Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Branthog
@George_Hukas said:

@Branthog: I just realized how successful this campaign is going to be. That promo I mentioned for MW2 and Monster suckered me into picking up a 4-pack one time, for the chance at a map pack or a Jeep™. Ended up with a lame dashboard theme or something. And that was just for a chance to get something.

On a side note, I'm wondering if they would ever hold a double XP event just for Elite members. That would be twice as dirty.

I totally had a good point I was going to make but I forgot because I can hear my neighbor practicing her stupid flute.

That brings up two things. Why does it feel like this is dirtier than a contest where every soda cap could have a code under it to win you a brand new car? Is it because this has a direct reward and you are literally getting a set amount of something in a virtual world in return for buying snacks and it's not just a hat or a skin, but something (XP/gamer score treadmill) that already often has a bit of obsessive connotation?

Also, if you're one of those elite members in a clan that gets extra XP and then you get double XP time, I wonder if you get like quadruple XP? (Probably not, I'm sure it's just that you get whichever one is higher but they don't stack).

Would it seem as sleazy if it were "buy two cases of soda and redeem the codes for your free multiplayer map, today!"? Dirtier?
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By grilledcheez

Haha, that's pretty funny.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By WiqidBritt

think how much money they'd make if they just opened this up as a micro transaction bonus, like a free to play model without the free part

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By George_Hukas

@Branthog: Frankly, all this Call of Duty talk is making me hungry. Again, granted, we'll have to see how it all works out with the 24hr limit, whether its the max you can stack at once or if you are only allotted 24hrs total over your "career". I guess its not that dirty in retrospect. At least people know what they are getting and they're not playing off their hopes of winning an entertainment center.

@WiqidBritt: Pretty much how CoD Elite works. While its certainly not double xp, and its only active members of your clan, you can certainly pay for somewhat increased xp. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if there is weird stipulations attached, like you wont receive the boost if you aren't playing with a couple other members of your clan.

Can't wait for them to announce their hat drop system.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Branthog
@George_Hukas said:

@Branthog: Frankly, all this Call of Duty talk is making me hungry. Again, granted, we'll have to see how it all works out with the 24hr limit, whether its the max you can stack at once or if you are only allotted 24hrs total over your "career". I guess its not that dirty in retrospect. At least people know what they are getting and they're not playing off their hopes of winning an entertainment center.

According to the terms, it's a limit of 24hrs, total as well as a total of up to "750 codes" redeemed on any one account (not sure how that works out since 750 codes would make for way more than 24 hours).

The real potential power here would be offering a big chunk of double XP time in COD when you redeem the code you'll get for pre-ordering another of their lesser known games. I bet you could do that against a new franchise and instantly sell an extra million copies of whatever game it is.
OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By OneManX

IF it was Pepsi, I'd be in I dont care for Mtn Dew.

Doritos, meh I buy a big bag every once and again

But what is stopping you from just writing down the codes off the bag and just doing that?

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By George_Hukas

@Branthog: See, I would be interested in that. For me personally, pre-ordering a game seems more tangible than buying a palette of Dew. Hmm, maybe the 750 code limit means there are more promotions happening in the future, considering they have a system in place to redeem codes in exchange for modified xp. They seriously need to hurry up and announce this stuff.

Since, there's already exclusive Elite weapon skins, I wonder what the odds of MW3 going the way of Gears 3 and TF2 and having a full blown storefront as @WiqidBritt implied to fully take advantage of this micro-transaction generation. I am part of the problem, btw.. I would buy a pink Hello Kitty AK47 in CoD in a heartbeat.

@OneManX: You totally made me think of Pepsi Points... ugh

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By scarace360

i want more battlefield XP for eating crappy food.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Branthog
@OneManX said:

IF it was Pepsi, I'd be in I dont care for Mtn Dew.

Doritos, meh I buy a big bag every once and again

But what is stopping you from just writing down the codes off the bag and just doing that?

I assumed it would be across all Pepsi drink products, but I found nothing specifically indicating that. As for the Doritos - I'm pretty sure it's not *actually* on the bag, but on a card inside the bag. I guess we'll know soon enough.
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Gav47

@Fizzy said:

AMERICA!

