Bob's making a consle?...

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By niall_sg1

I just visited Jeff's site for some reason..  http://www.jeffgerstmann.net/ for anyone who doesn't know. The image caused me to have a flash back to Bob's game, for those who don't know what Bob's game is you missed out on some hilarity.  

On the site now there is some video with him screaming over 8-bit music about his handheld console that's gonna be super cheap you could just throw it away... 

http://www.bobsgame.com/   

Considering how long it's been since any real news from this I wonder what he's actually doing with his time. From the vid, I'll guess he's sorta nuts.  

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew
@Niall_Sg1 said:
" I'll guess he's sorta nuts.   "
Yes.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

whattttt

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FlyingRat

Oh Bob, you and your silly shenanigans. 

Edit: I can't remember if he just locked himself in his room or if he actually went on a hunger strike on top of that?

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lord_canti

hes a crazy bastard but i kinda want to play his game and his console.....whats wrong with me

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DougQuaid

Wasn't he going to kill himself if Nintendo didn't allow him to put his game on one of their consoles or am I just dreaming?

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oh man, I remember this crazy guy. The funny thing is, the game looked sorta cool until you looked into the creator and how batshit insane he is.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GioVANNI

I remember the Bombcast talking about Bob's game.  Funny stuff.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Green_Incarnate

How hard is it really to get an SDK from Nintendo? 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

Yep, Bob is still crazy.

I remember he said something at one point about porting the game over to the iPhone or something as a "fuck you" to Nintendo.  I wonder what ever came of that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Hailinel
@Green_Incarnate said:
" How hard is it really to get an SDK from Nintendo?  "
Nintendo actually has some strict policies when it comes to applying to become a licensed developer.  In addition to having evidence that you're a credible development house, you also need to have a certain amount of financial stability and an office space with a minimum standard of security, among other requirements.  What it boils down to is that Nintendo needs to know that you're a credible game development studio and not a fuckwit.

For competent developers with solid business acumen, the requirements aren't necessarily terribly difficult to accomplish.  For some lone nut like Bob working out of his basement?  Uh, no.
Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Green_Incarnate
@Hailinel: Well, you can kinda understand why the dude is crazy. Hope this new console works out.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By JoelTGM

I like the idea.  If he makes it I'll buy it for $10.  It'd be like the early days of portable game consoles where you'd get a lot of random 2D platformers instead of having games like call of duty being crammed onto it.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Jeffsekai

Yuuuuuu

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By NickL
@DougQuaid said:
" Wasn't he going to kill himself if Nintendo didn't allow him to put his game on one of their consoles or am I just dreaming? "
He was going to lock himself into a room until they allowed him too i think 

And he did lock himself into his room until the police broke in for some reason if i remember right 
All i remember is that one day i turned on the stream and the room was destroyed and he was gone
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Oh yeah, Bob's new video is nuts. You kind of have to admire his complete insanity. Some of you guys seem to be under the impression that the guy was on a hunger strike, raided by police, etc. though, none of that stuff ever actually happened. It seemed pretty implausible at the tme and he's pretty much admitted since then that it was part of his ad campaign, and that he was simply playing the character of "Bob". In retrospect his chances of getting an SDK from Nintendo were always extremely low but it was a real shame that all his work went to waste, he's been working on porting his game since then but he's been a while without any noticeable activity.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IBurningStar

I just hope this ad campaign is as good as the first one.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By turboman

was there ever a way to play bob's game before?

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By iWonder

Oh Bob, you so crazy. 

Is it bad that I want to play Bob's game? Or get his console? 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By toowalrus

Glad to see this guy's still kickin' around crazyland. Did any of you ever get around to playing his game?

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shadyspace

He's not crazy. He's just a garden variety asshole who does shit like this for publicity. Way to play right into his hand.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

If it wasn't apparent, the console thing is referring to the actual game in which the bottom screen is a game console you play via the touchscreen. 

So yeah. 

Maybe he'll actually release this thing as not a fucking demo for flashcarts at some point.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By FCKSNAP

Holy crap, it's the guy from the first week of official news on giantbomb.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24  Edited By Pepsiman
@Hailinel said:
" @Green_Incarnate said:
Nintendo actually has some strict policies when it comes to applying to become a licensed developer.  In addition to having evidence that you're a credible development house, you also need to have a certain amount of financial stability and an office space with a minimum standard of security, among other requirements.  What it boils down to is that Nintendo needs to know that you're a credible game development studio and not a fuckwit. For competent developers with solid business acumen, the requirements aren't necessarily terribly difficult to accomplish.  For some lone nut like Bob working out of his basement?  Uh, no. "
This is all indeed true when it comes to getting the actual license to sell something on one of their consoles, although for the record, acquiring the actual software and hardware itself through alternative channels isn't particularly hard. You can't legally produce anything commercial with it, granted, but the actual tools and materials can be found pretty easily if you know where and how to look. A few years back I acquired some GameCube SDKs and some other related development stuff for pretty cheap out of curiosity and know that it's only gotten kind of easier in some ways since then.

