Could a Pre-War Fallout prequel game work?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

So all the Fallout games are in the apocalypse after nuclear weapons fell down because of World War 3, but would you guys wanna play a game that explained the events that led to the war? Or read a book about it? Or watch a movie?

And how are things with the rest of the world? Also, when the hell are people gonna start rebuilding stuff?

The Fallout world seems really interesting to me and I wanna know more, also, the war began in 2077 and yet everything is 50's style, how exactly do they explain that? did the world stop changing at that point in the universe and all the ideals and ideas from the 50's never went away? Been playing way to much New Vegas and I started thinking about this stuff

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust
@Venatio said:

"...the war began in 2077 and yet everything is 50's style, how exactly do they explain that? did the world stop changing at that point in the universe and all the ideals and ideas from the 50's never went away?..."

Who says this is our world?  You should look at the Fallout Wiki's timeline to see how our world differs from theirs.  Also, the Fallout Bible might answer some of your questions. 

I think a novel might work since some people are into reading stories set in a game world, but a movie would just be another version of Wargames,Thirteen Days Fail-Safe Testament, or The Day After.  In other words, another pre-apocalypse then (in some cases) apocalypse movie.  Movies are expensive, so a book would be easier for the small group of people interested in the subject.  As for a comic, I'm not sure what would be thrilling about people in suits going to work before the bombs drop.  There was a TV mini-series called World War III made back in the early 80's in which the Soviets invade Alaska that you might try an hunt down ( YOUTUBE clip see notes for complete movie).  If you just want a read a story about WWIII, check out Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising and Harold Coyle's Team Yankee (novel & comic).  I read them both ages ago so they were written before the collapse of Soviet communism.  For a different take on the subject there was a pencil & paper RPG series called Twilight 2000/2013 set in World War III.  There might be resource material out for that to satiate your curiosity.  Oh and check out the movies A Boy and His Dog [ Trailer ] and Radioactive Dreams [ clip ] if you want something with a strong Fallout flavor.
zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By zegolf
@Venatio: I doubt they're really be able to make a good game about the events leading up to Fallout.  Plus, there was a lot of time that passed between the events of Fallout, and when the war began, so there'd be a ton of disconnect.

I don't know, just seems to me like it would be a generic war shooter at that point.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

As a game, no. At that point it would not be Fallout.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MrKlorox
@Tennmuerti said:

" As a game, no. At that point it would not be Fallout. "

Precisely.

As a book leading up to the incidents, perhaps.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

Maybe they could do some weird flashback sequence, like put the tutorial in pre-war soldier training or something. But for a full game? Hell no, the whole point of Fallout is the post-apocalyptic setting.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karl_Boss

No

zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zegolf
@EpicSteve said:
" Maybe they could do some weird flashback sequence, like put the tutorial in pre-war soldier training or something. But for a full game? Hell no, the whole point of Fallout is the post-apocalyptic setting. "
Sort of like the did with the Operation: Anchorage DLC?
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#10  Edited By sammo21

I just want a new engine and a new location, maybe New York or overseas?  New York would be cool with its spires and locations, but it could be interesting to go all over the world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It would be called, "Not yet at the point of a Fallout".

zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zegolf
@sammo21: According to the timeline, there was a reactor that almost went critical in New York.  That would be a cool setting, if they did it right, but even still this wouldn't work as a pre-war game.
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#13  Edited By sammo21
@zegolf: oh no, I was meaning in typical Fallout setting, no pre-war or anything.  I also agree that it would be Leave It To Beaver only an FPS, lol.  Maybe we play as a newly created Super Mutant in the next one who has to make it while being pretty shunned?  Like we start out in the role of a companion and then get famous or something...that could be fun?
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

As a game I don't think it'd really feel like Fallout and I'd be very sceptical of a Fallout movie, as I usually am of all video games movies, but I think it could work as a book. I don't think the games are going to explore what's happening outside the US in any massive detail as being US-centric has always been a big part of the games. Also, considering the state the world has been left in rebuilding is going to be a very slow process, not only must it be hard to come across modern construction means in the post-apocalyptic wasteland but most people seem to have enough trouble just trying to stay alive, let alone trying to rebuild civilisation.

As for why the world is stuck with its 50s style that's the part of the Fallout fiction that I think pushes the boundaries of plausibility just a little. The idea is that after World War II it was considered a golden age and humanity was seen as being at its pinnacle so they just stopped advancing culture and seemingly to some degree technology. So they've ended up with a world that has sentient robots and laser guns but computers still run command line systems and it seems almost no new music has been made for about 120 years.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marcsman

War never chnages 
Fallout never changes 
No
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By EpicSteve
@zegolf said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" Maybe they could do some weird flashback sequence, like put the tutorial in pre-war soldier training or something. But for a full game? Hell no, the whole point of Fallout is the post-apocalyptic setting. "
Sort of like the did with the Operation: Anchorage DLC? "
Yeah, but not virtual reality, and maybe something that actually showed you standard society.
Piririn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Piririn

in Fallout: Origins you play as a citizen making his way through a mundane everyday existens. 
Gameplay is very similar to The Sims™  franchise, that is, UNTIL THE BOMBS HIT! 
When the timer runs out you have to find a vault or succumb to the A-bomb... 

Rated E for everyone
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Doctorchimp

The problem is the main institutions of the Fallout alternate universe (FUCK MOTHERSHIP ZETA) are the ones who made the big decisions and ended the world so as an individual you wouldn't be doing anything constructive or meaningful. There would be rules still and you wouldn't be able to make a lot of progress as a character...unless you want a combat game which isn't why I play Fallout at all.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, not really. I feel that what happened before the war doesn't really matter much to the actual storylines of the games.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Yanngc33

it was kind of already done in the DLC and that weird dream level in Fallout 3
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Fallout: Origins. The lead-up is pretty prosiac, resource wars between the US and China, so no, I'm not sure it would be an interesting game.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I could get into a game that takes place during the war. But at that point it may as well just be a standard FPS.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince

As long as the game ended with the whole Fallout universe being nuked by a million shells.