Building a New PC, Suggestions? Opinions?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By TheHBK

Sup guys.  I am finally taking a leap into a brave new world.  After having left PC gaming in favor of the Xbox 360 when it launched, and with new consoles still a ways away, I thought it would be a great time to invest in a new PC and have decided to build it myself.  So before I go and get everything this weekend, I wanted to lay out the parts I have decided on so far and see what you guys think as to what I have and maybe where I could save some money or go a little further. 

CPU 
Core i5 2500k, Sandy Bridge. 

Motherboard 
Gigabyte   LG1155 P67 

RAM 
8 GB (4GBx2) Patriot 1600MHZ 

Video Card 
MSI GTX 560Ti 

Power Supply 
Logisys 500W

Getting a 500 gig hard drive, don't want or need more than that.  Thinking about going for a SSD Drive when Skyrim is out, but we will see how Bethesda does with load times.  DVD drive, case.  And all the little things to go with it.  The whole setup without a monitor or anything else comes in at under 800 bucks without tax.  What do you guys think?    

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By OldGuy

On SSD drives you have to ask yourself: Is lowering load times from 5 seconds to 2 seconds worth $250? Well, is it, punk? :-)

For me, no.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

Sounds good to me, but maybe think about getting yourself a ~$30 CPU cooler, mainly because I'm always a bit iffy about stock coolers and you can't really do any wrong by playing safe.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By monetarydread
@OldGuy said:
" On SSD drives you have to ask yourself: Is lowering load times from 5 seconds to 2 seconds worth $250? Well, is it, punk? :-)  For me, no. "
except its more like taking a 25 second load time down to 3 seconds.
chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chilibean_3

This is pretty close to what I just built.  It's great for the price range but you may want to consider upping the power supply.  I didn't buy a new one when I did my overhaul but ended up having to pick a 650 up a couple weeks later because it didn't have the juice to keep everything running once I started really taxing it.  That may have been because my old supply was 6 years old though.   

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chilibean_3
@AlexW00d said:
" Sounds good to me, but maybe think about getting yourself a ~$30 CPU cooler, mainly because I'm always a bit iffy about stock coolers and you can't really do any wrong by playing safe. "

The temps have been fine for me with the stock coolers for those pieces.  I've got one case fan up front and two in back.  Which is one less fan than my last PC (but I was chasing over heating issues with that build early on).  Is that many case fans normal?  More or less than other people?
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By dagas

Looks good, but invest in a better power supply. 80+ Gold or Silver or at least bronze. A good PSU is a good investment. I'm still using my 5 year old Antec NeoPower, it's quiet and reliable. Corsair and Seasonic are some of the brands that have good PSU's. 

Also don't buy a cheap case, a good case can also last many years, I have an Antec P182. I''d recommend Antec or Silverstone. A good case will cool your equipment better, keep more dust away from the inside, dampen the noise from the computer, make installation easier etc.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Also pretty close to what I just ordered and should hopefully be building tomorrow if it shows up.  Your US prices kick my UK prices' ass.

You should get a better PSU though - you're right on the minimum recommended by Nvidia for this card.  PSU isn't something you want to skimp on, it just isn't worth it.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By stonyman65
@TheHBK:   get a bigger power supply, you'll probably need at least 650W for that system, remember to add up the minimum req. for the GPU and the CPU, and then add in any hard drives and other random stuff.   Basically, what you would want to do is take what you would need minimum to power that build and then add 100 watts too it for some more headroom.  also, be aware as ambient temperature goes up in the summer, your power supply will have to work harder (and run hotter) to get power to all of the components.  I'm building a machine that is very similar to that and I need a 750 watt supply. 

personally, I would stay away from the cheap PSUs like that you posted, just go with something that is quality like a Cosair or Coolermaster or Antec, also spending some extra cash for a modular PSU will be well worth it.    Watch Tested's "how to build a $1500 gaming PC" video - they can explain this much better than I can.  

and SSDs are totally worth it.  use that for your OS and important stuff, and then get a regular drive (like a WD caviar Black drive) for everything else.  

Don't skimp on parts and price, save up and buy good stuff. It is better to wait a few more months and save up to build an awesome machine then it is to spend $800 on parts that will probably have to be upgraded within a few months. 
stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By stonyman65
@MonetaryDread: actually, its about 2 mins down to about 15 seconds.  Once you start to add games and apps stuff takes a bit longer to boot.
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Renahzor

+1 on different PS.  650W+, its worth it for the little bit more you pay, and get a good name brand for that.  The rest of the internals you chose look similar to my build from January aside from a different video card, inexpensive and a nice running machine.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By Geno

Yeah, as above I would recommend upping the power supply. 500W will only ever be good enough for 1 card (and even then certain high end cards push it). 750 or 850 should do nicely.