Do you believe in user generated content?

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regularassmilk

Personally, Yes. With games like LBP and Modnation coming around, theres tons of cool user-generated gameplay, accessories, its just mind-blowing. I'm not going to say its the future of gaming, but it definitely has a spot in the future of gaming. Some LBP and Modnation stuff has blown my mind, and Modnation just came out.
What do you guys think of user generated content?

LetsRockBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By LetsRockBaby

As long as people make some pretty kickass stuff, I welcome user-generated content.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Shadow

I'm a user generated content denier.  You can't prove LittleBigPlanet exists, and you can't prove I made levels in it.  There is no such thing as user generated content.  Those Sackboy corpses could have come from anywhere.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scrawnto

User generated content is the best part of games like Fallout 3. It's also a pretty big deal for Team Fortress 2. I play mostly PC games, by the way. Those games are kind of different from LBP and Modnation though. I don't think user generated content even gets a blurb on the back of Fallout 3's box. 

I really like the idea of games inspiring people to flex creative muscles they might otherwise never use.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mylifeforAiur

After playing LittleBigPlanet I do. Some pretty awesome stuff, which is impressive to me anyway.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Hell yeah dude. It's what makes a lot of PC games so great! 

And seeing all the LBP stuff makes me wish I had the money for a PS3.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ectoplasma

While I accept other people's "beliefs", I myself only trust in science.

wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wormz

Yep. Playing a map of my school in Doom back in the day, seeing Counter-Strike being born, how could I not? It's cool seeing consoles starting to get that same stuff today with LBP and other games.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

I..BELIEVE!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Why would anyone not believe in user-generated content? We've all seen that video game fanbases can produce some amazing stuff.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By schizogony

I only like user generated content that is really bad.  That generates lols. 

The really good stuff that gets regular civilians hired on to big companies can eat my butt hairs.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

nah.. i like to stick to what the devs give me and thats enough

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

As long as there is a good system in place to filter the trash out, and lets people easily access the top quality stuff, sure.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheChaos

No, it's a myth.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

No. Regardless of how well-done it is, I just don't give a shit.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JB16
@Shadow said:
" I'm a user generated content denier.  You can't prove LittleBigPlanet exists, and you can't prove I made levels in it.  There is no such thing as user generated content.  Those Sackboy corpses could have come from anywhere. "
But sir we have evidence of it's existence, we have the factory sites where the games were manufactured and we have records of the levels that were created.
Overwatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Overwatch

Yeah, I belive in it, but it has to be heavily moderated, so the shit don't get to other users. Only the good stuff.

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By andrela

Yup, it's pretty brilliant. 

Some of my favourite multiplayer maps are user generated

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SlasherMan

Of course. Modding has been one of the backbones of many PC games in the past, and still is.

Just look at the sheer number of mods and complete overhauls there are for Valve's games, Bethesda's games, the Unreal games, Crysis and more.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Semition

It's been great for the PC for years.

Counter-Strike, Dota, Oblivion mods (which imo makes Oblivion not trash), Fallout 3 mods, not to mention the tower defense genre which was largely popularized by custom maps on RTSs.

I'm not very hyped about LBP's or Modnation's user-generated content though, especially with Starcraft 2's Galaxy Editor coming out.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SlasherMan
@Semition: Totally forgot about DoTA! How could I forget Blizzard's games moddability?

You should check out some of the mods already being made for StarCraft 2. Flipping amazing stuff!
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spaceturtle

Hell yes! I love user generated content. It basically gives the game (with the help of users of course) the ability to expand and become bigger and perhaps fuller experience. I'm especially thinking of stuff made for PC games -- mod's and so forth. That's nothing but awesome.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ProfessorEss

I still don't know.  I find for every decent piece of user generated content there's hundreds of shitty ones and with my limited game playing hours I just don't feel I have the time or patience to be bothered filtering through it anymore.

Sure things like DotA and Counterstrike are awesome but they seem to be the exception, not the rule.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kashif1

i belive that 90% of it is crap and the other ten percent is awesome

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SlasherMan
@ProfessorEss: That's why there are round-ups, top tens, recommended lists and so forth on many websites. Someone else goes through all the crappy mods to find the gems so you don't have to. :P
mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mattbosten

Yes; when I look at all the mods available for games like Oblivion and CS it is quite clear that their is a lot of talent and originality in the user generated content space. User generated content is often more entertaining than that created by an actual developer, I imagine in part due to the developer being guided (read: strictly instructed) to use the tools available to create something specific. Whereas a user can create anything they want.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Binman88

Yes and no. I absolutely loved user created mods for Morrowind on the PC earlier this decade, with people creating hours of unique gameplay and thousands of item mods with the toolset Bethesda provided. However, I have absolutely no interest in downloading content created in games like ModNation Racers and LBP. User content in those games just seems a bit boring and useless.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss
@SlasherMan said:
" @ProfessorEss: That's why there are round-ups, top tens, recommended lists and so forth on many websites. Someone else goes through all the crappy mods to find the gems so you don't have to. :P "
Oh for sure, guess I'm more commenting on the overall concept.
Especially the LBP and ModNation scene - they just don't have the necessary filtering systems that a lot of the PC communities have.
vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#29  Edited By vigorousjammer
@SlasherMan said:

" @ProfessorEss: That's why there are round-ups, top tens, recommended lists and so forth on many websites. Someone else goes through all the crappy mods to find the gems so you don't have to. :P "

Exactly, I completely agree... plus, ProfessorEss, would you rather NOT HAVE ANY mods or have good ones and the bad ones.  Think about a world with no mods...
think about how Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament would have been like without mods.  They would have died off shortly after they were released.

Let's face it, User-Generated content keeps games lasting for longer.  Even on the smallest scale.
I could play a bunch of crappy Tony Hawk 3 maps and still have fun... it wouldn't keep me playing the game for years and years, but probobly for another couple of months than I would have. Now what if Tony Hawk 3 had a complete mod community on the PC and we got a bunch of full-on mods complete with new graphics, sounds, lighting effects, etc.  It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's done well, those mods would keep me coming back to the game. Just like how mods from Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament kept us playing for years after it's release.

Regardless of the crappy mods, the good ones always, and I mean ALWAYS make up for it.

Modding has never been a term used on consoles, basically, cause you're not diving into code and creating new textures, etc.

In the case of LittleBigPlanet, I think that was basically the starting point for "Console game mods" just because it was incredibly customizable.
Mod Nation Racers upped the ante, and from what I've seen of it so far I think LBP2 is going to up it once again.
regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By regularassmilk
@ectoplasma said:
" While I accept other people's "beliefs", I myself only trust in science. "
I see what you did there.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iam3green

user generated content is great to have. it is especially good on the PC. it gives user more things to do in the game. i would say that if more video games have more support games would be even better. little big planet and modnation racers are pretty good also.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Djeffers03

It's all lies!

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers