Change hurts me.

1nfinitum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By 1nfinitum

I've definitely noticed the crew trying to pick up slack on video content lately, but Daily Dota? I hardly consider that quality content. There's the argument that it's simply supplemental content, and I need not watch it. I totally understand that, but I'm worried that this'll become a trend. For one, unedited long form content is hard enough to pull off, and second, I'm not sure Dota is the platform to create it with. This falls into the same category of endurance runs, it's a whole heck of a lot of content of one game. Imagine if Brad spent an hour playing a different indie game every day, that would probably make for some of the best content Giant Bomb has ever seen.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@1nfinitum: Is this a joke? Did you just make a post to include an old Brad joke?

Change is scary, but we'll face those changes when they actually happen. Worrying about them now is meaningless.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This is definitely going to be an extremly hit and miss feature, which it has already proven to be. But I genuinely think there is gold to be found here. I'll keep it up on the side while doing other stuff for now.

To be fair, I'm way into dota. I can see how this is a completely uninteresting feature for people who aren't.

1nfinitum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 1nfinitum

@dudeglove: This is exactly how I feel. watching high level game play is one thing, but but Brad has never been particularly good at video games. I have a hard time watching him ever since the trials QL and TNT.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have absolutely no familiarity with DOTA and I love Daily Dota. To each their own, I suppose.

froesti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I played the original DOTA for about an 3 matches and I think Daily Dota is awesome for daily content.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Been a lot of change over the past year. A lot of the changes have been hard to take but I support them and the site none the less. I personally don't care for most of the premium videos over the past few months, wednesday was awful, UF is very hit or miss and TNT has had very few good episodes since the buy out; But every now and again we get an awesome video or week of content that makes up for stuff I didn't care about.

Change sucks though, I miss the basement and green screen

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By alternate

I doubt the feature will survive past e3, if it even makes it that far. It is just something to pass the time until new games come out.

In its defence, you either like the game or not. At least it only uses up Brads time, no need for another staffer or anyone in the control room.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I removed the shitty "brad is leaving" jokes but left the topic because this criticism is valid.

However I love the daily dota and I think there are enough enthusiasts in the community to justify it's existence.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been a lot of change over the past year. A lot of the changes have been hard to take but I support them and the site none the less. I personally don't care for most of the premium videos over the past few months, wednesday was awful, UF is very hit or miss and TNT has had very few good episodes since the buy out; But every now and again we get an awesome video or week of content that makes up for stuff I didn't care about.

Change sucks though, I miss the basement and green screen

Agreed on all of this. Speaking of TNT, I haven't watched in quite a while; do they even play multiplayer games with the community anymore? Last time I watched it seemed like that was a thing of the past and TNT had really just become Unprofessional Thursdays. I'm probably wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten from... well, not actually watching it, so...

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By 49th

He should continue doing daily DOTA but play different games.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I find DOTA matches to be pretty boring, but I still watch anywhoo because there's some surprisingly great chemistry between Brad, Kessler and Matt.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi

Part of me wants to try DOTA its all pretty and colorful and stuff but I don't want to go down that deep dark rabbit hole.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Also DOTA is a pretty deep rabbit hole if you are doing it alone. The best way to learn DOTA is to have other people who are also into the game and learn from them and fortunately for Brad he's got a lot of them. That's how I got into DOTA in the first place a few years ago in college

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man, some of you can be real pricks with your aggressive expectations. This site is what they (giant bomb) want it to be, and their vision has been very successful for the 5 years this site has been active. Its as simple as this: dont watch what you dont like. Would you try to tell your favorite band how to write their music? I know I sure as hell wouldnt, I give them my trust and patience, and hope to be rewarded. If no reward comes, then I show more caution and lower my expectations(which is not the case, as I believe in what this site is doing for the industry). Obviously you are entitled to voice your opinion, but dont act like such dicks about it. Nothing gets solved that way

Tom_Scherschel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you really don't like the content being provided then vote with your dollars and drop the premium membership. Personally, I have no interest in Daily Dota but the guys put up so much content per day that there is always something else I do want to see (really, there is more content per day than I have time to watch). Plus, the diversity of content being provided as each editor burrows deeper into a specific genre is really great.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Same here. I got bored during the TNT and only watched a bit of the first DOTA episode. I'm curios how long until they cancel it.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alekss said:

@dudeglove: Same here. I got bored during the TNT and only watched a bit of the first DOTA episode. I'm curios how long until they cancel it.

About as long as Professional wednesdays.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys. Brad just left Giant Bomb to become a professional DOTA2 player. I told you DOTA2 was the devil!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I have no interest in DOTA, and I simply don't watch Daily DOTA. Not every single piece of content on the site has to appeal to me.

spykereightsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Daily DOTA only exists b/c Jeff is out of the office. I can't imagine he would've allowed so much DOTA/Monster Hunter content. Ha!