Just thought I'd throw a different semantic spin in answering that question. It's not getting the tools that's technically the hard part as it is actually getting the license to do something with them, as you've already pointed out.
jamesisaacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jamesisaacs

What was that?

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#26  Edited By Grumbel
@Pepsiman said:
This is all indeed true when it comes to getting the actual license to sell something on one of their consoles, although for the record, acquiring the actual software and hardware itself through alternative channels isn't particularly hard. 
If it just comes to developing for the NintendoDS you don't need an official devkit, a simple flashcard is enough, as the compilers are all Open Source anyway and documentation is also available plenty online. Publishing the game is the hard part, as others have said, if you are a lone bedroom coder its pretty much a no go, Nintendo doesn't want you (which is why all the interesting mobile indie stuff happens on the iPhone).

About the game itself, from the demo I have played a long while back it looked pretty nice, quirky RPG full of gaming culture references, certainly a hell of a lot more interesting then all the shovelware out there.
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By YoThatLimp

"the nD"

"give me your tired, your poor"

What the hell does that mean? 
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's a really awesome concept. A cheap, simple 16 bit portable with an app store. If someone sane told me that, I'd be all over it. But this is Bob we're talking about, so naturally I'm sceptical. And by sceptical, I mean "I know that shit is never going to happen".

E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By E_rock

What's with the tards of yester-year coming back out of the wood work lately?  First Jack Thompson now this dude?   

I have to admit though... I'd much rather hear about him than Thompson.  At least Bob's saga was hilarious in all of its incoherent ramblings.  I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I just remembered the day Bob's live hunger strike stream showed nothing but a night vision cam of his completely destroyed room.  Just the thought of him going buck wild, smashing computers, and tables while ripping lights off the wall is absolutely hilarious.  All over not being able to release that stupid game on the DS...  And how can anyone forget Bob's slew of borderline death threats towards Reggie during his downward spiral?  Classic.  

Publicity stunt or not, that was great entertainment.  

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArchScabby

Hell yeah!  B.O.B console will go hard!

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By niall_sg1

I do like the idea itself, a $10 console. I'd imagine it'd come with a single game and you can't change the game. But then I know it's never gonna happen. 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Niall_Sg1 said:

" I do like the idea itself, a $10 console. I'd imagine it'd come with a single game and you can't change the game. But then I know it's never gonna happen.  "

For $10 I imaging the build quality being extremely poor. Especially the screen, which will be terrible at that price. The overall idea of a cheap, simple 16 bit portable console with an app store is a good one, but $10 is just too low for it to work. And yes, it's never going to happen.
Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Trebz

As fun as his "I'm going slowly insane because Nintendo didn't give me a DS dev SDK" campaign was, it never made me want to play Bob's game. It'll probably be the same with his handheld 

Besides, a worthwhile handheld console for $10 has to be fiction. Scientific calculators sell for more than that.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zeforgotten

Hold on a minute, you're telling me you people kept this idiot alive?  
Even the people who cut themselves for attention thinks this guy is too much

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mattbosten

I love the fact that he included 'touchscreen' on the table of features to point out his console doesn't feature it. Guy is insane, just like his 'marketing'. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#36  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oh yeah. I remember this crazy guy. I wonder if Bob's Game ever came out on some decrepit corner of the internet?

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By time allen
@samusaran253 said:

"   

"
i really want to buy one after watching that.
onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By onarum
@Hailinel said:

" @Green_Incarnate said:

Nintendo actually has some strict policies when it comes to applying to become a licensed developer.  In addition to having evidence that you're a credible development house, you also need to have a certain amount of financial stability and an office space with a minimum standard of security, among other requirements.  What it boils down to is that Nintendo needs to know that you're a credible game development studio and not a fuckwit. For competent developers with solid business acumen, the requirements aren't necessarily terribly difficult to accomplish.  For some lone nut like Bob working out of his basement?  Uh, no. "
Yeah very strict policies, I'm sure to secure only the top quality products for their platforms, yet 90% of DS's/wii's library is composed of useless shovelware.

Also the video got me interested, if he actually ever pulls this off I'll buy that crazy indie 16 bit game focused handheld for sure.