Camping Mechanic. Where is it???

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm one of those weirdo's that kept the original Star Wars Galaxies MMO going. As broken to hell it was, it had the best camping mechanic of any game that comes to mind. Nothing like going out to a heavily forested planet and never needing to go back to a city because you could slam down a sick camp. I would spend weeks in real time out in the bush. So are there any good game games that do justice to this mechanic?

No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode.

Don't Starve.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Darkest Dungeon is still Early Access, but it has a pretty great camping mechanic.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The STALKER games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe not what you're looking for.
Maybe not what you're looking for.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

@mosdef: Dude do you recall what the different types of camps in SWG were called? I remember the first time I dropped the largest tent and everyone in the group was so impressed, including me! I loved that game. I still have the original retail box and CDs and everything, too. I quit about two months after unlocking one of the first Jedi slots on Corbantis, right before the NGE.

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I remember camping outside the Tusken Raider fort on Tatooine in massive groups to level up fast. The camp mechanic is gone because of global chat, fast healing, and no long term damage effects that have to be healed. In SWG if you died you would not be able to regain full health, stamina, or mind unless going to the hospital to be healed or cantina to heal your mind. I do miss it. I still remember being in Anchorhead all the time when Imperial players would raid the city causing a massive PVP battle, followed by tons of players waiting to heal, getting buffed, or getting groups together to counterattack Bestine.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdef: While Expeditions: Conquistador is a bit impenetrable and a tad janky, it has a super detailed camping mechanic that takes up a lot of the game and can mean the difference between productive success or a total party wipe. When you camp, you need to set followers to guard (prevent attacks), patrol (find supplies and PoIs), and hunt (get food). But you also need to assign others to cook that food, craft supplies into useful stuff (healing items, etc), and even effectively distribute that food so that morale stays high but you don't eventually run out and have your party die from starvation.

And each member of your party has specific skills in some of those jobs and their effectiveness increases as they do them.

It's complex, but fairly rewarding, and definitely worth a look if you don't like your game to just pause and do nothing at "let's go to fucking bed" time.

Loading Video...

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Honestly, the camping mechanic in SWG was just me creating a macro :| I had the macro set to where it would grind out the camping every night while I slept. I think I maxed it out over just a few days.

The most recent game with a camping mechanic is Darkest Dungeon but its only in larger dungeons.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HH

Dragon's Crown has a good one, choice cuts from the monsters killed are laid out alongside pots and pans over the fire, and there's a mini-game where players have a certain amount of time to cook them up using spices and ingredients for meals that grant buffs.

i love a good camping mechanic, Darkest Dungeon has already been mentioned, and both of these games feel like more qualified rpg's to me because of them.

the change i'd like to see most in future Elder Scrolls games is a good camping system.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Final Fantasy XV will have a camping mechanic, though I'm not sure how it works. (I haven't really been following it that closely, trying to keep myself in the dark).

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I liked camping in Read Dead Redemption and The Witcher. Though I prefer how Witcher 1 handled it opposed to Assassins of Kings. You would actually have to light a fire and sit down to meditate.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By mosdef
joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdef: Cool man. If you're into camping mechanics, that game definitely seems like what you're looking for. And the turn-based strategy (Fire Emblem-ish?) combat is pretty good too. I never beat the game, though, and it does have it's jankier parts, so I can't give it a complete recommendation.

Although, if you keep your eyes on a site like Cheap Shark and wait for a deal, you can probably get it in a bundle for like $4. Or at least cheap enough to not feel too bad if you don't like the game.

Have fun!