Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

I've gotten so used to Steam Cloud and Battle.net 2.0 saves with my games and I always wondered why other games don't do this on consoles.  Technically they do with their multiplayer side but for single player they really should let you do this.  I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who owns at least two of a console, and I know people here have friends who own the same consoles.  The idea of carrying a USB to constantly save on that is silly.    

So for the love of god, the bandwidth can't be that much...and Steam can do it with ease.  All I want is cloud saving, I want to be able to save on a server...go into another room and keep playing, or go to a friend's house and play my campaign there.  

It gets annoying when the theater room is being used, and I can't play GT5 on the PS3 in my room...as GT5 has protective saves.    

If Sony put Cloud Saves on PSN+, I'd be more than willing to pay the 50 bucks a year just for that.  That's how important it is for me, and it's something that Valve and Blizzard have gained my trust with.  

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By melcene

I'm... not sure what I think of it.  I don't use Steam or play online Battlenet, but MMOs always save server-side.  I've always liked that no matter how many times I've formatted or upgraded my computer, or whatever, if I go back to, for instance, EQ where I started in 1999, my characters that I made in 1999 are still there.  So I guess I'm for it.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

I doubt this will happen.  It's a cool feature, but most people simply don't need it.  I didn't even know Steam and Battle.net 2.0 had my saves in a cloud.

Protected save files do blow balls though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Completely  agree, man. A couple of my friends have PS3's, as does my brother, so it's a total fucking hassle when I go round to theirs and we can't carry on from where one of us had played to last. I recently went round to a friends with the intention of playing some BttF: The Game, but it occurred to me that I'd only get so far then have to replay it at home (despite loading my Steam Client to run the game).

P.B. Winterbottom is the only game I've ever played that asked me if I wanted to upload my profile to a cloud. 

As far as I'm concerned, where applicable, and obviously within server restrictions, cloud storage should ALWAYS be offered.  

@Spoonman671 said:

" I doubt this will happen.  It's a cool feature, but most people simply don't need it.  I didn't even know Steam and Battle.net 2.0 had my saves in a cloud.  Protected save files do blow balls though. "  
 So true. To get round the lack of cloud storage, my brother put his FFXIII saves on a flash drive and attempted to access them on his profile on my PS3. Why would the save be protected? It makes absolutely no sense, even in terms of trophies.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

The weird thing is that the PS1 had cloud saves, in some form, but modern consoles don't. The hell, modern console makers?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spoonman671
@GetEveryone said:
"
@Spoonman671 said:
" I doubt this will happen.  It's a cool feature, but most people simply don't need it.  I didn't even know Steam and Battle.net 2.0 had my saves in a cloud.  Protected save files do blow balls though. "  
 So true. To get round the lack of cloud storage, my brother put his FFXIII saves on a flash drive and attempted to access them on his profile on my PS3. Why would the save be protected? It makes absolutely no sense, even in terms of trophies. "
Some companies copy protect their saves in order to prevent hacks.  In the past games/consoles have been cracked by using save data.
MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MarcusOfLycia

Only if I can keep my local saves. What would happen, say, if I purchased a game years after it came out and near the end of its company's support, and so suddenly couldn't save my game anymore? I'd probably just stop playing console games, to be honest.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
@MarcusOfLycia: Steam and Battle.net 2.0 always save a backup when the cloud save goes up.  Then when you get the net back, or when the server comes back up you can upload the newer save.  Valve and Blizzard thought that out, and I have yet to run into a problem.
Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cameron
@Video_Game_King: 

Could you clarify what you mean? The PS1 didn't have online support, so it couldn't have cloud support.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely agree, at least keep recent back ups of saves in the cloud.  I still want the local saves, which steam lets me keep so as long as it's done intelligently I'm all for it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

I just want backwards compatibility and all my downloadble content to transfer to the next system, if  that doesn't happen I don't think I can continue playing video games the traditional way anymore. By traditional I mean with a console from the big 3. 

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By niamahai

Probably will be the 'premium user' feature for XBL and PSN+.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By lego_my_eggo
@KaosAngel said:
" It gets annoying when the theater room is being used, and I can't play GT5 on the PS3 in my room...as GT5 has protective saves.   "
I believe they patched it so you can backup your save, unless your taking about some other protection they have locking it to a specific ps3.

And even if its just 20MB of cloud storage for a profile, that is enough for a good bit of saves and is probably not that expensive.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Sambambo
@Video_Game_King
The weird thing is that the PS1 had cloud saves, in some form, but modern consoles don't. The hell, modern console makers?
It had no online...

What are you talking about?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Cameron: 

There was an online service where you could upload your saved games online or something. I'm having trouble finding it, but I remember seeing a video of it on Classic Gaming Room, maybe.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
@Lego_My_Eggo: Oh shit, I gotta re-try USB transferring GT5 saves then.  I tried it a few weeks back and it wouldn't let me load it, despite being on the same PSN account.   

"  And even if its just 20MB of cloud storage for a profile, that is enough for a good bit of saves and is probably not that expensive. "

20MB x 10,000,000 PS4 = 195,312.5 GB = 190.734863 TB.   

Not expensive at all, and considering the PS4 is out 2013-ish...it should be much cheaper then too.  Sony could do this as a standard service, and seeing as Valve/Blizzard can do it for free, so should Sony at least.
Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Swaboo
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Cameron:   There was an online service where you could upload your saved games online or something. I'm having trouble finding it, but I remember seeing a video of it on Classic Gaming Room, maybe. "

you are probably thinking of gameshark or something where you could manually upload a save file online and other people could download them. The idea of a cloud server would be that your save files would be linked to your account and you could access them from anywhere after you logged on. Personnally having had ps3 crap out on me and losing a bunch of save files, an automatic backup of them online would have been pretty nice.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Swaboo: 

It wasn't GameShark, though; it was a separate third party thing. Damn it, I wish I knew what it was called.
1upmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 1upmuffin

I agree that this would be a great feature for consoles, it would be nice to go over to a friends house, quickly log into to online profile, load character info, and be able to play co-op games with your own characters. Or, if you have 2 of the same console, you can start playing on one system, and continue playing on the other at the same save point.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By rjaylee

I like the idea. At the very least, I'd like to be able to toggle or at least choose to save to the cloud, and still be able to choose to save locally or on a memory card/stick or whatever too.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BigLemon

Yeah, I think it would be a great option, but it shouldn't be the only option. You could still have the physical hard drive in the console, but then the cloud save system could be built into whatever the next gen iteration of on-line service is.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Demyx

I personally don't have much of a need for Cloud Saves.

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DarkTravesty

if its an option thats sewn into gold or something for convenience then sure i'm all for it. not sure how i'd feel if it was some kind of mandatory deal. i still like carrying my saves on hdd/usb stick.

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DarkTravesty
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Swaboo:   It wasn't GameShark, though; it was a separate third party thing. Damn it, I wish I knew what it was called. "

the dexdrive?
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DexDrive
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

it would be a good feature man. it would be a good feature except i don't go out that much to use steam on another computer.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By ch13696

This should have been a standard ever since the Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony were able to update their consoles.  

EDIT: Then again, that's why Valve is working with Sony to add in Steamworks. Thank god for that company.

MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MarcusOfLycia
@KaosAngel:  In the case I have a local copy, I'm fine with it, and actually really like it as a back-up mechanism. I just don't like having to rely exclusively on it. Its one reason I never got into MMO's. All my work dies the moment the company shuts down the servers, and the longer I wait to get a game, the less time I can play it.
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I don't see why they won't do this, maybe it'll be a PSN+ and Gold Feature later on or a next gen thing (still being a gold and + thing). They'll try make money out of it, but atleast have it. I know I'd love it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King
@DarkTravesty: 

Hooray! Somebody found it. That's what I was talking about.
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@heatDrive88 said:
" I like the idea. At the very least, I'd like to be able to toggle or at least choose to save to the cloud, and still be able to choose to save locally or on a memory card/stick or whatever too. "
I'd rather it do both...
Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lavapotamus

It'd be convenient, but at the very least I'd be happy to be rid of whatever is preventing me from using saves on different consoles as a compromise. Your idea is more convenient, but I'm more than capable of carrying saves around with me on a thumb drive if I would only be allowed to use them elsewhere. If they're locked just to prevent achievement/trophy hoarders, than that's stupid. Those people can have their imaginary funpoints, I just want a more convenient experience for my money. Video games are meant to be entertaining, after all. Inconveniencing the audience is a pretty surefire way of hindering their entertainment.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai
@KaosAngel: I remember reading something about Sony and MS working on some sort of cloud computing.  
unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By unchained

I completely agree with the OP. Not having to worry about your game saves when a console/hard drive goes tits up really takes a lot of the sting away. 

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dungbootle

I totally agree, but I don't like the idea of having to pay for the service.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Vao

to do it right the saved files would be saved locally then synced to the cloud, thats how steam works. so say 20 years down the road the game company did go belly up you still have the traditional saved files locally.   

I would love cloud saves and how memory is online these days wouldn't be to hard. "hell Google gives 7.5gigs worth of free storage on their email. 

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Trebz

Heck, most Steam games don't even have Steam Cloud support.  

I'm all for cloud-saving becoming a standard. It seems natural, especially on systems where bringing saves to another person's house isn't as easy as "unplug hard drive and take it with you."

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#37  Edited By Lazyaza

If cloud saves were standard on ps3 I could upgrade my hard drive finally and actually use it how I want to.  I've had to delete saves and game data for ages now just to be able to play new games on the damn thing.
Right now my only options are buy a big pricey usb stick or a freaking second ps3, fuck that. 

If the next wave of consoles don't have big ass hard drives and cloud saves I will be pissed.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By Levio

Someone would have to pay for the save file storage costs.  Who would it be?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KaosAngel
@Levio: More than likely Xbox Live Gold would charge for it, but I could see PSN doing it for free down the road.  It's already free on Valve and Blizzard.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By shiftymagician
@ShaunassNZ said:
" @heatDrive88 said:
" I like the idea. At the very least, I'd like to be able to toggle or at least choose to save to the cloud, and still be able to choose to save locally or on a memory card/stick or whatever too. "
I'd rather it do both... "
For performance's sake, it better be both with proper timings.  Should they make cloud save systems more important in the next iteration, console and online service developers would have to ensure most saves and loads are done locally, with periodical syncs to the cloud version of the save data.  Just doing both for every save for every single person every single time a save is initiated would just be wasting resources.

I, along with many other people, have appreciated how convenient cloud saves really are so that any computer I go to can start my game where I left off so much.  Not making this a priority feature in the next cycle would be a mistake for all developers working on the next batch of consoles or online game services.