MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MrKlorox
@Demoskinos said:

@DoctorDanger99: I think it was less that it was ever a bond game and more than it was just a great shooter for a console and nobody had ever seen that before. I think it being attached to the James Bond Licence was just incidental.

You're right. The 007 license was absolutely incidental to the game's success.

@Jazzycola said:

@DoctorDanger99 said:

ya know who would make a GREAT bond game? Rockstar.

That would be one of the most sarcastic games ever made. Bond isn't supposed to be this vehicle with the sole use of making observations of society. That fact would make Rockstar become so sarcastic that it would goes over the edge.

Agent was going to be a secret agent game developed by the GTA studio Rockstar North. But we haven't heard anything about it since Jack Tretton let on that it night no longer be an Sony exclusive in an E3 2011 interview with Doritos Keighley. Rockstar is just about the only company I would trust to do a serious open world spy game right.
Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Jazzycola

@MrKlorox: We never knew what the hell Agent was. All they ever showed was a logo at...what E3 2008? Let's say that Agent was a "spy" game, it still Agent does not make it in 007 universe. There's a huge difference between making a spy game and making a spy game that's in the 007 universe. Rockstar has a history of using its games to reflect how trivial certain things are in society. Neiko did it in GTA4, Max Payne does it in MP3, John Marston did it in RDR, and these are just recent examples. That doesn't fit in the 007 universe. James Bond isn't supposed to walk into an Aston Martin dealership and point out how stupid it is for him to buy such a flashy car to stay undercover. Also, Rockstar open world games have incredibly boring mission design and I highly doubt it would change for a stealth, open world game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I saw Skyfall at the premiere and it was pretty good.

On the game side however, Bond never really broke through in my opinion - and GoldenEye was only good in the sense of what it could achieve on the console limitations. Looking at the first person shooters on the PC, GoldenEye was never that amazing in comparison.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By vitor

@GunstarRed said:

Blood Stone was alright.

Yeah, I actually liked Blood Stone a fair bit. Not amazing but decent enough.

Everything or Nothing was the best single-player bond game by far though. They should stick to third person, they clearly can't compete with CoD so why try?

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By flindip

@Jazzycola: Yes and no. That cynicism wasn't really in LA Noire. Granted, they didn't technically develop that. But I think Rockstar has understanding of tone. With that said, it isn't like Bond has no cynicism as literary character. He has a ton of it.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Vexxan

I think Nightfire was a pretty good game, played that multiplayer for hundreds of hours with my cousin too.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Village_Guy said:

On the game side however, Bond never really broke through in my opinion - and GoldenEye was only good in the sense of what it could achieve on the console limitations. Looking at the first person shooters on the PC, GoldenEye was never that amazing in comparison.

I've been hearing amazing things for Skyfall. In fact, here in the US some outlets are saying that it's the best Bond film of all time (which I find hard to believe but we'll see). As a Bond fan though, I'm ecstatic.

I don't think Goldeneye killed Bond, but in fact reinvented and re-energized it for video games because up to that point Bond games weren't that good or immersive.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By flindip

@BonOrbitz said:

@Village_Guy said:

I've been hearing amazing things for Skyfall. In fact, here in the US some outlets are saying that it's the best Bond film of all time (which I find hard to believe but we'll see). As a Bond fan though, I'm ecstatic.

I don't think Goldeneye killed Bond, but in fact reinvented and re-energized it for video games because up to that point Bond games weren't that good or immersive.

Yeah, I think that is probably hype getting a bit out of control. I have no doubt it could very easily be the best Bond film in the past 30 years. I would have no doubt that it could be one of the best in the franchise. But, I am skeptical that its the best one ever made. The only people that seem to be throwing that around are reviewers who were not really fans of the franchise to begin with.

"Skyfall" being better than "From Russia with Love", "Goldfinger", or(imo) "Thunderball" makes me skeptical.

I think some reviewers are giving more brownie points based on Bond being more modern, and nuanced. That doesn't mean its better than some of those earlier Connery films.

But, I will see it and judge it for myself.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@flindip: exactly.when i say R* should make a bond game its because all R* games have a sense of style that would fit bond perfect.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By flindip

@DoctorDanger99 said:

@flindip: exactly.when i say R* should make a bond game its because all R* games have a sense of style that would fit bond perfect.

Yeah, I think Rockstar would be fine finding the tone of Bond. But I am not sure of Bond in a open world setting. Usually when they mean open world its usually confined to a connected city.

Considering that Bond is globe trotting to various locations, I think a "Deus Ex" level structure is probably more suitable.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By johncallahan

Bloodstone was actually a pretty decent game. Everything Or Nothing is the best Bond game. Loved Goldeneye at the time. Some truly great memories there, but thinking back on it, it wasn't so great.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Jazzycola

@flindip said:

@Jazzycola: Yes and no. That cynicism wasn't really in LA Noire. Granted, they didn't technically develop that. But I think Rockstar has understanding of tone. With that said, it isn't like Bond has no cynicism as literary character. He has a ton of it.

