Do people actually enjoy their games anymore?

CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CodyMetro

I pretty much see everywhere now a days where gamers keep saying "damn I gotta big backlog, I gotta rush and beat these games!". Really? You HAVE to beat them? Whatever happened to taking your time and actually enjoying them? It just seems to me that people with tons of cash to blow just end up buying all of these games, and feel the need to rush and finish them as fast as possible. I don't really see the fun in that, but to each their own I guess.

Thoughts?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

Once you've invested enough time into games, being up on them becomes part of your identity. People like their identities.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

that's how i play games. i beat a game whenever i feel like it, and always move onto something new. 

..that's probably why i started Portal about two years ago and as of right now i'm on chamber 18. 
Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Tanikaze

Completion's fun, dude. I like beatin' games. That's the whole point of playing hard ones, too.

Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Earthborn

Sometimes I buy a game with the intent of playing with a friend, which rarely happens. But then, there are those games I buy to play through methodically. Most rpgs and adventure games I play through with my wife. And yes, that can be (and is) enjoyable. =D

Blazing through games can be fun in its own way, but it's kind of like blazing through a book - you only can remember so much afterwards.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

I just play games until they're no longer fun to play. I'm not a collector, so I have only a fraction of the video games I've played in my life. The only time I might have a backlog of video games to play would be around Christmas, because I bought about two or three new games. I still don't try and beat them quickly. I just play the ones I like best until I finish the game or get bored and move on.

I do keep some games around that's fun for short bursts..

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By soldierg654342
I would say when you've invested a hefty sum of money into a library of games that you have not utilized, then yes, playing them is an imperative. 
Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maluvin

If I have a backlog of games it's because a number of good titles have come out that I'm genuinely interested in playing through but don't have enough time to knock them out to my personal satisfaction.   That usually means making it through the main plot if it has one or I feel like I've exhausted the gameplay to the point it is no longer interesting to me personally.  I generally don't bother getting 100% achievement completion on titles either unless they're genuinely fun achievements.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator  Online

Everyone enjoys games in their own way, some like to marathon through a whole stack of them, some people like to take a much more paced approach.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShaggE

It's *because* I enjoy games so much that, on the rare occasion that my broke ass has a backlog, I jump from game to game so quickly. It's a "grass is always greener" thing for me. (This game is great, but this other game hasn't even been started yet! What if it's better!? Oh god, so many games, and only 50 more years to play them, if I'm lucky!) :P

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By jacdg
@Claude said:
I just play games until they're no longer fun to play. I'm not a collector, so I have only a fraction of the video games I've played in my life. The only time I might have a backlog of video games to play would be around Christmas, because I bought about two or three new games. I still don't try and beat them quickly. I just play the ones I like best until I finish the game or get bored and move on. I do keep some games around that's fun for short bursts..
This pretty much sums up my views/habbits. I just traded in a big batch of games, most of them I hand't completed, simply because they were no longer fun, so I can happily say that I don't HAVE to beat every game, I take my time and enjoy them.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

I don't enjoy my games, I hate myself instead and cry silently whenever I pick up a controller.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Azteck
@Brendan said:
I don't enjoy my games, I hate myself instead and cry silently whenever I pick up a controller.
Sad trufax, bro...
Baconator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Baconator

I'm a completionist. I really don't have a choice but to finish a game I started. I hate putting down stuff  that doesn't feel like I've seen the whole thing. Because of this OCD-ish sort of take I'm very picky in what I buy. I remember getting MechAssault on the original Xbox, playing five minutes, hating it but still finishing the damn thing. Ugh.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

people have a back log because they end up buying the newest game and forget about the game they were currently playing. it's what happens to me all the time. i say sweet this game came out, start playing it and then a new game comes out. i end up buying that game and stop playing the one that i was currently playing. i'm on my way to beating the games that i currently have.

