with that kind of things, playing an instrument can be a job, exercise is healthy, etc. Gaming feels like a waste of time to me.

Despite of that, while gaming I get to be focused on one thing, I forget about the rest (that doesn't happen to me with movies) and it's good for me, or even necessary from time to time, just to take a break and not to think about work, whatever problem or situation may be going on, etc. (none of us lives in heaven, right?) It's just I wish I could do the same, for instance by swimming in a pool, that would be better for my health, that wouldn't feel like wasted time.

Thats sad wouldnt doubt the interviewer knew the person who got him there, or maybe they were friends. 1 degree from Jerry Springer?

#33 Posted by Trylks (825 posts) -

@awe_stuck said:

Thats sad wouldnt doubt the interviewer knew the person who got him there, or maybe they were friends. 1 degree from Jerry Springer?

Only on months that start with J.

#34 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@Trylks said:

@awe_stuck said:

Thats sad wouldnt doubt the interviewer knew the person who got him there, or maybe they were friends. 1 degree from Jerry Springer?

Only on months that start with J.

I dont know. Ive never been stood up before...

#35 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

All of you people that think gaming is a choice are lying because 95% of people that are gamers are born gamers :)

Also, I have known since I was twelve that I am a gamer.

That is when I touched my first analog stick.

Although my parents knew I was a gamer from the time they saw me stare at the sleek body of a N64.

I finally came out about it when I was 15 and openly declared that I am a gamer and that I don't care if they love me or not, it is who I am and I cannot change who I am.

In the end, they supported my decision and respected it even though they do not agree with my lifestyle choice.

#36 Posted by Trylks (825 posts) -

@awe_stuck said:

I dont know. Ive never been stood up before...

You know that is not true.

In any case. It's fairly easy, just write some text, add some explanations, synonyms and rephrases for "better clarification", then write and delete commas randomly.

Got it?

#37 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@Trylks said:

@awe_stuck said:

I dont know. Ive never been stood up before...

You know that is not true.

In any case. It's fairly easy, just write some text, add some explanations, synonyms and rephrases for "better clarification", then write and delete commas randomly.

Got it?

I never edited that post.

I write sentence fragments. Sometimes, I dont notice my error til after I read it. I edit it to fix it. Rarely do I repost with an edit something completely different. I also, edit right away.

For dates it is true (never been stood up), but then again I'm not ugly, and girls usually do enjoy going on dates with me.

And, no I dont get it. I was simply stating I cant empathisize with what I havent felt. I've had plans changed before, but never stood up

#38 Posted by CornBREDX (4459 posts) -

While your argument is fascinating there is nothing that genetically pre-disposes you to playing video games. Or is there? I don't really know but that would be proof.

Also this is kind of silly haha

#39 Posted by Beaudacious (916 posts) -

Fuck Off.

#40 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Totally false. You don't choose to enjoy playing games maybe, but you do choose if you DO play. I know people who love games but rarely play and couldn't be considered gamers, and I know people that choose games over other things and as a result are gamers. That's like saying being fat isn't a choice for people who love food. It's not true. It is not at all like being gay, which you literally have no control over. Even if you never have relations with the same sex, you're still gay.

#41 Posted by Dagbiker (6899 posts) -

if thats the case then your saying i was born hating FPS's? Then why do i have all of the FPS's up until they started becoming crap( Modern Warfare ).

#42 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Totally false. You don't choose to enjoy playing games maybe, but you do choose if you DO play. I know people who love games but rarely play and couldn't be considered gamers, and I know people that choose games over other things and as a result are gamers. That's like saying being fat isn't a choice for people who love food. It's not true. It is not at all like being gay, which you literally have no control over. Even if you never have relations with the same sex, you're still gay.

Ya, cus fat people cant choose to eat less, or walk for a couple hours a day. Or, go to a gym, or eat less fatty food, and watch their sugar intake. They also cant decrease the amount of meat they eat, or high fatty foods they eat (such as dairy products like cheese).

#43 Posted by Dagbiker (6899 posts) -

@awe_stuck said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Totally false. You don't choose to enjoy playing games maybe, but you do choose if you DO play. I know people who love games but rarely play and couldn't be considered gamers, and I know people that choose games over other things and as a result are gamers. That's like saying being fat isn't a choice for people who love food. It's not true. It is not at all like being gay, which you literally have no control over. Even if you never have relations with the same sex, you're still gay.

Ya, cus fat people cant choose to eat less, or walk for a couple hours a day. Or, go to a gym, or eat less fatty food, and watch their sugar intake. They also cant decrease the amount of meat they eat, or high fatty foods they eat (such as dairy products like cheese).

i hope you realize that some people are fat by genetics too and much as some one might be naturally thin, some are naturally fat.

#44 Edited by Mageman (352 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@awe_stuck said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Totally false. You don't choose to enjoy playing games maybe, but you do choose if you DO play. I know people who love games but rarely play and couldn't be considered gamers, and I know people that choose games over other things and as a result are gamers. That's like saying being fat isn't a choice for people who love food. It's not true. It is not at all like being gay, which you literally have no control over. Even if you never have relations with the same sex, you're still gay.

Ya, cus fat people cant choose to eat less, or walk for a couple hours a day. Or, go to a gym, or eat less fatty food, and watch their sugar intake. They also cant decrease the amount of meat they eat, or high fatty foods they eat (such as dairy products like cheese).

i hope you realize that some people are fat by genetics too and much as some one might be naturally thin, some are naturally fat.

#45 Posted by pantzing_nome (567 posts) -

Gaming is a religion and Haze is the shit.

#46 Edited by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -
@Roflwaffles said:

"I was reading Gary Whitta's Google+ stream and came across a video with the title Herman Cain: 'Show Me The Science' That Being a Gamer is Not a Choice. I don't know who Herman Cain is, nor do I really care, but the question itself seems weird to me. It's obviously not a choice! Let me explain...

Assume being a gamer is indeed a choice someone makes. That, by extension, means choosing not to be a gamer is also a choice since every man or woman could, theoretically, swing either way and it's all up to them. This means that everyone reading this, gamer or not, could suddenly decide to "try the other side" since it's all just a matter of making the decision. Is that really the case? I can tell you right now, it's not. I'm not a gamer and it would not be possible for me to make a choice to suddenly turn into one. I mean, sure, I could maybe pretend, for whatever reason, but to actually have a physical relationship with a game? No. Not possible. By logical extension then, if someone is a gamer it's as little a choice for them as not being one is a choice for me.

Of course, there are people in between, bi-gamers if you will. They are the only ones who I guess could make a choice either way. The only logical conclusion is that people like this Herman Cain, who believe being a gamer is a choice... they must then have faced that same choice, right? Anything else makes no sense at all. They must be somewhere in the middle of the gamer spectrum; they chose not to game and therefore believe all people who are gamers simply chose the other side.

Thoughts?"

Thank you.
#47 Posted by benpicko (1924 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

And here I was expecting a joke mad lib of that "being gay isn't a choice" topic.
#48 Posted by superpow (226 posts) -

this thread is kinda dumb.

#49 Posted by bybeach (4614 posts) -

Duke Nukem made me his bitch. There i said it.

#50 Posted by Trylks (825 posts) -

@awe_stuck: I'm sorry, I thought from the beginning that you were makin fun of me because of my confusing first post, which is the case because if I'm spending some time in the forum and not working is because I'm exhausted (reason for my lack of writing skills). So... yeah, never understood what you said, my reading skills are also not very good when I'm in the forum. Sorry again.