FUCK YEAH

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DrPockets000

This pleases me. In a weird way.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Branthog

You know, the more I think about this, the more I see ways this could be used as a sort of gamification of life thing. But rather than rewarding for junk food and consumerism (which I don't personally have anything against), it could do a lot of good.

I'm in my thirties and I think if I got some sort of regular reward in a game like this or an MMO or any number of games I want to play long-term for meeting certain goals in my life, I would strive just a tiny bit harder. I know that sounds stupid. I would tend to say "you should do things because you should do them; not because of a game". Frankly, though, if my doctor could issue me some sort of automatic game-reward in COD or EVE-Online for whatever measurements he placed against me (blood pressure, regular checkups, losing weight, better diet, etc) . . . I would be all over that.  Or . . . what if when grades are entirely online and there's some sort of fingerprint hash tied to your name and grade, you could be rewarded for that. Every B or A gets you some sort of enhancement or benefit.

There'd just have to be a great deal of consideration given to how it's implemented so that while it benefits you it doesn't simultaneously and unfairly impact other people. 

Or . . . have I just become part of the dark side by even thinking about this?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Grissefar said:

Both? What are you? Shooter crazy? Oh I get it, you're one of those people, the ones that played both Bulletstorm, Crysis 2 and Homefront. Anyway that's my offtopic shooter rant sorry, but 15 minutes doesn't seem like much, it would only save me... 15 minutes. Clever promotion but probably not something that's going to move bottles but it will probably do good things for Call of Duty.

yeah I played both of those 3 shooters.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#64  Edited By Enigma777

Ugh...

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#65  Edited By tourgen

A. Mountain Dew is terrible for your body.  Save yourself the trouble and stir sugar into your piss and drink that instead.
B. This promotion says all that needs to be said about both products.  It's in poor taste and it's insulting .

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By WiqidBritt

@George_Hukas: there are enough people that are part of the problem that it's pretty much pointless to even complain about it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Branthog

@tourgen said:

A. Mountain Dew is terrible for your body. Save yourself the trouble and stir sugar into your piss and drink that instead.
B. This promotion says all that needs to be said about both products. It's in poor taste and it's insulting .

I entirely agree, but take exception for Code Red Mountain Dew. I mean, seriously. That stuff is fantastic. Especially if you get some gourmet vanilla ice-cream and make a Code Red Float.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By CptChiken

I guess this will only matter that much in the first few days, after then all the people that usually do will have hit 10th prestige. Seems like the only people who will buy into this is people who actually care about getting to that 10th prestige.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RE_Player1

Not going to lie I like these stupid promotions, like Dr. Pepper with Dead Space, I just don't like that they are never in Canada.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By HandsomeDead
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Branthog

@HandsomeDead said:

@Branthog said:

In slightly related news, the HERO who invented Doritos has died: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/220002/20110926/doritos-arch-west-dead.htm

Stop being a child. You look far and away from being the kind of person who is in any position to critique another's diet. It's like crusader8463 criticizing my social life.

What the fuck are you on about? I said he was a HERO. Doritos are fucking delicious.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By HandsomeDead

@Branthog said:

@HandsomeDead said:

@Branthog said:

In slightly related news, the HERO who invented Doritos has died: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/220002/20110926/doritos-arch-west-dead.htm

Stop being a child. You look far and away from being the kind of person who is in any position to critique another's diet. It's like crusader8463 criticizing my social life.

What the fuck are you on about? I said he was a HERO. Doritos are fucking delicious.

The emphasis combined with the negative tone of the article made me think you were failing to be snarky.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Branthog

@HandsomeDead said:

@Branthog said:

@HandsomeDead said:

@Branthog said:

The emphasis combined with the negative tone of the article made me think you were failing to be snarky.

The promotion and marketing gimmick may be tasteless and tacky, but I have nothing against Doritos. Except some of the weird fucking Taco and Hamburger and other flavors they've put out recently. Kind of the perfect junk food.