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hzaife

Im playing throught Dead Space 2 at the moment and its gotta be one of the best games ive ever played

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By bacongames

I  am definitely a back-log gamer now that I have some sort of a bank account but I hold off playing the new stuff (usually) until the old stuff has been played.  My gaming is also very mood-based so if I don't feel like playing a game, I won't.  I think the point is that getting through that back-log shouldn't be work because that's missing the point of arts and entertainment (i guess gaming is the A&E channel).  So there's a balance between sitting down and giving a game its due when playing it and always thinking about what games to be playing next.

I highly doubt most people with back logs rush through their games to get through them enjoying them less as a result.  I think most end up starting games but never finishing them or just skipping them entirely.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#18  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

As a bit of a collector who likes to play all the games I buy, I sort of get that mentality myself sometimes.  The truth of the matter is that while I'd love to say that every game I pick up is a good game that has me fully invested into it, that's just not going to happen.  It doesn't change the fact that I want to get my money's worth, however, so unless there are reasons I absolutely can't (Metal Dungeon, you stinking turd, I'm looking at you), I do try to at least get about 2/3's of the way through a game before allowing myself to shelve it for a while.

And then there are very, very rare moments when I want to rush through some of the boring parts to get to the good stuff.  I can only think of two examples of this in my collection off-hand, Final Fantasy XIII and Lord of the Rings Online.  FFXIII has a great late game, so I try to rush through the early stuff that doesn't hold my interest to get to what I believe will really appeal to me.  In the case of Lord of the Rings Online, once I feel like I've been saturated with a certain area, I'll often rush through the remainder of the quests or ignore them completely in favor of seeing something new and different with the end goal being that I really, really want to see the late game additions.

Other than that, I certainly don't try to rush through games unless they're either borrowed or rented, neither of which happen very often. 

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#19  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@CodyMetro: There's definitely that going on with people, especially if they're riding the wave of new releases all the time. I have a backlog and I haven't bought many new games in years, but I know the games will be there waiting for me, just like the DVDs and books I get when the mood strikes me. 

But yeah, if you have a big backlog and you're still buying games out of habit, just make sure you're getting them because you know you want to play them. If that margin gets too wide then you have to ask yourself what you're doing. Usually I'll wait to get a game and not buy it on release. About the only games I didn't wait for were GTA games because I enjoyed exploring them so much I didn't want anything to get ruined. I guess parts the industry sort of lives on leveraging impulse buys, though.
Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hzaife

You wanna see my backlog??? its FARKING HUGE, mainly because i play ONE game at a time and finish it before i start anything else, im a shift worker so i game every few days

Ok here i go...

GULP

360 backlog (most of which are still sealed, will put in brackets what i have finished)

Forza 3 Ultimate Edition
Ninja Gaiden 2
Assassins Creed
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Splinter Cell Conviction
Dead Rising
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Fable II
Fable III Collectors Edition
Alan Wake
Mass Effect
Halo 3
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Reach
Metro 2033
Bayonetta

PS3 
Silent Hill Homecoming
Enslaved 
Vanquish
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Borderlands GOTY
Dragon Age Ultimate Edition
Prince of Persia Trilogy
Bioshock (FINISHED)
Bioshock 2
Dead Space (FINISHED)
Dead Space 2 Limited Edition (CURRENTLY PLAYING THROUGH)
Fallout 3 GOTY (FINISHED)
The Elder Scrolls IV :Oblivion GOTY
Resistance: Fall of Man
Resistance 2
NBA Jam
Eternal Sonata
Devil May Cry 4
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune (FINISHED)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (FINISHED)
GTA Ultimate Edition
Yakuza 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Valkyria Chronicles
Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box
Killzone 2
inFamous (FINISHED)
Batman Arkham Asylum (FINISHED)
Demon's Souls
Assassins Creed 2  (White Complete Edition)
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
Castlevania; Lords of Shadow
Final Fantasy XIII
Super Street Fighter IV
Resident Evil 5 (Gold Edition)
Resident Evil 5 (Collectors Edition) (FINISHED)
Darksiders
God of War Collection (FINISHED)
God of War 3 (FINISHED)
Heavy Rain
Dante's Inferno
Dead Rising 2

PS2/PS1

Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil (FINISHED)
GTA Trilogy
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Manhunt (FINISHED)
Devil May Cry (FINISHED)
Devil May Cry 2
Devil May Cry 3 (Special Edition)
Onimusha: Warlords (FINISHED)
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3 (FINISHED)
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Okami

Wii & GC
Okami
Resident Evil 4 (Wii Edition) (FINISHED 3 TIMES)
Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube Collectors Edition)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil: 0 (FINISHED)
Resident Evil Remake (FINISHED)
Resident Evil 2 (FINISHED)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker (with Ocarina of Time)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii Version)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC Version)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid: Other M
A Boy & His blob
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Allstars: 25th Anniversary

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

I don't really rush to complete story driven games. I have beaten games at a pretty fast rate and still been able to enjoy them.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By melcene
@CodyMetro: To each their own.  I'm lucky if I beat more than one game a year.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By frankxiv

i'm too jaded and cynical to actually enjoy anything, if i rush to beat them at least i can say i've finished it

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Jeust

I agree. I never rush to finish games. And finish them multiple times if I really dig them. 

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By RobertOrri

People play games in a variety of different ways and for many different reasons. There's no one "right way" to enjoy games.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss
@CodyMetro said:
  "damn I gotta big backlog"
Enjoying games thouroughly is precisely why I have such a big backlog.
Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lemegeton

its not a case that people dont enjoy their games but in the last 2-3 years the industry has moved away from a seasonal model where all the triple A titles come out between oct and jan.
so many great games come out year round and people, myself included, dont want to miss out on a big release because they have 5-6 games left to finish.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Teoball

I play through my games pretty fast but I almost always pick them back up again, after I've played through all the recent games I wanted to play.

I've been playing LEGO Pirates the last couple of days, I also downloaded a good old Tex murphy game from gog.com. I am downloading The Witcher 2 at the moment and I'm eager to pick up L.A. Noir on friday. 

I like having a bunch of games waiting for me :)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Oldirtybearon

When I find myself busy or particularly taken with a title, and I have six or seven games waiting to get cracked open, I usually just shrug and tell myself I'll hit them in the summer months when nothing is coming out. After the summer, I wait until the Christmas break if I manage to accrue another back end.

I don't fucking understand the people who play a game they claim to enjoy for a few hours and then jump onto the new one. That part is something I'll never get. It just makes zero sense to me, and if something like Dead Space 2 or LA Noire can't hold your attention for longer than a few hours or a few evenings of play, then you might as well just rent video games and save yourself some money. 

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Sayishere

I dont like leaving games unfinished

and especially with new games constantly coming out that i want to play the old games just get left behind (and these games were some of the best of the years)

also things like prequels...for example i still havent played infamous 1 yet, and infamous 2 is coming out soon, i really want to finish it before infamous 2 comes out....this causes me to rush it and maybe not enjoy it as much

but this is a rare occurrence for me, i usually play a game and take my time, even if my backlog builds up i like playing games at my own speed
Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By unsolvedparadox

There isn't as much of an emotional or intellectual commitment overall, I fear.

I feel the other way, I have a huge pile of backlogged games that I'll take my sweet time with. If games aren't fun, they aren't worthwhile.
Magma_Pear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Magma_Pear

I tend to not finish a lot of games.

I'd say I finish about 20% of the games a I buy, and I tend to buy a lot. I also don't play a lot of multi-player. I find that this is because I work hard and have a family - so I don't play too much. Often when I finish a game it's because I think its so good that I can't put it down and usually finish them in a few days.

Otherwise it takes me much longer to finish a game and usually a new one that I want comes out before I'm done with the last one which distracts me. And this happens again and again etc. until I have big back log. When I start to see games pilling up, I try to go back and finish the ones I liked the most or which I feel like playing some more - otherwise I gather them all up and sell the whole lot for store credit on some new games.

So I'm not a collector - except that I find myself doing that a lot less these days because I realize how wasteful it is in terms of money. Especially since at times I get an urge to play a game I didn't finish and end up buying it used again. So what I do instead is I wish and pray a lot for games to show up for purchase on XBLA.

But that only describes my Xbox habbit. I find that I buy less PS3 games, but I have a nice collection going as I never seem to sell any of those. I believe this is because I only seem to own games on the PS3 which I consider gems. But on the 360 I buy a lot of games, they aren't shit games or anything like that - its just that since I've resigned to buying 3rd party titles on 360 due to quality and online play, the PS3 naturally take a back seat. So the games I own on PS3 are all exclusives.

By the same token, on 360 I have games that I won't ever get rid of - but a lot of those I have actually gotten rid of once they showed up for digital purchase. I have to say I really do enjoy not having all the damned game boxes around and much prefer loading up digital copies right from the hard drive. Makes my man cave much neater and trust me with two kids it gets messy enough without all the boxes and disks all around the TV and unfortunately I'm not a neat enough person to keep up with it all. Especially when you consider that I have a saturn and PSX down there and a bunch of those games which I still play.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I don't enjoy my games the same way i did 6 or even 3 years ago, the industry has big suits capitalizing on our hobby as we stand still taking their dicks in the ass...

games don't feel as great anymore, there's so much PR bullshit, and the big corporations ripping us off on every occasion and feeding us crap

i still enjoy playing video games, and a chunk of my income goes to upgrading my PC and purchasing games, but... it kinda sucks now
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By animateria

I still love it.

But I'll be the first to admit that I don't necessarily find the need to beat games immediately.

Some games will take a couple years because I'll be off and on. 

And some, well, I just don't beat em.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By napalm

I keep a select few games around to replay because they are awesome. God Hand and Doom 3 are still in my collection because they are awesome.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I enjoy games, which is why my backlog is huge, I take time to play them and not rush.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wickedsc3

I know it happens to me because with work and everything else its harder to find time to play games.  But if I know its a good game I will pick it up anyways and keep it until a day comes that I have time.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By Levio

Many MMO players do not enjoy what they are doing ingame, yet they keep playing anyway.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kandycane2029

If I didn't, I wouldn't play 'em. Simple as that.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By James_ex_machina

There are few games that I feel the need to rush through. It's rare I sit down with a game and finish right away. There are a few that are so addictive and fun that I will play for hours each day until I finish like Borderlands, Alan Wake and a few others. My problem is I got so wrapped up in buying games on clearance that I ended up with 60+ games. THANKS CHEAPY D!

Now when I sit down to play a game I have NO IDEA which one to pick. I'm hoping to beat them all someday. I have extra motivation to get through LA Noire starting this weekend. My gf will ask me to play it just so she can watch it. I wasn't allowed to play Alan Wake without her and that rule is in affect for LA NOIRE. If she wanted to watch all the other games..... 
primebacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By primebacon

this is an issue for me too. I don't necessarily rush through titles I have not completed yet but just leave them in the backlog with a plan to one day return. If I find a game boring I won't make myself complete it just for the trophies/achievements. However I find myself enjoying newer games less, maybe because I have less time to play them or maybe because much of them are not that good. I still play some of my old favorites from time to time.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pfft, I think I've completed like 20 games in my life. Tops 30.

I tend to play for a handful of hours until monotony sets in. That's why I'm enjoying the story based trend at the moment. It actually pushes me through.
mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By mau64

It's me spending $60 on a product that I want to fully enjoy. My taste in different games keep expanding as I see my backlog grow and grow. Games don't really have that summer low moment when instead of getting sun I can stay inside and catch up. Now I work full time, have a wife and home, and barely any time to enjoy what I want. I don't like to start games and not finish them unless I absolutely don't like them.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By floodiastus

Im the opposite, im saving games for when I can really delve deep into them with the right mindset. Right now im waiting for my lungs to recover so I can smoke a big bad bowl of weed tomorrow so to finish portal 2.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By penguindust

I never worry about finishing games anymore.  I just play when I feel like it (which can include long periods of inaction) and then I play until the game is no longer all that interesting.  If I've gotten my money's worth of entertainment, I am satisfied by the purchase.  If not, then I know to be more cautious next time.  I have a bunch of games unfinished and quite a few unplayed.  I'll get around to them or I won't.  It doesn't really matter in the long run.  It's not like curing cancer or anything.