Did FFX13 flop?

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AnimalFather

Theres usually a big hopla over a new FF game coming out and for this nothing. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

5 million sales or so worldwide. 

No thats not a flop.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By ZenaxPure

Fastest selling FF game to date with roughly over 4 million actually sold. 

Yep, a total flop.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Rhaknar

it did went very cheap very fast in the UK, which probably means it peaked very fast

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By skywing

I wanted it to flop, but such was not the case. 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jadeskye
@Rhaknar: it's final fantasy, any fans would have picked it up first day. that game probably peaked around the end of week 1.
Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Mono_Listo

If it has "Final Fantasy" in the title, it will sell enough in Japan to buy everyone working at Square/Enix a home. So I'm going to assume no.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure
@jadeskye said:
" @Rhaknar: it's final fantasy, any fans would have picked it up first day. that game probably peaked around the end of week 1. "
And really most popular but not MW2/Mario Kart Wii level games do the same thing, only thing coming to mind now but I bought Borderlands, that sold reasonably well, for $35 or so a few months ago. There are plenty of other examples out there though.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shirogane

From memory, FFXIII got more coverage and marketing than FFXII. I don't remember ANYTHING for that game at all. 

Also,  X13 isn't out yet, but we'll get there eventually. Probably.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11  Edited By natetodamax

Not even close.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lucas_kelly

No it didn't, but it still doesn't mean its a good game.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

If we just look at FFXIII's North American sales on PS3 & 360, according to VGChartz, the game shipped/sold 1.73 million units, while Mass Effect 2 shipped/sold 1.25 million units in the same region.  Now, Mass Effect 2 also had PC sales which aren't tracked by the site, but even if we are very generous and add an additional 25% of the console sales to that total number it still doesn't equal what Final Fantasy XIII has accomplished.  So, while FFXIII numbers are not as impressive as Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield Bad Company 2, in relation to other high profile RPG's, it's done very well.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jadeskye
@PenguinDust: thats crazy when you think about it. Final fantasy 13 sold more then Mass effect 2. I've S-ranked both those games and ME2 is the better game by Far IMO.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZenaxPure
@PenguinDust: er, according to the NPD numbers for the month the game came out 13 beat out BC2 here in the states. But MW2 on the other hand, yeah that's one of those games.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust
@Zenaxzd: 

Yeah, I added Battlefield because according to this Patrick Klepek article on G4TV written yesterday, EA's sales figures for North America and Europe put Bad Company 2 at "over" 5 million.  The report is also the reason why I wrote "shipped/sold".  EA puts the Mass Effect 2's number at 1.6 million, but early release reports claimed 2 million units shipped.  As we know, game companies often point to units shipped as a sign of success and therefore those numbers are somewhat unreliable.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZenaxPure

I see, makes sense. BC2 just seemed weird to me is all. It isn't really one of those crazy popular games like MW2 or Mario Kart wii as much as some people want to believe.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jadeskye
@Zenaxzd: Battlefield has always sold very well. i've not played BC2 yet but if it's anything like it's predecessors it'll carry weight for some time to come. I imagine it met it's target and exceeded it.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo

Did FFXIII end up outselling Mass Effect 2 worldwide?  I kinda hope it did after all the trash talking about JRPGs that was coming out of Bioware.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZenaxPure
@jadeskye: I'm not saying it isn't selling well but when you look at a game like MW2 it's just not the same. That game is at what, 15 million or something ridiculous? I can't see BC2, or even FF13 reaching those sorts of numbers ever.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Jimbo: I don't know for sure but there is a high chance it did/will simply because the Japanese market that bought near 2 million FF13's don't give 2 shits about Mass Effect 2.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jadeskye
@Zenaxzd said:
" @jadeskye: I'm not saying it isn't selling well but when you look at a game like MW2 it's just not the same. That game is at what, 15 million or something ridiculous? I can't see BC2, or even FF13 reaching those sorts of numbers ever. "
I don't think the two are a fair comparison. Bad company 2 cost about 25 million dollars to make. Modern warfare cost 200 million, a good chunk of it was advertising and marketing.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZenaxPure
@jadeskye: Yes yes I agree, that was particularly my point - they are 2 different "tiers" of games so to speak, I just thought it was weird to see them both mentioned together in regards to being "high sellers". BC2 is more of on the same level FF13 in regards to sells, MW2 is off on it's own hanging out with various Nintendo products.
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StrikeALight

Nope.  

The series is still well-past it's best, though.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Zenaxzd said:
" Fastest selling FF game to date with roughly over 4 million actually sold.  Yep, a total flop. "
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By haggis

Sure, FF13 outsold ME2, but ME2 was a console-exclusive title and FF13 wasn't. So it's a little difficult to compare the sales figures. If ME2 had been released on PS3, I suspect the domestic sales would have been slightly higher for ME2. Still, FF13 wasn't a flop by any means.  That said, I think Square was expecting sales to be higher than they actually were for FF13. It was a solid success.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JCGamer
@jadeskye said:
" @PenguinDust: thats crazy when you think about it. Final fantasy 13 sold more then Mass effect 2. I've S-ranked both those games and ME2 is the better game by Far IMO. "
I'm playing Mass Effect 2 now having just finished FFXIII and I have to say I'm having a lot more fun with Mass Effect than FF.  Speaking of sales, didn't Pachter predict that ME2 wouldn't be a huge seller (on the level of MW2).  While almost 2 million is a decent number not quite the figure the fan-boys were hoping for.  I think his prediction was spot on.
Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lawrens

Isn't this the best selling FF ever? It's a success interms of sales.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Kyreo
@lucas_kelly said:
" No it didn't, but it still doesn't mean its a good game. "
This exactly.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Shadow

No, the 13th game in the final fantasy 10 series did not flop.

baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By baelrrogg

Good game, good sales. Case closed.
Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Earthborn
@skywing said:
"I wanted it to flop, but such was not the case.  "

I laughed.  

But seriously, they've made enough of this series.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mutha3

Sales wise definitely not.

Quality wise, though? I thought it was pretty damn bad....but I found it to be less terrible then 7,8,10 and 10-2.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheHBK

No, not a flop itself, but for the FF series?  Yes.  I think the crappy quality of the gameplay, and shitty ass port job Square did will come back to bite them with much spepticism until FFXV since 14 is gonna be a MMO.  Imagine if X had pissed off so many people and then they came out with 11.  MMOs are not accesible to everyone, not in the way a normal FF game is.  Nope, this game sold super well, but it will cost Square Enix a lot more in the long run.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Brendan

It sold really well, but I'm personally kind of over Final Fantasy.  Since this gen, Oblivion, ME 1 & 2, and Dragon Age have given me better experiences than any Squeenix offerings.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ZenaxPure
@TheHBK: FF14 isn't the next "big thing", a very small group of people are actually interested in it. 13 didn't piss most people off either. The people angry or hating on the game are people like you who haven't even played it or people that stated from the start they were going to hate it well before the game ever released, this notion that the quality of the game is bad is just a figment of most peoples imagination who will never even play the game and won't effect the future of the series anyway, you can tell yourself whatever you want but the reality is Final Fantasy is such a huge series it will always be a major thing when the next is released, because it's a game that people who normally don't play games will buy.

That said, the next major release will indeed "flop" compared to Final Fantasy 13 as far as numbers are concerned, and this is because it is coming out solely for the PS3. 
baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By baelrrogg
@TheHBK:
I doubt it wil, they are already geared up for at least one more game runing the same engine and another on PSP. I am very pleased with  SE for taking such risks with FF and actually moving the series forward.  The negatie attention surrounding it is no different than any game beore it in the series (some ppl hated 8, 9, X etc).  

