Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By mracoon

What this, an informative and interesting programme about videogames? Why yes it is and if you've seen any other of Charlie Brooker's shows (Newswipe and Screenwipe) then you know exactly what you're in for.

Gameswipe takes a look at a brief history of gaming and how it's represented in the media in Brooker's usual comic style (somewhat similar to Yahtzee, who himself said Brooker was an inspiration).

The best part about the show is that it doesn't treat gamers like idiots even though a lot of it's audience haven't necessarily played many games. Charlie Brooker actually used to write for PC Zone, so he's knows what he's talking about when it come to games.

You can watch it here on the iPlayer. (NOTE: It's only available to be viewed by people in the UK, sorry everybody else but it'll probably end up on Youtube anyway).

So anybody else see the show? What did you think?

EDIT: I found it on Youtube for all you non-Brits. It's the first three parts but you'll find the rest of  the parts quite easily if you want to see the rest.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By evanbrau

Really enjoyed it but thought there were too many guests and it came off that they were being fed a script rather than talking from actual experience.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Hamz

Brilliant show, better than most documentary looks at video games.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FlipperDesert

I missed it, but this is timely as I've been watching all things screen/newswipe on the youtubes. That was especially strange when it actually showed an episode of screenwipe on the youtube channel I was watching in an episode of screenwipe.

I wish there were more shows as good as his.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Steve_C

Some bits came off as a bit uninformed, but i enjoyed it. If they decide to bring it out properly as a series then i hope it isn't as jam-packed. It also seemed weird how for modern FPS's it focused on Wolfenstein for minutes, only showing a slither of Halo 3 footage, and no COD4 (though it briefly appeared later) or Killzone 2 either.

My favourite part was listening to those two scots ramble on about british retro games.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

just watched it, I thought it was a very good look into games, especially from a more adult point of view. I liked that it didn't try to  go for the "look, games are art" angle as a kind of defence which seems to be how a lot of adults try to justify their hobby to their non game playing friends. 

if i was to take an issue with it , it would be lumping beat-em-ups  into the same category as fighting games.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I watched it and really enjoyed it. Would like to see this made into a series.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By turbomonkey138

Fucking awesome

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By mracoon

I embedded the first three parts of the show into my original post. I found them on Youtube so enjoy.

manurok1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By manurok1

Everything that Charlie Brooker does tends to be brilliant but this might be even better than SW and NW. I really enjoyed it and apparantly it did very well with viewers so I wouldn't be suprised if it is made into a series.

Mgsfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Mgsfreak

I remember jet set willy that game was awesome, Pure british retro shite.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike