Do games sometimes make you feel motion sick?

• 86 results
Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Naoiko

Poll Do games sometimes make you feel motion sick? (226 votes)

Yes, it's always been that way though. 22%
No 64%
Yes, but it started recently as I age. 15%

With many games using motion blurs these days, I wonder just how common it is for people to get symptoms of motion sickness from playing/watching games. Any one else out there get sick watching or playing certain games? I know as I've aged I find myself more often feeling icky playing certain games. A great example of that would be FF Type 0 for PS4. I can't even watch that game being played let alone play it for long before I start to get woozy.

• 
ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Have never been motion sick from a game, but I rarely if ever get it in real life either (maybe twice ever?), so I'm probably just not prone to it at all.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Only two games have given me motion sickness, the first was Ace Combat: Assault Horizon and the other one was the alien levels in AVP on the 360 but only when I was jumping from wall to wall and running upside down.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#53  Edited By Giantstalker

Nope, never. Crank that DoF and motion blur up

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Only very occasionally.

For example I could never stand to play more than 15 minutes or so of Kane and Lynch 2. I still remember that I actually had to lay down after playing it for the first time.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio: Ginger? How do you consume it? I know drinking ginger ale has always been one of my go-to's for when I'm feeling sick to my stomach, but I hadn't thought about using ginger for motion sickness.

xXHesekielXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only game I've felt motion sick playing is Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X! Couldn't play more than one hour at a time without getting motion sick... But that's actually the only one.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By vocalcannibal

I used to have to take dramamine if I wanted to play Fallout 3, and I had to take long breaks between Portal 2 puzzles. I think I'm pretty much over it now, but sometimes it still catches me on a bad day and something as simple as youtube videos with shitty frame rates can make me really physically ill.

Edit: Oh, and I even remembered a recent example! It was either a Spookin' with Scoops or Quick Look Solo, but I'm thinking of that game where you play as the baby with the light up teddybear. That video made me miserably sick.

sergeantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing hand-held games in a moving vehicle will now sometimes have an effect on me, as well as some first-person shooters. When I was younger, I didn't have that issue. The exceptions to this were Red Faction 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I was sick as a dog within 5 minutes.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No. There was one game years ago, and I was a bit sick at the time, so I wouldn't count that one. So, no.

Velutha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Velutha

I have always been that way. I get queasy at a lot of games. Only 2 games have ever made me throw up though; a war game on the original Xbox, I can't remember which one and Star Wars Dark Forces.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ripelivejam

I thought it was weird that half life 2 always did a number on me wile i could play tf2 for hours with no or little ill effect, but it probably had to do with an FOV or graphical difference i wasn't keen on initially.

E: doom was always so rough on me, too. Dat bobbing effect *urrghhh*

OhHeyBrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game I've ever gotten motion sickness on so far has been Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on PS4. I loved the gameplay but after playing online for an hour I felt queasy and sick, and I ended up having to return the game because of it. I can make it through most other games fine, it just seems like that was the one that broke it for me.

hylian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By hylian

No

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope,havent experienced anything bad while playing a game thankfully.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

First person games with high frame rate and simple texture make me feel really sick. Can't play Jazz Punk or Anti-Chamber. Motion blur actually alleviates the problem for me, i think.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Almost never. I can only think of a few games in the course of all my game playing that have made me motion sick.

Typically it is FPS games. Half-Life 2 was probably my first and most severe case of experiencing motion sickness with a game - I eventually completed it but I couldn't play it for more than 10-15 minutes at a time and would typically have a headache after that. The only third person game I can think of that made me feel queasy was Kane & Lynch 2, but that game actively tries to make you motion sick.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@naoiko said:

@sergio: Ginger? How do you consume it? I know drinking ginger ale has always been one of my go-to's for when I'm feeling sick to my stomach, but I hadn't thought about using ginger for motion sickness.

Yep, that's what I'm doing: treating the nausea that comes with motion sickness. I had never even thought to use ginger to treat nausea, even though I had used it plenty of times for upset stomachs. Then I heard someone on a video game podcast (can't remember which, it was years ago and no longer exists) say that they kept ginger root in the fridge and would take a bit of it before playing first-person games.

I was a bit dubious but looked into it online. It seemed to actually work for some people. I tried ginger drops, something like these, and that worked. I tried drinking ginger ale, made from ginger and not just flavoring, ahead of time and while playing, and found that it was enough to help me. So I've pretty much stuck to drinking ginger ale whenever I play games.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They do if I play them on a boat.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More recently, yeah. It wasn't always this way though, and that deeply saddens me.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, never. But then I always go into options and disable motion blur and other stupid shit before starting the game.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't play anything made with the Source engine for more than 20 minutes without feeling like I've ingested something really bad. That said, I've finished all Half Life games, the first Portal, and VtM: Bloodlines is one of my all time favourite games. I've grown a wee bit soft in recent years, though (I don't have the time nor the will to suffer like that for a game anymore).

Nothing else affects me, though. Fallout 3 and NV, specifically, (since they seem to affect some people), I've played them both for hours straight without any issues.

Vitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Minecraft has managed to invoke motion sickness in me, and only once. And I was drunk off my ass.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By volemaulder

@vitz: Probably not even Minecraft, then? :P

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

Minecraft makes me ridiculously motion sick, no matter what settings I use or what platform I play it on. Other than that, the only times I get motion sick are during particularly nauseating loading screens or menu backgrounds (the menu screen in this game is an example of that, not that I've ever actually played it, but I can't even watch that part of the video), or when I'm actively spinning the camera nonstop, which I don't really do. Because it makes me sick.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope never. Even with my Oculus Rift DK2 I'm solid as a rock.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never got motion sick, but I have this tingly feeling that happens to me when I experience a 'falling' feeling in real life, like going over a steep hill in a car, on the way down I'll be all tingly, it's actually kind of fun.
I've had that experience happen while playing certain games with jumping/falling in them. But not all, just a handful, not sure what needs to be in one to set it off entirely helps if the falling has some sort of consequence towards it then that tends to be what does it.
Like Assassins Creed or Tomb Raider where falling has death as an outcome, never with Batman or something where you safe land all the time.

Calitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Early 3D games (N64/Playstation) used to give me motion sickness when they were new but not any more.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've run into couple of games that I couldn't finish because of severe motion sickness. Jazz punk is completely unplayable for me. After 10min of playing Jazz punk I get woozy and I have to lay down.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It happened on a 3D a few times, I think it was the last Gran Turismo game, I could only play for about 20 to 40 minutes before turning it off. Another game was Far Cry 4, so many trippy levels with deep fluid visuals.

olhadossight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had motion sickness since I was young. The first time it really held me back in a game, though, was Bioshock Infinite's skyrail sequences. The first person combined with the motion blur made me nearly vomit. I also have a very difficult time watching others play first person games that are fast (ex. Quake, UT, racing games, roller coaster sims) or any games with a lot of motion blur. I have to take prescription medication to get around this problem, though I've found that over the counter Dramamine does the trick too. I also recommend checking out this pressure point technique ( http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/patient-education/resources/acupressure-nausea-and-vomiting ) and trying ginger for the nausea. They're not foolproof cures, but can definitely help. All the best to those also dealing with this!

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I get a pretty intense falling feeling in my stomach when I drop from a great height in games, but that's it.

tomobedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By tomobedlam

i don´t usually get motion sickness, but low fov gives me headaches, but there´s a lot of tools and easy ini files modifications so i can live with that for the most part, i stoped playing titanfall because of that

Avatar image for deactivated-640902c98a1cd
deactivated-640902c98a1cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, first person does it to me as well. Not always, but it does have me worried that I won't be able to enjoy the VR revolution as much as I want to.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Generally, no. It has happened a couple times but I think that was more of a case of me not feeling well to begin with.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

No Caption Provided

Matoyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Matoyak

@redyoshi said:

Tomb Raider (the recent one) completely wrecked me to the point where I stopped playing it completely after two hours and have never gone back to it.

Same here. I should note that to this day the Tomb Raider reboot is the only game that has ever made me motion sick. (That bobbing camera...urp!) I don't really know what to answer on the poll in this case.

EDIT: Reading the rest of this thread I realized this was partly untrue: Fallout 3 made me queasy...but only when in menus. In-game I was fine. Pulling up the pipboy would make me nauseous and rapidly give me headaches.