The thing is, from now on this is how JRPGs will play until SE makes a new FF battle system for all Jap devs to copy.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zombie2011
@JCGamer said:
" @jadeskye said:
" @PenguinDust: thats crazy when you think about it. Final fantasy 13 sold more then Mass effect 2. I've S-ranked both those games and ME2 is the better game by Far IMO. "
I'm playing Mass Effect 2 now having just finished FFXIII and I have to say I'm having a lot more fun with Mass Effect than FF.  Speaking of sales, didn't Pachter predict that ME2 wouldn't be a huge seller (on the level of MW2).  While almost 2 million is a decent number not quite the figure the fan-boys were hoping for.  I think his prediction was spot on. "
Of course that prediction was spot on, no one thought ME2 would sell like MW2. ME2 is still an RPG not a shooter so most people will pass on it.
Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Solh0und

Sales wise: No 
 As a FF game: Yes

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho

Sold under expectation. Floundered, didn't flop. I'll put it this way, Avatar took as long to make as FF13.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho
@baelrrogg said:
"  The thing is, from now on this is how JRPGs will play until SE makes a new FF battle system for all Jap devs to copy. "
Except nobody really did that for FF12, except Dragon Age recently. (I enjoyed both, by the way, before anyone bitches about the obvious parallels in the battle system) 
Fact is this isn't really a foregone conclusion anymore like it was in the wake of FFX or FF7.
obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By obcdexter
@baelrrogg said:
from now on this is how JRPGs will play until SE makes a new FF battle system for all Jap devs to copy. "
So, so wrong ...
baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By baelrrogg
@solh0und:
I still don't see why ppl in this thread like to se it as a failure for FF. It broke the series record.
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By veektarius

FFXIII was not a flop, but I have to imagine that the business it's done for Squenix is less than they need if they're going to make all their *other* RPG releases flops, as they have been.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheHBK
@Zenaxzd:
Dude, chill out.  I am gonna take the high road and paraphrase my close and personal friend Ryan Davis.  If I have to play 25 hours for your game to get good, then your game is a piece of shit.  And you are right, 14 isnt the next big one, but thats the point I was making.  That 15 will come out even later and a little trust with Square Enix will be lost.
baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By baelrrogg
@ryanwho said:
" @baelrrogg said:
"  The thing is, from now on this is how JRPGs will play until SE makes a new FF battle system for all Jap devs to copy. "
Except nobody really did that for FF12, except Dragon Age recently. (I enjoyed both, by the way, before anyone bitches about the obvious parallels in the battle system) Fact is this isn't really a foregone conclusion anymore like it was in the wake of FFX or FF7. "

I disagre there, the gambit system was def not seen muh (xept like in DA:O) but the free-roaming, no scren shatter pacing was adopted pretty much uniersally from that point.  

In the wake of FF7, and FFX pretty much all other jrpg games aped their ATB system.  
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By habster3

No

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By jeffgoldblum

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 
Thats funny.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By chewii101

Square Enix could put a dead mouse in FFXIV's box and still sell 5 million worldwide. 

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JCGamer
@zombie2011 said:
" @JCGamer said:
" @jadeskye said:
I'm playing Mass Effect 2 now having just finished FFXIII and I have to say I'm having a lot more fun with Mass Effect than FF.  Speaking of sales, didn't Pachter predict that ME2 wouldn't be a huge seller (on the level of MW2).  While almost 2 million is a decent number not quite the figure the fan-boys were hoping for.  I think his prediction was spot on. "
Of course that prediction was spot on, no one thought ME2 would sell like MW2. ME2 is still an RPG not a shooter so most people will pass on it. "
I thought the prediction was a pretty decent one.  But several people (on this board I think) thought that the game would be so much more.  Pachter was criticized for saying that ME2 wouldn't be the hit EA wanted it to be and quoted around 2 million.  When the first set of NPD numbers came out, people started to say how Pachter was totally wrong and ME2 would be a huge hit.  Goes to show that the video game industry is like the movie industry, most of the money is made up front.  I think that for most games, even it the game is released the last week of the month, the NPD numbers will represent what the total sales will be, unless you are Nintendo.