Casual games for the PS3?

tac0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tac0

I talked my step father in to getting a PS3 as a bluray player and intro HTPC.  He's interested in getting a game or two as well, and I'm having trouble finding something to recommend.  I'm trying to avoid anything off PSN, which has some great choices (Monkey Island 2 is perfect); I'd like to avoid the hassle of setting up the account, and I think he'd want something tangible for his first game.  He's played games before, but only really casual ones on the PC (Plants vs. Zombies is the last one, I think).  I think Heavy Rain would be great, but I don't think he'd get along with remotely complicated controls (at first, at least).  I know LBP will come up, but I think even that might be a little tough for someone who's never really used a console controller.

So, any ideas on a game that's not on PSN that is (very) simple and fun?

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bibledoctor

Flower. 

It is also an amazing game for people who don't enjoy casual games. Love me some Flower. 

If you do't want anything off the Playstation Store for whatever reason, get GT5.

rrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rrang

Demon's Souls. 

Kidding! Ratchet and Clank Series is always good... pretty easy to get into.   
Unfortunately most PS3 games will have a little barrier of entry for a person using a Dualshock 3 for the first time. Games on the PSN (even though it might take a little more effort to set up) will have simpler games... Pixel Junk Shooter, Tetris, etc.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Littlebigplanet

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Example1013

It takes 5 mins to set up a PSN account. I think you can even do it on a computer now. 

I'm trying to think of easy-to-learn games. It's kind of hard, since I've been playing since I was like 3 (my aunt had a SNES, and I'd play when we visited, even before GameBoys came out). 

Umm, probably something like MvC3 or SSFIV would be good to get into. I don't really like playing Capcom fighting games with a DualShock 3 (the stick is too sensitive, and I end up jumping half the time I try to hadouken), but if that's what he has, it'll be good. 

Going backwards, some throwback PS1 Classics might be good to start with. Spyro and Crash, things like that. Maybe Rock Band? Rock Band is always fun, and guitar controllers are cheap as hell nowadays. 

Tetris is always around. If you can find like Space Invaders and such, that's good as well. 

Honestly, I'd have many more recommendations if you'd said PS2, because there are many good intro games on the PS2 and other earlier consoles, while most PS3 games are quite complex.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
Lego Star Wars? Too cutesy?
It has real standard type controls and if you can find it I'd think it's pretty cheap nowadays.
Plus it has co-op if you have a second controller and wanna help him out.

What's God of War 3's difficulty like?
I haven't played it but those hack-n-slashers always strike me as fairly easy to pick up.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Surkov

He says he's trying to avoid stuff off of PSN, but why read?   

My suggestions:  
-Burnout Paradise 
-LittleBigPlanet 2
-Any Ratchet & Clank game on PS3

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Scapegoat

Red Dead Redemption - stick him on casual aiming and he'll have a blast.

tac0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tac0
@example1013 said:
"I'm trying to think of easy-to-learn games. It's kind of hard, since I've been playing since I was like 3  "
My problem exactly...  I think I'll probably end setting up a PSN account.

I'll have to look at the Lego games too; hadn't thought of those.

Thanks all for the input!
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Burzmali

Does he like pinball? The Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection is pretty good and you should be able to find it very cheap. 

What about golf? Hot Shots Golf is pretty good. 

Really, you should just take the minute or so to make a PSN account on the PlayStation website and get some downloadable games.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By captain_clayman

lol angry birds

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By awesomeusername
@captain_clayman said:
" lol angry birds "
He'll kill himself playing that god damn game!!!!!!
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Example1013
@Surkov: Burnout Paradise is probably one of the worst games I could think of suggesting. I've been playing driving games most of my life, and console driving games since NFS: HP2 (although I started around the time Underground came out), and I still find much of that game hard as shit. Which means I wouldn't recommend the new NFS:HP either, since it's also extremely difficult at many parts. Also, what does Criterion have against manual? 

If you make a PSN account, Final Fantasy Tactics (and really any serviceable turn-based strategy game) is good to pick up, because he can familiarize himself with the controller at his own pace.