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By geirr

I love the Daily DOTA even if I don't give a shit about DOTA, so there's that.

@yummylee said:

I find DOTA matches to be pretty boring, but I still watch anywhoo because there's some surprisingly great chemistry between Brad, Kessler and Matt.

I just keep quoting you today! I don't think the matches are boring but that's because of the chemistry mentioned. I wouldn't care otherwise.

Zoeytrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no interest in DOTA so I don't watch the videos. Brad's playing the game anyway so why not stream & archive it on the site?

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stupid thread is stupid.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't care less about Dota 2, but participating in the chat is always a good time. You duders are never not hilarious.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Put all the 'Brad's leaving' jokes aside, I just wish Brad wasn't in so many videos, I dislike his personally always coming off as smug, dismissing peoples arguments before he fully knows what they're saying, and is overall not really entertaining to listen to. But no, Patrick has to leave videos behind, he's one of the few that I actually enjoyed in quicklooks or the podcast.

1nfinitum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 1nfinitum

I couldn't care less about Dota 2, but participating in the chat is always a good time. You duders are never not hilarious.

The chat is way too much for me, I can't handle it. It's uncivilized.

If it really is true that this'll go away once everybody's back in the office and content is coming at a more steady pace, then I don't have a problem with it. But it still begs the question, what if this time was put towards exploring games that wouldn't get air time on the site any other way. If Patrick starts making less content, that'll be a huge hit to most if not all indie coverage on the site.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Loading Video...

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

It is nice to see one of the guys actually into a game, the who weekly trend of games here is a little lame IMO.

If one of the duders was really into Halo, and actually descent at it I sure would love to watch and participate in the games, if only.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33 sweep  Moderator

@sweep said:

I removed the shitty "brad is leaving" jokes but left the topic because this criticism is valid.

However I love the daily dota and I think there are enough enthusiasts in the community to justify it's existence.

I suggest starting a "sweep is leaving" in-joke. Ya never know, it could take off big time.

I would never leave you, Dudeglove

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never understand the idea that every piece of content needs to appeal to everyone.

sciential

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't like DOTA, don't like Brad, don't like supporting his bald-faced effort to turn his playtime into site content but I also don't care: Daily DOTA videos are entertaining.

UnPro Fridays is far better on average than Happy Hour ever was.

I wish instead of forcing a TNT when nothing was out they would skip weeks and then do longer ones when a big new multi-player game comes out. I have nothing against You Don't Know Jack but does it really call for more TNT than a brand-new Injustice: Gods Among Us?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel similarly. Mad respect to Brad for opting to produce daily content this way, that's super cool, but I mostly just wish there was some alternative for those who don't want to watch Brad mumble while playing Dota. At least P4/Deadly Premonition endurance runs had pretty universal entertainment factor.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love Daily DOTA! Also it's by far the easiest content to produce. Furthermore, Brad finally seems to embrace his role as "The eSports-guy". I would love GB to cover the really broad strokes in the eSports world.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By JoeyRavn
@meatball said:

I feel similarly. Mad respect to Brad for opting to produce daily content this way, that's super cool, but I mostly just wish there was some alternative for those who don't want to watch Brad mumble while playing Dota. At least P4/Deadly Premonition endurance runs had pretty universal entertainment factor.

See, that there is the problem with that logic. We have to agree that no matter what the staff does, there will always be someone who just doesn't like it. Be it Daily Dota, Bioforge, Quick Looks, Endurance Run or lack thereof... People will always complain that "this is not what they want, this is not quality content". The Endurance Runs were fun and games until Patrick and Ryan decided to play Chrono Trigger, and all hell broke loose. People weren't angry: they lost their fucking shit. The Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition may have been entertaining for a majority (not for the whole community, though), but the moment they started a game that didn't click with some people, the ER lost its validity. Deciding what to do based on how the community may react is a very hit or miss tactic.

Brad is playing something he enjoys, and he lets everyone watch him doing so. What's the problem with that? Join him if you want, skip the content if you want. Either way, there's no way to produce anything that will satisfy the whole Giant Bomb, so live and let live.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn said:
@meatball said:

Brad is playing something he enjoys, and he lets everyone watch him doing so. What's the problem with that? Join him if you want, skip the content if you want. Either way, there's no way to produce anything that will satisfy the whole Giant Bomb, so live and let live.

This is precisely what I've been doing rather than harping on about the fact that the Dota feature isn't to my taste. I think it's great that Brad is doing something he enjoys and that it's a daily thing for people with similar tastes to enjoy. It's awesome that Brad has committed to doing this thing every day.

Like I said, I just wish there were some alternative content being streamed daily or something. For me it's like watching all of these people enjoying themselves at some party while I'm stuck outside looking through the window in the rain. :P

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I have absolutely no familiarity with DOTA and I love Daily Dota. To each their own, I suppose.

Same boat. It's a refreshing change from the typical Giantbomb content.