They didn't develop that and that's why there isn't that sarcastic,cynical tone in it. Rockstar knows tone when it's their own creation, but when it comes to going into somebody else's work they don't. Just look at Max Payne. I don't think Rockstar has the ability to look at somebody's work and make a game appropriate for that work. Sure, they have a "style" as doctordanger puts it, but that doesn't mean that style equates to good 007 material. Kojima has style, but that doesn't mean he should be making a 007 game. Though, I honestly think that would be a better choice than Rockstar.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By alexl86

My problem with James Bond games is that they make him a faceless killing machine. He may throw out a few quips now and then, but at the end of the day you solve 99% of the situations with a gun. I get that there's a lot of shooting in James Bond movies and it's much easier to push out a generic shooter, but maybe the developers of the next 007 game should take some cues from Mass Effect, Arkham Asylum, and Uncharted.

Of course, most of my arguments are invalidated by not playing a 007 game in the last 10 years, but from what I've seen and heard, I haven't missed much.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By crithon

the problem with the current bond games is they try to crank them out in this 10 month development cycle, and in that time they waste half the time hiring movie personalities in order to make it look like it's a triple A game when in reality it's a sub par b game.

The real question that should be asked is what do other games provide that almost all games do not.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MikeGosot
@Dagbiker said:

I never thought James Bond was a good character, in film nor in games. He is too perfect. And even when they try to make him more complicated nothing ever carries over from one film to the other.

Nothing matters, no matter how many people die, how many bad guys find out who he is, how many times he disobeys orders, they keep giving him his job back, they keep giving him a new car, and he 006 never dies, and even when he dose he never gets a promotion. The guy has no problems that a 35 year old jumping from building to building shooting guns and sleeping with strange woman would have.

I actually like him BECAUSE he's too perfect. I like these kinds of characters, and in the situations they get into. And the villains are more creative when the heroe's too perfect. Anyway, i don't like everything being inconsequential too, but again, i believe that James Bond is more than one man, so, that explains a tiny little bit of stuff.
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#66  Edited By Dagbiker

@MikeGosot said:

@Dagbiker said:

I never thought James Bond was a good character, in film nor in games. He is too perfect. And even when they try to make him more complicated nothing ever carries over from one film to the other.

Nothing matters, no matter how many people die, how many bad guys find out who he is, how many times he disobeys orders, they keep giving him his job back, they keep giving him a new car, and he 006 never dies, and even when he dose he never gets a promotion. The guy has no problems that a 35 year old jumping from building to building shooting guns and sleeping with strange woman would have.

I actually like him BECAUSE he's too perfect. I like these kinds of characters, and in the situations they get into. And the villains are more creative when the heroe's too perfect. Anyway, i don't like everything being inconsequential too, but again, i believe that James Bond is more than one man, so, that explains a tiny little bit of stuff.

I haven't watched the James Bond reboots, so perhaps they fixed some of my problems in those movies.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah I don't know why they keep making shooters out of them. When I see Bond, I think adventure game.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MikeGosot
@Dagbiker: The new movies, with Daniel Craig, make him more flawed, specially the last one, Skyfall. So... Give that a watch, i guess.
MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By MistaSparkle

I really liked Nightfire, From Russia with Love, and even the PS2/Xbox Goldeneye. Those were all great games, solely because of the awesome multiplayer. I know it sounds weird to say because people always clamor about singleplayer being where its at for games that aren't COD, but its true. All the traps and gadgets, not to mention the Golden Gun, made playing with your friends such a blast; however, now the games are just COD clones plain and simple. Nothing really standout about them at all, they're just you ordinary everyday shooter with Daniel Craig. I want the old style Bond games back.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MAGZine

Some of my favorite gaming memories are from Goldeneye and Nightfire. They were both fantastically fun games.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#71  Edited By Dagbiker

@MikeGosot: Ok, I will add it to my netflix.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By phantomzxro

I can't say i really agree with that statement. Goldeneye had many things going for it and was more open then a normal shooter would be when it came to mission structure. The real problem is Activision or any other company who wants a yearly money maker is not going to allow the time to make a truly creative bond game.

I'm also pretty sure they just say make it like call of duty or base it on the up coming movie. After a few failed games that's when they went with project lets bring back goldeneye games but lets make them still play like a modern action shooter.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By gaminghooligan

I think we need a hitman style bond game, one where the goal is to move through the game like a spy, add some gadgets and a bond girl, it might work. FPS was fine on the n64 but it just doesn't feel like bond anymore when they have it play like a CoD game