Do you feel the staff size increase has negatively impacted GOTY?

• 54 results
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@werupenstein: I'm not sure that was true to Giant Bomb, but to me, that's very true.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get why they have to do a site wide top 10 GOTY, but it is by far the least interesting list to me. Everybody's individual top 10s are the most interesting because I know so much about their tastes that I can get a really good feel for what I need to go back and check out from the year, and what I can pass on. The themed categories leading up to the top 10 are also very interesting, and the deliberations are always hilarious, but the collaborative GOTY is always just a mess. Like you said, it's always just a bunch of compromises, and games that only 1 of them has played but that they had super high on their list. It really means nothing. Sometimes it lines up well and you get a really solid list that most of them can agree on, but more often than not so far it has been kind of bland and scattershot. I'm sure it gets them a lot of traffic though so I definitely can't fault them for it. I can just ignore it so it's fine by me as long as they keep doing their individual lists.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The staff size was minus 2 from 2015's GOTY wasn't it? Patrick and Austin... Or did Patrick leave the year before... Either way regardless of the staff size I just didn't enjoy this years deliberations nearly as much as the previous ones but I can't quite put my finger on why. I remember a certain sort of lasting joy when I listened to 2015's Day 5 that I just didn't get this year.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be GOTY West and GOTY East

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I think this year was great, because regardless of where games are placed, each contributor who championed specific games did a great job conveying what they liked about those games.

Meaning that I will have to play:

Thumper

Hyper light Drifter

Superhot

Virginia

Etc

Because without this style of deliberations I wouldn't really have been interested in these games

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@wmoyer83: This is how I felt. I was making notes during all the deliberations whenever something interested me. Coincidentally there was a Steam sale at the same time as these guys were talking up a bunch of games. Follow the money!