#1 Posted by Rokkaku (223 posts) -

Hi, I need some recommendations for games good for having the sound muted and my own music or podcasts going on instead. Any genre aside from MMO's are good, on PC or PS3, thanks.

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4784 posts) -

I'd say any online fps. Hell any single player fps would probably work too just flip on the subtitles. Also you could do it with most fighting games

#3 Posted by Kaiserreich (732 posts) -

minecraft

#4 Edited by believer258 (12101 posts) -

Racing games

Online shooters (Quake Live)

Survival modes (Halo Reach's Firefight comes to mind)

Emulators on old platformers

Skirmishes in strategy games

Borderlands

Terraria

Minecraft

EDIT: Scratch all of that, Just Cause 2 is your game.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Minecraft is my go-to game for zoning out and listening to podcasts. I'll play anything just listening to music.

#6 Posted by justinsimonin (45 posts) -
@believer258

Racing games

Online shooters (Quake Live)

Survival modes (Halo Reach's Firefight comes to mind)

Emulators on old platformers

Skirmishes in strategy games

Borderlands

Terraria

Minecraft

@Sackmanjones
I'd say any online fps. Hell any single player fps would probably work too just flip on the subtitles. Also you could do it with most fighting games

I'll usually play something like gran turismo or maybe some battlefield 3 multiplayer
#7 Posted by BeachThunder (12301 posts) -

Dungeons of Dredmor is my favourite podcast game.

#8 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Damn, was gonna suggest Trials but that's 360 only. It's perfect though ... I almost think they made the music as awful as possible so people would have to turn it off.

#9 Posted by Quarters (1815 posts) -

WWE games.

#10 Posted by Welding (145 posts) -

I like to play Mount & Blade, Dungeons of Dredmore and Jamestown while Im listening to podcasts.

SHMUPS works well in general.

#11 Posted by mosespippy (4378 posts) -

Racing games, grindy games with no narrative like Borderlands or inFamous, level building games like LBP or Minecraft.

#12 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

TF2 for me.

#13 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Any game. But games with a lot of exploring (Fallout series, Elder Scrolls series, Borderlands) and multiplayer games.

#14 Posted by pyromagnestir (4337 posts) -

Puzzle Games, Sports games, and really any games that don't have a focus on story. (I had my own music on stuff like Puzzle Quest, Peggle, N+, Super Meat Boy (music's great in that game, but you could if you wanted) Orcs Must Die, Civilization or Total War games, stuff like that)

And even story games if you are replaying it. (I did this for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 for instance)

#15 Posted by Raethen (180 posts) -

Borderlands

Skyrim (after the first 15 hours)

TrackMania 2 (though Jeff's server will make me take off the headphones)

Darksouls

SMNC

Most RPGs with a few exceptions when I get into the story.

I play through a most games while listening to podcasts at some point. If the score doesn't really add much to the game, and there is little to no dialogue of importance then a podcast will go on.

#16 Posted by Flaime (527 posts) -

Currently i'm playing a lot of Bejeweled when it's podcast time. I find story driven games to require too much focus, meaning that I'll either focus too much on the story and completely forget what they talk about on the podcast, or vice versa.

Some of my other bombcast games include: Minecraft, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Transport Tycoon, Theme Hospital, Legend of Grimrock, Dungeon Defenders, Orcs Must Die!, Borderlands, Burnout Paradise, Just Cause 2, Renegade Ops, Torchlight, Civilization.

#17 Posted by Jolt92 (1568 posts) -

Borderlands!

#18 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

WoW and Minecraft, but I also chewed through that entire 100-floor challenge in Paper Mario: TTYD while listening to a 3-hour podcast. Podcasts go good with RPG grinding.

#19 Posted by RecSpec (3908 posts) -

Mount and Blade and online shooters for me.

#20 Posted by MikkaQ (10335 posts) -

Any MMO, but of course EVE is the only good MMO.

#21 Posted by Smashlampjaw (220 posts) -

Skyrim

#22 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

MMOs work.  
EVE especially since nothing else at all worth listening to is going on in that game at all.  
But other MMOs work too for me unless it' has an actual story and people talking like SWTOR does. 

#23 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

I'm almost always playing Trials when listening to podcasts. I don't need to hear the game sound so my ears can just focus on the podcast.

#24 Posted by Gaff (1849 posts) -

Turn-based strategy like the Civilization games or "simulation" games like Sim City or The Sims seem / have been a great fit for me. Then again, nothing beat WoW for listening to podcasts.

#25 Posted by SpheriQ (87 posts) -

Solitaire or Freecell. Seriously, I do it myself from time to time.

#26 Posted by Vao (329 posts) -

Racing, puzzle or sim type (tropico) games for me,

#27 Posted by Aronman789 (2694 posts) -

How can you people play a podcast over Mount and Blade? I find paying attention to the noise of the battlefield to be an extremely important in knowing the range, speed, and whereabouts of your enemy.

#28 Posted by EliminatoR (237 posts) -

Heavy grindy RPGs

League of Legends (MOBA games in general, good way to destress yourself)

#29 Posted by fisk0 (4407 posts) -

Battlefield 3 and MAG are pretty much the only games I've played that I can listen to podcasts while I play. Not even any other multiplayer FPSes. I thought Bethesda's RPG's would've been perfect, but turned out it's too distracting, and especially in Skyrim you want to listen closely to the sounds and music.

#30 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

@EliminatoR said:

Heavy grindy RPGs

#31 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Racing games are perfect, but basically any game that doesn't require you to pay attention to any dialogue or cut scenes.

#32 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

Any RPG with a lot of mindless grinding and/or exploration segments.

#33 Posted by Dudacles (1461 posts) -

FIFA and all iterations thereof, in my opinion.

#34 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Borderlands and Bed.

Really any game without dialogue that I'm not playing online with friends.

Gears 3 solo horde mode has seen a lot of podcast time from be.

#35 Posted by Skytylz (4037 posts) -

Starcraft is really good for music and podcasts, the only problem is if I ever miss the nuke notification.

#36 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (534 posts) -

I'd say almost anything but FPS. I need to clearly hear environmental noises/bullet trajectories, but that's just me.

#37 Edited by Fripplebubby (1028 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

EVE especially since nothing else at all worth listening to is going on in that game at all.

While this is true, I submit to you two points:

1. The soundtrack is actually fantastic.
  2. EVE is the only game I can think of that has it's own (fan-run) radio station.

EDIT: Okay, WoW definitely also has a radio station.

#38 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

SSX

Burnout Paradise

#39 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I find puzzle games work well for this purpose.

#40 Posted by Linkin10362 (602 posts) -

Ever since playing Trials Evolution, I've been listening to a lot of podcasts and music during it. Music in the game is mostly shit and the music I play calms me down during the Extreme tracks and Hard Gold runs.

#41 Posted by Grillbar (1895 posts) -

i use any game. all of prototype 2 was played muted with the bombcast running

#42 Posted by Masha2932 (1242 posts) -

Puzzle games

Open world games(once you're done with the main story),

Civilization

Racing games-games like Forza and Grand Turismo especially. In a game like Blur where you have to listen to attacks in order to avoid them you can still listen to a podcast but maybe at a lower volume.

Any game if you are replaying it.

#43 Posted by Marz (5668 posts) -

mmo's

#44 Posted by JimF (10 posts) -

Torchlight, and soon Torchlight 2

#45 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Serious Sam (HD versions) and BFE are solid for this (none of that maze-ness that Doom would have).

Quake II

Tower defense like Sanctum / Orcs Must Die / Defense Grid: The Awakening.

World of Warcraft

Most notable of these is that the thinking is not to intense, and there is not a whole lot of dialogue.